Feel good aspect of the Harsin Era

AUght2win

I am on board.... the Barfield Era will now be known as just a low point in AU football.... Now the Hard up harsin Era will be the new standard for SUCKING

• Like 1

The one redeeming factor is at least we won in Baton Rouge for the first time…this century? No other upside besides that 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

I love this and thank you for sharing.  It’s not easy to coach at Auburn, as passionate as our fans are.  

Says a lot about how good Auburn is as a program that a guy who had a winning record over 4 years in the SEC was vilified so much. Coach Barfield could have posted these results at many other mid level Power 5 schools and stayed for years - perhaps even having time to grow into an elite coach. I think the Tennessee game in 80 was so intensely bad that everybody forgot his whole tenure wasn’t a disaster. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Taker said:

I am on board.... the Barfield Era will now be known as just a low point in AU football.... Now the Hard up harsin Era will be the new standard for SUCKING

However, I'm sure through no fault of his own, Doug Barfield had to be the worst dressed Auburn coach based on this photo. 

• Haha 7

4 minutes ago, gr82be said:

However, I'm sure through no fault of his own, Doug Barfield had to be the worst dressed Auburn coach based on this photo. 

Apparently style was not on his radar back then lol.... as you can see in the other photo he came around

@AUght2win not to take away from your assessment overall but the W/L record doesn't add up. Looks like he was 27-27-1 overall and 13-16-1 in the SEC. 

Did that reflect a forfeit from someone along the way?

Edited by gr82be

14 minutes ago, gr82be said:

@AUght2win not to take away from your assessment overall but the W/L record doesn't add up. Looks like he was 27-27-1 overall and 13-16-1 in the SEC. 

Did that reflect a forfeit from someone along the way?

Yes I believe so. Miss State had 2 forfeits. But on the field I think he was .500. Don’t quote me on that.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Oh my man, are you not familiar with a man by the name of Gene Chizik?

• Like 1

Every Auburn coach since Barfield has been instrumental in building the Auburn brand, except Harsin. Auburn history will not be kind to him and he deserves it.

BC77CDC8-8D97-48B5-AE4F-D9DFAE6E36F3.jpeg

Edited by AuCivilEng1
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Oh my man, are you not familiar with a man by the name of Gene Chizik?

Whatchu talking bout! Chiz dressed like a pimp! His paisley shirts fueled Auburn’s natty run!

• Haha 1

Also worth noting (I’m not an expert, wasn’t alive during his era so those who were there feel free to chime in or correct) Barfield dealt with NCAA sanctions that prevented him from ever taking his team to a bowl (1979 especially) from infractions that took place prior to his HC tenure. Although, he was on staff when the infractions were committed. Still, another tough obstacle he dealt with. 

2 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

Don’t forget the jersey shorts and the no arms windbreakers. 

The Members Only Jacket of college football.

5 hours ago, gr82be said:

I’d rock the hell outta that ‘fit!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I always gave Coach Barfield a pass because he bought us Brooks and Cribbs and Fast Freddie Smith. Win or lose, those guys made AU football fun to watch. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, api1957 said:

I’d rock the hell outta that ‘fit!!

I want one !!!!!!!!!!!  somebody send me a link and I will wear it the first home game of the new coach. 

8 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Every Auburn coach since Barfield has been instrumental in building the Auburn brand, except Harsin. Auburn history will not be kind to him and he deserves it.

BC77CDC8-8D97-48B5-AE4F-D9DFAE6E36F3.jpeg

Bowden…..eh.  Not sure what was instrumental about his time here, it was full of drama. 

Edited by AEAugirl

1 hour ago, AEAugirl said:

Bowden…..eh.  Not sure what was instrumental about his time here, it was full of drama. 

His first couple of years were huge. And let’s be honest. It was full of drama for the time it was, but Auburn has been surrounded by drama ever since, as well.