11/11/22 Auburn Articles

aubiefifty

Cadillac Williams discusses emotions ahead of first home game as Auburn interim head coach

Bryce Lazenby
2-3 minutes

Cadillac Williams, during an appearance on the “Tiger Talk” radio show on Thursday, discussed his feelings ahead of his 1st home game as Auburn’s interim head coach.

Williams was named interim head coach after Bryan Harsin was fired on October 31. In his 1st game in charge, Williams’ Tigers took a tough Mississippi State into OT before ultimately losing 39-33.

In Week 11, the Tigers return home for a matchup with SEC West foe Texas A&M.

“My mind won’t even let me process it right now,” Williams said. “Lord have mercy, that is going to be special, very special with a lot of my former teammates there.”

Williams mentioned that 25-30 former teammates will be in attendance to cheer on the Tigers. The game is sold out, showing that Auburn faithful are still supporting the team in a down year.

With a win, Williams would improve to 1-1 as head coach and the Tigers would get their 2nd SEC win of 2022.

• Thanks 1

Rewinding: Tiger Talk with Cadillac Williams

Updated: Nov. 10, 2022, 7:15 p.m.|Published: Nov. 10, 2022, 6:05 p.m.
2-3 minutes

Carnell Williams makes his first public appearance on the weekly Tiger Talk coaches shows on Thursday in Auburn at Victory Grille. Williams was on the show last week, but it was in the studio as the team built up to the eventual loss against Mississippi State.

A large crowd is gathered for Williams’ appearance with hosts Brad Law and Andy Burcham as the trio previews Auburn’s game on Saturday (6:30 p.m. CT) against Texas A&M at Jordan-Hare. The Tigers expect a sold-out crowd for Williams’ first home game as interim head coach.

Let’s get into the live updates:

-- Williams got a standing ovation from the packed crowd when he walked into the restaurant.

-- Williams says he’s humbled and is grateful for the love he’s received since becoming interim coach last Monday after Harsin got fired.

-- Williams said the coaching staff gave the team a day off on Sunday, and it helped the coaching staff catch up with game-planning for the Aggies.

-- Williams said last week was extremely stressful but feels more relaxed this week since the team has more opportunity to prepare.

-- Williams said he had over 30,000 steps after the Mississippi State game. He also included his workout on the elliptical pregame.

-- Williams said the defense turned up the intensity against Mississippi State. He hopes the effort continues for four quarters against Texas A&M.

-- Williams says nearly 30 former teammates will be present for the game this weekend.

-- Williams says he’s excited about the game and is embracing the emotions.

-- Williams is excited to see how his defense will play against the Aggies.

-- Williams discussed naming Jonathan LeGrand as a captain for the game, with Veterans Day being celebrated this weekend. LeGrand played high school football and baseball in Dothan before joining the Marines. He also plays on Auburn’s club rugby team.

If you purchase a product or register for an account through one of the links on our site, we may receive compensation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Watch 5 Auburn players get Senior Bowl invites

Published: Nov. 10, 2022, 8:01 p.m.
2 minutes

Football: Auburn vs Georgia

Oct 9, 2021; Auburn, AL, USA; Eku Leota (55) reacts after a sack between Auburn and Georgia at Jordan-Hare Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Todd Van Emst/AU AthleticsTodd Van Emst/AU Athletics

Derick Hall, Eku Leota, Owen Pappoe, Nehemiah Pritchett, and Mobile native DJ James received their invites to the 2023 Reese’s Senior Bowl on Thursday with a special touch.

Hall, Leota, Pappoe, Pritchett, and James got their invites from interim head coach Cadillac Williams, who played in the 2005 post-season all-star, regarded as the start of the NFL Draft process presented the players with their invites with a shower of Reese’s cups.

Hall and Pappoe are two of Auburn’s three team captains. Hall grew up about an hour from Mobile in Gulfport Ms and had 6.5 sacks, forced two fumbles, and picked off a pass this season. Pappoe has 71 tackles, 1.5 sacks, and forced two fumbles.

Read More Auburn Football: Auburn walk-on long snapper Jacob Quattlebaum honored by Burlsworth nomination

Jordan-Hare Stadium set to “go crazy” in Cadillac Williams’ first home game as interim coach

Mississippi State is in John Cohen’s DNA, but “a whole lot of wow” drew him to Auburn as AD

Leota is out with a season-ending torn pec. He posted 17 tackles and two sacks in five games.

Pritchett has 28 tackles and James has 18 on the season.

Auburn (3-6, 1-5 SEC) hosts Texas A & M on Saturday (6:30 pm CT SEC Network) at Jordan-Hare with both teams seeking to end five-game losing streaks.

Nubyjas Wilborn covers Auburn for Alabama Media Group.

If you purchase a product or register for an account through one of the links on our site, we may receive compensation.

Auburn's Cadillac on what this has meant to him: 'makes me want to sell out even more for this university'

Jason Caldwell
4-5 minutes

AUBURN, Alabama—As the Voice of the Auburn Tigers, Andy Burcham has done hundreds of broadcasts of different sports and hosted Tiger Talk countless times. On Thursday night at Baumhower’s Victory Grille, Burcham said he saw something he’s never seen before.

Heading into his second game as Auburn’s interim head coach after taking over for Bryan Harsin last week, former standout running back Cadillac Williams walked through the front door of the restaurant along with Derick Hall and Robby Ashford. They were greeted by a very loud standing ovation, something that Burcham said was amazing to see.

“I have never seen a standing ovation for any head coach of any sport walking through the door coming in to Tiger Talk like we saw with Carnell tonight and Derick Hall and Robby Ashford,” Burcham said. “It’s indicative how this Auburn family has rallied around Cadillac, his coaching staff, and this team.”

A player that was a first round draft choice by the Tampa Bay Bucs after playing on Auburn’s undefeated season, Williams was named the NFL’s Offensive Rookie of the Year for 2005 and has had his share of big moments. None of those prepared Williams for what he walked into on Thursday night, however.

“I’m so honored and blessed to be part of the Auburn family,” Williams told Auburn247. “To see people show up in this pouring rain and to have a packed house and to see these people cheering for the players and the Auburn family, it’s just special. It just gives me so much strength while I’m doing this and makes me want to sell out even more for this university.”

Veterans of Tiger Talk and fixtures when the broadcast is on location, Sandy and Sally Heely knew something was going to be different for Thursday’s edition. The expectation was exceeded by the reality of the situation.

“I have been here since they started and I graduated in 1968,” Sandy said. “I have been a GAF giver and hold season tickets. Tonight is a big night.

“It was magic. When we saw Caddy walk in, he represented about as much as he could of an Auburn man. He’s not Pat Dye, but he’s right there with him. He is the Auburn man. He brings the excitement we haven’t seen for years and years and years.”

As the owner of Baumhowers for the last four years, Auburn native and graduate Kevin Tudhope said he's seen the program and university from close range for his now 50 years. What he saw Thursday night and has seen the last week is exactly what he thinks about when the term 'Auburn family' is used.

"I have seen the good and bad times over those years," Tudhope said of his life. "But what I saw tonight was special. I have never seen the alumni, this town, and this fan base rally around each other like they did tonight. We honestly haven't seen crowds like that for Tiger Talk in years. It was refreshing. It was exciting. It's what the Auburn family is all about."

7COMMENTS

With Auburn putting the finishing touches on the plan for Saturday night’s game against Texas A&M, Thursday night’s excitement points to what should be a wild atmosphere at Jordan-Hare Stadium. While this game might not have championship implications, it has become a very big game for Auburn and Burcham said he can’t wait.

“You wouldn’t expect that for two 3-6 teams, but considering what has happened on the Auburn campus, who is the head coach, the way the Auburn family has reacted to that, and the fact that it’s going to be fabulous weather and a night game at Jordan-Hare Stadium. All of those go into what should be a phenomenal atmosphere for football. I cannot wait to call the game.”

">247Sports
Edited by aubiefifty
  • Thanks 1

Caddy will roll into Jordan-Hare with former teammates by his side for support

Mark Murphy
4-6 minutes

AUBURN, Alabama–When Carnell "Cadillac" Williams gives his pre-game talk on Saturday night and leads the Auburn football team onto to the field, he will have a large group of his former teammates by his side for support.

Williams, an All-American running back for the Tigers, is in his second week in charge of the team as its interim head coach. Auburn fans were so impressed with the effort the Tigers gave in last week’s overtime loss at Mississippi State they bought all of the remaining tickets for Saturday night’s home game to support Williams.

“Lord, have mercy,” Williams said at Victory Grill in Auburn where he was a guest on the Tiger Talk radio show on Thursday night when asked about what the experience will be like for him on Saturday night. He received a standing ovation from everyone in the packed restaurant when he came into building.

“It is going to be special, very special,” he said of the opportunity to lead the Tigers on to the field to take on Texas A&M at Jordan-Hare Stadium where he made so many great plays as a running back.

“I will have a lot of former teammates, up to 25 to 30 guys there,” said Williams, a star on Auburn’s unbeaten 2004 squad. “When I address the team those guys are going to be in the locker room and our team is going to be there to see those guys. They were trailblazers that kind of built this place that know what that ‘work, hard work’ is about.

“A lot of Auburn football is through blood sweat and tears, and that comes from guys before myself," Williams added.

The fact that there is sellout to see to a pair of 3-6 teams tied for last place in the SEC West, with both on five-game losing streaks, is a direct result of how Williams has handled his job since being named interim head coach after Bryan Harsin was fired on Monday, November 7th following a fourth consecutive loss for the team.

“I am going try not to get emotional...but wow,” he said on what he believes it will feel like entering the field on Saturday night. “I have been trying to go there, but my mind won’t even let me process it right now and really even think about it.”

What he has been thinking about all week is a Texas A&M team that began the season ranked in the Top 10. “I have got a lot of respect for Coach Jimbo Fisher and the rest of those guys on that staff,” Williams said. “They are a talented bunch, especially defensively, they are really big and physical up front. The secondary guys are very long, the linebackers can run. They play good football.

“Offensively, of course, Jimbo runs that pro style offense,” Williams pointed out. “They are very big up front and young. They want to run the football and have got dynamic play-makers. They have had quarterbacks in and out so I am not sure who is going to be the starter there.”

Williams noted that A&M’s star junior running back will be a challenge for the Tigers to contain. “Devon Achane is a phenomenal all-purpose back who can do it all,” the coach said. “He is a dangerous, fast back who can take it distance.”

Williams noted that it will be important to get as many players on defense around the ball when Achane is handling it as a runner or receiver. He also said that he liked the effort the Auburn defense produced vs. Mississippi State after being challenged by the coaching staff in preparations for that game. “We want to see them be relentless, fly to the football, play that hard-nosed Auburn defense,” the coach said.

The Tigers gave up a touchdown on a kickoff return last Saturday night so that will be an area of this week’s game to watch. “On special teams they play fast, they play relentless and they have some dangerous returners so we are definitely going to have to play our A-game to pull off this victory,” Williams said.

23COMMENTS

“It is going to be a challenge for us, but our team is looking forward to being in front of that crowd,” the interim head coach added. “Like I told the players, we are going to have that Auburn spirit and we are going to have these fans in Jordan-Hare for the best atmosphere and stadium in college football. I just feel like magic is going to happen on Saturday night and I am looking forward to it.”

*** Subscribe: Receive the latest Auburn intel, opinion and scoops***

">247Sports
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Joseph Goodman: With Lane Kiffin, the joke is always on Alabama

Published: Nov. 11, 2022, 6:49 a.m.
6-7 minutes

Lane Kiffin is turning into the greatest showman in college football, and one of his best bits is needling Alabama with kindness.

As opposed to, say, Hall of Fame Auburn coach Pat Dye, who enjoyed sticking it to Alabama with a sword.

No.9 Alabama (7-2, 4-2 in the SEC) plays No.11 Ole Miss (8-1, 4-1 in the SEC) this week in Oxford, and so Kiffin is having fun again with Saban and the Crimson Tide. Kiffin’s most recent form of bookish humor is no doubt appreciated by everyone in college football except the team that began the season ranked No.1 in the country and has lost a pair of heartbreakers.

That’d be Alabama.

Earlier in the week, Kiffin took a picture of the best-selling book by my colleague and AL.com sports editor John Talty and posted it to social media. Talk about an unexpected gift for Talty’s book sales. The title of the book is “The leadership secrets of Nick Saban: How Alabama’s coach became the best ever.”

“Well-written,” Kiffin said about the book when asked on Wednesday.

For the oh-so-serious world of the SEC, it was pure comedy gold.

Yes, Kiffin probably knows a secret or two.

RELATED: Saban backs coordinators

RELATED: Jordan-Hare set to ‘Go Crazy’ for Cadillac

GOODMAN: Give Cadillac a chance to win the job

JOE VS THE PRO AND THE HERO: Week 11 picks

Kiffin worked with Saban as Alabama’s offensive coordinator from 2014 to 2016, and those three seasons rejuvenated his career after being fired at USC. It also extended Saban’s dynasty, but Kiffin doesn’t get enough credit for that. Saban then famously fired Kiffin before the 2017 national championship game against Clemson. Kiffin had been hired by FAU, and Saban said Kiffin had become too distracted. Steve Sarkisian took over the offense on short notice and Alabama, with freshman Jalen Hurts at quarterback, lost to Clemson 35-31 on the last play of the game.

Coincidentally, both of Alabama’s losses this season also came on the final plays of games. First there was the stunner at Tennessee, and then last week LSU, in a legendary call by first-year Tigers’ coach Brian Kelly, went for two in overtime to upset mighty Alabama.

And so now questions are here about the crumbling of Saban’s dynasty with Kiffin wielding a book about Saban like sledgehammer. Saban himself has joked in the past that if he ever lost three games in a season, then that might be the thing that forces him unwillingly into retirement.

Hmm. Yeah, Alabama has high standards, but something tells me Saban could lose to Ole Miss and Auburn to finish the season and still have a job if he wanted it.

Nothing happens in a vacuum in the SEC West, and so the fact that Kiffin is being suggested as a candidate for Auburn’s open football coaching position adds to the intrigue of this weekend’s game. I’ll be in the press box at Vaught-Hemingway Stadium, and like everyone back in Alabama I’ll be observing things through a filtered lens that wants to know if Kiffin could turn Auburn into a college football super power if given the chance.

Is Kiffin even interested in leaving Ole Miss for Auburn? He’ll never say. They never do, but Auburn is, on paper, a better gig than Ole Miss. Even Tommy Tuberville knows that.

There might be more pressure at Auburn than Ole Miss, but there are also more resources to win a national championship.

Auburn’s new director of athletics, John Cohen, is putting together a list of candidates to replace fired football coach Bryan Harisn. Kiffin should be at the top of that list. In the meantime, he’s having fun enriching the SEC with his knack for self promotion. Sometimes that backfires spectacularly in his face, of course, which only makes him more interesting.

I like that Kiffin can laugh at himself, though. Drama has surrounded him throughout his entire career, but he has now learned how to embrace it. I wouldn’t say that makes him endearing, but it’s certainly a life skill that would help him at Auburn.

Football coaches operate in this paradoxical alternate reality that doesn’t allow for them to be in on the joke. Kiffin is in on the joke.

“Get your popcorn ready,” Kiffin said last year on national television moments before his Ole Miss football team was kerneled 42-21 by Alabama. When Alabama fans sent Kiffin a bunch of popcorn after the game, Kiffin used it for a funny post to social media. As the entertainment business goes, football considers itself serious stuff. If there is no crying in baseball, then there is no laughing in football.

Kiffin laughs loudest of all either with Alabama or at Alabama. It’s hard to interpret which one it is sometimes, but know this. With Kiffin at Auburn, the Iron Bowl would be like the Super Bowl of the South.

Does Kiffin need to actually defeat Alabama in a game as a prerequisite for coaching at Auburn? It wouldn’t hurt. Cohen, who was the AD at Mississippi State before taking over the same position at Auburn this week, is no stranger to Kiffin’s abilities as a coach and an entertainer. Cohen said he wants a coach who’s a good “fit” for Auburn. No one is confusing Kiffin for the second coming of Pat Dye, but these are different times. Kiffin’s play-calling and ability as a recruiter gives him value in a changing landscape for the SEC that will soon include Oklahoma, Texas, a new conference schedule and an expanded playoff.

Wouldn’t want to be the team matched up against Kiffin and Auburn in a playoff with one week to prepare.

Kiffin is a squiggle of crayon in a world of regimented lines. He’s Bill Murray in “Stripes,” a movie about a comedian who joins the military. In this analogy, Alabama’s Saban isn’t just an officer in the Army. Saban is the U.S. Army, and Kiffin is the merry prankster who knows the inner workings of all the secret weapons.

Joseph Goodman is a columnist for the Alabama Media Group, and author of “We Want Bama: A season of hope and the making of Nick Saban’s ‘ultimate team’”. You can find him on Twitter @JoeGoodmanJr.

Making the case: Why Hugh Freeze should be Auburn football's next head coach

Lance Dawe
4-5 minutes

Our third installment of the "making the case" series drops here as we continue along to a name that has had a rollercoaster of a career: Hugh Freeze.

Freeze was a name that started picking up some steam before the Auburn coaching job even came open a couple of weeks ago. As time has rolled on, Freeze has made his way near the top of most hot boards, candidates lists, etc.

Here's why Freeze fits, what he's accomplished as a coach so far, and why the Tigers should give him a look.

The Fit

Right off the bat, the thought of this hire just feels... different.

Doesn't this seem like an extremely "Auburn" type of hire?

As far as personality goes, Freeze may be the best option Auburn has on the board right now outside of Dan Lanning. On top of personality, Freeze has SEC experience - something Auburn values. He's currently piloting a Liberty program that is five years removed from jumping to the FBS level. He's had surprising success, and currently has the Flames inside the AP Top 25. 

“I don’t know that Auburn wants me. I have no clue,” Freeze said in a postgame press conference after going on the road and beating Arkansas last weekend. “I know this: I have won everywhere I’ve been and my staff and kids have turned programs fast. It’s our culture that we instill. I know we do that and the proof is in the pudding.” The baggage that comes with Freeze may be enough to make the people at the top want to walk away, but he checks the other boxes: Recruiter, winner, personality fit.

The Resume

Record at Liberty: 34-12

Overall Record: 75-44

Head coaching experience: Lambuth, Arkansas State, Ole Miss, Liberty

Other experience: Ole Miss (TE), Arkansas State (OC)

Freeze has well documented baggage that comes with him wherever he goes. However, that has not stopped many from pointing out that he has won everywhere he has coached, and currently has the Flames (a program that has only been at the D-I level for four and a half seasons) inside the AP Top 25. He is also one of three college coaches to have ever beaten Nick Saban in back-to-back years (Ole Miss, 2014-15). He just traveled to Arkansas and beat the Razorbacks with his third-string quarterback.

According to several past reports, Freeze wanted the job a while back and still wants it now - even though he signed an extension with Liberty just a week ago, Freeze would be willing to come to Auburn if they came knocking.

I mean, just look at his postgame comments after winning against Arkansas. That should tell you enough.

He's a solid option that does not possess the same "splash hire" vibes that Lane Kiffin and Deion Sanders do.

My Thoughts

Right now I think Hugh Freeze is the second or third best option Auburn has. There's a lot of pushback as to whether or not Freeze should make a move back to the SEC (and whether or not its even a possibility), but based on his recent comments, it appears as though Freeze would be willing to do so if Auburn came knocking.

I'm not sure if they will.

If they do, it will be interesting to see the fanbase reaction form following.

He's a good recruiter that can win. If he puts together the right staff, Auburn would be back to winning at a decent clip.

Auburn football: Carnell Williams continues to show signs of great leadership

Zac Blackerby
2 minutes

Auburn Interim Head Coach Carnell Williams held a zoom call with player parents Wednesday night. Here are a few takeaways. 

A parent that I spoke to thought the world of coach Williams. Described listening to him was like "being in church." The call took about an hour and a sizable chunk of the call was devoted to Williams apologizing to the parents for the previous administration that he was a part of for not holding kids accountable academically. 

Williams informed the parents that several players were missing class but he promised that focus changed as soon as he took over as interim head coach. This news surprised several parents. A parent that I spoke to called their son after the meeting and it sounds like it was widely known across the team that they could get away with missing class and not focusing on school. The player noted that there has been more accountability in the short time since the change has been made. 

Williams spent time talking about how blessed he was to be in this situation and that he loves Auburn and that it is an honor to get to lead their sons for the rest of the season. He noted that he never thought he'd be in the situation he's in but he is excited to serve the Auburn family. 

• Thanks 1

Auburn AD faces 'critical decision' for new football coach

play

Nov 8, 2022

AUBURN, Ala. -- John Cohen carries around a sheet of paper with a list 58 items long mostly comprising qualities he wants in an Auburn football coach and things to ask them.

There's no question regarding the No. 1 priority for Auburn's new athletic director: Finding a new football coach to replace Bryan Harsin, ousted hours before Cohen's own hiring was announced. And finding someone who fits better than Harsin, an outside-the-box hire from Boise State who won only nine of his 21 games and didn't survive to the end of his second season.

ADVERTISEMENT

"It obviously dominates my time, which it should," Cohen said Tuesday at his introductory news conference. "The football head coaching position at Auburn University is a critical decision and we take it with the utmost seriousness.

Editor's Picks

CFB coaching carousel: Latest buzz, top candidates and best jobs

2dAdam Rittenberg

Eight-figure buyouts, the transfer portal and midseason CFB coach firings

11dESPN

Auburn starting RT Troxell (knee) out for season

4d

"There will not be anything we don't look at. Everything is on the table every day. I'm not going into dates and times and the process and when the finish line is going to be. We'll get there when we get there and we're going to make the right decision for this great institution."

Some of the potential candidates for the job include No. 11 Mississippi's Lane Kiffin, No. 19 Liberty's Hugh Freeze and Jackson State's Deion Sanders.

Interim coach Carnell Williams, set to lead the Tigers for the second time Saturday night against Texas A&M, was in attendance. The popular former Auburn player said Monday he had only briefly met Cohen and demurred when asked if he wanted to be considered a candidate.

"I can't think beyond this moment," Williams said Monday. "I want to sit in this moment and live in this moment because I never could've dreamed of anything like this. I can't answer that question. This isn't about me."

Auburn has lost five straight games, and recruiting struggles under Harsin could make for an uphill battle in the Southeastern Conference, which has five teams currently ranked among the top 11.

Cohen was in his seventh year as Mississippi State's athletic director. He hired Joe Moorhead, who was fired after going 14-12 in two seasons, and current coach Mike Leach.

"It's about fit. And there's not an exact science," Cohen said. "There's analytics. There's a little bit of gut feel. There's a lot of factors. I could read you off this list, a lot of this is commonsensical, a lot of this is really important to me as I've been through the hiring process several times."

Cohen said he will make the final hiring decision but won't turn down input from others. Auburn will use a search firm to help with logistics and background checks, but not to provide names of potential candidates.

"The 35-year-old version of myself would have stuck my chest out and said, 'This is how it's going to be,'" he said. "The 56-year old version of John Cohen says, 'I want all the information that is available to me from anyone I can possibly get it from at Auburn and beyond.'"

12 minutes ago, maryland tiger said:

Would it be possible for Eku Leota to play in the Senior Bowl and still return to Auburn next season? 

i do not think so as they are paid. i doubt the NIL makes any difference but someone else might be better versed on it.