Auburn O-Line Improvement

AuburnNTexas

Over last few games we are finally starting to see some aggressive run blocking part of that is because Wright is starting ( I wonder why that took so long) also Coffee has looked good at RT. Coffee has quick feet and  does a good job sealing the outside. Zierer has improved and I wish he had one more year of eligibility.  Keondre Jones looked good on some plays. Maybe with Wright and Jones we will have two solid guards for next years team.  We also got solid blocking From TE's Deal, Fromm, and Frazier. 

Since our QB is not a passing threat I have to give Coach Friend who I have not always thought was very good a lot of credit.  The different ways he ran the ball when A&M knew we were going to run was a brilliant game plan. He actually designed out attack around our strengths and  tried his best to hide our weakness in the passing attack.  He called two play that were brilliant in the passing game one on the TD wheel route where he lined up Johnson as  TE and ran a wheel route and the other was the wide open wheel Route to Hunter that was an easy throw and should have been a TD but Ashford overthrew it. He got players wide open for easy passes.   

With proper play calling I am seeing better O-Line blocking maybe some of the bad blocking earlier was because Friend was not given full rein on who played and how they played which seems to be what Caddy has allowed. Also Schmeding seems to be calling a better game plan then previously. I wonder how much he was limited by his head coach.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Over last few games we are finally starting to see some aggressive run blocking part of that is because Wright is starting ( I wonder why that took so long) also Coffee has looked good at RT. Coffee has quick feet and  does a good job sealing the outside. Zierer has improved and I wish he had one more year of eligibility.  Keondre Jones looked good on some plays. Maybe with Wright and Jones we will have two solid guards for next years team.  We also got solid blocking From TE's Deal, Fromm, and Frazier. 

Since our QB is not a passing threat I have to give Coach Friend who I have not always thought was very good a lot of credit.  The different ways he ran the ball when A&M knew we were going to run was a brilliant game plan. He actually designed out attack around our strengths and  tried his best to hide our weakness in the passing attack.  He called two play that were brilliant in the passing game one on the TD wheel route where he lined up Johnson as  TE and ran a wheel route and the other was the wide open wheel Route to Hunter that was an easy throw and should have been a TD but Ashford overthrew it. He got players wide open for easy passes.   

With proper play calling I am seeing better O-Line blocking maybe some of the bad blocking earlier was because Friend was not given full rein on who played and how they played which seems to be what Caddy has allowed. Also Schmeding seems to be calling a better game plan then previously. I wonder how much he was limited by his head coach.

Probably need to give CO-OC Hilliard credit also.

• Like 5

The fact that we are still able to run with zero passing attack shows the game plan has improved and the blocking has improved. Everyone knows that we cannot pass the ball, yet we find ways to run the ball, whether it is with the running backs, wide, receivers, or the quarterback.

3 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Probably need to give CO-OC Hilliard credit also.

You are 100% correct I should have mentioned him also.

they probably are getting better but sometimes I wonder.  there was one play in particular Sat nite that befuddles me.  late in the game 3rd and 2 inside the 10. Everybody in the stadium knows it's a run.

Now, with all the Srs on the O line, you think they would have some leeway  to "audible" out of the planned assignments? Maybe that's just not done. I don't know. Somebody up there should have seen the 7 D linemen chomping at the bit and realized that it's 7 on 7 and made the call for everybody to put a hat on the guy in front of you and don't worry about releasing to the LBs , pulling guards, and the double teams.  If you get beat one on one, so be it. (looking at you Center) but DON't give them a free run into the backfield.

The O Line got better as soon as Wright and Coffey were inserted. I had no idea Wright would be as good as he has been but I knew Brenden was a better option than Troxell. Troxell was just to slow and had no punch. 

We just need more meanness like what we are seeing from Jeremiah Wright.  I will happily live with the two penalties he has caused due to him having the desire to finish the play and drill his guy into the ground.

• Like 1