2023 Portal Discussion Thread

toddc

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

What QB is in the portal right now that is better than what we currently have?

That’s the million dollar question, especially when you add the clause “and really want to be at AU.” A lot of fans seem to believe that some top notch guys are trying to come and HF just isn’t closing the deal. We aren’t the only school in need and a lot of other schools have better o line/wr situations and better histories developing QBs.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is what I want to know….I don’t really see that savior out there.

4 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

And not news but Caleb Etienne is now in the portal. Adding him to our O line haul could (would) attract more attention to AU of fence stradling top tier veteran would-be transfer QBs.

We got 2 good OTs in the portal and that hasn't attracted us a QB yet so I don't thinks it works that way for an OT to attract a QB.

TBD at the moment. We passed on a few in the first window.

@NWALA Tiger Chance Nolan from Oregon St. who we are talking to.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

This is what I want to know….I don’t really see that savior out there.

There's no savior but it doesn't take a savior to be a good upgrade from what we have now.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Interesting . He has been out there for a minute! Him and the OD guy would be good to grab IMO.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Interesting . He has been out there for a minute! Him and the OD guy would be good to grab IMO.

We passed on the NCST kid for these two? OK, Hoke

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, W.E.D said:

You’re doing it! Haha 

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

think people underestimate how god awful Robby Ashford was last year

Right, guy was in the 40% a lot of games.

He's amazing running 

8 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Right, guy was in the 40% a lot of games.

He's amazing running 

I was hopeful that Hugh and his merry band of QB coaches could whip in into good enough shape to feel good about him going into summer. But i just don’t think Robbie was ever meant to be a QB. He reminds me of JF3. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I was hopeful that Hugh and his merry band of QB coaches could whip in into good enough shape to feel good about him going into summer. But i just don’t think Robbie was ever meant to be a QB. He reminds me of JF3. 

Except without the world class athleticism tbh. JF3 athletically ability got him into the NFL a couple of times. He even has a Super Bowl ring with the bucs .

RA needs to switch positions 

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

Except without the world class athleticism tbh. JF3 athletically ability got him into the NFL a couple of times. He even has a Super Bowl ring with the bucs .

RA needs to switch positions 

We could really use a WR with a speedy skill set. Also, If we could get access to the super soldier serum that Captain America used, Robbie would be a decent LB. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, AUwent said:

Exactly. Im good if we get an “average” QB.

I would genuinely be glad if AU can attract/find an average QB to bridge the current gap in talent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Not so sure on that. If Danny Hugh thought Nolan was the cats meow, why wasn't he scooped up by us or anyone else, for that matter, during the 1st portal window?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Nolan's 2021 stats were good except too many pick. I'd take that Nolan all day.

12 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Nolan's 2021 stats were good except too many pick. I'd take that Nolan all day.

They are okay...but why hasn't anyone scooped him up?  He's been in the portal since December. Odd situation.

Idk, need to tamper hard AF and offer the Maalik Murphy all the YellaWood bags he wants 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

That’s the million dollar question, especially when you add the clause “and really want to be at AU.” A lot of fans seem to believe that some top notch guys are trying to come and HF just isn’t closing the deal. We aren’t the only school in need and a lot of other schools have better o line/wr situations and better histories developing QBs.  

Makes me wonder if AU doesn’t really have the $ resources available as we’d like to believe we have.  Are we trying to find a bargain?

• Like 2

Not so sure on that. If Danny Hugh thought Nolan was the cats meow, why wasn't he scooped up by us or anyone else, for that matter, during the 1st portal window?

@NWALA Tiger I didn’t say nor imply Freeze thought he was the cat’s meow. Just a guy that we are talking to. It has been reported by numerous outlets.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

It makes more sense that we just couldn't convince MJM to hop into the portal, and not that we backed off. Now Danny Hugh is seeing the situation differently and willing to accept a lesser tier QB. My theory not that it's worth anything.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

It makes more sense that we just couldn't convince MJM to hop into the portal, and not that we backed off. Now Danny Hugh is seeing the situation differently and willing to accept a lesser tier QB. My theory not that it's worth anything.

Yep there is no way we couldn't have gotten this Nolan guy since December. It is more likely after Mccall fell through, we missed on others E.G. the guy from Kentucky and NC ST. I can somewhat understand passing on SS if he does have an injury bug but cannot see us passing on the North Carolina state guy for Nolan.

34 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@NWALA Tiger I didn’t say nor imply Freeze thought he was the cat’s meow. Just a guy that we are talking to. It has been reported by numerous outlets.

You replied to my question that this chance nolan is better than we have on the roster now. If that's so, why wasn't he brought in and go thru spring ball. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

You replied to my question that this chance nolan is better than we have on the roster now. If that's so, why wasn't he brought in and go thru spring ball. 

Obviously because the staff believes they can get better than him. No need to settle in January.