11/27/22 Auburn Articles

aubiefifty

Instant Impressions: Alabama 49, Auburn 27

Nathan King
5–6 minutes

TUSCALOOSA, Alabama — In what was likely Cadillac Williams' final game as Auburn's head coach, his Tigers did what they've done so often the past four weeks — fight.

Auburn played the Crimson Tide nearly even in the second half (14-13) and had a season-best rushing performance, but Alabama's passing-game onslaught was too much for Williams' team to overcome, as the Tigers fell 49-27 in the 87th Iron Bowl.

Here are Auburn Undercover's immediate takeaways from Auburn's sixth straight loss in Bryant-Denny Stadium.

Flashy start quickly buried

After losing by a combined 60 points in their past three trips to Tuscaloosa, the Tigers needed a fast start Saturday afternoon to grab some early confidence. 

Auburn got a stop on its first defensive series in plus territory, forcing an Alabama punt on fourth-and-1 from the 48. Robby Ashford scrambled for 25 yards, then a pass interference got Auburn inside the 30-yard line.

Ashford then took a designed run 24 yards to the house, extending the ball over the goal line for the game’s first points. Auburn went up 7-0 — its largest lead in Tuscaloosa since 2014.

The jubilation on the Tigers’ sideline was short-lived, though — 181 seconds, to be exact.

Alabama swung momentum back with a 52-yard bomb from Bryce Young to Jermaine Burton, followed by a 5-yard scramble by Young to tie the game on a drive that took 2:01.

A quick three-and-out for the Tigers gave way to another Alabama touchdown on a 65-yard drive. Auburn running back Jarquez Hunter then fumbled at his own 48 by running into his own blocker. Roydell Williams walked into the end zone four plays later, and Alabama had run up 21 unanswered points in only 8:35 of game time. It averaged 10.4 yards per play during the scoring run.

‘Muffed’ punt leads to bigger halftime hole

Ashford, who had one of his better outings of the season both in the air and on the ground, brought it back to a one-score game with a gorgeous 20-yard touchdown pass to Ja’Varrius Johnson.

Auburn almost got the ball back, but Young converted a third-and-19, and the Crimson Tide mounted their fourth straight touchdown drive.

A third-and-17 on Alabama’s next drive was broken up by Keionte Scott, and the Tigers looked to be getting the ball back, down 28-14, with just under 3 minutes until halftime.

Scott muffed the punt, though, for Auburn’s second turnover of the game. The call on the field stood, meaning there wasn’t enough video evidence to overturn, but a couple angles of the replay appeared to clearly show Scott did not touch the punt.

Regardless, the Crimson Tide improved to 14 points off Auburn turnovers in the first half, when Young hit Traeshon Holden for a 27-yard touchdown on a screen pass. Alabama went up 35-14 with 54 seconds until halftime.

Young completed 20-of-30 passes for 343 yards, three touchdowns and an interception. Senior linebacker Owen Pappoe picked him off in the red zone on Alabama's penultimate possession of the game, and the Tigers got a field goal out of it after a long drive.

Auburn was outscoring the Crimson Tide in the second half until Jahmyr Gibbs added a 24-yard rushing touchdown with 1:48 left following Alabama's recovered onside kick.

Ashford, running game show out

Turns out, all Auburn needed was an interim coach and a completely shuffled offensive staff for its best rushing performance of the season — and of the best in the recent history of the Iron Bowl.

The Tigers found success on the ground all evening, racking up 318 yards, surpassing their previous season-best of 301 yards at Ole Miss in Week 7. 

Ashford led the way early with 49 rushing yards in the first quarter alone. With a combination of designed runs and scrambles, he had eight runs go for double-digit yardage and finished with his second 100-yard rushing performance (121 yards) of the season.

Not only did redshirt sophomore QB become the first Auburn player with multiple rushing touchdowns in an Iron Bowl since his current coach, Williams, in 2003, but he rushed for the most yards by an Auburn player against Alabama since Tre Mason (164 yards) in 2013.

Tank Bigsby and Jarquez Hunter combined for 197 yards, with Hunter eclipsing the century mark (134 yards) for the third straight game. Bigsby, who carried the ball only six times in the second half while Auburn rode Hunter's hot hand, fell just 30 yards shy of his second straight 1,000-yard season. 

The Tigers' rushing performance was their best in an Iron Bowl since 1983, when Bo Jackson had 256 yards by himself, and Auburn ran for 355.

16COMMENTS

It was the most rushing yards allowed by Alabama under Nick Saban.

Auburn Undercover will update this story. Check back for additional information.

">247Sports
  • Thanks 1

Five takeaways from Auburn's final game of the season against Alabama

River Wells
4–5 minutes

The Tigers will go no further after a 49-27 loss to their greatest rival.

Auburn dropped the Iron Bowl to the Alabama Crimson Tide for the third year in a row. The Tigers end the year at 5-7, meaning that they will not be bowl eligible and won’t be participating in postseason play like other teams who finished with six wins or greater. The game caps off an inspiring 2-2 run from interim coach Cadillac Williams, whose tenure is certain to be remembered by Auburn fans after the firing of coach Bryan Harsin.

Buy Tigers Tickets

Here are five takeaways from Auburn’s performance in their rivalry matchup:

USATSI_19508040.jpg

Marvin Gentry-USA TODAY Sports

Yes, coach Cadillac Williams lost on Saturday. But that shouldn’t tarnish what has been a great run for the interim head coach.

Williams beat a team in Texas A&M that most didn’t think Auburn would knock off this season and took care of business against a talented Western Kentucky team that the Tigers should have beaten. On top of that, Williams was very close to having a winning record as an interim coach after narrowly losing a game to the Mississippi State Bulldogs on the road.

It’s uncertain what the future holds for the Auburn man, but whatever happens next, Williams deserves all praise for finishing with a 2-2 record and getting the most out of this Auburn unit.

1444826210.jpg

(Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)

Robby Ashford put on a bit of a show during the Iron Bowl on Saturday. That’s not a sentence often read, but it’s the truth.

Sure, passing was rough again on completion percentage, but an absolute dime to Ja’Varrius Johnson for a 20-yard touchdown proved that he can be a talented passer with further refinement. On top of that, Ashford ran in two touchdowns from ways out, proving he’s still dangerous on the ground when he needs to be.

Will Auburn’s new head coach retain his services for next year? Potentially not, but Ashford showed Saturday that he could potentially be the guy further down the line.

USATSI_19508744.jpg

Sure, guys like Tank Bigsby will be gone, but that shouldn’t spell the end for this thing the Tigers have going on here.

Auburn seems to really click under the run game, averaging 7.4 yards per carry. There will still be some players on the roster from Harsin’s failed regime come next year, and it might be a good time to stick with what works in the transition period while the new head coach gets settled in. Putting up two touchdowns on the ground against a talented Alabama team is nothing to sneeze at, so perhaps the Tigers should think about committing to that style of play for 2023.

USATSI_19509207.jpg

Gary Cosby Jr.-USA TODAY Sports

Alabama scored far more points than anyone may have expected on Saturday, and that comes down to the defense.

Poor coverages and lack of tenacity did the Tigers in on Saturday, and it’s the type of play the team will readily look forward to leaving behind as it bows out before the beginning of bowl season. Everything Alabama did seemed to work, and aside from a nice Owen Pappoe interception, the Tide worked its will to ensure Auburn had no chance of coming back in this one.

USATSI_19508745.jpg

Whoever the new head coach is — be it Hugh Freeze or someone else — has quite a job to do once they get to the Plains.

Recruiting needs to be sharpened and Auburn needs a reliable coach who can prepare aptly for opponents in the ways that Harsin could not. This might seem obvious, but the culture needed to set things right in Auburn has been showcased by Cadillac Williams the past few weeks — getting the talent right and the game planning to match will spell success for whoever takes the mantle next.

• Thanks 1

Hugh Freeze interested in Auburn job but says no offer has been made

Updated: Nov. 26, 2022, 7:25 p.m.|Published: Nov. 26, 2022, 4:32 p.m.
2–3 minutes

Hugh Freeze told gathered media in his postgame press conference Saturday that he has not been offered the Auburn head coaching job, but the Liberty coach admitted to being interested.

Freeze, the former Ole Miss coach, was asked if the speculation about his coaching future impacted his team in a 49-14 loss to New Mexico State.

“It sure didn’t help,” Freeze said.

Freeze, 34-15 record in three seasons at Liberty, re-iterated no offers has been made.

“I’m not one to tell (the players) something that’s not true,” Freeze said after Liberty’s 49-14 loss to New Mexico State. “Is the job everyone is talking about one that I would have an interest in talking with? Sure. That doesn’t mean they have offered me a job.”

Ole Miss’ Lane Kiffin was considered the top target by Auburn, but he chose to remain at Ole Miss. Multiple reports indicate there has been communication between Freeze and Auburn.

“There’s been no offer made to me, nor have I accepted anything,” Freeze said.

He added that his players asked him directly about his future before Saturday’s game.

“I think it had something to do with his flatness,” Freeze said of his team’s performance. “I’m not one to dodge people that I care for and love. I’m not one to tell them something that isn’t true. I tried to tell them the truth.”

Freeze said he and Liberty AD Ian McCaw have an understanding.

“I have a really unique relationship with my boss Ian and with our players,” he said. “They know I’m very transparent and honest with them. And I’ve told them that if it ever got to the point where someone was pursuing me, and I thought it was for Jill and I and our family that I would tell them.

“And I have not told them that. And for that to have come - and I haven’t been offered a job - but it certainly was hard to refute that report. It definitely bothered some people.”

Mark Heim is a sports reporter for The Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Mark_Heim.

• Thanks 1

Instant Analysis: Auburn throttled by Alabama 49-27 in Iron Bowl

JD McCarthy
~3 minutes

After taking an early lead Auburn was unable to keep up with Alabama in the 2022 Iron Bowl, falling 49-27 to the Crimson Tide Saturday.

Auburn has now lost its last six games inside Bryant-Denny Stadium and none of them were decided by less than double digits. With the loss, Auburn failed to automatically qualify for a bowl game and will need help to keep playing.

Buy Tigers Tickets

Auburn (5-7, 2-6 SEC) took an early 7-0 lead thanks to two big runs by Robby Ashford. He scrambled for 25 yards early in the drive and took a designed carry 24 yards around the right side of the line for his first touchdown.

He finished with 121 yards and two touchdowns on 17 carries. Auburn’s ground game had another strong performance, the Tigers averaged 7.4 yards per carry and finished with 318 yards rushing.

Jarquez Hunter rushed for over 100 yards for the third consecutive game, finishing with 134 yards on just 11 carries.

Auburn may have opened the scoring but Alabama quickly took command of the game, they scored on their next three possessions to take a 21-7 lead at the start of the second quarter.

The Tigers were unable to get pressure on Bryce Young and the reigning Heisman winner picked apart Auburn’s defense. He completed 20-of-30 passes for 343 yards and three touchdowns. He added 48 yards and one score with his legs.

Auburn did not fold though, the Tigers responded with a 10-play, 76-yard drive to stop the bleeding. Ashford capped it off with a beautiful 20-yard pass to Ja'Varrius Johnson to make it a 21-14 deficit.

Despite averaging 6.2 yards per play, Auburn’s two turnovers prevented the Tigers from keeping up with Alabama, who scored touchdowns on five of their seven drives to start the game and averaged 8.1 yards per play.

Auburn held Alabama to 14 points in the second half but was unable to take advantage of the opportunity. They scored on their first two drives of the second half but it was too little too late as that made it a 42-24 game with 12 minutes to play.

The Tigers had one last chance when Owen Pappoe picked off Young with 6:36 left to play and Auburn trailing 42-24. They once again showed their fight, converting on fourth down, and Alex McPherson made a 39-yard field goal to cut it to a 42-27 game with 2:08 to play.

Auburn’s 27 points are the most they have scored in Tuscaloosa since scoring 44 in 2014. The Tigers were unable to recover the ensuing onside kick and Alabama added on one last touchdown to make it a 49-27 game.

• Thanks 1

• Thanks 1

• Thanks 1

Led by Jarquez Hunter, Auburn tops most rushing yards vs. Alabama under Saban

Published: Nov. 26, 2022, 8:55 p.m.
5–7 minutes

Jarquez Hunter put his name up there with former Heisman finalist Tre Mason in the Iron Bowl.

The sophomore running back turned in the best rushing performance for Auburn against Alabama since Mason’s 164-yard effort during the fabled 2013 matchup between the two cross-state rivals. Hunter ran for 134 yards to pace a historic rushing performance for the Tigers in their 49-27 loss to the No. 7 Tide on Saturday in Tuscaloosa.

“Every time I get my number called, I’m going to do my job,” Hunter said. “It doesn’t matter if I’m first or second; I’m going to do what I got to do.”

Read more Auburn football: Auburn’s feel-good finish falls apart in Iron Bowl loss

Rewinding Auburn’s Iron Bowl loss to Alabama

Hugh Freeze interested in Auburn job but says no offer has been made

For Hunter, it was his third consecutive 100-yard game to close out his sophomore season. He had 121 yards against Teas A&M two weeks ago and 109 yards in last week’s win against Western Kentucky. He saved his best performance of the season for last against Alabama, averaging 12.2 yards per carry to pace an Auburn rushing attack that had the most productive performance against Alabama’s defense in the Nick Saban era. The Tigers finished with 318 yards against the Tide, eclipsing the previous record of 302 rushing yards allowed by Alabama under Saban. That, of course, was the infamous Georgia Southern game, when Saban afterward memorably said the Eagles ran through the Tide “like s*** through a tin horn.”

There was no such rant from Saban on Saturday, only reverence for Auburn’s rushing attack.

“I’ll tell you what: Auburn did a great job with the run game,” Saban said. “They created some edges. Some of the plays they ran — you know, when I was 10 years old, we ran the single wing. You guys don’t even know what the single wing is. But that was my first football…. I hadn’t seen those since Pop Warner…. They really attacked us on the edge and did a good job of cracking and blocking us on the edges.”

Along with Hunter’s big game, Robby Ashford also eclipsed the 100-yard mark against Alabama. The Auburn quarterback had 121 yards and a pair of touchdowns, becoming the first Tiger to have multiple rushing scores in an Iron Bowl since Cadillac Williams in 2003. The dueling 100-yard efforts also gave Auburn three consecutive games with multiple 100-yard rushers for the first time in program history; Hunter and Tank Bigsby each rushed for 100-plus yards the prior two weeks.

For Hunter, though, Saturday’s Iron Bowl was the culmination of a strong finish to his sophomore campaign, as he finished the season with 675 rushing yards — 418 of them coming in the final month of the season, after Williams took over as interim coach and Auburn got back to imposing its will against opponents on the ground. If Auburn was playing “big boy football” the last month, Hunter’s efforts epitomized it, as he averaged 8.5 yards per carry in November.

His 134 yards were the second most by a player against Alabama this season, behind only Ole Miss running back Qunishon Judkins’ 135-yard effort. Hunter’s came on 14 fewer touches.

Even after an unfortunate fumble — when he lost the ball after brushing up against tight end John Samuel Shenker — Williams was sure to greet Hunter on the sideline with words of encouragement and didn’t hesitate to go back to the sophomore on the first play of Auburn’s next drive. Hunter picked up 19 yards on that play.

“Let me tell you something — I pray to God that, you know, Cole and Cuinn, my two boys got his type of attitude, his work ethic,” Williams said. “That young man is special, hell, not just talking about on the field; I’m talking about the way he treats people, the way he goes about his business, how kind he is to people, the great teammate he is.”

Special is a word Williams used shortly after he was elevated to interim coach on Halloween. He sat down Hunter and Bigsby — knowing full well his intent was to lean on the run game over the final four games — and told the two running backs that he needed them to be special for Auburn to have a chance to close its season strong.

The tandem delivered, as Auburn finished the year with four straight games with at least 250 rushing yards. It was the first time the Tigers accomplished that since a four-game stretch late in the 2013 national runner-up campaign.

“Those guys could be that light, that sparkplug,” Williams said. “They could be that positive energy that we need — not just on gameday, but on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday. I told them the guys, the team’s going to go as you guys go. Both of them guys, man, very selfless guys. They work good together. It’s amazing to watch both of them. It’s pretty cool to know kind of how they feed off of each other, because I — many, many moons ago — once experienced it. So, that’s pretty good.”

While Williams invoked his time sharing the backfield with Ronnie Brown in the early 2000s, the future of Auburn’s backfield appears to be in good hands with Hunter, particularly if Bigsby chooses to declare for the NFL Draft now that the season is complete.

“I work hard,” Hunter said. “I go out there and work hard at it every day. I want to be the best on the field, so I go out there and work hard.”

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

If you purchase a product or register for an account through one of the links on our site, we may receive compensation.

• Thanks 1

Robby Ashford plays through pain in defeat against Alabama in his first Iron Bowl

Published: Nov. 26, 2022, 8:48 p.m.
5–6 minutes

Hoover High alum and Auburn starting quarterback Robby Ashford lived out a childhood by playing in Saturday’s Iron Bowl. Ashford scored the game’s first touchdown with a run for 24 yards on 2nd and eight with 8:31 left in the first quarter.

Getting the opportunity to play in the Iron Bowl took more sacrifices than most observers realized. Ashford revealed that he played through several injuries after taking over the starting role. He suffered an AC Joint injury in the September 24th win against Missouri, which would give a fair explanation of why Auburn started leaning on its run game.

Read More Auburn Football: Instant analysis: Auburn’s feel-good finish falls apart in Iron Bowl loss to Alabama

Rewinding Alabama’s 49-27 win over Auburn in the 87th Iron Bowl

Auburn flips SEC commit and 4-star DL Darron Reed

“It progressively got worse with pretty much everything I’ve been doing,” Ashford said. “Bruised rotator cuff, sprained trap, sprained index finger -- you name it, I’ve probably had it. So yeah. I feel proud just knowing I can go out there and still do it even when I’m hurt.

Ashford became the first Auburn player with two rushing touchdowns in an Iron Bowl since 2003, when interim coach Cadillac Williams completed the feat.

“That’s just cool to know that I did that. To share that with my coach that’s a cool accomplishment. But at the end of the day, we didn’t get a W. But you’re always trying to look at the positives, the bright sides. What we accomplished — no team has been through what we’ve been through this year.”

Alabama scored 21 consecutive points after Auburn led for less than three minutes. Ashford showed resolve by leading the team down the field for a touchdown drive capped by a 20-yard pass to Ja’Varrious Johnson in the end zone.

“We knew we had to score. Fortunately enough, we came back and scored and made it a game. Just kind of out of hand,” Ashford said. “They were just clicking on offense.”

Auburn trailed 21-14 after Ashford’s touchdown pass, which was a perfect spiral that landed in Johnson’s hands for the score. Unfortunately for Auburn, the team hit a lull while Alabama increased its lead to 42-14 before Ashford’s 14-yard touchdown run with 6:38 left in the third quarter.

Ashford had the touchdown pass and was the team’s second-leading rusher with 121 yards on 17 carries and two touchdowns. However, other than the touchdown pass to Johnson, his passing game was pedestrian, with 77 yards on 11-23 attempts.

Auburn increased their focus on running the ball since Williams has taken over and Ashford has rushed for more yards than he’s thrown for in the last four games. Ashford gave insight into possible reasons why he struggled to complete passes this season.

“There were plenty of nights where I couldn’t sleep because I was in so much pain -- shoulder swollen, a whole lot of weeks where I couldn’t throw in practice until game day,” Ashford said. “I wouldn’t go out there and do it for anybody else other than this team, and I knew I had to give everything no matter how I felt, no matter how I felt after the game. A lot of people didn’t know that but I played the whole year hurt.”

Alabama head coach Nick Saban appreciated Ashford’s valiant effort. Saban went deep into his memory bank when discussing Ashford.

“Some of the plays they were running with the quarterback, I hadn’t seen since Pop Warner. [laughter] And they’re good plays, and they’re hard to defend,” Saban told reporters. “So their quarterback played an outstanding game, from a run standpoint, and they executed. Because it’s like playing against Wildcat. You know, when the running’s back in the backfield, and somebody has got to go cover the quarterback, except he’s a good enough quarterback to run. And then they created some Wildcat situations as well. So they really attacked us on the edges and did a good job of cracking and blocking us on the edges.”

Ashford played through pain during his first season as the Tigers’ starting quarterback. He showed electric speed and made good throws. There were several plays he’d like back as well. Ashford hopes that next season will be better for him and the Tigers.

I’ll tell anybody right now: Our plan next year — it doesn’t matter who the coach is, whoever — our plan next year is to compete for an SEC title and compete for a national championship. We’re gonna do whatever it takes to do that. I have the utmost confidence in these guys.

If you purchase a product or register for an account through one of the links on our site, we may receive compensation.

• Thanks 1

Saban jokes with Will Anderson after sideline cut: ‘I just had to keep laughing’

Published: Nov. 26, 2022, 7:29 p.m.
2–3 minutes

Will Anderson stood on the sidelines during the Iron Bowl and tried to keep his focus on Auburn’s run-heavy offense. Nick Saban wasn’t helping. During Saturday night’s game in Bryant-Denny Stadium, Saban looked at Anderson — one of the most-feared players in the sport, nicknamed ‘The Terminator’ — and noted how Saban’s generation was just built differently.

“He was like, ‘If that would’ve happened to you, you would’ve been under there in the (medical) tent.’ I just had to keep laughing ‘cause I had to regain my focus,” Anderson said. “But he’s tough, he’s tough. He loves this. He loves this more than everybody.”

Alabama football’s head coach had been clipped earlier in the game by a player’s shoulder pad, cutting the left side of Saban’s cheek and drawing blood live on the CBS broadcast. The 71-year-old was fine, laughing it off during and after the Tide’s 49-27 win over the Tigers.

MORE Iron Bowl: Rewinding Alabama’s 49-27 win over Auburn

Instant analysis: Alabama builds Iron Bowl lead, holds off Auburn

In his postgame press conference, Saban prefaced any thoughts on the 87th edition of the state’s biggest rivalry with the same joke that put Anderson in a fit.

“You should see the other guy,” Saban said. “I took one of the hardest hits of the entire game, and, unlike some of our players that had to go to the medical tent. Like I always say they don’t make them like they used to.”

Nick Alvarez is a reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @nick_a_alvarez or email him at NAlvarez@al.com.

Scarbinsky: Trolled by Kiffin, rolled by Alabama: Auburn’s nightmare isn’t over yet

Published: Nov. 27, 2022, 5:45 a.m.
~2 minutes

This is an opinion column.

When you’ve walked in the desert as long as Auburn football has, it’s easy to mistake a mirage for an oasis and dismiss an oasis as a mirage. This is the way the 2022 Auburn football season ended on the field Saturday in enemy territory as the program’s nightmare continued.

Trolled by an impostor, then rolled by the real deal. Left at the altar with a lot less confidence that the program’s leaders will be able to alter their circumstances for the better. Defeated by rival Alabama as expected with no guarantee of better days ahead until the most critical piece of the new management team is introduced.

And maybe not even then.

Alabama 49, Auburn 27 was the least of the Tigers’ worries. Before and after kickoff, they learned some hard lessons in their search for a way out and a way up. Lane Kiffin ain’t coming, Nick Saban isn’t going away and the Tigers will be lucky if the best thing to happen to them in years, Carnell Williams, doesn’t look for an exit himself.

He embraced his moment. If only his school had hugged him back.

id Auburn football get shafted by muffed punt, replay review in Alabama game?

Nick Gray, Montgomery Advertiser

2–3 minutes

Auburn football needed a lot of things to go correctly in Tuscaloosa to spring an upset of Alabama on Saturday at Bryant-Denny Stadium.

A muffed punt that Tigers returner Keionte Scott may not have touched is not one of those things.

Scott appeared to let a punt drop in between his hands with 2:47 left in the second quarter in a game the Tide led 28-14. But the SEC officiating crew led by Ken Williamson ruled that Scott did touch the punt, and credited Alabama long snapper Kneeland Hibbett with the recovery.

The play, as all turnovers, went under review. CBS officiating guru Gene Steratore didn't think Scott touched the punt, and game announcers Brad Nessler and Gary Danielson agreed.

But the SEC-led replay review allowed the call to stand.

Alabama would score on a Traeshon Holden 27-yard touchdown catch several plays later.

LIVE UPDATES: Auburn football score vs. Alabama: Live updates from the 2022 Iron Bowl

NEXT HEAD COACH? Can the SEC stop Auburn football from hiring Hugh Freeze? Here's what league bylaws say

A FLIP! Darron Reed, 4-star DL from Georgia, flips commitment from LSU to Auburn football

It's yet another example of why allowing the ruling on the field to stand without conclusive evidence is rooted in fallacy. Williamson and his crew got together after a few moments of looking unsure what to call. Hibbett forced the officials to make a call because he recovered the ball, and the officials settled on the Alabama recovery as the call on the field.

If the ball did indeed glance off of Scott, the replays shown by CBS didn't show it. But because replay reviews require absolutely conclusive evidence, it's not 100% that Scott didn't touch the punt and the ruling on the field stood as called. How much more proof outside of the two angles above does a replay review official need?

Auburn needed a lot to go right on Saturday, and the unfortunate circumstances surrounding a muffed punt that may not have been touched did not go the Tigers' way.

This article originally appeared on Montgomery Advertiser: Did Auburn football get shafted by muffed punt, review in Alabama game?

Yes, we got shafted by the muffed punt. I like how the article flips the logic of evidence and says that since they didn’t overturn the call, there wasn’t 100% conclusive evidence when the empirical evidence of sight says he didn’t touch it. You know, the evidence the entire world saw and agreed he didn’t touch it. Couldn’t possibly be that the ref making the call, the one who smiled at one of Auburn’s penalties, wasn’t interested in overturning such a crucially bad call. Not possible, right? 

• Like 1

If Hugh Freeze becomes Auburn football coach, his first task is obvious | Toppmeyer

Blake Toppmeyer, USA TODAY NETWORK
5–7 minutes

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – Auburn football never was quite as bad as Bryan Harsin made the Tigers look. Cadillac Williams showed us that.

Auburn also is not nearly as talented as it should be. Hugh Freeze, if he becomes AU’s next coach, could show us that.

No. 7 Alabama pasted Auburn 49-27 on Saturday in the Iron Bowl, and it came as no surprise, because the Crimson Tide (10-2, 6-2 SEC) is armed with more abundant talent than its rival. Harsin allowed that to happen. He lost more talent than he gained in the transfer portal, and he failed as a recruiter.

ALABAMA FOOTBALL: Eli Gold, Alabama football announcer, shares update on health status

AUBURN COACHING SEARCH:Can the SEC stop Auburn football from hiring Hugh Freeze? Here's what league bylaws say

AUBURN FOOTBALL GRADES:Auburn football grades: What mark does Cadillac Williams get in season-ending Iron Bowl loss?

Take a good look at Auburn’s No. 39 position in the 247Sports Composite recruiting rankings, because if Freeze gets the reins of this program, Auburn (5-7, 2-6) will receive a recruiting jolt. Freeze is made for the NIL era, and he should be at ease cozying up to Auburn’s ardent boosters.

Freeze has emerged as the apparent frontrunner for Auburn’s opening after Lane Kiffin decided to stay at Ole Miss. Freeze acknowledged his interest in Auburn after Liberty’s regular-season finale.

Either Kiffin or Freeze would have been a significant coaching upgrade over Harsin, whom Auburn fired Oct. 31, but Freeze’s personality is more suited for what Auburn craves. He’d do the glad-handing and politicking that Auburn likes, and he’d ingrain himself in AU’s culture in a way Harsin never could – or Kiffin, for that matter. Freeze’s Southern charm would be a hit on the Plains, and Auburn needs his ability to develop quarterbacks, too.

Freeze, though, should not wait for his recruiting classes to take shape to jumpstart this roster.

If Freeze becomes Auburn’s coach, his first task is clear: He must go on a buy-one, get-one shopping spree in the transfer portal, because the product he’d inherit simply will not do.

Alabama’s wide receivers consistently carved up Auburn’s secondary throughout this Iron Bowl, while Bryce Young took a final bow at Bryant-Denny Stadium with a brilliant display of 391 yards of total offense. Young enjoyed plenty of time in the pocket, as Auburn’s front failed to generate pressure.

I'm not sold on Alabama's candidacy for College Football Playoff, even after Clemson and Ohio State losses, but the Crimson Tide's 516 yards of offense against Auburn at least gave the selection committee something to consider.

While Auburn’s next coach scours the portal for talent, he must be intentional about stockpiling offensive linemen. Despite starting a veteran offensive line, Auburn’s front did not dominate its opponent consistently enough this season.

Oh, and I’ve committed a journalistic sin by burying the lede: Auburn needs a quarterback upgrade. Auburn’s offense is one-dimensional with Robby Ashford at the wheel.

Quarterbacks languished under Harsin. They flourish under Freeze.

Auburn fans know this, and not just from his tenure as Ole Miss’ coach.

At Liberty, Freeze transformed Malik Willis into a third-round NFL Draft pick after Willis did not win Auburn’s starting job in two seasons playing for Gus Malzahn.

Ashford is an excellent runner – he weaved through Alabama’s defense on a first-quarter scoring run that gave Auburn a short-lived lead – and he tossed a perfectly thrown touchdown pass to Ja’Varrius Johnson.

But he piled up the incompletions, too, as he’s done throughout his redshirt freshman season. Playing for Freeze would do Ashford good, but Auburn must add more options to its offseason quarterback competition.

Look to LSU as a guide for Auburn’s path forward.

First-year Tigers coach Brian Kelly inherited some talent, but not enough depth, and he plundered the portal. Among his transfer haul, he added quarterback Jayden Daniels, who transformed LSU’s offense as the Tigers shocked Alabama and won the SEC West.

Seeing Freeze on the Auburn sideline is not an outcome Nick Saban should want. As Ole Miss’ coach, Freeze beat Saban twice, and he led the Rebels to two New Year’s Six bowl appearances.

Freeze resigned in 2017 while he juggled a personal scandal in one hand and a professional one in the other, but he’s never been accused of not knowing how to coach. In fact, his offensive approach at Ole Miss proved so effective that it inspired Saban to modernize Alabama’s offense in the Freeze fashion.

Freeze craves another chance in the SEC, and he’s always been a logical option for Auburn.

With Auburn’s NIL collective and the transfer portal at Freeze’s fingertips, he could transform the Tigers' roster and ensure the Iron Bowl's talent differential is not as lopsided as it appeared Saturday.

Blake Toppmeyer is an SEC Columnist for the USA TODAY Network. Email him at BToppmeyer@gannett.com and follow him on Twitter @btoppmeyer.

If you enjoy Blake’s coverage, consider a digital subscription that will allow you access to all of it. Also, check out his podcast, SEC Football Unfiltered, or access exclusive columns via the SEC Unfiltered

This article originally appeared on USA TODAY NETWORK: If Hugh Freeze becomes Auburn football coach, his 1st task is obvious

Tommy Tuberville: Auburn should hire Cadillac Williams as permanent coach

Updated: Nov. 24, 2022, 4:33 p.m.|Published: Nov. 24, 2022, 11:40 a.m.
2–3 minutes

Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville prepares to high five running back Carnell Williams as Williams leaves the game against Georgia late in the fourth quarter, Saturday, Nov. 13, 2004 in Auburn, Ala. (Mobile Register, G.M. Andrews)MOBILE REGISTER

U.S. Sen. Tommy Tuberville told sports radio show “In the Booth” that Auburn’s interim coach Cadillac Williams has done a great job of keeping the players focused on the game, according to a report from Yellow Hammer News.

Asked if Auburn University should hire Williams on a permanent basis, the former football coach said they should.

“Well they should. And it’s a tall order. I tell you what, he’s done a great job of just keeping the guys focused,” Tuberville said. “When you lose a coach and half the coaching staff, you’ve just got to keep your guys focused. And Carnell’s motivated.”

Tuberville added, “He’s letting the guys coach that are calling plays and calling defenses. They’ve had good game plans the last three games. And he just basically kept the guys off the bench motivated, kept the crowd into it.”

Tuberville then touched on this Saturday’s Iron Bowl against rival Alabama.

“If they win this game, there’s going to be a lot of sentiment toward hiring Carnell.”

Williams, who will become the first Black head coach in the Iron Bowl, ran for 204 yards in the 2003 Iron Bowl with Tuberville as coach.

Williams broke loose for an 80-yard touchdown run on the first play to spark a 28-23 Auburn win in 2003 that helped Tuberville keep his job. He still calls it one of his most memorable plays.

The radio call from late Auburn play-by-play man Rod Bramblett “Go crazy, Cadillac” became a rallying cry before the Texas A&M game after the school posted a photo of Williams wearing a “Go Crazy” T-shirt at practice.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Column | Auburn needs a winner, but at what cost?

Doug Segrest For the TimesDaily
4–5 minutes

A month ago, Auburn’s season was given up for dead. But the Tigers took a remarkable turnaround into Saturday’s Iron Bowl with a reclaimed toughness forged against the nation’s tough schedule.

But the task Saturday seemed insurmountable for an unranked Auburn team one win shy of bowl eligibility: take down seventh-ranked Alabama in the hostile confines of Bryant-Denny Stadium.

And it was just that.

Alabama pulled away 49-27 to dampen — but not spoil — the Tigers revival tour under interim coach Carnell “Cadillac” Williams.

A sold-out Bryant-Denny Stadium played a big role in the beatdown, causing penalties and confusion. But the biggest difference was up and down the roster. Alabama was the nation’s consensus preseason No. 1. Auburn was a consensus pick to finish last in the SEC West.

Even with a midseason coaching change, Auburn surpassed that.

Now the focus moves on to a full-time replacement. It will have to be someone who understands the SEC, knows high school football coaches from Coral Gables to Galveston and can scour the transfer portal for available talent like a headhunter for a Fortune 500 company.

National reports have labeled Lane Kiffin and Hugh Freeze as the two – and only --frontrunners. Both coached like they were headed elsewhere.

Ole Miss lost its final three games as Kiffin kinda, sorta deflected rumors that he might be headed to Auburn.

But Ole Miss’ three straight losses came against SEC rivals.

Under Freeze, Liberty followed an 8-1 start and an upset of Arkansas with losses to Arkansas State, Virginia Tech and (gulp) New Mexico State, souring some Auburn fans on the man who took down Nick Saban teams two consecutive years in his own stint in Oxford.

With Kiffin reportedly staying put, reports have labeled Freeze as the next man up. While writing this – as the Iron Bowl’s second half rages on – I may end up looking like a misguided fool, but I still remain skeptical that Freeze is Auburn’s choice.

He left Ole Miss under a cloud of darkness forged by his own shortcomings with NCAA rules. He’s rehabilitated his image from a wins and losses standpoint, but the character concerns remain legitimate.

There’s a reason no other SEC program has hired him, and it’s not just the initial “no” from Greg Sankey when a few explored bringing him in as an assistant.

He’s a good coach. Solid. He has some big wins. He’s definitely an upgrade over Bryan Harsin, who wasn’t a good fit at Auburn, but he’s not an upgrade on Gus Malzahn, the man Auburn paid an enormous ransom to take his talents to Central Florida.

Bottom line: Auburn can do better. Auburn should do better.

The notion of elevating Williams would be preferable. He’s an Auburn man, filled with heart, character and an empathy for players. He’s what Auburn professes to be about.

But it’s a move fraught with peril. Auburn has lost seven games in consecutive seasons. Quick turnarounds are possible now with the transfer portal. Yet the road to irrelevancy has never been steeper. Tennessee just climbed back from 15 years in exile. Nebraska just landed Matt Rhule in hopes he can end the program’s decades of aimless wandering in the desert of mediocrity.

That’s the conundrum for Auburn. You need a winner. But at what cost?