2023 Portal Discussion Thread

toddc

2 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I'm gonna predict that we won't sign QB this portal season. I'm not saying this to start an argument whether we should/shouldn't.  Unless TJ leaves then we make take a QB to add depth. RA will be your starter come Sept. Not saying it's good or bad but that's my prediction. And yes, Ellitor, I know the portal window is still open. Just making my prediction 

You're good. It's not a sky is falling type post like others do.

1 hour ago, ken woolley said:

Can we add someone from the portal after this portal season is over?

@ken woolley Yes as long as they are in the portal by April 30th.

1 hour ago, ken woolley said:

Once someone is in the portal isn’t he there even after this portal sign-up period is over?

Well this isn't a portal sign up period. It's an enter the portal period.

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

the reason E gave for why we didn't get a QB in 1st group is due to average WR's and people not sure how good our O-Line will be as most came from smaller schools and have not played together.

Was not me at all. 

We're 3 days into this portal window. Auburn ended Spring practice over a week ago and we're still having position group meetings.

Most teams just ended and just starting those meetings and they'll go into next week. 

I don't think we'll start hitting peak entry until this weekend and next. We've got a but of a road ahead of us that'll last into mid May. At least we'll know the art of the possible on 4/30

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

You're good. It's not a sky is falling type post like others do.

Does OTV need to reallocate fund$ and raise the ante to make the QB position here more attractive? 

SIAP

Auburn offers Wyoming transfer offensive lineman Emmanuel Pregnon

Jeffrey Lee

(Photo by Michael Chang/Getty Images) *** Local Caption ***

Auburn football on Sunday offered Emmanuel Pregnon, one of the hottest offensive linemen so far in the transfer portal.

Pregnon, who is transferring from Wyoming, has played only one season of college ball, but it was good enough to have several top colleges knocking on his door.

Since entering the transfer portal on Saturday, Pregnon has received offers from Arizona State, Kentucky, Washington State, Colorado, Ole Miss, UCLA, Indiana, Oregon, Illinois, Minnesota, Purdue and Arizona.

And now Auburn.

According to On3’s Matt Zenitz, Pregnon started last season at right guard for Wyoming. He was a Pro Football Focus third-team All-Mountain West selection and a College Football News second-team Freshman All-American. He has three years of eligibility.

Pregnon is the second transfer offensive lineman to receive an offer from Auburn. The first was Tulsa transfer Jaden Muskrat, who the Tigers offered on Saturday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JerryAU said:

Does OTV need to reallocate fund$ and raise the ante to make the QB position here more attractive? 

It's a question worth asking. I think even bigger than that though, as some may have mentioned, is this: do we have the offensive linemen and wide receivers that will make the incoming quarterback look good and appealing for his next stage (i.e. draft)? It may be we need another couple of o-linemen and a couple of good wide receivers to display the skills and abilities of said hypothetical quarterback. If we have $5 million to offer a quarterback for NIL, but no one to effectively show off his abilities, it may not be worth him to transfer onto our team. It's balancing what the QB could get NIL-wise, and what else we could offer a handful of other playmakers to elevate all of them collectively. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, toddc said:

Pregnon is the second transfer offensive lineman to receive an offer from Auburn. The first was Tulsa transfer Jaden Muskrat, who the Tigers offered on Saturday.

Need one of these fine fellows to visit this weekend and commit. Both of them have been offered by numerous P5 programs at this point and are hot commodities. 
More than likely a starter day one at guard. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, AUINSY said:

do we have the offensive linemen and wide receivers that will make the incoming quarterback look good and appealing for his next stage

I think the OL will be substantially better than what we have seen the last 5 years and would be a very good selling point. 

WR - that is a different conversation haha

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

I think the OL will be substantially better than what we have seen the last 5 years and would be a very good selling point. 

agreed. on both accounts. it's the proverbial chicken before the egg...a good QB won't come until good WRs are here, and good WRs won't come until a good QB is here, and so on

Edited by AUINSY

6 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I'm gonna predict that we won't sign QB this portal season. I'm not saying this to start an argument whether we should/shouldn't.  Unless TJ leaves then we make take a QB to add depth. RA will be your starter come Sept. Not saying it's good or bad but that's my prediction. And yes, Ellitor, I know the portal window is still open. Just making my prediction 

That would be a bad omen 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

That would be a bad omen 

Well u know how accurate my predictions are. Prob be wise to bet the other way

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

That would be a bad omen 

I think we sign one this time. It just may not be the first choice (Coaches or fans) who may have different opinions on best fit QB.

2 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

I know people are saying we want more WRs, but do people really think we're that terrible at WR.  Like bottom of the barrel?  I agree that we don't have an obvious 1st round draft pick or anything... buuuuuuuutttttt

Cam Brown should be a solid #1
Javy and Koy are both solid 2/3 slot WRs.  Javy can be a deep threat.
Add in Fairweather as an upper end receiving TE

That's a quality 4 starters there.  Omari Kelly seemed to be pretty solid at the end of last year.  King is a wild card.  The transfer is tall but can't catc.

We need more but I feel like everyone is all of a sudden claiming we're essentially destitute 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JerryAU said:

@JerryAU Not sure but they definitely need more people to give. In terms of number of people giving we are behind some schools.

Also OTV funds is not why we didn't land the very few we went after.

2 hours ago, AUINSY said:

It's a question worth asking. I think even bigger than that though, as some may have mentioned, is this: do we have the offensive linemen and wide receivers that will make the incoming quarterback look good and appealing for his next stage (i.e. draft)? It may be we need another couple of o-linemen and a couple of good wide receivers to display the skills and abilities of said hypothetical quarterback. If we have $5 million to offer a quarterback for NIL, but no one to effectively show off his abilities, it may not be worth him to transfer onto our team. It's balancing what the QB could get NIL-wise, and what else we could offer a handful of other playmakers to elevate all of them collectively. 

FWIW you typically get the better QB first and then the better skill players & maybe OL come. Not sure how we got the train of thought on this site that it works the other way around/backwards.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

I know people are saying we want more WRs, but do people really think we're that terrible at WR.  Like bottom of the barrel?  I agree that we don't have an obvious 1st round draft pick or anything... buuuuuuuutttttt

Cam Brown should be a solid #1
Javy and Koy are both solid 2/3 slot WRs.  Javy can be a deep threat.
Add in Fairweather as an upper end receiving TE

That's a quality 4 starters there.  Omari Kelly seemed to be pretty solid at the end of last year.  King is a wild card.  The transfer is tall but can't catc.

We need more but I feel like everyone is all of a sudden claiming we're essentially destitute 

Personally, I think Cam Brown is a future star. Just needs a little more development, a competent QB, and to be healthy. 

5 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

Personally, I think Cam Brown is a future star. Just needs a little more development, a competent QB, and to be healthy. 

I don't disagree.  I just need to see more before I start claiming he'll be there

7 hours ago, W.E.D said:

I think it was more unfortunate than anything else.  Also, look where they landed.

1. McCall is bad at school & we got screwed.  He was our #1, would have been an elite pull.  I do wonder the lag between us getting his grades and focusing on him put us behind others.
  2. Hartman went to Notre Dame.  The are objectively better than us in every way.  They are tailor made for a 1 year QB transfer
  3. Leary.  Kentucky is producing a 1st round QB this year.  I'm not sure I buy the NIL excuse as we see we're desperate.  We'll see how he plays at Kentucky and if we were right or wrong on him not "being worth it".
  4. Mordecai - Wisconsin with probably a more notable OC/HC than who we have.  he was on everyone's list from recruiting sites.  Some claim we didn't try, idk.  Maybe we were focused on McCall and got behind here.

Those were the home run guys.  Everyone else has risk of being average to hurt to some bad seasons.  I still will scream about Spencer Sanders (especially when he lit up the spring game) as being a huge mistake.  Everyone else, I think we'll have to see where we are after this window to judge if we should have taken someone ranked 6-15 to get average QB play.

We couldn't convince Duke/Tulane guys to jump.

We're a good school.  We have good coaches.  We did make our OL better...but that doesn't mean we were 100% going to get one of the top QBs when the competition was pretty strong.  We should have had one if he actually tried in school

Well, to get guys to the first round and be a desirable destination, we'd better land a decent QB at some point. If we have to bite our nails and pray we make a bowl this year, so be it, but we're going to need to get one for 2024 to give Heisenberg a year to get ready.

(By the way, you were among those arguing we play as tough a slate as possible, but your analysis of our situation shows why that's a bad idea--we're behind freaking KENTUCKY now.)

Edited by AUwent
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

FWIW you typically get the better QB first and then the better skill players & maybe OL come. Not sure how we got the train of thought on this site that it works the other way around/backwards.

I suppose I present Exhibit A: the past couple of months of Auburn football as my evidence. We have no serviceable quarterbacks, maybe a serviceable WR or two, and what appears to be several solid, decent offensive linemen. Perhaps it’s an anomaly, but that’s where we are as a team presently. How else would you explain what is happening currently with our football program?

Edited by AUINSY

1 minute ago, AUINSY said:

I suppose I present Exhibit A: the past couple of months of Auburn football as my evidence. We have no serviceable quarterbacks, maybe a serviceable WR or two, and what appears to be several solid, decent offensive linemen. Perhaps it’s an anomaly, but that’s where we are as a team presently.

Well then how exactly are we supposed to attract talent at all? 🙄

1 minute ago, AUwent said:

Well then how exactly are we supposed to attract talent at all? 🙄

Seems like you and I are asking the same question, unless I’m just not picking up what you’re putting down, which is entirely possible.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AUINSY said:

Seems like you and I are asking the same question, unless I’m just not picking up what you’re putting down, which is entirely possible.

For me it's a rhetorical question. Look at, oh, USCe. They were at the bottom of the ocean floor when Beamer got there and now they're recruiting gangbusters. Look at Florida and their horrible QB situation--their recruiting class is shaping up to be a whopper. A lot of the time, a new coach is going to have some serious roster deficiencies--he's a new coach for a reason, after all.

Edited by AUwent
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Well, to get guys to the first round and be a desirable destination, we'd better land a decent QB at some point

We did. He'll be a HS St next year tho.

49 minutes ago, AUwent said:

If we have to bite our nails and pray we make a bowl this year, so be it, but we're going to need to get one for 2024 to give Heisenberg a year to get ready

If we don't get/develop an above QB for 2023 we'll be taking one in December. 

50 minutes ago, AUwent said:

(By the way, you were among those arguing we play as tough a slate as possible, but your analysis of our situation shows why that's a bad idea--we're behind freaking KENTUCKY now.

We have 5 auto wins this year. It'll be like that with 9 SEC games. Playing UGA every year vs 2 of 4 isn't going to be a massive difference 

• Like 1