Dan Lanning

homersapien

11 hours ago, roe4christ said:

Well, I think that officially takes Lanning off the table.  Not too disappointed, myself.  Never considered it plausable anyway.  I had him at #5 on my list.

No it doesn’t. Tuberville was going to have to be carried out of Oxford in a pine box. Remember how that one turned out?

Also, Lanning wouldn’t even be lying. His statement said, the last thing he wants to do is leave Oregon. If he accepts the Auburn job, it would be the last thing he does as Oregon’s coach. 

Edited by ScotsAU

Lanning is not going to be the coach at Auburn.  Neither is Urban Meyer or  Bob Stoops or Nick Saban.  I don’t care what your friend said who has a friend who is Yella Fella’s second cousin twice removed.  It won’t be anyone far fetched.   Cohen and Roberts will make the decision and the coach will very likely come from the list of names you see being floated around.  Likely Freeze, Kiffin, Sanders or Grimes.  

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

No it doesn’t. Tuberville was going to have to be carried out of Oxford in a pine box. Remember how that one turned out?

Also, Lanning wouldn’t even be lying. His statement said, the last thing he wants to do is leave Oregon. If he accepts the Auburn job, it would be the last thing he does as Oregon’s coach. 

Timing is just not right for Lanning, he is hitched to Oregon for awhile, IMO

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, weagl1 said:

Lanning is not going to be the coach at Auburn.  Neither is Urban Meyer or  Bob Stoops or Nick Saban.  I don’t care what your friend said who has a friend who is Yella Fella’s second cousin twice removed.  It won’t be anyone far fetched.   Cohen and Roberts will make the decision and the coach will very likely come from the list of names you see being floated around.  Likely Freeze, Kiffin, Sanders or Grimes.  

Grimes? Is he still a serious candidate based on what’s out there? Does he have a connection with Cohen?

5 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Grimes? Is he still a serious candidate based on what’s out there? Does he have a connection with Cohen?

What do you mean “based on whats out there”?

10 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

If not Lanning, then what about trying to steal Todd Monken away? Would he be a good candidate?

I think if we fall down to coordinators, Grimes makes more sense as he checks more boxes, IMO

Edited by Hank2020
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

If not Lanning, then what about trying to steal Todd Monken away? Would he be a good candidate?

Compared to the list of people available, no. 

• Like 1

The more I read about Lanning, the more I like him. Unfortunately, he still doesn’t have enough head coaching experience for me. My dream scenario would be to hit a grand slam with the Deion hire and make Auburn a national powerhouse and a destination for recruits and coaches. Then, when Prime moves on in the next 5-10 years, hire Lanning when he wants to come back and compete against the big boys in the SEC.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

Timing is just not right for Lanning, he is hitched to Oregon for awhile, IMO

I don’t disagree. But him saying he isn’t leaving doesn’t mean anything. 

• Like 1

On 11/7/2022 at 2:44 PM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Hugh is pretty morally decrepit, and I’m pretty sure at a high profile job like this, he’d be a PR nightmare before long. Auburn is the last job that needs additional media negativity. Not to mention I don’t think his recruiting is anything massively impressive (excelled at OM back before everyone could recklessly pay recruits openly) and you can get offensive gurus plenty of places

I also just don’t think excelling in the SEC 6 years automatically equates to excelling in it now. The year where OM hit their peak (2015) was arguably the worst SEC in the last 12 years. He may not be a top half coach in this division, much less the conference, and that’s even if you do over-value his OM experience. 

I've never really been a big Hugh Freeze to Auburn guy just because I don't think Auburn would ultimately pull the trigger on a deal with him. 

I will say that one thing he did have that Kiffin doesn't is a defense. Remember The Land Shark Defense he had and the media wouldn't stop talking about? He had a really good offense and defense going but we know how he was getting them too. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

His statement seemed pretty definitive. Not just a passing open-ended comment…

Again… “They'll have to carry me out of here in a pine box” is pretty definitive as well. He still came to Auburn. Not saying it will happen. But coaches are never leaving their program until they are. 

• Like 2

On 11/8/2022 at 11:23 PM, PoetTiger said:

Other candidates like Deion, Lane, Rhule, Freeze, Bob Stoops, and others

The Coastal Carolina coach!

• Like 1

On 11/9/2022 at 11:49 AM, AU_Tiger_88 said:

Leaving this here...

Thanks for this. I am perfectly fine not getting Lanning. At this point, I agree with Pate, I don’t think we hire anyone until after the Bama game. I’m good seeing what Caddy can do to keep this team together and a win vs TAMU would be perfect. I don’t expect it, but with a decent game plan and some fundamental play, ie. tackling, blocking , kicking and catching, we have a shot. 

On 11/8/2022 at 11:04 PM, TeamZero77 said:

He had a really good offense and defense going but we know how he was getting them too. 

Nothing everyone else wasn’t doing, and now its all legal.  Imagine the players he could get to AU with the NIL we have going.  

On 11/8/2022 at 9:47 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

His statement seemed pretty definitive. Not just a passing open-ended comment…

What coach has ever said a not definitive statement before leaving for another job, aside from Hugh Freeze practically begging Auburn to hire him from Liberty? 

“I WILL NOT BE THE COACH AT ALABAMA” ring familiar? 

• Like 1

Oregon has a lot of appeal as a football job. But the PAC12 is a mess. Not great football, Limited exposure due to the Pacific time zone, half empty stadiums or worse, and fan bases that have a lot else to do other than follow college football. Throw in the proposed realignment with the Big 10 and flying back-and-forth across country on a regular  basis. Yuck. 

15 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Oregon has a lot of appeal as a football job. But the PAC12 is a mess. Not great football, Limited exposure due to the Pacific time zone, half empty stadiums or worse, and fan bases that have a lot else to do other than follow college football. Throw in the proposed realignment with the Big 10 and flying back-and-forth across country on a regular  basis. Yuck. 

They should lobby to join the Big 12 and take ASU and Utah with them. They would get Texas and Arizona recruiting. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Old fan 47 said:

Thanks for this. I am perfectly fine not getting Lanning. At this point, I agree with Pate, I don’t think we hire anyone until after the Bama game. I’m good seeing what Caddy can do to keep this team together and a win vs TAMU would be perfect. I don’t expect it, but with a decent game plan and some fundamental play, ie. tackling, blocking , kicking and catching, we have a shot. 

And the enthusiasm that Cadillac has brought to the team and program! He rushed for over a 1,000 yards during the MSU game going up and down the sidelines. Enthusiasm and passion are catching!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, PUB78 said:

And the enthusiasm that Cadillac has brought to the team and program! He rushed for over a 1,000 yards during the MSU game going up and down the sidelines. Enthusiasm and passion are catching!

Completely agree. He’s a special AU legend. Hell, all the coaches were running up and down the sidelines. That was the best plays of the year. BH, just was not the right fit for the South. Now, we have no choice but to recruit every player we can. Luckily, the portal will hopefully come into play. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AEAugirl said:

Nothing everyone else wasn’t doing, and now its all legal.  Imagine the players he could get to AU with the NIL we have going.  

Oh for sure. If you aren't cheating then you're getting beat by a team that is. He just happened to be the unlucky one to get caught. It really shocks me that he doesn't have a P5 job yet. His name is mentioned in every coaching search the past few years, just like Kiffin. 

I know fans seem to think Freeze is just a Gus Malzahn 2.0 but I disagree. Hugh develops quarterbacks. He won with Bo Wallace, Chad Kelly, Malik Willis among others. We always heard that Gus's offense can be a juggernaut to defend but he has to have the perfect type QB to run it. Cam Newton, Nick Marshall, currently Plumlee at UCF. Well, Hugh runs a similar offense to Gus but Hugh always seems to have that "perfect" QB to make his offense excell. It's because he can develop them and he also isn't stuck in his ways of thinking like Gus. Hugh changes his offense to fit the players strengths and that's a good ball coach. Gus always seemed to try to fit a square peg into a round hole and when it wouldn't fit, he would continue beating it until there was nothing left. (2017 versus LSU, 17 straight runs off tackle on 1st down until we blew a 3 touchdown lead in Baton Rouge) I guarantee ya that Hugh Freeze wouldn't do that.