A look at Rotations and Production

JwgreDeux

After reading several posts questioning the production and playing time of various players and after reflecting on some of my own posts on this topic, I thought I would take a deeper look. Last season here is the production we got from our position groups: 

Pos: Points, rebs, tos, ast, stl, blk

1/2: 29; 8.75; 5.25; 8.5; 4.4; 0.5

3:  12.5; 5; 3.5; 2.25; 1.25; 0.5

4/5: 36; 22; 4; 4.5; 2.75; 7.75

While the above simplified production numbers for last year's team is not a model of success per se, that team did win the league, achieve a #1 ranking, make the NCAA as a 2 seed and advance to the second round. So looking at what the position groupings need to do, and what happened in game 1 (I know its a small sample size).

Guards: 31; 11; 5; 8; 6; 0 - pretty on par with last year's production numbers, biggest difference is more rebounds in part due to Donaldson's 3.

Wing: 11; 5; 1; 0; 3; 1 - pretty on par with last year's production points down slightly as well as assists. 

Post: 27; 25; 3; 4; 5; 9 -most on par with last year's production, point down noticeably. 

Obviously this is just one game and some oversimplified stats, but I think it gives us a bit of context in the production we need from various positions and players. At guard I would expect last years numbers to look similar with our current group (while Westry is out). If Zep plays more aggressive at the 2 offensively I would actually expect our offensive numbers to go up in several categories. Donaldson's addition looks to improve our guard rebounding and potentially assist/TO numbers as he has look solid with the ball in his hands in the limited exposure we have so far. 

On the wing, I expect less production in the scoring categories by design. We don't have any shooters at the 3 and we didn't last year either. I expect fewer 3s to be shot by this group and more slashing, rebounding to produce points. In game one, only 3 attempts from outside. Last years average attempts per game from 3 at the wing spot was nearly 5. I think Flan and Moore are well suited for this role. 

At the post, I expect the scoring to continue but be spread out over more guys. This is our best position group again this season. 

The blueprint is the same as last season. It is a great blueprint that I think this group can execute. The question is can we be more efficient and how does Westry change the mix at various groups. Will he play more 2 or 3? Time will tell. 

• Like 1