2022-23 Coaching Search Thread

Zeek

32 minutes ago, DAG said:

Correct:

If you can't get Giannis, try to get Steph. If you cannot get Steph. Try to get Luka. But don't s*** on Luka because you missed on Giannis and Steph. That is silly.

I’d take Luka over Steph. Luka is 11 years younger. But I’m a Mavs fan, so maybe I’m biased. Get what you’re saying though.

• Like 1

So I'm not sure why there is a lot of folks throwing out Rhules name, I've seen this stat several times says he was 0-11 against ranked teams, yikes. Just not sure why I see his name being brought up, yeah he is available but may not be ready to jump back into coaching but besides that is he really a top 3, at least for me he is not in my top 3, not even in the top 4...Prime, Grimes, Kiffin...now who can you get is a different story...:)

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Nailed it. AU needs immediate impact. Rhule won’t get the time needed to do it his way. To coach at AU the minute your hired the minute your exit interview begins. 

Rhule sure didn’t need much time to turn Baylor around and make it relevant again and that was coming off one of if not the worst scandals in NCAA history. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

JHead seems to think he’s a pretty good recruiter. Rhule apparently is very analytical with his program’s recruiting. Think Harsin, but successful. We may not always have the most 5/4 star guys, and that will probably piss us off, but apparently he’s really good at finding the right players.

Ahhhhhh, not to sure about that approach after what we just went thru

• Like 1

Just now, NWALA Tiger said:

Ahhhhhh, not to sure about that approach after what we just went thru

He has proof of concept. Harsin had none. Harsin stepped into what was essentially the Bama of the WAC. Rhule built two programs up from literal piles a sh*t covered in ashes.

29 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

I gotta be honest . I would not be upset at this one. one of the best coaches in CFB history . Remember Mike Leach so called locked Craig James kid in a closet lol. People can change 

Except Urban has had issues at EVERY. SINGLE. PROGRAM he has been at so it doesn’t appear he has done any “changing”. 

Also pretty sure the Craig James stuff was BS to begin with, and even if it wasn’t Leach didn’t HIT his player like Urban. 

Also don’t recall Leach covering up for a wife beater.

Urban Meyer is a complete POS.  Its why he doesn’t have a coaching job anymore. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

As soon as Kiffin goes for it on 4th & 3 on our own 39, and it backfires some of y’all gonna lose it. It’s his in game coaching that concerns me, and also his desire for the next best thing in coaching. Would not be mad about the hire but like I said he game day coaching concerns me at times. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, PoetTiger said:

As soon as Kiffin goes for it on 4th & 3 on our own 39, and it backfires some of y’all gonna lose it. It’s his in game coaching that concerns me, and also his desire for the next best thing in coaching. Would not be mad about the hire but like I said he game day coaching concerns me at times. 

Yep. Thought that as well 

I still say it's all lining up for Danny Hugh to be the next coach. He isn't my 1st pick, but he might be my 2nd.  The "fit " will be discussed alot during this process. Mostly cause Harsin didn't fit

Edited by NWALA Tiger

One thing is certain. We will have plenty of time to debate who will be AU's next man. 

We will get plenty of insider fodder from people who can't tell us what they know until after it happens and we will all be crazy by the time it happens.... 

Whoever it is, most will not like and say it is another bad hire before he ever gets off the plan. When he does land we will call him a loser or limp biskit or something along those lines. 

In the end we will all still be auburn fans and we will still bleed blue......

BECAUSE "WE" BELIEVE IN AUBURN AND LOVE IT!!!!

WAR D@MN EAGLE

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Just curious. Why would you want the guy who has never proven to be a successful HC over the guy who has proven he can be successful HC at two places that were in the pits before he got there. You don’t rebuild without recruiting and development. No disrespect.

Deion isn't proven and people are clamoring for him. I like Deion and love the recruiting aspect but some of my pushback on him at AU is the inexperience, will we let him bring in who he wants and can our administration and fans actually handle him. Deion will name names and put people in their places if he needs to; and do it publicly sometimes. Can our administration handle that? Is Auburn really ready for PRIME TIME? It's not a bad thing about him at all but i do question if AU is really ready for him. I do applaud us for trying to find out. 

Additionally, say we get to the point we match Bama and UGA recruit for recruit, will the coaching (Xs and Os) be what is required to beat them? Nobody can answer that question at this point. Recruiting and development is key but so is coaching; game day coaching. That's the biggest unknown with Deion in my opinion. So, theoretically, Matt and Grimes should be ahead of Deion on the list. But I'm still willing to take a chance with Deion because if at worst he's not the guy for Xs and Os, he'll leave us with a lot of good talent for the next coach.

I get there's additional positives Deion brings vs say Grimes but Grimes has shown he will bring a good OL and offense. Plus Grimes knows the SEC. I think after this year, we'll have 5 or 6 OL on the roster (someone check my math). We're going to need 5-7 OL next class and most need to be via the portal. I respect MR resume but I'd take Grimes over him.

Edited by WarEagle1983
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Can we get Rayne to tell Kiffen he can't do that?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

I also think Rhule and Kiffin can as well. Auburn will offer a lot of visibility and opportunity for a lot moving players who want a new shot at a different place. 

I agree. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Same. 

Never thought Rhule would be a possibility after learning Carolina paid him 40 mil. No sane person would want to go back to catering to 18 year olds right away after that. Take a few years to vacation or something, lol.

But it sounds like legit buzz. On3 said he was making calls today and that Roberts really likes him, so there's mutual interest. Still hard to believe he'll be the guy, but not as far fetched as thought

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Deion does the same. And i have the same concern with Deion. Honestly, I'd be fine with any of the mentioned coaches. If we get one of them on the list it's a major upgrade in my opinion.

I just think that some people are not looking past the Prime aspect and recruiting.  I don't want us to be like say the Cowboys (my NFL team). Have all the stars (names) but don't execute it on the field when it counts b/c of coaching. I'm not saying Deion can't do it but we simply don't have any evidence/data beyond what we believe he'll provide with recruiting. I think he's a solid Xs and Os coach but it's very hard to evaluate exactly what a coach is capable of when he's coaching against other SWAC schools. I love my HBCUs but it's a reason why they're often on the schedule for an easy cupcake win. Even lower level Power 5s are beating them by 30 - 40+ points. How can we complain about Harsin being out of his depth and not at the least question similar with Deion. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

He’s just not good at it. This hire more than anything else needs to be a elite recruiter. Prime fits the bill. Lane was really good at recruiting at Tennessee and usc. He’s been great recruiting in the portal at ole miss to help bridge the gap with the disadvantages that come with recruiting high school guys at ole miss.

This is my problem with Lane. The only place he stuck around long enough to get a read on him was USC and he failed there at a program that has every resource available.

I'm not saying people can't change, but why do those that want him give him a free pass on this? 

15 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

Maybe this Deion guy…but no Ole Miss is a state school, has access to regional talent, in the SEC, will spend money, they have resources, just not the winning tradition. The more they win and compete with the big boys the better their recruiting can be. 

Maybe Deion could. Im not opposed to Deion just not sure how he would fit at Auburn. And I agree that winning changes everything for a program. 

I just see Kiffin as a coach who is proven he can recruit and coach in the SEC. Simple as that. I would think (hope) he is able to recruit better at Auburn. He has done very well with the transfer portal and has his program in the top 10 because of those transfers and because he is a hell of a coach. 

In terms of recruiting I’m looking at the A&M program and seeing that just because a coach/program can get great recruits doesn’t mean success on the field. 

9 hours ago, bishoptf said:

So I'm not sure why there is a lot of folks throwing out Rhules name, I've seen this stat several times says he was 0-11 against ranked teams, yikes. Just not sure why I see his name being brought up, yeah he is available but may not be ready to jump back into coaching but besides that is he really a top 3, at least for me he is not in my top 3, not even in the top 4...Prime, Grimes, Kiffin...now who can you get is a different story...:)

How do you have grimes over Rhule? Grimes hasn’t coached a single football game as a head coach. And you should go take a deep dive in that 0-11 record. 

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

How do you have grimes over Rhule? Grimes hasn’t coached a single football game as a head coach. And you should go take a deep dive in that 0-11 record. 

No you can't make me do a deep dive... I only look at headlines because they are accurate and not biased by any means...

Edited by autiger88
  • Haha 1

It's obvious Deion is the best choice. Every question about Deion is a similar question with the other candidates. Every what if with Deion is a what if with everybody else

• Like 3
  • Love 1

17 hours ago, Zeek said:

Let's see how many pages this bad boy will reach.

Currently, according to ON3 the hot board includes:

1. Lane Kiffin - allegedly Cohen's #1 choice
  2. Matt Rhule
  3. Deion Sanders
  4. Hugh Freeze
  5. Jeff Grimes
  6. Mark Stoops
  7. Charles Kelly

ON3 implying the focus has already narrowed to four candidates. Matt Rhule, Deion Sanders, Lane Kiffin, and Hugh Freeze. Which is sort of the four we discussed.

Depending on the source either Matt Rhule or Lane Kiffin are priority #1. I’m biased so I’m leaning towards Kiffin sounding more credible. There’s some hurdles there for sure but it’s manageable. 

Mississippi schools can’t give Kiffin a contract longer than 4 years. He also knows the ceiling is lower there and facilities aren’t going to be the same. The question is how long can we wait an salvage the roster? If Kiffin makes the playoffs then it’s going to be rough 

• Thanks 3

10 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

I gotta be honest . I would not be upset at this one. one of the best coaches in CFB history . Remember Mike Leach so called locked Craig James kid in a closet lol. People can change 

Would be a slam dunk hire. It would immediately put Auburn back into relevancy. He would move the needle.

• Like 2
  • Love 1