11/4/22 Auburn Articles

aubiefifty

saturdaydownsouth.com

Auburn great Takeo Spikes names top 3 candidates to be AU’s next head coach

Crissy Froyd
1 minute

The Auburn coaching search is in full swing and while there are some rumors and guesses circulating, there is no sure bet as of now as to just who will be taking the job.

Former Auburn standout Takeo Spikes recently shared his picks for who could ultimately assume the position. And all three of them are high-profile prospects who stand a chance at being impact-makers on The Plains.

“Number one for me is Coach Prime,” he said. “You would have to take a serious look at him. Number two is Lane Kiffin, looking at what he’s done in such a short period of time… and Hugh Freeze… this guy is an instant winner, very good offense.”

All of the aforementioned candidates would present an instant boost and have a logical path to Auburn, so how they could potentially make their way there will be something to keep an eye on.

Auburn football, basketball & golf Tiger Tidbits

Mark Murphy
12-15 minutes

Starting with football:

*One of the changes taking place this week with Carnell "Cadillac" Williams running the show as interim head coach is that the length of practices have been cut back by 25-30 minutes per day in an effort to allow the team to be fresher on Saturdays. The Tigers have been outscored 55-41 in the third quarter this season and 66-37 in the fourth quarter. The only quarter the Tigers have outscored the opposition is the first with a 41-28 advantage. AU has been outscored 90-61 in the second quarter.

* On his previous visit to Mississippi State, Derick Hall was a key performer in Auburn’s 24-10 victory in what was Gus Malzahn’s final game as Auburn’s head coach. Hall made two sacks vs. the Bulldogs in that contest and was named the SEC Defensive Lineman of the Week. A standout at Gulfport (Miss.) High School, he was really excited about performing well in a game played in his home state.

If Hall comes through with two more sacks on Saturday night he will have 19 1/2, which would tie Reggie Torbor for the fifth most by an Auburn player dating back to 2000. The leader is another player from Mississippi, Quentin Groves with 26 sacks.

Through eight games Hall is second on the team in total tackles with 46, two shy of his total for the 2021 season.

* Staying on theme of Tigers from the Magnolia state, sophomore Jarquez Hunter is the only FBS level running back in the country who has two completions of 60 yards or longer this season. Hunter’s longest is 62 vs. Georgia and he gained 61 yards on a catch vs. LSU. The last time an Auburn running back picked up more yards on a pass reception was when Harold Joiner went for 78 yards on a throw from Bo Nix in 2019.

Those two long-gainers to Hunter boosted Robby Ashford’s statistics. The quarterback  certainly needs to improve his completion percentage, but when he does hook up with a receiver it has often led to nice gainers. His average completion is for 14.27 yards, which ranks 13th nationally.

As a runner Ashford is the only freshman quarterback in the country with at least six running plays of 20 yards or longer. He has netted 397 yards, the second most for an Auburn freshman behind Travis Tidwell’s 772 in 1946. His new head coach rushed for 614 yards as a freshman in 2001, which is the seventh highest total for a freshman.

*On the subject of Cadillac Williams, one of the big fixes needed for the offense is getting better on third downs.

The Tigers are converting 68.4 percent of their third down plays of three or fewer yards needed, which is not great, but it drops off significantly when 4-6 yards are needed for a first down. The Tigers are converting just 37.1 percent of those opportunities. At 7-9 yards the conversion rate is 34.7 percent and it is 23.7 percent for 10 yards or longer.

A big problem area for the Tigers has been poor play in fourth quarters and the third down numbers on offense and defense are a big part of that. Auburn has converted just 4-23 for a 17.4 success rate. Opponents are at 50 percent, converting 17-34.

Owen Pappoe is the team leader with 65 tackles. On Tuesday the senior was one announced as one of 15 semi-finalists for the Butkus Award, which is presented to college football's top linebacker. Pappoe has the most tackles in a single game this season with 16 vs. Mississippi. Pappoe has 229 career tackles, the 12th most for an Auburn player since the 2000 season. 

In basketball:

* One of the keys to success for Bruce Pearl’s team will be to shoot well at the free throw line, particularly by the guys who are likely to get plenty of opportunities. In the exhibition game guard K.D. Johnson drew seven fouls and considering how aggressive he is at driving to the basket that is not a surprise. The junior made 6-8 foul shots on a night the Tigers made 67.6 percent as a team, down from last season’s 73.1 percent average.

Johni Broome only played 10 minutes because of a sore ankle, but managed to draw six fouls. He was 2-7 at the free throw line. Last season at Morehead State he shot a team-high 132 free throws (24.4 of the team’s attempts) and made 63.6 percent of his shots, up from 61.8 percent in 2020-21.

* Coach Johnnie Harris is planning to start three true freshman for Thursday night’s exhibition game vs. Tuskegee. At center the Tigers will go with 6-2 Kharyssa Richardson, who has played very well in the preseason, including Auburn’s comfortable victory over Troy in a private scrimmage. She is from New Manchester High School in Douglasville, Ga.

Sydney Shaw, a highly-regarded 5-9 point guard signee out of Miami, is expected to be a starter along with fellow freshman Kailtyn Duhon, a 5-10 guard from Houston, Tex., who has been outstanding on defense.

Those newcomers will be joined in the starting lineup by preseason second team All-SEC selection Aicha Coulibaly, a six-footer who will play forward, and 5-9 senior guard Honesty Scott-Grayson. From what I have seen in practice look for the Tigers to put a more talented and deeper team on the floor.

*On the subject of the women’s team, the players were shown the remodeled locker room suite following practice on Wednesday and they were thrilled with what they saw.

Amenities include two large hydrotherapy tubs and a large room for the trainer, an auditorium for team meetings, a plush locker room with lots of storage for each player with their names and photographs in lights at the top of their personal areas. Their “benches” convert into remote controlled, zero gravity recliners that have heat and massage functions. (A idea borrowed from the Alabama football player lockers.)

The team lounge area has five televisions, sofas and video game hookups along with a kitchen area.

The team’s new associate head coach, Fred Williams, told me that it is nicer than anything in WNBA where he previously coached for the Los Angeles Sparks. He said that should be helpful for recruiting.

*On the subject of recruiting for the women’s team, the Tigers have two scholarship spots available for the early signing period that will run Nov. 9th through 16th. Coach Harris and her staff have commitments from 6-5 center Savannah Scott, who plays for the Conway High School Wampus Cats in Arkansas, and in-state small school standout Timya Thurman from Linden High. Both are expected to sign in the early period that runs Nov. 9-16.

Scott chose Auburn over SMU, Louisiana Tech, Cincinnati and others. She helped her team post a 28-2 record as a junior.

Thurman averaged 25 points, 20.8 rebounds and four blocked shots while being named Alabama’s Class A Player of the Year as a junior. She was also chosen to the 2022-23 five-player Max Preps All-American team for high schools with less than 1,000 students. She chose the Tigers over Alabama, Ole Miss, Florida, Ohio State and others.

* On the subject of recruiting, class of 2022 signee Oyindamola Akinbolawa is expected to join the Tigers in Decembers. She is from Lagos, Nigeria. Originally listed at six-foot-five, she played in a tournament recently and reports from that event indicate she is actually about six-foot-three. That will still tie her with Romi Levy as the second tallest player on this season's team behind six-foot-five Precious Johnson.

* In the early period the men’s team is expected to sign point guard Aden Holloway from Matthews, N.C., who is playing at Prolific Prep in California for his senior season. He is 6-0, 155 pounds and rated five stars by 247Sports as the No. 5 point guard in the 2023 class and No. 28 player overall.

Adam Finkelstein, a recruiting analyst for 247Sports, had this update on a recent performance by Holloway: “The game of the day on court two was the nightcap between Prolific Prep and Corner Canyon. Both teams were organized, playing hard, and with an up-tempo style, making for an entertaining match-up.

“Auburn commit Aden Holloway went for a reported 21 points, 7 rebounds, and 5 assists while continuing to demonstrate why he is one of the premier shooters in all of high school basketball. Whether it was off the catch, dribble, or with deep range, he was aggressive looking for his shot all night long and knocking them down.”

The Tigers hope to sign seven-footer Baye Fall, who took his second official visit to Auburn this past weekend. Also rated five stars, 247Sports ranks the seven-footer from Denver Prep Academy as the No. 1 prospect in Colorado, the No. 3 center in the 2023 class and the No. 14 overall prospect.

He plans to make his announcement from a group of four teams that includes Arkansas, Rutgers and Seton Hall. He had this to say to 247Sports basketball recruiting analyst Deshawn London:

Auburn: “They made my final four because they’ve been recruiting me hard, I like what I’ve seen, and what they’ve done in the past with players that play like me. It’s a great program and I have a great relationship with them.”

Arkansas: “They’re probably the school who’s been recruiting me the longest and most consistent. They put a lot of effort in recruiting me and play in a conference I really like in the SEC. They take guys to the pros and that’s where I want to be. Coach has been at the pro level as a coach with experience which really helps because they’ve seen things I’m about to see. They can help me get it right and help get me to the next level. I also like environment out there. I went on a visit to watch games and I like how they treat the athletes and how it was like family out there.”

Rutgers: “They showed a lot of love and we developed a relationship. The coach is a friend of my dad and I trust him. We talked about certain things they would do with me to get me to the next level and that sounded really good. They have a really good situation and when I went there I saw a lot of different things I didn’t expect on my visit.”

Seton Hall: “Rasheeda (Davis) and I have a really good relationship, not just as a recruit to player but a personal relationship. I really respect what they did last year in the tournament with their staff and I’ve seen how they let their guys play free which is what I do. I think they can help me get to the next level.”

In golf:

* In the new men’s coaches Top 25 poll the Tigers moved up from a tie for third place to number one after winning their third tournament of the fall schedule. Auburn received 11 first place votes. Six went to Vanderbilt, which is ranked second, and fifth-ranked North Carolina received the other two first place votes. Arizona State is ranked third and Texas Tech is fourth.

*In the GolfStat rankings Coach Nick Clinard's team  is No. 1 followed by Vanderbilt, Texas Tech, Arizona State and North Carolina. Brendan Valdes, a sophomore from Orlando, at No. 29 is the top-ranked individual for the Tigers.

The men’s team is third nationally in the Golfweek rankings behind Vanderbilt and Arizona State.  Valdes is the top-ranked individual player, according to Golfweek, at No. 18 nationally.

23COMMENTS

*Coach Melissa Luellen's women’s team is ranked 15th nationally by GolfStat after winning the East Lake Cup last week. Stanford is No. 1 and the top SEC team is South Carolina at No. 4. Megan Schofill, a senior from Monticello, Fla,, is the top ranked individual, according to GolfStat, at No. 16. 

*The women’s team is No. 19 nationally, according to Golfweek. Stanford, last season’s national champion that edged Auburn 3-2 in the NCAA Championship semi-finals in match play, is ranked No. 1. Schofill, at No. 28, is Golfweek’s highest ranked Auburn player.

">247Sports

Auburn, What Really Caused These Two Lost Seasons?

Lyn-Photo-79x78.png

Lyn Scarbrough

November 02, 2022 at 3:32 pm.

harsin-and-cadillac-300x169.png

Former Auburn Tigers head coach Bryan Harsin (L) and interim head coach Carnell “Cadillac” Williams (R) look on from the sideline as Auburn Tigers take on San Jose State Spartans at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, Ala. (Photo: Jane Crandall/USAToday Network)

It was three days before Christmas, 2020, a Tuesday afternoon.

Not sure what I was doing that day, probably still trying to think of gifts to buy for the grandchildren. I don’t remember, but I do remember getting the phone call at our place on Lake Martin.

Caller I.D. said it was from Area Code 208, Boise, Idaho, but I didn’t know the number.

“Hello.”

I immediately recognized the familiar voice of longtime friend, Johnny Mallory from WTIK 95.3 The Ticket in Boise. We’ve done radio together several times and attended sports media events, but hadn’t talked in a while. He got right to the point.

“Is it true?” he asked. “Is Bryan Harsin really going to Auburn?”

A few minutes earlier I had started getting calls and messages informing me that Auburn was indeed hiring Harsin to replace Gus Malzahn, who had parted ways with Auburn after the regular season-ending win over Mississippi State three weeks before.

“Apparently, it’s true, Johnny,” I confirmed. “It’s breaking news on the radio here in Alabama.”

Mallory had called me from the press box high above the blue turf of Albertsons Stadium in Boise where Nevada and Tulane were playing in the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl. The Wolf Pack was leading the Green Wave right then and won the game, 38-27, but not many local media folks there were focused on the game. Bigger news was sweeping through the press box.

“It just broke here that he’s leaving for Auburn,” Johnny said. “It caught everybody off guard. I had to call you to find out if it was true.”

Over the next few weeks, we talked several times about Harsin, his staff and the football programs at Boise and Auburn. Several other contacts from out there also talked with me.

I learned that Harsin wasn’t universally popular with some Broncos fans, nor with some media covering his program. He wasn’t the most outgoing coach and was often hard to work for. Still, most Broncos fans didn’t want him to leave his hometown. Like it is at some other schools, winning will outweigh other negative aspects, and Harsin had done more than his share of winning.

Lindy’s had for several years produced the only publication exclusively covering the Mountain West. It was primarily my project, so I covered MW media days and postseason games multiple times, meeting and interviewing media reps, players and coaches, including Harsin.

At least on paper, he seemed to check off the needed boxes.

He was only 44 years old, likely with a lot of coaching years ahead. In seven years as head coach at his alma mater, his record was 69-19 with three Mountain West championships. Boise State’s winning percentage in those seasons (78.4%) trailed only Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson and Oklahoma among all college teams.

But the games weren’t going to be played on paper and they weren’t going to be played on blue turf. The opposing defenses and offenses were going to be from Georgia, Alabama and LSU, not from UNLV, Wyoming and Hawaii.

We raised the question of whether Harsin and his staff coming from Idaho would be up to the task. Would his personality, his way of doing things be compatible with what was expected by SEC fan bases and media covering the league? Would his coaching style, his sideline decision making and his demeanor be accepted by Auburn people?

Was this going to work? And the question in my mind, more so than in the minds of my friends out West, was this … Would Auburn – its power people, its everyday fans, its social media critics and persistent know-it-all ‘posters’ – give it a fair chance to work?

The jury’s verdict is in on the basic question.

No, it hadn’t worked so far and it looked like it wasn’t going to.

After just 21 games, Auburn parted ways with Harsin this week, just five days before its game with Mississippi State. Also dismissed were offensive coordinator Eric Kiesau, tight ends coach Brad Bedell, chief of staff Brad Larrando and director of recruiting Darren Uscher. All four came with Harsin from Boise.

Harsin is the sixth head coach already fired during the 2022 football season (Arizona State, Colorado, Georgia Tech, Nebraska, Wisconsin). Eight were fired during the regular season in 2021.

Most everybody can agree that things didn’t work as hoped. Under Harsin’s direction, Auburn’s record was 9-12. The Tigers have lost 10 of their past 13 games, including eight of the last nine SEC games. Things weren’t getting better; if anything, they were getting worse.

Electricity and excitement were missing – from the tailgaters outside the stadium to the fans inside, from the sidelines with coaches to the field with players. The offense couldn’t make big plays when needed. And in the past two games (Ole Miss and Arkansas combined for 738 yards rushing), it looked like Tiger defenders might have trouble tackling me … an elderly guy with a hurt foot.

National perception, whether or not justified, had Auburn’s football program, along with its athletic department, on a downhill slide. So, a new athletic director (Josh Cohen from Mississippi State) was hired and Harsin and company were cut loose.

That still leaves questions that don’t have simple answers and on which folks won’t see eye-to-eye.

What really happened to cost Auburn football these two lost seasons? And what should happen going forward to avoid it happening again?

On the field, there were many problems. Start with turnovers. This season, Auburn has captured six turnovers but has surrendered 16. No team is going to win much with minus-10 in turnovers. The very winnable LSU game was a perfect example. Auburn pretty much controlled the game, dominated statistics, but had four critical turnovers. – LSU 21, Auburn 17.

How about penalties? How many times have plays been called back or stopped with illegal motion, offsides, five yards lost that killed drives? Don’t know the quantity, but it’s a high number.

And, play-calling. How many of those fake punts have worked? How about fade-route passes from inside the 5-yard line? How about under-utilizing running backs? Not getting adequate performance from veteran offensive linemen?

Lack of discipline. Carelessness with the ball. Poor tackling. Poor play execution. Lack of improvement during the season. Those all fall under poor coaching.

There have been things out of Harsin’s control. Start with injuries, big time injuries and a lot of them.

Last year, he lost veteran linebacker Owen Pappoe for the season. This year he lost all-star caliber defensive lineman Eku Leota. Last year, he lost veteran quarterback Bo Nix and all-star placekicker Anders Carlson for the season in the same game. This season, he lost all-star center Nick Brahms before the campaign started, then lost his back-up for the season in the second game. He lost starting quarterback T.J. Finley, then back-up Zach Calzada for the season. So, the third choice at center has been snapping to the third choice at quarterback (although Robby Ashford is probably the most talented of the three QBs). Not surprisingly, there have been a lot of mishandled snaps. Last year, Tank Bigsby had to miss games. And there have been others.

Harsin would likely still be the Auburn coach if either of two things happened differently in the 2021 game with Alabama. The Tigers led almost the entire game, keeping the high-powered Tide offense out of the end zone for 59 minutes, leading 10-3. If Tank Bigsby on a run in Alabama territory had turned into the middle of the field rather than going out of bounds, the clock would have continued to run, likely ending Alabama’s chances. That should have happened, but it didn’t.

Then, on first down after Auburn’s punt was downed inside the 5-yard line, an obvious hold in the end zone by an Alabama lineman was ignored, preventing another sack of quarterback Bryce Young, who had already been sacked seven times. By definition, a hold in the end zone is a safety, so the score should have been 12-3, and after the free kick, Auburn would have downed the ball to end the game. That should have happened, but it didn’t.

A win over Alabama would likely have bought Harsin a honeymoon period that might have saved his job. But it didn’t happen.

When did things start to fall apart for Harsin? Was there a tipping point?

Was it as early as the 2021 Penn State game when Auburn threw back-to-back fade passes inside the Nitany Lions’ 5-yard line? Was it the second half of the 2021 Mississippi State game when Auburn blew a 28-3 lead and was outscored 40-6 in a humiliating loss? Was it the fake punt in the South Carolina game or the one in the Ole Miss game, neither of which worked? Was it never being competitive against Georgia and several others?

For some people, it didn’t take a tipping point. They had favorites to replace Malzahn, but when that didn’t happen, that was enough.

Early in 2022, rumors were spread against Harsin and his family. Accusations were fabricated. His character and ethics were questioned. And, worst of all, supposed Auburn fans posted things on social media that fanned the negative flames, making it virtually impossible to recruit successfully or represent the university in a positive way. As has often been the case, Auburn people were Auburn’s worst enemies.

During that embarrassing episode, I talked again with Boise contacts, hometown folks that know the Harsin family and others mentioned as being involved. To a person, my contacts – even some that don’t like Harsin’s personality or his coaching style – defended Harsin and ridiculed the rumors.

To his credit, Harsin didn’t lash out; he denied accusations and handled things with more class than the accusers and rumor-spreaders. Not sure that I could have shown that much restraint.

Harsin said the right things in a statement after his firing.

“I poured my heart and soul into this program and team. We stood together in the face of considerable challenges and outside noise. Through my entire time at Auburn we did things the right way, which is not always the easy way. … (I am) incredibly grateful for those at Auburn who stood by me and my family.”

“Like any coach with the benefit of hindsight, there are things that could have been done differently. I don’t pretend to be perfect, but I am certain I will be better moving forward because of this experience.”

“Thank you for allowing us to be a part of the Auburn family.”

Regardless of the factors, it was time for a change. Maybe this never had a realistic chance from the outset. Maybe Harsin was DOA in December, 2020. The way that the situation was publicly handled did a disservice to Harsin and to the university.

Auburn football was called a “coaching revolving door” by fans and media around the country, untrue of course, especially compared to other SEC programs. Since 1981 when Pat Dye came to Auburn, the Tigers have had six head coaches (Dye, Bowden, Tuberville, Chizik, Malzahn, Harsin). In those same 40 years, Tennessee has had nine head coaches; Ole Miss and Alabama have each had 10.

Those same folks referred to the Auburn athletic program as being on the decline with many problems. But, the truth – Last season, Auburn men’s basketball was ranked No. 1 in the country for several weeks and is the last SEC team to play in the Final Four. Baseball has played in two of the past three College World Series. The men’s golf team is No. 1 in the latest GolfStat national ranking and the women are in the Top 15. Gymnastics is ranked No. 4 by NCAA Gymnastics and already has one of the nation’s top recruiting classes again. Equestrian has won three national titles since 2016 and is ranked again now. You get the picture. The Auburn athletic program has seldom, if ever, been stronger overall … except for football.

But, perception is often reality to the masses. The handling of the Harsin situation, made worse by unknowledgeable social media posters, helped create those perceptions. Who knows how long it will take for that to be overcome?

So who should be Auburn’s next football coach? What should happen next?

From my perspective, the next head coach needs to understand the Southeastern Conference, the uniqueness of Auburn and its fan base, and set expectations. He needs to be a good marketer and understand that importance. Having Power 5 coaching experience would be a major asset. And, he has to be an effective recruiter, starting now. Auburn can’t wait a few years before regaining its place among the traditional SEC powers.

Former Auburn All-American linebacker and current SEC Network commentator Takeo Spikes said this in a Tweet a couple of days ago … “It’s important for the next head coach to be able to tap into the transfer portal like Lane Kiffin has done the past two years and get quality players that can contribute NOW.”

From my perspective, Spikes has it right.

Here are some thoughts, which apply not only for Auburn, but for any program wanting to change direction after going backward.

As important as it is to get the right man, it’s even more important to give it a chance to work. Greet him with applause, not criticism. Don’t use the social media platform for disrespect, personal attacks or spreading rumors. If you claim to be a fan, act like one. Give your coach a level playing field for recruiting. Help that cause, don’t hurt it.

It appears that a good many well-known names nationally have been mentioned as having interest in the Auburn opening.

So, somebody may be calling you in the next few weeks.

You might be asked, “Is it true?”

Be ready to confirm the answer. Then don’t be a critic before it even starts. Give it a chance to work.

• Thanks 1
  • Dislike 1

collegefootballnews.com

Auburn vs Mississippi State Prediction Game Preview

By Pete Fiutak | November 2, 2022 8:12 pm CT
3-4 minutes

Auburn vs Mississippi State prediction, game preview, how to watch. Week 10, Saturday, November 5

Auburn vs Mississippi State How To Watch

Date: Saturday, November 5
Game Time: 7:30 ET
Venue: Davis Wade Stadium, Starkville, MS
How To Watch: ESPN2
Record: Auburn (3-5), Mississippi State (5-3)

CFN 1-131 Rankings | Rankings by Conference
Bowl Projections | Expert Picks Week 10
Week 10 Schedule, Predictions
Contact/Follow @ColFootballNews & @PeteFiutak

Auburn vs Mississippi State Game Preview

Why Auburn Will Win

Anything interesting happening at Auburn this week?

Carnell “Cadillac” Williams will step in as the interim head coach after the Bryan Harsin era came to an end. Yes, Auburn has lost four straight, and yes, it was a massive break against Missouri away from being on a six game losing run, but there are a few positives.

The offense perked up over the last few weeks. It ran well against Ole Miss and Robbie Ashford threw for 285 yards in last week’s loss to Arkansas. That’s a step forward, and so was not turning the ball over against the Hogs – giveaways have been an issue.

But it comes down to this – can Auburn hold up against the Mississippi State midrange passing game?

For all of the problems and issues, Auburn’s pass defense isn’t getting gouged, but …

Breaking down the CFP Top 25 rankings

Why Mississippi State Will Win

No one has rocked the passing game against the Auburn defense because everyone spends so much time running.

LSU couldn’t complete a thing, but the ground game was good enough and the defense forced four takeaways in its win. Georgia ran for almost 300 yards, Ole Miss went off, and Arkansas rumbled at will last week – the Tigers allowed well over 1,000 rushing yards over the last three games.

Mississippi State will be effective on the ground, but that’s not how this works.

The Tigers haven’t seen anything like this Bulldog passing game, but Penn State’s Sean Clifford was able to hit the midrange throws as much as he wanted, Stetson Bennett connected on 69% of his throws in Georgia’s win, KJ Jefferson of Arkansas was terrific through the air last week, and …

Schedules, Predictions CollegeNFL

What’s Going To Happen

Here comes the Mississippi State passing game. However, the team is 0-3 when it doesn’t hit 300 yards and 5-0 when it does.

Auburn hasn’t allowed 300 yards in any passing game so far. It’s about to see that go bye-bye.

Auburn isn’t playing that poorly considering what a disaster of a season this is. However, it won’t be able to come up with a third down stop, it’ll turn the ball over in a big moment, and the Bulldogs will crank up the machine now that they’re back home.

Expert Picks College Week 10NFL Week 9

Auburn vs Mississippi State Prediction, Line

Mississippi State 41, Auburn 24
Line: Auburn -13.5, o/u: 51.5
ATS Confidence out of 5: 2.5
Auburn vs Mississippi State Must See Rating (out of 5): 3

2 Minute Drill: Change brings excitement for Auburn football heading to Miss. State

ByJason Caldwell Nov 3, 7:23 AM

AUBURN, Alabama—With the firing of Bryan Harsin and several staff members on Monday, there will be plenty of changes for the Auburn Tigers (3-5, 1-4) when interim coach Cadillac Williams leads his team on the field against the Mississippi State Bulldogs on Saturday night in Starkville. With offensive coordinator Eric Kiesau one of those let go, OL coach Will Friend and WR coach Ike Hilliard are now sharing the offensive coordinator duties. Former Kentucky quarterback Brian Hartline is now on the field as Auburn's quarterbacks coach, former Auburn and NFL offensive lineman Kendall Simmons has moved on the field to coach the offensive line, and former Fresno State player and assistant Joe Bernardi will coach the tight ends.

Mark Murphy and Jason Caldwell discuss the changes, the excitement boost for the program, and much more in this 2 Minute Drill.

Comments (7)

">247Sports

Fearless Forecasters: Our picks for Auburn at Mississippi State, other Week 10 games

Bryan Harsin is gone, but the Tigers still have a division road game to play Saturday.

Led now by interim coach Cadillac Williams, Auburn travels to Mississippi State (6:30 p.m. CST, ESPN2) after a dramatic week for the program saw the head coach pushed out, and a few on-field assistant roles shuffled, too, after offensive coordinator Eric Kiesau and Brad Bedell were also fired. How much will those moves affect Auburn's game plan, and could the team find some newfound energy under Williams?

Our Fearless Forecasters dive into their picks and predictions for Auburn's suddenly intriguing trip to Starkville, along with other big games in Week 10.

Week 10 standings

Mark: 109-37 (74.7%)

Jason: 108-38 (74.0%)

Phillip: 105-41 (72.0%)

Dukes: 103-43 (70.5%)

Nathan: 103-43 (70.5%)

Ronnie: 102-44 (69.9%)

Christian: 102-44 (69.9%)

Auburn at Mississippi State (-12.5)

Mark Murphy: "The visitors might keep this game close for a half or so, but look for the Auburn defense to tire like happened in last year’s matchup. Auburn fans would be thrilled if their interim head coach, Carnell 'Cadillac' Williams, could lead the Tigers to a victory this week, but that is a huge ask. Auburn could make this interesting if Tank Bigsby runs like his coach."

Mississippi State 31, Auburn 20

Jason Caldwell: "I’m not really sure what we will see on Saturday. I do believe this is an Auburn team that is going to be excited about playing after everything that has gone on. I believe we'll see the Tigers be committed to running the football, which will be important.

"While I’m not sold on Mississippi State, I’m just not sure Auburn has enough in the tank to pull out the win."

Mississippi State 27, Auburn 24

Phillip Marshall: "I expect Auburn to play with less tension and more energy Saturday against Mississippi State. The pressure is off. I also expect the Tigers to do a better job of getting the ball to players who need to have it. Will that be enough to beat a pretty good team in a road night game? Probably not."

Mississippi State 34, Auburn 28

Phillip Dukes: "This is a game that Auburn should lose based on how much turmoil has surrounded the program recently. The Tigers have talent, but injuries and some questionable coaching decisions have played a major role in their dismal start to the season. With Carnell Williams being named the interim coach, there seemed to be a sigh of relief from the team that there is now some semblance of clarity regarding the remainder of the season.

"The play calling tendencies of Will Friend in tandem with Ike Hilliard have yet to be seen and I think that bodes well for the Tigers. The Bulldogs are 5-3 after a hot start to the season and I could easily see them taking the foot off the gas following a bye week. I think Auburn plays out of their mind for 'Coach Lac' and pulls out an upset in Starkville."

Auburn 27, Mississippi State 24

Nathan King: "There seems to be a renewed confidence in Auburn’s chances down the stretch this season after Harsin was fired. We’ve seen so much success with interim coaches this season, and Auburn’s players absolutely adore Williams as a leader and as a person. There’s no doubt the Tigers will have tremendous fight Saturday.

"I expect a vanilla offensive game plan that features a heavy dose of Tank Bigsby, and that’s probably enough to find a few scores in Starkville. But with Mississippi State coming off a bye, and the way Will Rogers torched this defense last season, I expect the Bulldogs to hold serve in front of a night-game crowd."

Mississippi State 41, Auburn 24

Ronnie Sanders: "Now that Bryan Harsin is out of the way, maybe the Tigers can start having fun again. Interim head coach Cadillac Williams will do everything he can to ensure they do. Look for Auburn to run the ball. A lot. Will a new voice and a different plan be enough?

Mississippi State 27, Auburn 20

Christian Clemente: "I'm a sucker for a good storyline. Interim coaches have had plenty of success this year and it's hard to find one with a better story than Cadillac Williams. The former Auburn and NFL star is going to have this Auburn team fired up on Saturday. More than we've seen all season long.

"Mississippi State's recent slide has given me questions about truly how good this Bulldogs squad is, and I still believe the players will be looking for revenge from last year's loss in Jordan-Hare. Led by Tank Bigsby and an improved Robby Ashford, Auburn pulls out a close one in Starkville."

Auburn 27, Mississippi State 24

Game of the week: No. 1 Tennessee @ No. 3 Georgia (-8.5)

Mark: "This is the game of the year for the SEC East with unbeaten Tennessee gaining major momentum and Georgia also sporting an unbeaten record. Georgia has the better defense. Tennessee is the more explosive offensive team.

"The Bulldogs have homefield advantage, which could be the difference."

Georgia 31, Tennessee 28

Jason: "I said before the season that I thought Tennessee was the only real challenger for Alabama and Georgia. They’ve already taken down one and they’ll do it again on Saturday."

Tennessee 34, Georgia 31

Phillip: "This is a difficult one. It's a huge game between to really good teams. The winner is likely headed for the SEC Championship Game. It could go either way, but I have to give a shaky vote to the home team."

Georgia 35, Tennessee 31

Dukes: "For all intents and purposes, I believed that Tennessee is the better offense of the two SEC heavyweights and that they would just outscore Georgia. From looking at Vegas, it seems like Georgia's offense which has the tendency to plod along sometimes is being favored by 12.5 points.

"For most people that sounds like an easy bet. There's no way Tennessee gets beat by 13 is there?? When I see lines like this, I usually bet the opposite of my gut feeling. Georgia by two touchdowns."

Georgia 42, Tennessee 28

Nathan: "Both teams are rolling into this one, and the Vols might have the Heisman frontrunner in Hendon Hooker. But Georgia's improvement the past few weeks shouldn't be ignored, either, as the Bulldogs have outscored their past three SEC opponents 139-40.

"In one of the most anticipated collisions of elite offense and defense over the past few seasons, I'll take Georgia to make just enough plays at home to knock Tennessee off its pedestal."

Georgia 34, Tennessee 31

Ronnie: "The winner of this game is likely headed to Atlanta. It’s been a long time for Tennessee, but beating Georgia in Athens is a tall task."

Tennessee 41, Georgia 38

Christian: "Seeing as I've already gone against my gut once and got burned taking Alabama to beat the Vols, I have to flip the script this weekend. Even in Athens, with Georgia looking to take down the playoff No. 1 Tennessee, the Vols keep rolling."

Tennessee 40, Georgia 35

SEC games

Kentucky @ Missouri

Mark: Kentucky

Jason: Missouri

Phillip: Missouri

Dukes: Kentucky

Nathan: Missouri

Ronnie: Kentucky

Christian: Kentucky

--

Florida @ Texas A&M

Mark: Texas A&M

Jason: Texas A&M

Phillip: Texas A&M

Dukes: Texas A&M

Nathan: Texas A&M

Ronnie: Florida

Christian: Texas A&M

--

Liberty @ Arkansas

Mark: Arkansas

Jason: Arkansas

Phillip: Arkansas

Dukes: Arkansas

Nathan: Arkansas

Ronnie: Arkansas

Christian: Arkansas

--

No. 6 Alabama @ No. 10 LSU

Mark: Alabama

Jason: LSU

Phillip: Alabama

Dukes: Alabama

Nathan: Alabama

Ronnie: LSU

Christian: Alabama

--

South Carolina @ Vanderbilt

Mark: South Carolina

Jason: South Carolina

Phillip: South Carolina

Dukes: South Carolina

Nathan: South Carolina

Ronnie: South Carolina

Christian: South Carolina

Other games

No. 23 Oregon State @ Washington

Mark: Washington

Jason: Washington

Phillip: Washington

Dukes: Washington

Nathan: Washington

Ronnie: Washington

Christian: Washington

--

Baylor @ Oklahoma

Mark: Baylor

Jason: Oklahoma

Phillip: Baylor

Dukes: Oklahoma

Nathan: Oklahoma

Ronnie: Oklahoma

Christian: Baylor

--

Michigan State @ No. 16 Illinois

Mark: Illinois

Jason: Illinois

Phillip: Illinois

Dukes: Illinois

Nathan: Illinois

Ronnie: Illinois

Christian: Illinois

--

No. 18 Oklahoma State @ Kansas

Mark: Oklahoma State

Jason: Oklahoma State

Phillip: Kansas

Dukes: Oklahoma State

Nathan: Oklahoma State

Ronnie: Oklahoma State

Christian: Oklahoma State

--

No. 20 Syracuse @ Pitt

Mark: Pitt

Jason: Pitt

Phillip: Syracuse

Dukes: Syracuse

Nathan: Pitt

Ronnie: Syracuse

Christian: Syracuse

--

No. 25 UCF @ Memphis

Mark: UCF

Jason: UCF

Phillip: UCF

Dukes: UCF

Nathan: UCF

Ronnie: UCF

Christian: UCF

--

Texas @ No. 13 Kansas State

Mark: Kansas State

Jason: Kansas State

Phillip: Kansas State

Dukes: Texas

Nathan: Kansas State

Ronnie: Kansas State

Christian: Texas

--

BYU @ Boise State

Mark: Boise State

Jason: Boise State

Phillip: BYU

Dukes: BYU

Nathan: Boise State

Ronnie: Boise State

Christian: Boise State

--

Houston @ SMU

Mark: SMU

Jason: Houston

Phillip: SMU

Dukes: Houston

Nathan: Houston

Ronnie: Houston

Christian: SMU

--

No. 4 Clemson @ Notre Dame

Mark: Clemson

Jason: Clemson

Phillip: Clemson

Dukes: Notre Dame

Nathan: Clemson

Ronnie: Clemson

Christian: Clemson

--

No. 21 Wake Forest @ No. 22 NC State

Mark: Wake Forest

Jason: NC State

Phillip: Wake Forest

Dukes: Wake Forest

Nathan: Wake Forest

Ronnie: NC State

Christian: Wake Forest

Edited by aubiefifty

Joseph Goodman: It’s time to ride with Cadillac

Published: Nov. 04, 2022, 6:45 a.m.
6-8 minutes

Carnell Williams paused when I asked him about his first message as head coach to his Auburn football team.

It was a long pause for a phone interview, but a short one when measured against history. About the time it takes for a game-winning 50-yard field goal to clear the uprights from foot to forever. Williams gathered his emotions as best he could and took a deep breath. This is what the first Black head football coach of Auburn University said to his team.

“Honestly,” he said.

And then he stopped, catching himself. He could not hide, even on the phone, how much this all means to him and through him Auburn. Carnell Williams represents the soul of not only Auburn University, but the state of Alabama and everything that is right about this thing that is college football in the Southeastern Conference.

RELATED: Highlights from Tiger Talk with Auburn coach Carnell Williams

RELATED: Three questions facing Auburn and Carnell Williams

RELATED: Carnell Williams reflects on ‘bittersweet’ opportunity

JOE VS. THE PRO AND THE HERO: Week 10 picks are here

From Attala, Alabama, to this. So many memories. So much history. Think of all the experiences. Wins and loses. Injuries and injuries and then the injustice of the BCS. Coming back home to Auburn to finish a degree, and then coming back home to coach. From Tommy Tuberville bringing Auburn’s entire coaching staff to Williams’ childhood home on a Monday night in January 2001, to another life-changing Monday when Williams, at 40 years old, with a life shaped by Auburn University and molded in the crucible of the SEC, was made the interim head coach after the firing Bryan Harsin.

Williams looked at his team, and he saw himself, and then he spoke a truth that came from a heart weighted by humility.

“Honestly, it was two things,” he said. “One thing I stressed on was family. Two decades ago, that is one of the main reasons that I chose Auburn University, because of the family atmosphere.

“I grew up in a big family, and I came here and I loved everything about it, that blue-collar mentality, how not only do they love Auburn football but love Auburn and just love people. So, the people within these walls are what made Auburn great, so that’s one thing I hit on with these players.

“The second thing is just the hard work, that blue-collar mentality — that relentless effort, you know? Finishing on every play, never quitting, just outworking your opponents in each and every thing you do. Everything that our creed is exemplified by, that is honestly what I shared with those guys in that team meeting.”

This just feels right, doesn’t it?

There is something about Williams picking up Auburn off the mat, and putting Auburn on his back during these moments, that just feels like things are instantly better. Auburn could lose every game for the rest of the season, but I already know that with Williams as the coach Auburn’s spirit is not going to be defeated.

And I am not alone in this feeling.

I don’t know who’s going to be Auburn’s next permanent head football coach, but I do know that Auburn is ready to ride or die with Cadillac. After one interview with Williams, I know that Auburn football is in good hands until a decision is made about the future and a permanent coach is hired. Auburn has beaten itself up for a long time over football, but with Williams the healing has already started and a path out of the darkness is clear.

Who used to coach Auburn football? I can’t remember. Call it COVID brain fog. Doesn’t matter now anyways. By so many degrees, Williams is the start of something new and meaningful for Auburn and for Alabama.

He’s the first Black coach of an SEC football team in the state, and at a time when there are no other Black head coaches in the entire league. That means something. If you’re an Auburn grad, if you’re a resident or a native of Alabama, then that should make you proud.

Y’all, I am beaming.

Auburn plays at Mississippi State on Saturday night, and then is back at home at Jordan-Hare Stadium on Nov.12 for Texas A&M. It’s under the lights, too. Kickoff at 6:30 p.m. What a night that will be. What an inspiring turn towards destiny with one decision. Williams was coaching running backs for the Birmingham Iron at Legion Field in 2018. The Iron’s entire league folded in the middle of its first season. Williams was out of work. Gus Malzahn’s staff brought him home.

What a trip.

I asked Williams some pointed questions in his first media session. He crushed them. His answers were perfect. Of course they were, though. Williams is an SEC lifer. He gets it. He’s ready for this. Williams knows what it means to be a coach in the SEC because Williams was raised by these ways.

First question: Do you have any interest in being the permanent coach?

“Honestly, all I’m trying to do is win a football game this week and do my best for these players and this staff and the Auburn family,” Williams said. “Honestly, I’m taking it one day at a time — literally, one minute at a time. I’m not even focused on all the what if’s. I’m honestly being where my feet are — not only myself, but also this team.”

Second question: Do you have a plan in place for recruiting?

“Yes, sir. I do,” Williams said. “I actually do. One of the things I definitely want to get out to recruits and the rest of the world: only at Auburn do dreams come true. I’m forever indebted to this institution. It changed the whole trajectory of the Williams family.

“I met my wife here; my two boys — Auburn has been so good to me. Every dream I wanted to accomplish, this place gave me the opportunity. Now for me to be in this position, I just want to get it out there: only at Auburn do dreams come true. It’s a lot of guys, from the Bo Jacksons to the Cam Newtons to the Karlos Dansbys to the Carlos Rogers — all the guys that came here and were able to accomplish their dreams and do a lot of great things.”

Williams doesn’t have to convince anyone of who he is and what he represents. All he has to do is be himself. Williams is the real thing, and his opportunity is not by luck or chance. History is here for Auburn with sudden beauty because it was united by common dreams all along.

Joseph Goodman is a columnist for the Alabama Media Group, and author of “We Want Bama: A season of hope and the making of Nick Saban’s ‘ultimate team’”. You can find him on Twitter @JoeGoodmanJr.

If you purchase a product or register for an account through one of the links on our site, we may receive compensation.

• Love 1

Tiger Buzz: Auburn vs. Mississippi State TV info, key matchups and what to watch for

Published: Nov. 04, 2022, 7:30 a.m.
4-5 minutes

FTBL: FOOTBALL

Sep 24, 2022; Auburn, AL, USA; Derick Hall (29) and Keionte Scott (6) celebrate touch down between Auburn and MIssouri at Jordan-Hare Stadium. Todd Van Emst/AU AthleticsTodd Van Emst/AU Athletics

Auburn (3-5, 1-4 SEC) at Mississippi State (5-3, 2-3 SEC)

When: 6:30 CT

Where: Davis Wade Stadium, Starkville MS

Line: 12.5

This game will determine.

How Carnell ‘Cadillac’ Williams begins his term as Auburn’s interim coach. Auburn parted with Bryan Harsin, who went 9-12 in 21 games as the Tigers’ head coach. Auburn is on a four-game losing streak after a last week’s loss to Arkansas in Harsin’s final match at Auburn.

The Tigers have a 65-28-2 (.695) record all-time against Mississippi State and have won eight of the last 13 matchups against the Bulldogs. Auburn was a 24-10 victor in Starkville in 2020, but Mississippi State won 43-34 in Auburn last season. The Tigers blew a 28-3 lead in a game that started the downward spiral under Harsin.

Three things to look for

1. How will Auburn handle a tumultuous week? In-season coaching changes might make frustrated fans feel better, but they’re not easy on the players or coaching staff. Sources tell AL.Com that the energy in practice is higher than it’s been in several weeks since Williams took over coaching duties for the Tigers. How will it translate on the field in a game?

2. Robby Ashford’s best performance of the season was in defeat against Arkansas. The Oregon transfer led the team in rushing with 87 yards and threw for 285 yards on 24-33 passing and a nine-yard touchdown pass to freshman Camden Brown. Ashford is developing into a viable starting quarterback. He could take another step against the Bulldogs.

3. Can Auburn win battles in the trenches? Auburn has been getting gashed in the run game on defense and struggling to maintain drives on offense. Williams said he wants to return to playing a physical style of football. If Auburn can get back running the ball effectively with Tank Bigsby, Jarquez Hunter, and freshman Damari Alston, the Tigers have a much better chance of winning.

Key Matchup

Auburn’s secondary versus Mississippi State quarterback Will Rogers is the matchup most worth watching. Tiger fans likely remember how Rogers carved up the secondary in the second half with a barrage of intermediate throws. He leads the conference in passing (319.4 yards per game) and total offense (307.5) and is a touchdown away from breaking Dak Prescott’s school record of 70 touchdowns. Auburn allows 193.8 passing yards per game, which is fourth in the conference.

By the numbers

5- Bulldog cornerback Emmanuel Forbes leads the SEC with five interceptions. He’s returned two interceptions for touchdowns and leads the conference with 11 passes defended.

Key Injuries

Auburn — OL Nick Brahms out (retired), OL Tate Johnson out (elbow), QB Zach Calzada out (shoulder), Edge Eku Leota out (pectoral), RB Jordon Ingram out (knee), WR Landen King out (transfer), WR Tar’Varish Dawson Jr. out (transfer), DL Zykeivous Walker out (transfer), CB A.D. Diamond out (transfer)

Mississippi State -- RB Dillon Johnson questionable (undisclosed)

Mississippi State player to watch

Jo’quavious Marks, RB: The 5′10 210-pound tailback has 312 rushing yards on 70 attempts. He also is dynamic in the Air Raid passing attack. He has 200 receiving yards and has caught a pass in 31 consecutive games for the Bulldogs.

Nubyjas Wilborn covers Auburn for Alabama Media Group.

Highlights from Tiger Talk with interim coach Carnell “Cadillac” Williams

Updated: Nov. 03, 2022, 7:00 p.m.|

Published: Nov. 03, 2022, 6:09 p.m.

Auburn running backs coach Carnell Williams. Auburn spring practice starts on Monday, March 18, 2019 in Auburn, Ala. Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

NEW!

By

Nubyjas Wilborn | nwilborn@al.com

Auburn interim head coach Carnell “Cadillac” Williams is making his first appearance as head coach on Tiger Talk with Auburn broadcasters Andy Burcham and Brad Law.

Williams found out Monday afternoon that he’d become the Tigers’ interim coach after the school parted with Bryan Harsin after 21 games and a 9-12 record.

Williams and the Tigers (3-5, 1-4 SEC) seek to break a four-game losing streak when the team visits Mississippi State (5-3, 2-3 SEC) on Saturday at 6:30 on ESPN 2. Last season the Tigers famously blew a 28-3 lead en route to a 43-34 loss at Jordan-Hare.

-- Law’s first question to Williams was how much sleep he’s been getting. Williams says he gets around 2-3 hours of sleep daily. He’s going to bed but can’t sleep since Monday’s announcement of him as the head coach.

-- Williams says he has around 300 fans he hasn’t opened since Monday.

-- Williams said his wife nudged him into considering coaching. She said, “All you do Saturday and Sunday is sit on the phone with your friends talking about football anyway.”

-- Williams recalls the story about how he got in contact with Guz Malzhan to express his interest in coaching running backs at Auburn. Malzhan offered Williams the job a couple of hours after meeting for dinner at a Mexican restaurant.

-- Williams believes in creating an environment of unity.

“We’re going to play Auburn football, and that’s getting back to running the football and playing relentlessly on defense. We’re going to have fun with it and these guys are going to play hard.”

-- Williams is focused on being in the present moment.

-- “We have to recruit, Williams said. “This place is great. Dreams come true here. And It all starts with recruiting for us.

Williams said the Auburn staff has been in the facility until 1 or 2 am each night, trying to create a game plan to beat Mississippi State.

-- “We’re going to come out Saturday night and play Auburn football, and we’ll see what happens,” Williams said.

-- Williams is emphasizing to the players the importance of finishing the last four games strong.

31 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

Here are some thoughts, which apply not only for Auburn, but for any program wanting to change direction after going backward.

As important as it is to get the right man, it’s even more important to give it a chance to work. Greet him with applause, not criticism. Don’t use the social media platform for disrespect, personal attacks or spreading rumors. If you claim to be a fan, act like one. Give your coach a level playing field for recruiting. Help that cause, don’t hurt it.

It appears that a good many well-known names nationally have been mentioned as having interest in the Auburn opening.

So, somebody may be calling you in the next few weeks.

You might be asked, “Is it true?”

Be ready to confirm the answer. Then don’t be a critic before it even starts. Give it a chance to work.

Harsin had so many egregious errors as a head coach, which this writer likely either 1.) doesn't know about, 2.) doesn't care, or 3.) some combination of both. Blaming the fans instead of blaming the coach. Perhaps Harsin should have actually recruited. Perhaps Harsin should have showed up to high school programs and games around the state. Perhaps he should have actually met and introduced himself to 4*/5* players who lived and played just minutes away, or who even showed up on his doorstep. Perhaps Harsin should have signed a player, just one, on national signing day. Perhaps he should have seen the need for offensive linemen and grabbed as many as he could. Maybe he and his staff should have called called better plays and actually scored more than 3-7 points in most second halves. Maybe he should have done better halftime adjustments. But here we are, since he didn't do any of these things. 

Not hating on you, @aubiefifty. I appreciate the postings. The writer got a lot right, regarding the in-game failures of the coach and staff, but really got it wrong at the end, IMO.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AUINSY said:

Harsin had so many egregious errors as a head coach, which this writer likely either 1.) doesn't know about, 2.) doesn't care, or 3.) some combination of both. Blaming the fans instead of blaming the coach. Perhaps Harsin should have actually recruited. Perhaps Harsin should have showed up to high school programs and games around the state. Perhaps he should have actually met and introduced himself to 4*/5* players who lived and played just minutes away, or who even showed up on his doorstep. Perhaps Harsin should have signed a player, just one, on national signing day. Perhaps he should have seen the need for offensive linemen and grabbed as many as he could. Maybe he and his staff should have called called better plays and actually scored more than 3-7 points in most second halves. Maybe he should have done better halftime adjustments. But here we are, since he didn't do any of these things. 

Not hating on you, @aubiefifty. I appreciate the postings. The writer got a lot right, regarding the in-game failures of the coach and staff, but really got it wrong at the end, IMO.

not a problem. i post it all including the ugly. but to be honest when i am posting articles i seldom get to read them until later. i do appreciate the folks that realize i just post articles for everyone and it does not mean it is a reflection of how i feel.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aubiefifty said:

not a problem. i post it all including the ugly. but to be honest when i am posting articles i seldom get to read them until later. i do appreciate the folks that realize i just post articles for everyone and it does not mean it is a reflection of how i feel.

You're a legend. Like Foy of the old days for Auburn football and sports articles. Keep up the great work!

12 minutes ago, AUINSY said:

my friend you are welcome to come after any article i post. just remember they are not my thoughts. and you are welcome to comment on my comments. it is a message board. but i will not lie down with being disrespected UNLESS it is on the political boards which is fair game.

2 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

my friend you are welcome to come after any article i post. just remember they are not my thoughts. and you are welcome to comment on my comments. it is a message board. but i will not lie down with being disrespected UNLESS it is on the political boards which is fair game.

True, politics and respect aren’t generally found in the sane location.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hank2020 said:

True, politics and respect aren’t generally found in the sane location.

hank i give it hard but i also take it the same way. dang that sounds gay. but yes it is a free for all. but it these troubled times they allow me to vent.

Joseph Goodman: It’s time to ride with Cadillac

Updated: Nov. 04, 2022, 8:59 a.m.|Published: Nov. 04, 2022, 6:45 a.m.
6-8 minutes

Carnell Williams paused when I asked him about his first message as head coach to his Auburn football team.

It was a long pause for a phone interview, but a short one when measured against history. About the time it takes for a game-winning 50-yard field goal to clear the uprights from foot to forever. Williams gathered his emotions as best he could and took a deep breath. This is what the first Black head football coach of Auburn University said to his team.

“Honestly,” he said.

And then he stopped, catching himself. He could not hide, even on the phone, how much this all means to him and through him Auburn. Carnell Williams represents the soul of not only Auburn University, but the state of Alabama and everything that is right about this thing that is college football in the Southeastern Conference.

RELATED: Highlights from Tiger Talk with Auburn coach Carnell Williams

RELATED: Three questions facing Auburn and Carnell Williams

RELATED: Carnell Williams reflects on ‘bittersweet’ opportunity

JOE VS. THE PRO AND THE HERO: Week 10 picks are here

From Attala, Alabama, to this. So many memories. So much history. Think of all the experiences. Wins and loses. Injuries and injuries and then the injustice of the BCS. Coming back home to Auburn to finish a degree, and then coming back home to coach. From Tommy Tuberville bringing Auburn’s entire coaching staff to Williams’ childhood home on a Monday night in January 2001, to another life-changing Monday when Williams, at 40 years old, with a life shaped by Auburn University and molded in the crucible of the SEC, was made the interim head coach after the firing of Bryan Harsin.

Williams looked at his team, and he saw himself, and then he spoke a truth that came from a heart weighted by humility.

“Honestly, it was two things,” he said. “One thing I stressed on was family. Two decades ago, that is one of the main reasons that I chose Auburn University, because of the family atmosphere.

“I grew up in a big family, and I came here and I loved everything about it, that blue-collar mentality, how not only do they love Auburn football but love Auburn and just love people. So, the people within these walls are what made Auburn great, so that’s one thing I hit on with these players.

“The second thing is just the hard work, that blue-collar mentality — that relentless effort, you know? Finishing on every play, never quitting, just outworking your opponents in each and every thing you do. Everything that our creed is exemplified by, that is honestly what I shared with those guys in that team meeting.”

This just feels right, doesn’t it?

There is something about Williams picking up Auburn off the mat, and putting Auburn on his back during these moments, that just feels like things are instantly better. Auburn could lose every game for the rest of the season, but I already know that with Williams as the coach Auburn’s spirit is not going to be defeated.

And I am not alone in this feeling.

I don’t know who’s going to be Auburn’s next permanent head football coach, but I do know that Auburn is ready to ride or die with Cadillac. After one interview with Williams, I know that Auburn football is in good hands until a decision is made about the future and a permanent coach is hired. Auburn has beaten itself up for a long time over football, but with Williams the healing has already started and a path out of the darkness is clear.

Who used to coach Auburn football? I can’t remember. Call it COVID brain fog. Doesn’t matter now anyways. By so many degrees, Williams is the start of something new and meaningful for Auburn and for Alabama.

He’s the first Black coach of an SEC football team in the state, and at a time when there are no other Black head coaches in the entire league. That means something. If you’re an Auburn grad, if you’re a resident or a native of Alabama, then that should make you proud.

Y’all, I am beaming.

Auburn plays at Mississippi State on Saturday night, and then is back at home at Jordan-Hare Stadium on Nov.12 for Texas A&M. It’s under the lights, too. Kickoff at 6:30 p.m. What a night that will be. What an inspiring turn towards destiny with one decision. Williams was coaching running backs for the Birmingham Iron at Legion Field in 2018. The Iron’s entire league folded in the middle of its first season. Williams was out of work. Gus Malzahn’s staff brought him home.

What a trip.

I asked Williams some pointed questions in his first media session. He crushed them. His answers were perfect. Of course they were, though. Williams is an SEC lifer. He gets it. He’s ready for this. Williams knows what it means to be a coach in the SEC because Williams was raised by these ways.

First question: Do you have any interest in being the permanent coach?

“Honestly, all I’m trying to do is win a football game this week and do my best for these players and this staff and the Auburn family,” Williams said. “Honestly, I’m taking it one day at a time — literally, one minute at a time. I’m not even focused on all the what if’s. I’m honestly being where my feet are — not only myself, but also this team.”

Second question: Do you have a plan in place for recruiting?

“Yes, sir. I do,” Williams said. “I actually do. One of the things I definitely want to get out to recruits and the rest of the world: only at Auburn do dreams come true. I’m forever indebted to this institution. It changed the whole trajectory of the Williams family.

“I met my wife here; my two boys — Auburn has been so good to me. Every dream I wanted to accomplish, this place gave me the opportunity. Now for me to be in this position, I just want to get it out there: only at Auburn do dreams come true. It’s a lot of guys, from the Bo Jacksons to the Cam Newtons to the Karlos Dansbys to the Carlos Rogers — all the guys that came here and were able to accomplish their dreams and do a lot of great things.”

Williams doesn’t have to convince anyone of who he is and what he represents. All he has to do is be himself. Williams is the real thing, and his opportunity is not by luck or chance. History is here for Auburn with sudden beauty because it was united by common dreams all along.

Joseph Goodman is a columnist for the Alabama Media Group, and author of “We Want Bama: A season of hope and the making of Nick Saban’s ‘ultimate team’”. You can find him on Twitter @JoeGoodmanJr.

The Scarborough article is spot on but he oddly leaves out the 10 ton Elephant nobody discusses: Harsin's bizarre rejection of NIL for over a year. He buys into NIL and we probably keep Nix and half his promising backups that left last winter. Just...odd.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

The Scarborough article is spot on but he oddly leaves out the 10 ton Elephant nobody discusses: Harsin's bizarre rejection of NIL for over a year. He buys into NIL and we probably keep Nix and half his promising backups that left last winter. Just...odd.

My takeaway from his article is that it was mostly forward looking rather than repeating Harsin faults (he has done that many times).