11/19/22 Auburn Articles

aubiefifty

Auburn AD John Cohen discusses coaching search, deadline for making a hire

Published: Nov. 18, 2022, 7:28 p.m.
5–6 minutes

John Cohen wants to know if a coach if right- or left-handed.

That’s just one of the 58 items on his detailed checklist of questions and criteria to sort through during the process of identifying Auburn’s next head football coach. Why is that important for him to ask? As a left-hander and former coach, Cohen had to train himself to think like a right-handed player when working with middle infielders during his baseball coaching career.

Read more Auburn football: Updating Auburn’s football coaching search

Auburn hopes to do right by star-crossed senior class in home finale against WKU

The story behind Cadillac Williams’ dapper gameday suit

“Coaches who have to demonstrate to kids who are right-handed who are left-handed, they have to act right-handed, right?” Cohen said during an in-house interview with Voice of the Auburn Tigers Andy Burcham. “So, it’s just one of the many questions that we’ve asked.”

Cohen detailed a few of the other criteria included on that handy 58-item list he first held up during his introductory press conference on the Plains last week. It included family background, relationships, recruiting prowess, social media presence and connectivity with not only a city and state, but an ability to connect with the Auburn base. Again, as he mentioned during that press conference, fit is important to consider.

“Not one of those things is the factor, but it certainly is a factor,” Cohen said. “You got to get to the bottom of all of it.”

During his sitdown with Burcham, Cohen provided a little more insight and a peek behind the curtains of Auburn’s ongoing coaching search. Auburn parted ways with then-coach Bryan Harsin on Halloween, less than two years into his contract and just hours before Cohen was officially named athletics director, and elevated Cadillac Williams to interim head coach for the remainder of the season. The search for the Tigers’ next full-time coach is in full swing, and while Cohen didn’t divulge too many specifics — or discuss any potential candidates — he went a little more into his process and a deadline for making a hire.

“Well, it’s an information-gathering process, and it takes a while,” Cohen said. “We don’t have a long period of time… but it’s important that you’re not overwhelmed by a deadline. Having done this before, it’s important you’re not in a speed race; you’re after the right person. You can get into recruiting deadlines and things of that nature, especially now with the transfer portal, but the most important thing is to get the right person.

“Obviously, there’s the basic three—there’s the X’s and O’s, there’s the recruiting and there’s the culture piece the head coach brings, then there’s a variety of other things you have to find out as well. Especially coaches that have a long, long track record, getting to the bottom of everything they’ve ever accomplished is an important thing also.”

As he previously stated, Cohen has enlisted a search firm to help with the process, particularly from a logistics standpoint. The firm isn’t identifying candidates, but it is being used for background checks and to help facilitate meetings between Cohen and candidates.

“This isn’t all about secrecy, but at the same time, while you’re going through this process, it’s important for it to stay small until it gets big,” Cohen said. “If we can get that accomplished, that’ll be a big part of the success of this.”

Though Cohen is being judicious with the process, he also understands the looming deadline and need for urgency. The transfer portal opens on Dec. 5, and the early signing period is just more than a month away, beginning Dec. 21. That timeline has made the search Cohen’s top priority, with other athletics department personnel decisions and any facility matters being pushed to the side until a coaching hire is made. This process is dominating Cohen’s schedule, 24/7, he said.

“We’re going to work expeditiously, but the tick, tick, tick isn’t going to rule what we’re doing, but we’re going to move quickly,” he said.

Auburn has used in-house committees to assist with coaching searches in the past, including during the 2020 search that led to the hiring of Harsin from Boise State, but that isn’t the case this time around. Cohen is running point on the search, with the assistance of deputy athletics director Rich McGlynn, thus keeping information close to the vest.

That hasn’t stopped him from seeking input from other sources during the process, however.

“I will have some input from some former players, I’ll have some input from some former coaches, I’ll have some input from our administration,” Cohen said. “I want that information, but at the end of the day, this is going to be a John Cohen hire.”

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

If you purchase a product or register for an account through one of the links on our site, we may receive compensation.

Western Kentucky vs. Auburn by the numbers

Published: Nov. 19, 2022, 7:00 a.m.
6–7 minutes

Western Kentucky (7-4) at Auburn (4-6)

3 p.m. CST Saturday (SEC Network)

Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn

2 Previous games between Auburn and Western Kentucky. The Tigers defeated the Hilltoppers 48-3 on Nov. 27, 2003, and 37-14 on Nov. 24, 2005.

2 Auburn players have recorded at least 20 sacks and 30 tackles for loss this century – Quentin Groves with 26 sacks and 37 tackles for loss from 2004 through 2007 and Antonio Coleman with 24.5 sacks and 46.5 tackles for loss from 2006 through 2009. Auburn LB Derick Hall needs 0.5 sacks and 1.5 tackles for loss to join the group.

MORE SEC FOOTBALL BY THE NUMBERS:

· TOP 10 FOR WEEK 12

· TOP 10 FROM WEEK 11

3 100-yard rushing games for Auburn RB Jarquez Hunter. In each, Auburn RB Tank Bigsby also ran for 100 yards. In a 60-10 victory over Akron on Sept. 4, 2021, Bigsby had 119 rushing yards and Hunter had 110. In a 62-0 victory over Alabama State on Sept. 11, 2021, Hunter had 147 rushing yards and Bigsby had 122. In last week’s 13-10 victory over Texas A&M, Hunter and Bigsby had 121 rushing yards apiece. Bigsby had 12 100-yard rushing games in his career.

3 Years since Western Kentucky’s previous non-conference November game. The Hilltoppers defeated Arkansas 45-19 on Nov. 9, 2019. Since then, Western Kentucky’s November schedule consisted of Conference USA contests until Saturday’s game. That’s one of four victories for the Hilltoppers against SEC opponents. WKU also defeated Kentucky in 2012 and 2013 and Vanderbilt in 2015. The Hilltoppers have won four of their past nine meetings with SEC opponents.

3 SEC players have scored more points than Auburn K Anders Carlson, who has 410 in his career. Auburn’s Daniel Carlson, Anders Carlson’s brother, holds the SEC record with 480 points from 2014 through 2017. Georgia K Rodrigo Blankenship scored 440 points from 2016 through 2019, and Georgia K Blair Walsh scored 412 points from 2008 through 2011.

5 Victories without a loss against Conference USA opponents for Auburn. The Tigers defeated Tulane in 2006, Southern Miss in 2008 and 2018, Florida Atlantic in 2013 and Louisiana Tech in 2014.

6 First downs have been gained by the Auburn offense via a penalty against the opponent’s defense, tied with Air Force and Army for the fewest in the nation this season. Western Kentucky has gained 20 first downs through its opponents’ penalties.

8 Auburn players have had more rushing yards than RB Tank Bigsby, who moved into ninth place by passing Ronnie Brown on the school’s all-time list in the Tigers’ previous game. With 2,731 rushing yards, Bigsby is 58 behind No. 8 Brent Fullwood.

30 Takeaways for Western Kentucky this season, three more than any other team in the nation. The Hilltoppers are tied with Illinois for the national lead with 17 interceptions and have recovered 13 of their opponents’ fumbles in 2022. Western Kentucky has a turnover margin of plus-14, tied for the second-best in the nation. Auburn, which has lost 20 turnovers this season, has a turnover margin of minus-10. Only five teams in the nation are worse.

32 Years since Auburn lost a non-conference game in November. The Tigers’ most recent loss in a non-conference game in the 11th month came on Nov. 10, 1990, when Auburn fell to Southern Miss 13-12. Since that game, the Tigers have won all 23 of their non-conference games in November. In those games, Auburn has beaten Louisiana-Monroe five times, Samford three times, Alabama A&M, New Mexico State and UCF twice apiece and Louisiana, East Carolina, Arkansas State, Tennessee Tech, Tennessee-Martin, Furman, Chattanooga, Idaho and Liberty once each.

45 Receiving yards are needed by Western Kentucky WR Malachi Corley to reach 1,000 for the 2022 season. Corley has 70 receptions for 955 yards and seven TDs this season.

46 Consecutive victories for Auburn in home games against unranked non-conference opponents. The most recent non-SEC team to come into Jordan-Hare Stadium unranked and upend the Tigers is South Florida, which scored a 26-23 victory on Sept. 7, 2007. Both Auburn and South Florida went 9-4 that season.

60 Games for Auburn TE John Samuel Shenker, the most in school history. In last week’s 13-10 victory over Texas A&M, Shenker passed LB T.D. Moultry for sole possession of the record. Moultry played in 59 games from 2017 through 2021.

127 Consecutive games without being shut out for Auburn, the second-longest streak in school history. Auburn’s most recent shutout loss came 49-0 to Alabama on Nov. 17, 2012. Auburn’s record scoring streak lasted 149 games, starting with a 55-16 victory over Richmond on Oct. 4, 1980, and ending with a 17-0 loss to Alabama on Nov. 26, 1992.

151 Points have been scored in the second quarter this season by Western Kentucky. The Hilltoppers have a 94-point scoring advantage in the second period in 2022. Auburn has been outscored 104-67 in the second quarter this season.

549 Rushing yards for Auburn QB Robby Ashford, which ranks 10th on the Tigers’ all-time freshman list. Two other current Tigers are on the list – RB Tank Bigsby in second with 834 rushing yards in 2020 and RB Jarquez Hunter in ninth with 593 rushing yards in 2021.

3,550 Passing yards for Western Kentucky QB Austin Reed this season, the second-most in the nation. Reed has completed 299-of-441 passes with 31 TDs and seven interceptions.

FOR MORE OF AL.COM’S COVERAGE OF THE SEC, GO TO OUR SEC PAGE

Mark Inabinett is a sports reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter at @AMarkG1.

If you purchase a product or register for an account through one of the links on our site, we may receive compensation.

si.com

Carnell Williams previews the game plan vs Western Kentucky

Zac Blackerby
~3 minutes

The Auburn Tigers will look to play they did a week ago against Texas A&M. If they do, it should be enough to get a win against the Western Kentucky Hilltoppers. 

Thursday night at Tiger Talk, interim head coach Carnell Williams was asked about the offensive and defensive game plans this weekend. 

"I know they throw it around the yard a lot," Williams said on the WKU offense. "We have to contain the explosive plays. We have to rally around the football and put a cap on that. They get the football out really quick. They throw a lot of screens and a lot of gap schemes. They do a good job of complimenting their run game with the passing game. I’ll tell you what, I know our defense is up to the challenge, I’m looking forward to seeing them play."

When asked by Voice of the Auburn Tigers Andy Burcham if they planned to pound the ball on offense, Williams didn't shy away. 

"Yeah, I’m a former running back and I believe in running the football. When Auburn is at its best, we play really good defense and run the football. But of course, we are going to have to give the receivers and tight ends opportunities. We are going to play a lot better in the passing game. We will play better on third downs. I believe that. We had a good week of practice, those guys have confidence. We will be ready to play Saturday."

Brad Law asked a follow-up on the offense and how Auburn has ran it effectively over the past few weeks. 

"I think one of the greatest feelings in life is when a team knows you’re going to run the ball and they can’t stop it. To me, that is an attitude thing. It starts with the offensive line. They are playing tough, nasty, hard-nosed football. The wide receivers blocking on the perimeter. It’s not just running backs, those guys are moving the pile. You add on Robby’s ability to run the football, it is dynamic. Running backs have to win the one on ones and they have done a good job getting yards after contact."

#PMARSHONAU: For Cadillac Williams, it's about family and giving back to Auburn

Phillip Marshall
9–11 minutes

Carnell Williams did not hesitate when he answered the question Thursday afternoon. What were his thoughts about what his future would hold when he is no longer Auburn’s interim head football coach?

“I haven’t had time to think about it,” Williams said. “I’ve always lived my life in the present. I am kind of in the mindset that I don’t worry about what’s next. My now will take care of what’s next. I’m in the moment. I have enjoyed it.

11327077.png?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320

“One thing I don’t do is let my position dictate my service. Whether I’m the head coach or a position coach, whatever, I truly feel like I was put on this earth to serve, to give back and pour into people’s lives. It doesn’t matter if I am the head coach or the running backs coach or something else.”

That answer is what the man they call Cadillac is all about. And it comes as no surprise to his mother, Sherry Williams, or his wife, Evan.

“When he was in high school, he was like that,” his mother said. “He always wanted to take people with him and help other people. He’s always been like that.”

Evan Williams sees the same person running Auburn’s football program that she saw when they met at Haley Center the third week of their freshman year in 2001.

“He was pretty shy, actually,” Evan said. “People who know him know he’s pretty reserved. We dated for a long time. Even friends I have who were friends with when we were dating joke that they didn’t even know he could talk until about five years later.

“I guess I was more surprised that he wasn’t a typical athlete. He was pretty shy and polite. I liked that about him.”

Growing up in Gadsden, life was often not easy for Williams and his family. His mother worked multiple jobs to provide for her six children. Little Carnell promised that one day he was going to take care of her.

“My mother my whole life has been my why,” Williams said, “why I do what I do. My whole life has been to help her better her life. I’ve seen her struggle. That has been my whole passion, my whole dream to take care of her.”

In 2011, Williams married the love of his life. He and his wife, Evan, have two sons – 8-year-old Cole and 6-year-old Cuin.

“My wife and my family have become my why,” Williams said. “We have two beautiful young boys. I could not do it without her. She is a great person, a great mother, a great friend. I can’t brag enough about her. The women in my life keep me humble. They keep me on a straight line.”

11450701.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 (Photo: Greg McWilliams, 247Sports)

As he grew, the little boy who so loved his mother became one of the great running backs in Alabama high school history at Etowah. Birmingham sportscaster Mike Raita dubbed him “Cadillac,” a name that stuck. He signed with Auburn and became an All-American and one of the more popular players in recent program history. Only Bo Jackson rushed for more yards in an Auburn uniform. He played seven years in the NFL. He kept his promise.

“God is so good,” Williams said. “I have been blessed in my life to have so many people contribute to my success and help me along the way. This success is for many, many other people that poured into me and helped me pursue my dreams and accomplish a lot of my dreams.”

Among those who knew him best, Williams was known as much for his ferocious work ethic and his compassion for those around him as he was his unique talent. It all started with his mother.

“He is always giving me credit, and I’m grateful, but I always tell him to give God the credit,” Sherry Williams said. “If it wasn’t for God, I wouldn’t be where I am today and he wouldn’t be doing what he is today. I  have always believed if you want something, you are going to have to work hard and get out there and get it.”

When Williams arrived on campus in the summer of 2001, he was the crown jewel of Auburn’s recruiting class. As is the way of college football, his teammates would call on him to prove himself. They dubbed him “Pinto,” saying he had to show he was a Cadillac.

On the first day in pads, linebackers coach Joe Whitt put standout D.T. Thomas in to go against the freshman Williams. And Williams won the drill.

“I think that was the moment I kind of got everybody’s attention,” Williams said. “I was probably a buck 80. I was a quiet guy, a chill guy. The question was ‘What will Pinto do when he gets in pads?’ I said ‘I’m going to hit him before he hits me.’ I think I earned the guys’ respect just with tenacity.”

Soon, he was Cadillac again.

Williams fought through season-ending injuries as a freshman and sophomore, winning yet more respect. He was a driving force in Auburn’s 13-0 season in 2004 and was chosen by the Tampa Bay Bucs with the No. 5 pick in the 2005 NFL draft.

After fighting through more injuries, he retired in 2011. He coached at Henderson State, was a graduate assistant at West Georgia, coached at IMG Academy and finally for the Birmingham Iron in the ill-fated Alliance of American Football. In 2019, then-head coach Gus Malzahn called him home to coach Auburn’s running backs.

Monday, Oct. 31, was like any other Monday for Williams. Auburn had struggled badly in a 42-27 loss to Arkansas two days earlier. After Williams got to work, everything soon changed. Head coach Bryan Harsin was fired, which was not a significant surprise. That’s when Williams got the call he did not expect. He would be Auburn’s interim head coach. He would be the first African-American to lead Auburn’s football program.

11450703.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 (Photo: Greg McWilliams, 247Sports)

“It’s awesome,” his mother said. “When I heard about it I thought everybody was playing a joke on me. It just blew my mind. When I did find out, I said ‘This is crazy. How can a running backs coach be a head coach?’ To God be the glory. I am so happy.”

At home, Evan was proud and excited, and she knew her life was going to be different, too.

“Oh, man,” she said. “We have gotten very little sleep. That first week, I think between the two of us we got about 12 hours sleep that whole week. I was just making sure my husband was OK. This is a huge undertaking. He was concerned about doing all the right things, making sure he was taking care of his players and taking care of his staff. He’s a very giving person. He gets that from his mom. They will work themselves into the ground.

“I knew he was going to work his butt off for Auburn, for his players and his staff. My job as his wife is to make sure I am serving him so he is able to do all that.”

Even as a player, Williams, who overcame a childhood stuttering problem, was not comfortable in interview situations. When he was named interim head coach, his mother and his wife wondered how would handle in the interview demands that came with it. They need not have worried. He has earned nothing but praise for how he has handled those times.

“To me, it is a big deal,” Evan said. “That’s not how he would want to spend that time. I am impressed that he has overcome that fear. He used to hate those press conferences. He was always so nervous. He did overcome stuttering, and that bothered him. It’s a big deal that he is so much more comfortable. “He is just being who he is, country boy and all.”

With little time to prepare, Williams took his team to Mississippi State for his first game as interim head coach. The Tigers fought back from a 21-0 deficit to take the lead, but Mississippi State won 39-33 in overtime. Even in defeat, Auburn people saw a team playing with passion and heart.

A week later, Texas A&M visited Auburn. Jordan-Hare Stadium was sold out for a game between two teams with 3-6 records. The atmosphere was electric from start to finish.

“These kids, this staff, the way they have responded, everybody is locked in,” Williams said. “I have to tip my hat to the Auburn family. I mean, come on. We were a 3-6 team and you would have thought we were playing for a national championship. It was unreal. It’s a credit to these players, these coaches, to the Auburn family and to Auburn University and how great this place is.”

Dozens of Williams’ former teammates were there. His family was there. His wife’s family was there. They saw Auburn win 13-10.

“It was so fun,” Evan said. “I’m on the field after games anyway, but it was different. Our family was there – his mom, his brothers, his nieces, his nephews, our kids. My parents were there, my brother. Tons of friends and family were in the stands. It was just so much fun.”

When it was over, Williams did an interview with sportscaster Cole Cubelic, a former teammate. He had a hug waiting at every turn. His shirt was soaked from the ice water his players had dumped on him as time ran out. He held his son, who gave him an enthusiastic hug.

Before he could go celebrate in the locker room, he had one more thing to do. Waving a towel, he ran across the field, where the student section was still packed. The cheers were loud and long. In the locker room, his players gave him the game ball.

In two weeks, Williams has revived Auburn football.

10COMMENTS

When the celebrating was done, Williams had a chance to reflect on what had just happened, what he had shared with his family.

“It brought so much joy to my heart that my family could experience that with me,” Williams said. “It’s something nobody can ever take away from them.”

• Thanks 1