11/18/22 Auburn Articles

aubiefifty

Defensive keys to beating the Western Kentucky Hilltoppers

River Wells
3–4 minutes

It’s almost gameday, and the Tigers are coming up against an offense similar to one it has seen before.

The Western Kentucky Hilltoppers like to throw the football, and the Tigers will be on guard after facing a similar style of offense in its close loss to Mississippi State two weeks ago. Auburn is sure to have learned, however, and interim head coach Cadillac Williams will likely hope to avoid the fate he suffered at the hands of Mike Leach’s Bulldogs this time around.

Buy Tigers Tickets

Here are four defensive keys the Tigers should look out for when playing WKU on Saturday:

a449a14c4de94227835a8cb94c218082.jpg

(AP Photo/Wilfredo Lee)

In the photo above, you’ll see the Hilltoppers handing off a football — don’t expect them to do it too often on Saturday.

The Hilltoppers are an air raid team (or air-raid adjacent, anyway) like Mississippi State. That means that the offense is entirely centered around throwing the football, and the run game won’t be a point of emphasis. Western Kentucky has only ran the football 326 times this year (and that is accounting for quarterback sacks as well) and has passed the football much more (454 times). Focus the gameplan against the pass and drop your linebackers into coverage to stifle the Hilltoppers’ offense.

USATSI_19062841.jpg

Marc Lebryk-USA TODAY Sports

Quarterbacks are the heart of the air raid. Disrupt the quarterback, and the offense slows all the way down.

Guys like Derick Hall are going to want to get to the quarterback because it will help the entire team. If quarterback Austin Reed is pressured, then that makes it easier for the secondary to protect against the pass. Once that happens, Western Kentucky have to rely on the run game a little more than it would like — that would make Auburn’s job a whole lot easier on Saturday.

USATSI_19062383.jpg

Marc Lebryk-USA TODAY Sports

Normally, a team has a star wideout that draws a lot of attention from defensive backs. This isn’t the case for the Hilltoppers.

Receiver Malachi Nelson has the most yards on the team with 953, but he’s caught seven touchdowns on the year — same as wideout Daewood Davis, and just two more touchdowns than tight end Joshua Simon. Western Kentucky spreads the football around, so the Tigers shouldn’t focus on a specific wide receiver to cover or put an extra safety on. Instead, get the coverage schemes tight and watch out for the Hilltoppers’ multitude of talented receivers.

1242932445.jpg

(Photo by Darryl Oumi/Getty Images)

Some may look at this matchup as a “gimme game.” Those people would be sorely mistaken.

Western Kentucky isn’t a Power 5 squad, but it is still a good football team. The Tigers are only projected to have a 53% chance to beat the 7-4 Hilltoppers on ESPN’s FPI, and the high-flying offense will likely be the best non-conference game Auburn plays without counting the Penn State matchup earlier in the year. Stick to the gameplan, but don’t overlook the Hilltoppers — if the Tigers respect the opponent, they should be fine.

• Thanks 2

#PMARSHONAU: For Cadillac Williams, it's about family and giving back to Auburn

Phillip Marshall
9–11 minutes

Carnell Williams did not hesitate when he answered the question Thursday afternoon. What were his thoughts about what his future would hold when he is no longer Auburn’s interim head football coach?

“I haven’t had time to think about it,” Williams said. “I’ve always lived my life in the present. I am kind of in the mindset that I don’t worry about what’s next. My now will take care of what’s next. I’m in the moment. I have enjoyed it.

11327077.png?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320

“One thing I don’t do is let my position dictate my service. Whether I’m the head coach or a position coach, whatever, I truly feel like I was put on this earth to serve, to give back and pour into people’s lives. It doesn’t matter if I am the head coach or the running backs coach or something else.”

That answer is what the man they call Cadillac is all about. And it comes as no surprise to his mother, Sherry Williams, or his wife, Evan.

“When he was in high school, he was like that,” his mother said. “He always wanted to take people with him and help other people. He’s always been like that.”

Evan Williams sees the same person running Auburn’s football program that she saw when they met at Haley Center the third week of their freshman year in 2001.

“He was pretty shy, actually,” Evan said. “People who know him know he’s pretty reserved. We dated for a long time. Even friends I have who were friends with when we were dating joke that they didn’t even know he could talk until about five years later.

“I guess I was more surprised that he wasn’t a typical athlete. He was pretty shy and polite. I liked that about him.”

Growing up in Gadsden, life was often not easy for Williams and his family. His mother worked multiple jobs to provide for her six children. Little Carnell promised that one day he was going to take care of her.

“My mother my whole life has been my why,” Williams said, “why I do what I do. My whole life has been to help her better her life. I’ve seen her struggle. That has been my whole passion, my whole dream to take care of her.”

In 2011, Williams married the love of his life. He and his wife, Evan, have two sons – 8-year-old Cole and 6-year-old Cuin.

“My wife and my family have become my why,” Williams said. “We have two beautiful young boys. I could not do it without her. She is a great person, a great mother, a great friend. I can’t brag enough about her. The women in my life keep me humble. They keep me on a straight line.”

11450701.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 (Photo: Greg McWilliams, 247Sports)

As he grew, the little boy who so loved his mother became one of the great running backs in Alabama high school history at Etowah. Birmingham sportscaster Mike Raita dubbed him “Cadillac,” a name that stuck. He signed with Auburn and became an All-American and one of the more popular players in recent program history. Only Bo Jackson rushed for more yards in an Auburn uniform. He played seven years in the NFL. He kept his promise.

“God is so good,” Williams said. “I have been blessed in my life to have so many people contribute to my success and help me along the way. This success is for many, many other people that poured into me and helped me pursue my dreams and accomplish a lot of my dreams.”

Among those who knew him best, Williams was known as much for his ferocious work ethic and his compassion for those around him as he was his unique talent. It all started with his mother.

“He is always giving me credit, and I’m grateful, but I always tell him to give God the credit,” Sherry Williams said. “If it wasn’t for God, I wouldn’t be where I am today and he wouldn’t be doing what he is today. I  have always believed if you want something, you are going to have to work hard and get out there and get it.”

When Williams arrived on campus in the summer of 2001, he was the crown jewel of Auburn’s recruiting class. As is the way of college football, his teammates would call on him to prove himself. They dubbed him “Pinto,” saying he had to show he was a Cadillac.

On the first day in pads, linebackers coach Joe Whitt put standout D.T. Thomas in to go against the freshman Williams. And Williams won the drill.

“I think that was the moment I kind of got everybody’s attention,” Williams said. “I was probably a buck 80. I was a quiet guy, a chill guy. The question was ‘What will Pinto do when he gets in pads?’ I said ‘I’m going to hit him before he hits me.’ I think I earned the guys’ respect just with tenacity.”

Soon, he was Cadillac again.

Williams fought through season-ending injuries as a freshman and sophomore, winning yet more respect. He was a driving force in Auburn’s 13-0 season in 2004 and was chosen by the Tampa Bay Bucs with the No. 5 pick in the 2005 NFL draft.

After fighting through more injuries, he retired in 2011. He coached at Henderson State, was a graduate assistant at West Georgia, coached at IMG Academy and finally for the Birmingham Iron in the ill-fated Alliance of American Football. In 2019, then-head coach Gus Malzahn called him home to coach Auburn’s running backs.

Monday, Oct. 31, was like any other Monday for Williams. Auburn had struggled badly in a 42-27 loss to Arkansas two days earlier. After Williams got to work, everything soon changed. Head coach Bryan Harsin was fired, which was not a significant surprise. That’s when Williams got the call he did not expect. He would be Auburn’s interim head coach. He would be the first African-American to lead Auburn’s football program.

11450703.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 (Photo: Greg McWilliams, 247Sports)

“It’s awesome,” his mother said. “When I heard about it I thought everybody was playing a joke on me. It just blew my mind. When I did find out, I said ‘This is crazy. How can a running backs coach be a head coach?’ To God be the glory. I am so happy.”

At home, Evan was proud and excited, and she knew her life was going to be different, too.

“Oh, man,” she said. “We have gotten very little sleep. That first week, I think between the two of us we got about 12 hours sleep that whole week. I was just making sure my husband was OK. This is a huge undertaking. He was concerned about doing all the right things, making sure he was taking care of his players and taking care of his staff. He’s a very giving person. He gets that from his mom. They will work themselves into the ground.

“I knew he was going to work his butt off for Auburn, for his players and his staff. My job as his wife is to make sure I am serving him so he is able to do all that.”

Even as a player, Williams, who overcame a childhood stuttering problem, was not comfortable in interview situations. When he was named interim head coach, his mother and his wife wondered how would handle in the interview demands that came with it. They need not have worried. He has earned nothing but praise for how he has handled those times.

“To me, it is a big deal,” Evan said. “That’s not how he would want to spend that time. I am impressed that he has overcome that fear. He used to hate those press conferences. He was always so nervous. He did overcome stuttering, and that bothered him. It’s a big deal that he is so much more comfortable. “He is just being who he is, country boy and all.”

With little time to prepare, Williams took his team to Mississippi State for his first game as interim head coach. The Tigers fought back from a 21-0 deficit to take the lead, but Mississippi State won 39-33 in overtime. Even in defeat, Auburn people saw a team playing with passion and heart.

A week later, Texas A&M visited Auburn. Jordan-Hare Stadium was sold out for a game between two teams with 3-6 records. The atmosphere was electric from start to finish.

“These kids, this staff, the way they have responded, everybody is locked in,” Williams said. “I have to tip my hat to the Auburn family. I mean, come on. We were a 3-6 team and you would have thought we were playing for a national championship. It was unreal. It’s a credit to these players, these coaches, to the Auburn family and to Auburn University and how great this place is.”

Dozens of Williams’ former teammates were there. His family was there. His wife’s family was there. They saw Auburn win 13-10.

“It was so fun,” Evan said. “I’m on the field after games anyway, but it was different. Our family was there – his mom, his brothers, his nieces, his nephews, our kids. My parents were there, my brother. Tons of friends and family were in the stands. It was just so much fun.”

When it was over, Williams did an interview with sportscaster Cole Cubelic, a former teammate. He had a hug waiting at every turn. His shirt was soaked from the ice water his players had dumped on him as time ran out. He held his son, who gave him an enthusiastic hug.

Before he could go celebrate in the locker room, he had one more thing to do. Waving a towel, he ran across the field, where the student section was still packed. The cheers were loud and long. In the locker room, his players gave him the game ball.

In two weeks, Williams has revived Auburn football.

2COMMENTS

When the celebrating was done, Williams had a chance to reflect on what had just happened, what he had shared with his family.

“It brought so much joy to my heart that my family could experience that with me,” Williams said. “It’s something nobody can ever take away from them.”

• Love 1

Jason Campbell wants Auburn to retain Cadillac Williams: 'We want Carnell to be a staple at Auburn'

Grant Hughes
3–4 minutes

Auburn continues its coaching search as the Tigers look to replace the fired Bryan Harsin. In the meantime, the actual on-field product appears to have improved under interim coach Cadillac Williams, who led the Tigers to an overtime loss against Mississippi State in Week 12 and a 13-10 win over Texas A&M at home last weekend. Former Auburn quarterback Jason Campbell has been impressed by the job Williams has done over the past two weeks and hopes the program will retain him at the end of the season.

"I would love to see Carnell at Auburn in some form because he means so much to that university," Campbell said on Thursday's edition of The Paul Finebaum Show. "We want Carnell to be a staple at Auburn. He's been able to basically right the ship. He made the team see things differently. He's made the people inside that building come to work with a little bit more energy. That's what he's all about, just bringing this team together. Until a hire is made, all doors are open. He's really done himself a good service. The last two games he's coached in, he got these kids to play and not quit. That goes a long way."

During his playing days, Williams was among the most electric players ever to don an Auburn uniform. He finished his four-year career in 2004 with 3,831 rushing yards, the second-most in Auburn history behind Bo Jackson. Campbell says Williams' successes as a collegiate athlete helps him relate to his players.

"Carnell is he's very energetic," Campbell said. "He's very enthusiastic about what he does. I think these kids can relate to him. He's the guy that used to sit in that locker room, played in that football stadium and used to wear that emblem on the side of his helmet. When he speaks, knowing his pedigree, the kids buy into what he's trying to teach them. He brings a different element. They needed a boost of energy and someone to teach them what it looks like to be an Auburn man, what it feels like to play in the SEC, and how you have to compete week in and week out."

Campbell says Williams has a bright future in coaching whether or not he remains Auburn's head coach past this season.

"He showed people that he can galvanize a bunch of young men, and he can get them to come out and play hard. This is great for his resume," Campbell said. "Whatever happens after the Iron Bowl, we would just love to make sure that he's still here."

If Williams isn't the man for the job, Campbell expects athletic director John Cohen to target an offensive-minded coach.

Subscribe to 247Sports YouTube for the latest college football, basketball and recruiting news including live college commitments.

"I think Auburn is leaning towards an offensive coach," Campbell said. "I just feel like we've sputtered a little bit offensively. I just feel like whoever gets the job is going to be an offensive mind who can galvanize quarterbacks and receivers and put these guys in a situation and score points. It's gonna be an interesting hire."

">247Sports
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Podcast: How hiring Lane Kiffin would impact Auburn football recruiting

Zac Blackerby
~2 minutes

Lane Kiffin has emerged as the favorite to be the next Auburn football head coach. While names like Dabo Swinny, Hugh Freeze, and Dan Lanning are still out there, Auburn football recruiting will see a step forward regardless of who replaces Carnell Williams at the end of the season after Bryan Harsin was fired.

Names like Jeremiah Cobb are important to Auburn fans. The Auburn Tigers should be able to hold onto most of the 2023 recruiting class due to the circumstances. How the Auburn Tigers handled Saturday was huge and helped set up the next coach.

On today's Locked On Auburn, Zac Blackerby is joined by John Garcia of Sports Illustrated to talk all things Auburn football recruiting and how a hire should impact the next few weeks.

Join the Discord: https://discord.gg/4BT7Y2uVHu

Read Auburn Daily: http://auburndaily.com/

• Thanks 1

• Thanks 1

What Cadilliac Williams said about Auburn's game vs. WKU on 'Tiger Talk'

Updated: Nov. 17, 2022, 6:35 p.m.|Published: Nov. 17, 2022, 6:02 p.m.
5–6 minutes

Auburn’s home finale is less than 48 hours away, as fans will file into Jordan-Hare Stadium for the last time this fall when the Tigers host Western Kentucky.

Interim coach Cadillac Williams will try to make it two in a row for his alma mater after last week’s emotional and sentimental win against Texas A&M. Kickoff between the Tigers and Hilltoppers is set for 3 p.m. on SEC Network.

Read more Auburn football: The story behind Cadillac Williams’ dapper gameday suit

Scarbinsky: Gotta be happy for UCF’s Gus Malzahn, who made Auburn a better place

Auburn DT Jeffrey M’ba a game-time decision against Western Kentucky

Before Auburn heads into its penultimate game of the regular season, Williams made his weekly appearance on the “Tiger Talk” radio show, joining hosts Andy Burcham and Brad Law to preview Saturday’s matchup, which will also represent Auburn’s Senior Day. Below is a quick recap of what Williams had to say during his segments on the show:

CADILLAC WILLIAMS

-- On settling into a rhythm three weeks into his new role: “Not quite,” but expresses more appreciation for the fans, his players and staff for last week. “It’s been a little challenging, because we have a ballgame this Saturday. It’s one of those things where you have short-term memory, flush it” and turn to WKU.

-- On key to turning the page after an emotional win: “One of the big messages is that we got to continue to serve, we got to continue to be disciplined, and we got to continue to believe.” Says the key is to stay in the moment, minute by minute, and enjoying the now. “Nothing is guaranteed, so I feel like if we have that type of attitude, we can beat anybody if we stay present in the moment.”

-- His approach to defense: “Let’s simplify. Let’s get these guys playing with confidence.”

-- Says that “many, many, many, many moons ago” he was a “decent” safety -- and maybe a bit of a headhunter.

-- On his HS coach, Raymond Farmer: “He was ahead of his time. He has us prepared not only physically, but also mentally. He held us accountable and treated everybody fair.”

-- On his Senior Day memories as a player: “Very emotional. Just knowing that was going to be my last time in Jordan-Hare suiting up, so I challenged the team that we owe it to these seniors. I challenged the coaches that we owe it to these seniors to send them off the right way.... That’s going to be a tough moment for myself.”

-- On his energy on the sideline, Williams says he jogs three miles a couple times a week. He worked to get into better shape during the preseason. “I know I’m not playing the game and I’m not out there on the field, but I’m in that mindset of almost like I am. It’s a good feeling.”

-- On what inspired him to be a high-energy coach: Says he’s naturally energetic but was struggling to figure out what kind of head coach he should be. Said a lot of head coaches don’t act that way, but Auburn’s running backs inspired him to be himself. “You know what, I’m about to have fun with it. I’m about to be myself.”

-- On his favorite part of the new football facility: “As a player, probably, honestly, it’s the two locker rooms.” There’s one locker room that’s more of a lounge; the other is to get ready for practice. Says as a coach, his favorite aspect is the virtual walkthrough room, where three projectors splice together a life-size image onto the wall, allowing team to do a walkthrough and break down plays/personnel in real time.

-- On his favorite piece of football memorabilia: A signed Derrick Brooks jersey from the year Williams got injured, because he thinks “very, very highly” of Brooks. Then he says last week’s game ball tops that. “That game ball is my pride and joy.”

-- On fan support this weekend: “Calling out the Auburn family and The Jungle: Let’s show up and show out. It shouldn’t be hard to do; it’s Senior Day, right?”

-- On WKU’s offense: “I know they throw it around the yard a lot.” Says Auburn needs to limit explosive plays and rally to the football. WKU throws a lot of screens and gets the ball out of the QB’s hands quickly.

-- “I believe in running the football.... When Auburn is at its best, we play defense and we run the football.” Still, he vows the passing game will improve, as will third-down efficiency. “We are going to be ready to play Saturday.”

-- “We’re only as strong as our weakest link,” Williams says, praising the next-man-up mentality of the offensive line and the work Will Friend and Kendall Simmons have done with that group in recent weeks.

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

If you purchase a product or register for an account through one of the links on our site, we may receive compensation.

• Thanks 2

Charles Barkley reveals his top candidate for the vacant Auburn job

Taylor Jones
2–3 minutes

26c0b45c8522a6d93c70839dffb411e5

It has been two-and-a-half weeks since Auburn University elected to part with head football coach Bryan Harsin.

With a story of that magnitude rocking Auburn athletics, it is strange that former Auburn Basketball star and current NBA analyst Charles Barkley has stayed quiet.

He finally shared his thoughts on the coaching search Thursday.

As a guest on “The Next Round” hosted by Lance Taylor, Jim Dunaway, and Ryan Brown, Barkley was asked if he likes the idea of Ole Miss head coach Lane Kiffin becoming the next head coach of Auburn Football. Barkley steered clear of Kiffin in favor of another candidate

“I’m going to support whoever the coach is. I personally want Deion Sanders,” Barkley responded.

He continued his response by providing two reasons for selecting his top candidate. His first reason was given in a way that only Barkley could give.

“He’s gonna recruit like hell,” Barkley said. “Deion (Sanders) is going to win wherever where he goes. If you have ever been around Deion Sanders…  I watched that 60 minutes interview about a month ago… I have known Deion Sanders since college, that’s the way he is. He is going to win or be successful at anything he does.”

Barkley becomes the second Auburn legend to put a good word out for Deion Sanders. In an interview with Tony Anderson of USA TODAY Sports last month, former Auburn three-sport letter winner Bo Jackson said that he would welcome the idea of Sanders coaching at Auburn.

“You can look at what (Sanders has) done for Jackson State and the short amount of time he’s been there,” Jackson said during an episode of Sports Seriously. He has the charisma. He has what it takes because Deion, like myself, we were coached old-school and that’s the way he’s coaching his players. You’re seeing the results.”

• Thanks 1