2023 Portal Discussion Thread

toddc

I was watching Locked on Auburn podcast this past morning and Zac Blackerby and Charlie 5 were breaking down the players we have offered in the portal. Then they brought up Chase Nolan from Oregon State and said his injury is keeping teams from recruiting him and that's why he has sat in the portal since December. 

So in the comments a lady named Beth Martin kinda got pissy with Zac and told him his research isn't accurate and the injury has nothing to do with why he has been in the portal awhile. She said that Chase graduated and got his degree 2 weeks from Oregon State and now he will be a grad transfer. She said 5 teams have talked to him and want to bring him in for a tour of the facilities at their schools. She said Purdue, Indiana, Minnesota, TCU and Texas A&M are the 5 schools that offered him. He is flying to Indiana and Purdue to talk to those schools. Then he will visit Minnesota. She never said if he will go visit TCU or Texas A&M but they did offer him. She said Auburn HAS contacted him but never made an offer and he isn't coming to visit us. 

Btw, she was on a War Rapport episode as well. I'm not sure if she is kin to Chase or a friend of the family but she was definitely setting the record straight with those podcasts. 

I know that none of us on this board have been too gung ho about him but I thought I would update that, according to her, he will end up at one of those 5 schools I mentioned. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

According to who?

Locked on Auburn this morning. They never confirmed anything with any detail, but Zach alluded to Grayson being back in the mix. The name of the episode is "Is Grayson McCall Auburn football's next quarterback?" 

This could be Zach just drumming something up to talk about on a slow week for AU news but it gives me hope.

Dont Give Me Hope GIFs | Tenor

10 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Locked on Auburn this morning. They never confirmed anything with any detail, but Zach alluded to Grayson being back in the mix. The name of the episode is "Is Grayson McCall Auburn football's next quarterback?" 

This could be Zach just drumming something up to talk about on a slow week for AU news but it gives me hope.

I mentally killed the idea after the last time this came up and our insiders reported there wasn't even any indication he wanted to leave CC anymore, much less that he would graduate on time. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Word on the streets in Mullet McCall is back in the picture. Lord please, let this kid come here🙏

He may be an option for Florida, but not us. I’ve seen their reporters talk about him, but our reporters have still yet to say anything about him in a while.

48 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Blackerby is not a reputable source. He’s a former Auburn student and a huge fan who has a show basically because of his history in radio.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

He may be an option for Florida, but not us. I’ve seen their reporters talk about him, but our reporters have still yet to say anything about him in a while.

It's weird UF never went after him.  Maybe his grades were so bad they wouldn't accept a bunch of classes in a major to major transfer.

32 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Is there a reason we aren't pursuing him if he is open to transfer again? Seems like he would easily be the best option available.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

Is there a reason we aren't pursuing him if he is open to transfer again? Seems like he would easily be the best option available.

He has to graduate in order to transfer to Auburn.  Apparently his grades also blocked him transferring to Florida.

So it's all dependent on him being able to graduate.  I don't know if grad transfers are restricted by the 4/15 - 4/30 window or if they can enter the portal/transfer if they Graduate in August.

6 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

He has to graduate in order to transfer to Auburn.  Apparently his grades also blocked him transferring to Florida.

So it's all dependent on him being able to graduate.  I don't know if grad transfers are restricted by the 4/15 - 4/30 window or if they can enter the portal/transfer if they Graduate in August.

Yeah but why is he a possibility for UF and not us?

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

Yeah if he’s a grad transfer it wouldn’t matter anyways 

34 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

He's not, unless he graduates.

If he graduates, he's a possibility for us...but him graduating seems unlikely 

Edited by W.E.D

2 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

He's not, unless he graduates.

If he graduates, he's a possibility for us...but him graduating seems unlikely 

Ohhh. I was assuming he'd have to be a grad transfer to go to UF, too.

Jay G has been mentioning McCall for a couple months now.  His tone has softened but he still says he's a possibility.  The big issue I heard with him is he wasn't on target to graduate in May and it would be the Summer Semester before he graduated so mid Fall Camp before he takes a snap in an Auburn uni.  The big question then is how much of the playbook can he learn before week 2?  Would Robbie and McCall split time till one becomes the clear cut leader?

Auburn football is still looking for their quarterback and on Tuesday, rumors reemerged that Coastal Carolina quarterback Grayson McCall could be able to transfer at some point this offseason. If Hugh Freeze would be able to add Grayson McCall to the Auburn football roster in 2023, their outlook on offense looks drastically different.

Looking at the transfer portal, there are several players that could be a good fit with the Auburn Tigers. Offensive linemen like Jaden Muskrat and Emmanuel Pregnon could help the offense. Also, defensive players like Cam'Ron Kelly and Sav`ell Smalls make sense in Ron Roberts' scheme.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Lotto said:

Auburn football is still looking for their quarterback and on Tuesday, rumors reemerged that Coastal Carolina quarterback Grayson McCall could be able to transfer at some point this offseason. If Hugh Freeze would be able to add Grayson McCall to the Auburn football roster in 2023, their outlook on offense looks drastically different.

Looking at the transfer portal, there are several players that could be a good fit with the Auburn Tigers. Offensive linemen like Jaden Muskrat and Emmanuel Pregnon could help the offense. Also, defensive players like Cam'Ron Kelly and Sav`ell Smalls make sense in Ron Roberts' scheme.

Right now, I would love having McCall as QB1 and pray that Fall and early games could allow time for him to grow into AU new system. But, just wishful thinking on my part.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KansasTiger said:

@KansasTiger Didn't say nor imply wew aren't or wouldn't prrsue him again if available. I just pointed out all reputable chatter has come from Florida reporters. That leads me to think if he graduates UF may have the master's program he wants & we don't.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Jay G has been mentioning McCall for a couple months now.  His tone has softened but he still says he's a possibility. 

UNless JGT said something on him since last night he hasn't mentioned McCall in a good while.

30 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

The big question then is how much of the playbook can he learn before week 2? 

There's no reason he couldn't get the playbook today and start learning.  Reviewing film sent by our coaches etc.  He could ideally come in with some knowledge.

When Demetris Robertson graduated and transferred from UGA he was here by practice 2 or 3.  So shouldn't be too late

16 hours ago, AUwent said:

Well then how exactly are we supposed to attract talent at all? 🙄

🤑💲  Bags and bags and bags of unrestricted, unregulated MONEY with zero oversight.  💲💲

Someone please tell me why AU, under the current NIL/portal environment and now with a brand-new coaching staff that will outwork any other program, should have obstacles or roadblocks in building a new roster?  

Excellent EDGE prospect enters transfer portal, is now available to Auburn.

Should Auburn be interested in Sav`ell Smalls?

Matthew JacobsApr 17, 2023 11:22 PM EDT

Sav`ell Smalls, a six-foot-three 265-pound sophomore out of Seattle, Washington, has declared for the portal out of the Washington Huskies. 

Smalls’ talent, he was a five-star recruit out of high school, is thought to have been hampered under the Huskies’ defensive staff. A true pass rusher, he was moved around in the defense in ways that pass understanding. Therefore, his numbers are not a good representation of what type of ability this young man has. Through 29 games he was only able to produce 32 tackles with 1 tackle for a loss. 

There is a ton of ability and talent for an SEC coaching staff to cultivate here. Smalls is a guy that would be a very good fit in Ron Robert’s defensive scheme for Auburn.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

Someone please tell me why AU, under the current NIL/portal environment and now with a brand-new coaching staff that will outwork any other program, should have obstacles or roadblocks in building a new roster?  

@JerryAUIt all depends on how many & how much people are willing to give.

15 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

just be thankful there is a transfer portal now cause before it could have taken much longer.

Can you imagine not having the transfer portal? Goodness our team next year may not win 2 games. 
Without the portal additions just 3 months ago we would be down to 75 scholarship kids and we would be without our starting center, starting left tackle, starting right tackle, starting WR, starting DT, starting linebacker (maybe 2), starting DE… add to that we are desperately still looking for a starting QB, starting guard, and a starting Jack. Can you imagine? We would not be able to fill out a team without them. 
…what HF has done in the short time is frankly amazing, and without the portal we would be worse than Vandy for years.
We still have a long way to go just to compete …that is how bad it is because of the last few years of Gus and then Harsin. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Dislike 1