2023 Portal Discussion Thread

toddc

7 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Keon Coleman would be a huge pickup at WR. 

Yes he would but apparently attitude . We cannot deny his talent .

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

Very talented.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, DAG said:

interesting.
He is definitely the most talented wide receiver in the room. I found it odd that rivals said he would not be a take at this time a few days ago. I guess this explains it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

No, I think it would be a Huge mistake to accept his commitment.  

The foundation CHF is building still wet.  Need to let it cure before you take a flier on certain red flags.

You’re so full of it.  Full of very wise metaphors.

• Haha 2

So far we have added 9 OL in the last 6 months. Hahaha wth 

Also that big ole Juco boy, Jie Normus,  is visiting this weekend. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Jeffery Lee walked that back on ON3, pretty definitively. He insured that Coleman has not visited and may not. 

I think Hoke got into some trouble behind the scenes for that one. The members were pissed that Hoke would announce something like that publicly without telling the paying members first. 

Interesting,  I thought Hoke was the cats meow at ON 3

6 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Incredible job by Danny Hugh and Co.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Final 3 positions of need for Auburn football as summer approaches

Richard Silva

Montgomery Advertiser

AUBURN — Auburn football's roster overhaul is nearly complete.

The latest addition to the Tigers came Monday evening, as former Tulsa offensive lineman Jaden Muskrat committed to Auburn and reunited with Philip Montgomery, who coached the Golden Hurricane for the last eight seasons before getting fired and then hired to be Freeze's first offensive coordinator at Auburn.

Muskrat is the fourth transfer to commit to the Tigers in May, joining wide receiver Caleb Burton (Ohio State), pass rusher Jalen McLeod (Appalachian State) and quarterback Payton Thorne (Michigan State). Since Freeze was hired in November, Auburn has added 15 players from the transfer portal, with the majority of those newcomers poised to play significant roles in 2023.

With the summer approaching and limited roster spots remaining, here are the last few positions of need Freeze should address ahead of his first season at Auburn.

JOHN COHEN:Why Auburn AD hasn't made up his mind on SEC football schedule decision

RECRUITING:How Auburn football's Hugh Freeze has done in building relationships with in-state coaches

Wide receiver

The Tigers landed a commitment from Burton on Saturday, but that doesn't mean they should be satisfied with their current crop of receivers.

Burton, who was rated by the 247Sports Compositeas the No. 132 player in the Class of 2022, comes to Auburn after not seeing the field in Year 1 with the Buckeyes. He still has all four years of eligibility remaining, and his addition may prove to be one that's more beneficial in the long run than in the short term.

But Auburn also needs immediate impact. The Tigers lost Tar'Varish Dawson and Landen King to the portal in April, and that was after Freeze identified the position in March as one of top the groups that "just have a long way to go." Giving the starting QB − whether it be Thorne, incumbent Robby Ashford or Holden Geriner − more pieces should be Auburn's top priority.

Defensive end

Auburn didn't lose many impactful players to the portal after spring practices, but the biggest departure was defensive lineman Jeffrey M'ba, who joined first-year coach Ryan Walters at Purdue.

M'ba, though he may not have started, was primed to be a key piece in the defensive line rotation. The Tigers have three positions on the line in defensive coordinator Ron Roberts' system: defensive end, defensive tackle and nose tackle. M'ba was practicing as a defensive end, where Marcus Harris started at A-Day.

With M'ba gone, Auburn could use a serviceable backup at the position to spell Harris and provide depth in the event he goes down with an injury.

Linebacker

Speaking to reporters April 4, linebackers coach Josh Aldridge explained how he wants about five LBs to receive meaningful time on the field in 2023. The top two players at the position would see about 45 snaps per game, the following duo would get about 25-30 and the last piece would receive roughly 10-15 plays.

Wesley Steiner and Ole Miss transfer Austin Keys left spring practice in the best position to be starters, with Cam Riley and Robert Woodyard Jr. primarily backing them up. Auburn has other linebackers on the roster, like Eugene Asante and LSU transfer DeMario Tolan, but bringing in another player to compete for that last spot in the rotation couldn't hurt.

Richard Silva is the Auburn athletics beat writer for the Montgomery Advertiser. He can be reached via email at rsilva@gannett.com or on Twitter 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

He gets a lot of flack for some of his takes that go very wrong (like the Tank thing) but at least he puts himself out there. J Lee does the same (which is why he was nicknamed 70% from his days at rivals). 

One thing about Rivals is that JG plays it too safe at times - never taking chances on saying anything because he knows it can backfire. 

26 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Why would we ever sign so many in such a short time? 

clin-doeil-wink.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I'll get on my Hoke soapbox again.  The guy doesn't know what he's talking about when it comes to football.  There is a reason when they have the call in shows and talk football recruiting he isn't involved.  He's solid on basketball but take anything he says on football with a grain of salt.  The only reason he is on the Roundtable is I think he's the de facto On3 Auburn guy.  JLee, Cole, and JHead are support staff.  I called Hoke out for plagiarizing almost word for word a post with a breakdown of the 1st scrimmage.  I double and triple checked before I posted it and he in no way credited the poster who provided the information in any way.  When I tried to get on the board again I was banned.  Dude is a huge baby with zero or very unreliable inside sources.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I’ve always like the other 3 way more than Hoke lol

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

You’re so full of it.  Full of very wise metaphors.

Oh he's full of the other stuff too.

#BeatGolfToIt

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Nope. He just runs the AU On3 site. He's been out for himself on info so many times now that even I have to admit it. I expect better from an Auburn grad.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

The only reason he is on the Roundtable is I think he's the de facto On3 Auburn guy. 

@Win4AU I think you meant The Next Round, which is the guys who used to be on The Round Table radio show. Anyway, Hoke is a guest on the Next Round because when the guys were on The Round Table Hoke covered recruiting and had a high school football show on the same radio station while he was a student at AU and he was on the Round tale quite a bit.

42 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Nope. He just runs the AU On3 site. He's been out for himself on info so many times now that even I have to admit it. I expect better from an Auburn grad.

He can come off as arrogant at times

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Oh he's full of the other stuff too.

#BeatGolfToIt

Just remember...

FSwBYtkUEAANaZF.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1

37 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

He can come off as arrogant at times

That's the Rush Propst era Hoover in him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

@Win4AU I think you meant The Next Round, which is the guys who used to be on The Round Table radio show. Anyway, Hoke is a guest on the Next Round because when the guys were on The Round Table Hoke covered recruiting and had a high school football show on the same radio station while he was a student at AU and he was on the Round tale quite a bit.

Gotcha.  I’ve listened to Wjox for years and guess the name just didn’t connect with me.  That’s even worse that he’s been doing this for so long.  

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Why would we ever sign so many in such a short time? 

clin-doeil-wink.gif

My hope is that we are able to find at least one that we can convert to a long snapper. If not I consider this a huge failure by Freeze. 

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, gr82be said:

My hope is that we are able to find at least one that we can convert to a long snapper. If not I consider this a huge failure by Freeze. 

Meh. Just let Mikey do it.

3 hours ago, gr82be said:

Just have a team without an adequate LS and see what happens. For several plays in every game, LS is the most important O-lineman.

6 hours ago, Mikey said:

Just have a team without an adequate LS and see what happens. For several plays in every game, LS is the most important O-lineman.

My father taught me that skill and I was a long snapper in highschool, a skill I taught my son who was also a long snapper. I had meetings and drills with the receivers because I was first and foremost a receiver. I don't discount the importance of the job a long snapper does but for the sake of the argument being made by many on here regarding recruiting o linemen the case of LS being included fails miserably when crediting a coach for his shortcomings at that position. 

• Like 1