Kiffin

auburnatl1

I’ve noticed Prime, Grimes, Rhule, Freeze (I’ll be nice), and many others have all had threads dedicated to them in the past month. Heck Prime sometimes had 2 or 3 going smack-down wild at once.

But for Kiffin. Zero, unless maybe I missed it. I have my own feelings about him, but he’s a strong candidate on paper.    And theoretically he’s a high probability target -  not one thread. In many ranting weeks.

I’m not sure what that means but I just realized it and thought it was strange. If nothing else, he now has a thread.

Edited by auburnatl1

Kiffin is my #1 choice but I can totally see him working a massive deal out with OM. Kinda like we used to do for Gus from time to time if I recall  lol. 

• Like 2

How long would it take Kiffin to build what he’s created at Ole Miss, at Auburn? Next question, would he have time to do that here? Why would he come here and why would we pay him the stupid amount of money to come here?

Edited by sevenlee36
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Grimes is everything people see in Kiffin and is both cheaper and has a cleaner background. Kiffin isn't worth the money it will take to pull him from Ole Miss.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Kiffin is my #1 choice but I can totally see him working a massive deal out with OM. Kinda like we used to do for Gus from time to time if I recall  lol. 

He got a big raise at the end of last year making him the 11th highest paid coach. Not sure what it would take to get him out of it but I expect it would take a lot.  

This is what worries me about Kiffin.  This paragraph was written back in July:

"The Rebels' recruiting class of 2023 is among the smallest in the Power Five, with just five commits — two four-stars and three three-stars. It ranks No. 61 nationally in the 247Sports Composite rankings, No. 13 out of 14 SEC teams and eighth-worst among all Power Five programs. Only Arizona State and Auburn have fewer players committed."

https://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/college/ole-miss/2022/07/10/ole-miss-football-recruiting-rankings-summer-commits-trend-lane-kiffin/7810299001/

I know he is good at getting players from the portal, but I'm not sure that he likes recruiting.

• Like 1

And another one:

“I don’t think Lane cares enough about recruiting to want to have to fight the battle for the kid,” said a coach from South Mississippi. “He’d rather show up, be Ole Miss, and win it.”

“I just don’t think that’s (recruiting) Lane’s shtick,” said the same coach. “Some people think he’s a great recruiter, and I really don’t. I don’t think he gives a s*** about it, to be 100 percent honest. That’s why it wouldn’t surprise me if he left this year.”

https://atozsports.com/nashville/why-lane-kiffin-is-probably-leaving-ole-miss-after-this-season/

2 minutes ago, miscram6 said:

I know he is good at getting players from the portal, but I'm not sure that he likes recruiting.

That is my understanding.  You would have to look at how many HS Coaches has he visited.  People are saying very few.  That is required and Harsin didn't do it either.

I know I’m in the minority, but I’d take a pile of 💩 over Kiffin. He’s what you get if you mix a bammer internet troll with Dan Mullen. He’s older than I am but somehow still half my age in maturity. His defenses consistently suck. His recruiting is decent but not exceptional. I’ll always support Auburn, but I’m definitely going to s*** a chicken if we end up hiring him.

The one thing I like about the AD hire is that he doesn’t like to overspend. We could lure Kiffin away from ole miss for the right price. This AD probably won’t pay it.

As I’ve already gotten an expecte thumbs down, I’m going to steer into my pet peeve. Don’t causally down vote me. If you disagree, prove me wrong. It’s a pussshy move to call me wrong without being able to say how or why.

Edited by ScotsAU
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Dislike 3

12 minutes ago, miscram6 said:

"The Rebels' recruiting class of 2023 is among the smallest in the Power Five, with just five commits — two four-stars and three three-stars. It ranks No. 61 nationally in the 247Sports Composite rankings, No. 13 out of 14 SEC teams and eighth-worst among all Power Five programs. Only Arizona State and Auburn have fewer players committed."

https://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/college/ole-miss/2022/07/10/ole-miss-football-recruiting-rankings-summer-commits-trend-lane-kiffin/7810299001/

So what you’re saying is…he’s an upgrade over Harsin? 😏

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

Grimes is everything people see in Kiffin and is both cheaper and has a cleaner background. Kiffin isn't worth the money it will take to pull him from Ole Miss.

Grimes is more of an unknown across the board. But he would be cheaper for sure. I’d be curious how he’d handle defense. One of my many qualms with Kiffin are that his defenses are not good. 

2 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I just don't think we can afford him after the buyouts.

We could absolutely afford him. Our boosters have deep pockets. The question is could we afford him for a reasonable price. He’s not worth a Jimbo contract.

Kiffin is 100% an upgrade to Harsin, but my feeling is Freeze is a better option.. and Deion is high risk/extreme reward type. 

im prob in the minority, but I think Hugh Freeze may be my top pick by a hair. A hair over Prime (because Freeze has proven he can do it at Ole Miss and more).. With Kiffin, I think you’re always wondering when he will bolt.. eh. Who knows 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, miscram6 said:

Maybe not.  But he’s on pace to do something Auburn hasn’t done since 1988-1989: post back to back 10 win seasons. If he can do that at OM, he can surely do it here. 

• Like 2

First off, I see no reason why he would leave Ole' Miss for Auburn. That doesn't make any sense.

Second, had Kiffin been the AU coach last year when he cost his team the game against AU with all his stupid "metric" 4th down decisions we'd have run him out of town on a rail.

I hope the idea of Kiffin at AU is nothing but idle speculation.

• Like 6
  • Dislike 1

45 minutes ago, miscram6 said:

That's not how he gathers his talent. Ole' Miss was ranked #2 nationally in the portal rankings behind only Southern Cal. https://247sports.com/Season/2022-Football/TransferTeamRankings/

1 hour ago, ScotsAU said:

I know I’m in the minority, but I’d take a pile of 💩 over Kiffin. He’s what you get if you mix a bammer internet troll with Dan Mullen. He’s older than I am but somehow still half my age in maturity. His defenses consistently suck. His recruiting is decent but not exceptional. I’ll always support Auburn, but I’m definitely going to s*** a chicken if we end up hiring him.

The one thing I like about the AD hire is that he doesn’t like to overspend. We could lure Kiffin away from ole miss for the right price. This AD probably won’t pay it.

As I’ve already gotten an expecte thumbs down, I’m going to steer into my pet peeve. Don’t causally down vote me. If you disagree, prove me wrong. It’s a pussshy move to call me wrong without being able to say how or why.

^^^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^

I've tried to figure out who to compare his snarky ass twitter posts to and his coaching style. You summed it perfectly.

Let the fans be snarky. A HC doing it is so freaking immature.

I'm going to s*** a chicken if we don't hire Prime. He's the only realistic candidate that I can't find a single thing about his personality, past, recruiting or coaching style I don't like.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

Now that the trifecta of bad hires has finally passed, it would appear Auburn is trying to go really safe this time. An extremely experienced engineering professor as school president, a very experienced SEC Athletics Director as AD and it would appear to an SEC experienced head football coach.

No idea if we can get Kiffin but he seems like the obvious choice in our current environment. As far as how much it would cost?  Do we want to pay for another buyout, or do we want to pay for the coach? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

it would appear to an SEC experienced head football coach.

No idea if we can get Kiffin but he seems like the obvious choice

To play devil's advocate, Freeze was at Ole Miss 5 seasons. Kiffin is on Year 3.

So for SEC HC experience, Freeze leads them all.

1 hour ago, Viper said:

To play devil's advocate, Freeze was at Ole Miss 5 seasons. Kiffin is on Year 3.

So for SEC HC experience, Freeze leads them all.

True. Safe hire, with SEC head coaching experience and the money to be spent… Stoops may be the best choice. But for whatever reason, no one is even mentioning him.

Freeze would probably be the most affordable, but may be the most risk? I don’t know, just my two cents.

🤷‍♂️

Edited by AU-24

9 hours ago, JBiGGiE said:

Without the HC resume and guiding what will soon be a second 10 win team that’s in the SEC West. C’mon, to compare a career assistant coach to a successful SEC HC is apples and oranges.