2023 Portal Discussion Thread

toddc

24 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Thompson is apparently visiting this weekend.

I read he is coming tomorrow.   Sunday AU weather 65 and sunny.   Could be a great day.

Caleb Burton

Edited by toddc

Jaleb McLeod 

31 minutes ago, CR said:

Quality players at positions of need. Do it Freeze.

No kidding. The portal exploded over the last few days. 5 kids on campus today and tomorrow at positions of need.

And everyone wants to see if/when a quarterback shows up

image.gif

Caleb Burton is a stud. He and Casey Thompson would go a loooong way to solving our offensive shortcomings.

• Like 2

Dude, I would be thrilled with Thompson. I watched a few of his games last year & he was electric at times. He is much better option than some of the QB’s that have been mentioned. Will be great for legitimate competition in the QB room. Feel like he is amazing fit for Freeze’s style of O as well. Hope this plays out well for us.

Edited by TAYLORKEETON
  • Like 1

Dylan Brooks hit the portal. We are loosing an alarming amount of dlinemen or am I just paranoid 

13 minutes ago, tbone4jc said:

Dylan Brooks hit the portal. We are loosing an alarming amount of dlinemen or am I just paranoid 

Yes

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, tbone4jc said:

Maybe he might know someone coming in and chose to get out 🤷

21 minutes ago, tbone4jc said:

Paranoid. Brooks was 3rd team (of 3) and we have 2 EDGE guys on campus. Any of them commit and he keeps dropping.

Can't be an edge when you look like a DB.

MBa was a disappointment, but he's also so raw still and he'd be limited contributor at best

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Paranoid. Brooks was 3rd team (of 3) and we have 2 EDGE guys on campus. Any of them commit and he keeps dropping.

Can't be an edge when you look like a DB.

MBa was a disappointment, but he's also so raw still and he'd be limited contributor at best

Agreed.  Mba is the only one I was disappointed in losing so far.  I thought Brooks had a lot of potential, but the fact that he showed zero movement up the depth chart in a super thin position was very telling.   Good luck to him wherever he goes.   
Side note: that is another death blow to the recruiting of the previous regime, which was already easily the worst in AU history.   

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Agreed.  Mba is the only one I was disappointed in losing so far.  I thought Brooks had a lot of potential, but the fact that he showed zero movement up the depth chart in a super thin position was very telling.   Good luck to him wherever he goes.   
Side note: that is another death blow to the recruiting of the previous regime, which was already easily the worst in AU history.   

Agree with everything you said. 

2022 (Junior)
Casey Thompson battled through injuries to start 10 of 12 games at quarterback in his first season at Nebraska in 2022, missing the Minnesota and Michigan games due to injury. He completed 63 percent of his passes (173-of-274) for 2,407 yards and 17 touchdowns, while adding five rushing touchdowns. Thompson had three 300-yard passing games this season, becoming only the fifth quarterback in Husker history with three 300-yard passing games in a season. He has also threw at least one touchdown pass in each of his 10 games.

Thompson's 2,407 passing yards ranked seventh in school history while his 17 touchdown passes tied for 10th on Nebraska's season chart. Thompson ranked 12th nationally in passing yards per completion (13.9) in 2022, 14th in passing yards per attempt (8.8) and 29th in passing efficiency (150.1).

Thompson completed 25-of-42 passes for 355 yards and one touchdown in his debut against Northwestern. His 355 passing yards led the nation in Week 0 and were the most passing yards by a Husker in his debut and the most passing yards in a season opener in school history. Against North Dakota, Thompson threw for 193 yards and two touchdowns. He accounted for four total touchdowns against Georgia Southern, throwing for 318 yards and one score while setting a career high with three rushing touchdowns. He passed for 129 yards and one touchdown against No. 6 Oklahoma. Thompson completed 18-of-27 passes for 270 yards and two touchdowns against Indiana, while adding a one-yard rushing touchdown.

Thompson led Nebraska's comeback win at Rutgers. He completed 24-of-36 passes for 232 yards with two second-half touchdown passes as the Huskers overcame a 13-point halftime deficit. The next week at Rutgers, Thompson threw for 354 yards and two touchdowns, averaging a whopping 22.1 yards per completion. Thompson threw for 172 yards and one touchdown in less than a half while facing the nation's No. 1 pass defense against No. 17 Illinois, but an injury kept him out for the final series of the first half and the entire second half. The injury also kept him out of the Minnesota and Michigan games. He returned to start against Wisconsin and was Nebraska's leading rusher and passer, throwing for 120 yards and two touchdowns while rushing for 33 yards. In the season finale at Iowa, Thompson led Nebraska to a win by completing 20-of-30 passes for 278 yards and three touchdowns.

Yes please. 

• Like 1

Glad Casey Thompson is visiting, but they need to vet the heck out of him health wise….he had shoulder surgery after the season ended to his throwing shoulder and he’s missed most of spring practice.

But aside from Leary and McCall he is definitely a better prospect than most others that have been discussed.   Don’t think he’s a championship level QB but he should be serviceable and better than our current options.  

Plus he’s had Big 10 and Big 12 experience, might as well round out his college experience in the SEC 😂

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Chaotic_zx said:

to me that means 6 wins tops.

Not with our favorable schedule for a change. Should win 7 minimum even with the QBs we have.

• Like 1