2023 Portal Discussion Thread

toddc

24 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Who, IYHO, do you think might fill those spots?   I haven’t heard much chatter on those defensive spots.  

Burton, Lemonade-Gelato, and Shorter maybe

Ukwu as edge 

Nixon possibly at LB

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Burton, Lemonade-Gelato, and Shorter maybe

Ukwu as edge 

Nixon possibly at LB

Shorter could take us on to victory land!

Edited by yngwie1995

22 minutes ago, yngwie1995 said:

I see what you did there. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Ukwu as edge 

Would like got him to get in board. We should easily beat out Mizzou and I think Cal (??)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Would like got him to get in board. We should easily beat out Mizzou and I think Cal (??)

Ole Miss is the other finalist & he is supposedly visiting them this weekend.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Burton

Nixon is between us and Miami 

• Like 1

Colorado receiver is a lock

north Texas receiver is currently in Auburn 

keon Coleman will not be visiting 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

15 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Colorado receiver is a lock

north Texas receiver is currently in Auburn

3 WR seems like a lot

2 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

3 WR seems like a lot

When the staff said the receivers were one of the groups they were least happy with they weren’t bluffing.

Ohio State kid is considered an all-around type guy

Colorado kid is a bigger receiver at 6’2” not massive but big

North Texas kid is a legitimate deep threat/burner

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

3 WR seems like a lot

I think they would like to replace everyone except maybe Camden Brown on the roster at WR.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, CR said:

I think they would like to replace everyone except maybe Camden Brown on the roster at WR.

Ja’Varrius will definitely be a factor but obviously he only has one more year 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Auburn #1 yet?

In our hearts 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Zeek said:

In our hearts 

Seriously though.  With an improved Oline, QB, WR, stacked RB, stacked TE, improved Dline, deep secondary is Auburn a couple LB recruits away from contending in the West?  I'm thinking neck and neck with Ole Miss and Texas A&M for 3rd in the West behind LSU and Bama.  I'll take Freeze over Lane and Jimbo as far as coaching ability. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Seriously though.  With an improved Oline, QB, WR, stacked RB, stacked TE, improved Dline, deep secondary is Auburn a couple LB recruits away from contending in the West?  I'm thinking neck and neck with Ole Miss and Texas A&M for 3rd in the West behind LSU and Bama.  I'll take Freeze over Lane and Jimbo as far as coaching ability. 

Yeah I think 3rd is a reasonable expectation. Much more improved over last season for sure. 

6 hours ago, yngwie1995 said:

Shorter took us to draft beer before Montgomery had it.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Zeek said:

When the staff said the receivers were one of the groups they were least happy with they weren’t bluffing.

Ohio State kid is considered an all-around type guy

Colorado kid is a bigger receiver at 6’2” not massive but big

North Texas kid is a legitimate deep threat/burner

Heard Mardner is pretty much just another tall guy. Not coming along at all.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, Win4AU said:

Auburn #1 yet?

In transfer rankings nope! And won’t get there. Last I saw earlier today we are #4 on both sites though.

12 hours ago, Win4AU said:

I would like to caution everyone and remind them certain players have to gel. Quarterbacks have to get used to their receivers height, speed, tendencies, and preferences of ball placement.

Offensive lines have to get a lot of reps together to gel. There’s a reason why the last time we had a good OL the majority of those guys started young and stayed together a while.

Defensively I have some serious concerned about two of our starting secondary players. Linebackers are the key piece to a defense and that’s probably our weakest position group.

Add that with a tough road schedule and a brand new offensive scheme… we need to be patient.

Until I see something that shows otherwise I am heading into the season expecting 6 wins and hoping for 8. We as fans need to realize this program has been bled dry by paying people not to work here. Whether we like it or not we’re going to have to grit our teeth and give the staff time to cook. LSU’s turnaround is not normal.

All that said, I think we’re at least 2 wins better after the recent additions and projected players that we should land.

The 2024 recruiting class should be top 15. 2025 could legitimately be top 5 if we show a good product and get NIL to a solid point.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Zeek said:

Defensively I have some serious concerned about two of our starting secondary players. Linebackers are the key piece to a defense and that’s probably our weakest position group.

I'm okay with the secondary. Safety is a concern, but I believe we have the talent they just need to understand zone concepts a little better.  

MLB scares me. I'm hoping Woodyard can take it, but we're thin.  I'd love to add Nixon from UNT.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Zeek said:

I would like to caution everyone and remind them certain players have to gel. Quarterbacks have to get used to their receivers height, speed, tendencies, and preferences of ball placement.

Offensive lines have to get a lot of reps together to gel. There’s a reason why the last time we had a good OL the majority of those guys started young and stayed together a while.

Add that with a tough road schedule and a brand new offensive scheme… we need to be patient.

Until I see something that shows otherwise I am heading into the season expecting 6 wins and hoping for 8. We as fans need to realize this program has been bled dry by paying people not to work here. Whether we like it or not we’re going to have to grit our teeth and give the staff time to cook. LSU’s turnaround is not normal.

All that said, I think we’re at least 2 wins better after the recent additions and projected players that we should land.

The 2024 recruiting class should be top 15. 2025 could legitimately be top 5 if we show a good product and get NIL to a solid point.

Thank you. We do not need to set ourselves up for failure with unreal expectations. I do like that the schedule is more favorable, but this is a marathon not a sprint. Success comes from consistently building a foundation. This is just the start.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

I'm okay with the secondary. Safety is a concern, but I believe we have the talent they just need to understand zone concepts a little better.  

MLB scares me. I'm hoping Woodyard can take it, but we're thin.  I'd love to add Nixon from UNT.

I would like if we could add enough talent to keep Steiner off the field lol. Great person but horrendous LB

• Like 1

What happened with Austin Keys shoring up ILB?? Same with Tolan at the other LB spot

• Like 2