Auburn coaching hot board V2

aubiefifty

For the spaghetti slingers out there, Frank Reich is now available to claim as the next candidate….

On 11/6/2022 at 7:55 AM, Mikey said:

The Lanning guy at Oregon........... I read somewhere on here that he has a $10 million buyout owed to Oregon if he leaves there. Isn't that prohibitive? Who's going to cough up $10 million on top of Harsin's buyout and other expenses associated with a coaching change?

Pretty sure its $14M.  Which is what makes Lanning the riskiest for me….he’s already making close to $5M already so you are probably looking at close to $7M plus that massive buyout for a guy who has been an HC for not even a full season in a pretty weak conference.   He looks like a solid coach, just feel we’d have to overpay for him.  

Yep….$29M/6 years and $14M if he leaves before Jan 31 2023 then it drops to $7M. https://www.si.com/college/oregon/football/dan-lanning-contract-details-released

Edited by AEAugirl
  • Like 1

The logical order to this search to me would be:

1- DS-too many upsides, minimal buyout (as long as salary is in 6-8m/yr. Recruiting possibility is very high IMO. Football possibility is also very high, with heavy NFL experience on his existing staff.

2-HF-risky from potential non-football problems, but really no risk from National perspective. Too many people are tagging him as possible candidate with very small pushback. Football possibility is high IMO, recruiting is a question mark but probably is not a negative but also probably not a high positive either.

3-Aranda/Grimes-I see these basically the same. Aranda Would be great choice, but I doubt he’s listening as I think He is staying. Grimes would be natural next option in my mind. Great recruiting history, successful position coach and successful OC. Only negative would be no HC experience. Low buyout with probably middle of SEC on salary expectations.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

The logical order to this search to me would be:

1- DS-too many upsides, minimal buyout (as long as salary is in 6-8m/yr. Recruiting possibility is very high IMO. Football possibility is also very high, with heavy NFL experience on his existing staff.

2-HF-risky from potential non-football problems, but really no risk from National perspective. Too many people are tagging him as possible candidate with very small pushback. Football possibility is high IMO, recruiting is a question mark but probably is not a negative but also probably not a high positive either.

3-Aranda/Grimes-I see these basically the same. Aranda Would be great choice, but I doubt he’s listening as I think He is staying. Grimes would be natural next option in my mind. Great recruiting history, successful position coach and successful OC. Only negative would be no HC experience. Low buyout with probably middle of SEC on salary expectations.

I do not expect that we can afford 6-8M/yr after the buyouts. No idea about Freeze and Grimes, therefore.

If my suspicion is correct and we truly need someone cheap:
https://twitter.com/brandieeemac/status/1588569867317567488

Edited by AUwent
  • Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, AUwent said:

I do not expect that we can afford 6-8M/yr after the buyouts. No idea about Freeze and Grimes, therefore.

Cheap and likely not to work IMO

On 11/7/2022 at 11:29 AM, CCTAU said:

For the spaghetti slingers out there, Frank Reich is now available to claim as the next candidate….

We don’t need to Rhule out former NFL coaches Reich now!!!

18 minutes ago, AUwent said:

We can go over 100 mil with X  number years

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

I would still take someone the entire fanbase can get behind easily over say Helton--TeamZero made a disturbingly logical prediction there.

Edited by AUwent

38 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Honestly, I don’t disagree. If we can’t get Deion or Lane, let’s just full JABA this thing. Never go half-Barn when you have the option to go full-Barn. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, zeroforwinger said:

Honestly, I don’t disagree. If we can’t get Deion or Lane, let’s just full JABA this thing. Never go half-Barn when you have the option to go full-Barn. 

I believe getting Deion would be as much about …. emotion and passion from us  (we friggin want him, auburn is special/family, he can win championships AND make a difference - and help the hcbu’s) as it is about cash. Send Barkley, Bo, Pearl, and Cohen. And show unity and lust. I like those chances pretty well. Even more than a high salary but luke warm, political feeling approach. He’s an alpha personality of ego and passion).

Another issue may be how much control he’s offered. 

Edited by auburnatl1

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

One of the dumbest things I’ve seen in a long time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

Lets just say multiple sources money will not be a issue. 

When are people going to realize Auburn has BIG money? We’re financially a top 10 brand. I don’t mean that subjectively- quantitatively that’s where we rank.

• Like 2

Lanning seems to be a "hot name" now in this search.  Sports Illustrated claims they have confirmed "mutual interest."  Lanning was asked about it yesterday.  He didn't flat-out deny the reports but did say "The grass isn't always greener." and "I am happy in Eugene and want to stay as long as they will have me."

Denials mean nothing in coaching, but he certainly was much stronger in his denials than both Kiffin and Freeze (who is basically lobbying for the job). 

Lanning checks all the boxes: SEC experience, won championships as a coordinator, young, energetic, and a good (but short) head coaching record. He even turned Bo Nix into a Heisman hopeful.

Will AU take a shot on a guy with only one season behind him?  Will AU pay his huge buyout? Is a guy that young worth a massive contract?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

4 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

We're not going cheap. We have plenty of money

4 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Where that money gonna come from? Tv?

4 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Lets just say multiple sources money will not be a issue. 

It still amuses me that people fail to realize that we are a wealthy university with a large amount of capital to make a splash if the right option is out there... from what I have heard from multiple monet isn't a problem if Cohen gets his guy... time will tell

Edited by Taker

3 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Lumber sales must be good

Have you tried to buy a piece of plywood lately?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Nope. Does the plywood have the little yellow tag? Thought that was just on lumber 

I mean, I guess I could've said 2x4 but the point remains.

While we are on the subject of having the houses money to spend and it not being an issue and we seem to be laced on the moral compass of our next head coach I have 2 names that we need to approach and just offer them the moon. 

John Gruden- Future HOF and SB winning coach 

Sean Payton- Future HOF and SB winning coach

Both have had questionable morals but have Apologized for it and both could recruit... but their biggest downside is that they don't have any SEC experience... sooooooo I guess that would make them a bad fit. 

On 11/7/2022 at 10:13 AM, 1auburn1 said:

Guess who beat S. Miss in 3OT, UAB by 7 and Gardner Webb by 1pt.      Yes, Hugh Freeze and the Flames.    Very inflated record.    Let's stop with this.   Please.

I am not a big Freeze fan but I have to give him his due...he is down to his 3rd string QB and some other critical pieces are out this year but he is 8-1 this year with the latest over Arky and he took it to them if you didn't watch the game...Arky had more depth and Freeze still pulled out the victory...