11/16/22 Auburn Articles

aubiefifty

Latest from Auburn: Coaching search, press conference highlights and more

Phillip Marshall
6–7 minutes

Monday scuttlebutt on Auburn’s search for a new head coach and highlights from press conferences with interim head football coach Cadillac Williams and head basketball coach Bruce Pearl .

Go inside for the latest look at Auburn's search for a head coach to replace Bryan Harsin, who was fired two weeks ago.

Also see what Williams and Pearl gad to say ahead of Tuesday's basketball game against Winthrop and Saturday's football game against Western Kentucky, along with quotes from football players Brandon Council and Marquis Burks.

FOOTBALL

COACHING SEARCH

Here is what I have heard today about Auburn’s coaching search. In this day of tight lips, nothing is really certain.

* I believe, for now, Lane Kiffin is the top target. Top target doesn’t mean the only one and doesn’t mean somebody else could not blow them away and change that.

* Calls are still being made to agents. Some interviews have either taken place or will as soon as coaches are available for interviews. Those things will continue until there is a firm agreement, whether with Kiffin or someone else.

* There is no timetable being put on any coach to make a decision and, as yet, no firm timetable for when Auburn will announce a decision.

* No final agreement has been reached with anybody.

* If Kiffin wants the job, he will want full control of football, much like Saban has. I don’t expect that to be an issue.

11387743.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 Is Lane Kiffin Auburn's top target? (Photo: © Matt Bush-USA TODAY Sports, USA TODAY Sports)

* AD John Cohen and deputy AD Rich McGlynn, who we reported almost two weeks ago would be conducting the search side-by-side with Cohen, are hard at work every day. It wasn’t exactly difficult to find out. I asked McGlynn if he would be working with Cohen on the search and he said “Yep.” Pretty easy.

* Anyone who says Cohen is being pressured to do anything is wrong. He will listen to other opinions, but other than President Chris Roberts, no one has any leverage to pressure him. These are different times in Auburn athletics. He won’t go to the Board of Trustees, hat in hand, to seek their blessing. He will make a decision and then inform them of what he has decided.

* Cohen moved to Auburn because he believes Auburn can win championships. He will hire the coach he believes has the best chance to make that happen, not the coach with the best chance to win the press conference.

FOOTBALL

WILLIAMS’ PRESS CONFERENCE

Here are highlights from Auburn interim coach Cadillac Williams’ Monday press conference:

On last Saturday’s atmosphere, moving on

“I am very appreciative of the Auburn family and the way they showed up Saturday night. Wow, what an atmosphere. Great win, but now it’s time to turn the page. We have a Western Kentucky team that’s pretty darn good.”

On Western Kentucky

“We’re going to have to come bring out A-game. So, once again, I’m calling on the Auburn family. Like I need help up here, we need help, so come pack the house out, and let’s have fun.”

On the shooting deaths of three Virginia players

“I met Coach (Tony) Elliott when I was at IMG. What a standup guy. I hurt for them and those families, The Auburn family definitely has them in our prayers.”

On Auburn’s offensive line

“As running backs, we get all the attention because we are carrying the ball. Those guys up front are moving people. They are fighting. They are together. They are straining out there, getting a hat on a hat.”

On watching Auburn’s defense

“I played running back, but my heart was always on defense. In high school, I loved to strike people. Understand that concept of 11 guys playing together, getting to the football, relentless, striking people. That creates so much momentum, so much confidence. And I sure have confidence in them.”

AUBURN PLAYERS

Highlights from Auburn players:

C Brandon Council on his injury

“I feel pretty good. I will be ready Saturday.”

10568668.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 Center Brandon Council says he will be ready to play against Western Kentucky. (Photo: Todd Van Emst / Auburn Athletics)

Council on the running game

“That’s what we are here to do. Anytime we have two running backs over 100 yards, that’s a win for the O--line, We are all on the same page and executing our assignments so the running backs can do their job.”

Council on atmosphere for win over Texas A&M

“That game was electric. It was insane. You’d have thought we were playing for an SEC championship. It was Auburn’s one-of-a-kind atmosphere. The fans really came out to support us as a team and Coach Cadillac. We really appreciate it.”

DT Marquis Burks on improving defensive line

“We definitely are getting better every day. We hit the sled every day. We are maintaining our fundamentals. I have seen our play elevate in the last few weeks.”

Burks on dealing with coaching staff changes

“These last two weeks have been a roller-coaster, ups and downs, mixed emotions everywhere. Really, we just all came together. We were like this is our last four weeks and we are going to make it our own.”

BASKETBALL

PEARL’S PRESS CONFERENCE

Here are some highlights from Bruce Pearl’s press conference a day before the Tigers play host to Winthrop.

On having to come from behind to beat USF

“We played hard, but we’re not finishing. Obviously, we missed a lot of shots – around the basket, from the free throw line and the 3-point line, which led to a lot of transition for South Florida.”

On game against Winthrop

“They are going to expose us, which is what you want. You want to be really challenged. They will force us to execute offensively and execute defensively. … It’s a good opponent.”

On games against underdog opponents

“Colorado beats Tennessee yesterday, Colorado lost at home to Grambling. It happens. It can absolutely happen, because these teams are good.”

'It just came full circle': Williams grateful for support from former teammates

Nathan King
5–6 minutes

AUBURN, Alabama — Cadillac Williams doesn’t rush his thoughts. He’s been a calculated speaker since taking over as Auburn’s interim head coach. He’ll pause before answers, ensuring a purposeful response.

And a question Monday afternoon prompted his longest pause yet: What was his favorite part of Saturday’s 13-10 win over Texas A&M?

Williams took several breaths, joking that it was a “loaded question.”

His final answer? Seeing all his former teammates there, supporting him before the game, in the locker room, and afterwards — a front-row seat to their former star running back’s first head-coaching win and a momentous day of relief and joy inside Jordan-Hare Stadium.

“I’m talking about a lot of good memories,” Williams said Monday. “Those were just replaying in my mind, so I honestly think that was the coolest thing, seeing the smiles on their face, like all them guys being in the locker room when I addressed the team, and then after the game having all those players in the locker room, like, it was — it was crazy to see.

“It just came full circle, so I mean, honestly, that was my favorite part about Saturday, to be honest with you.”

Names like Marcus McNeil, Carlos Rogers, Brandon Jacobs, Devin Aromoshadu, Dontarrious Thomas and others not only flocked to the Plains to watch Williams’ first home game as Auburn’s interim coach, but they were also in the locker room with the Tigers and flooded the sidelines during the game.

“I've never seen that many people in the locker room before,” fifth-year senior receiver Shedrick Jackson said. “It was a good scene, just seeing them come back and support us, supporting Cadillac. I think it made a difference, gave us energy, gave us a reason.”

And it wasn’t just Williams and his coaching staff delivering pregame messages.

“They were in there hyping us up before the game, too,” center Brandon Council said of Williams’ former teammates in the locker room. “They were ready. They were behind us 10 toes down, and it was exciting. Especially after the game with them coming up, congratulating you (and) introducing themselves. You can't beat it."

Williams paid tribute to how former coach Tommy Tuberville used to lead those teams into battle — by walking out of the tunnel arm-in-arm with his players.

Williams’ team, particularly on defense, played with the same tenacity and physicality as some of Auburn’s championship squads in the mid-2000s. Auburn held Texas A&M without a first down in the second half until 6:10 left, and the Aggies had only 5 yards of offense after halftime until their final drive of the game.

Williams ran for 3,831 career yards from 2001-04 at Auburn, and a program-record 45 touchdowns.

He has two Auburn-related group messages on his phone, filled with former teammates. After being named the interim coach a couple hours after Auburn parted ways with Bryan Harsin on Halloween, Williams said those groups have been on fire with texts — especially after the Mississippi State loss last weekend, when several of his former teammates had coaching advice to offer.

“‘Lac, you can’t do that,’” Williams laughed as he recalled from the group messages. “I’m going through the messages: ‘You got to kick the field goal; you ain’t playing no video games.’ You know, they have been very supportive, but everybody could be a coach coaching from the couch, and everybody can second-guess and do all that.”

Instead of reading 100s of texts Saturday night, Williams got to celebrate with his former teammates on Pat Dye Field.

A close second for Williams on Saturday was being given the game ball in the locker room by Auburn’s team captains. Williams, the NFL Rookie of the Year in 2005 and an All-American at Auburn, said he’s given away most of his awards throughout his career; they never held much value for him.

That game ball, though — from a surreal night for an Auburn icon — will stay in the Williams family forever.

“Now that I got kids and a family, that kind of changed — because my boys, they definitely think those things are really cool,” Williams said. “So, to keep a game ball and have it down in the basement, let the boys see that this was their first Tiger Walk that they walked in, that this was their first game where their daddy won. Yeah, I think I’m going to keep this one.”

The saga of Cadillac Williams moves from 'nice story' to 'legit contender'

Taylor Jones
~2 minutes

The turnaround that Auburn Football has experienced in two weeks under Cadillac Williams is unfathomable.

The interim head coach has appeared to have united a passionate fanbase, and has all but healed a broken roster full of talented athletes who just want to succeed on the field. Has Williams done enough to be considered a legitimate head coaching candidate? Many fans believe he has, as has one college football expert.

Buy Tigers Tickets

In a recent episode of “McElroy and Cubelic in the Morning” on Jox 94.5 in Birmingham, SEC Network’s Paul Finebaum says that Williams’ price has risen drastically in a short span.

“A week ago, I said it was a nice story but I didn’t think it would change anything. I think it has changed things now because you’re getting an opportunity to see what a coach’s impact is on players,” Finebaum said Monday. “I think, first of all, you have to determine, are we overreacting to the moment, because of the comatose level of excitement that Bryan Harsin brought? Yeah, probably. But that doesn’t matter if it’s real. Only the people on that campus can tell if it’s real.”

Williams sold himself well last Saturday, as he led the Tigers to its first win since Sept. 24, a span of six games. He did so in front of a sold-out crowd filled with energetic fans and former teammates. The performance was well-received. So much so, that several current players are calling for Auburn athletic director John Cohen to “remove the tag” from Williams’ title.

Williams has two more opportunities to “interview” for the head coaching job. His next chance will come Saturday when Auburn hosts Western Kentucky at Jordan-Hare Stadium.