2022-23 Coaching Search Thread

Zeek

All you pushing Kiffin: Saban is 71 and will likely retire soon- maybe this year if he wins another NC, but if not within next couple years. He has nothing to prove and will be the most in-demand tv analyst. Bammer would love to set us back and hire Kiffin away a couple of years into his rebuild with us. His past shows he would take it to go back and run the whole show where he once ran the offense under Saban.

If he LK left UT and if he leaves Ol Miss, he would most certainly leave us for Bammer. He won't go back to the west coast to his old USC or PAC 12 home, because SEC football is so much more important now- bigger than when he and Sarkasian were at USC for some of that school's golden years prior to the Reggie Bush blowup. 

It should only be Prime Time now. If we don't go after him and get him, he'll eventually end up at another SEC school end of this year or next, or FSU. Or......when Saban retires- Bammer. 

Grimes or Freeze/Auburn vs Deon/Bammer- this is what the end of the Auburn football world would look like. 

• Facepalm 2

11 minutes ago, cole256 said:

As far as kiffin do people think he can do something here that he couldn't do at ole miss? What's the upside?

I’m not personally pro or con on LK.  I think (imo) it’s his experience in the SEC — they know he can coach a stable program and he understands how the SEC operates.  I think it’s a safe choice that they think has a potential to be high reward. 

Earlier point. With Deion being a leading endorser for Under Armor and with AU’s contract. Pretty good chance Plank will be pushing things hard in the back ground.

There are only four individuals who deserve a serious look : Kiffin, Sanders, Rhule and Freeze. Sorry to everyone else.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 5

Just now, DAG said:

There are only four individuals who deserve : Kiffin, Sanders, Rhule and Freeze. Sorry to everyone else.

Why do I only see three? 😁

• Like 1

This pains me. I love me some hugh Freeze but I think you absolutely have to go Deion Sanders here. It’s too much momentum and pub not too. Not to mention he is doing a lot at the SWAC level.

my list:

Deion Sanders 

Hugh Freeze 

Lane Train

Rhule. 

do NOT touch grimes or anyone else 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

Does anybody else look at the board members and what they want and it confirms in you that you are making the right decision?

I feel good about the people that constantly disagree with me. I feel good about the people I'm cordial too and my friends on here. It just helps me feel balanced and lets me know I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing on here. Pretty much if you are so loyal to Georgia that you put it in your board name and you're old of course you are going to dislike me. If you care about something as stupid as wearing your hat straight then yes you dislike me and stuff like that. I'm good with that.

The people I see talk bad about Sanders or running around to throw shots for no reason I'm glad we're on the opposite side of the fence. That's the way it should be in my opinion. There's no friends that make me think oh wait maybe I'm wrong here

• Love 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, DAG said:

This pains me. I love me some hugh Freeze but I think you absolutely have to go Deion Sanders here. It’s too much momentum and pub not too. Not to mention he is doing a lot at the SWAC level.

my list:

Deion Sanders 

Hugh Freeze 

Lane Train

Rhule. 

do NOT touch grimes or anyone else 

Hugh Freeze is still number one on my list. I am not against Deion but just don’t see it . Still gotta try and let him say no. As of Saturday he uttered that he didn’t plan to go anywhere but will listen. Saban said something similar and still ended up at Bama. Let’s see how this plays out. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

Rhule is a no brainer.

Yeah if you watched his Panthers teams and seen how they've played without him he definitely has no brain. 

Signed, 

Lifelong Panthers fan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I worry about Kiffen and recruiting.  But he does great in the portal 

He has to be good in the portal at Ole Miss b/c they're not going to win battles with major 4 and 5 stars. He was able to recruit fine at Tenn and USC. We know we'll have a QB and offense that can actually score under him. Just have to make sure he has someone that can do the same for defense. I'm tired of having a lack luster offense and QBs. Teams must score in today's college football and we have not been able to do that consistently in a long time. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

That’s probably the short list of names, but I hate the order. 

Kiffin

Pros- Lots on paper of him as a head coach. Great offenses. Good recruiter.

Cons- he’s a pompous a-joke and an internet troll. His defenses are never good. Every game ends up being a shoot out. Not the best cultural fit for our program.

Freeze

Pros: Lots on paper of him as a head coach. Runs a pretty Malzahn style offense, but is better at it than Malzahn. Fielded decent defenses at Ole Miss.

Cons- Odd/questionable values and baggage. Hard to tell how much of his success at OM was due to the illegal stuff behind the scenes. He runs a very Malzahn offense. (will that work in the sec anymore?)

Deion

Pros: Dynamite Recruiter. Charismatic. Seems to have success in everything he does. Taken at his word, he seems to be really legitimately enjoying coaching. As a school that’s always expected a coach to be a mentor on and off the field, he appears to check that box.

Cons: Not a lot of experience, so high risk. Some folks think he’s all talk, and that his interest in mentoring players is all BS. 

Grimes

Pros: Experience in the SECand at Auburn. Generally has good offenses. Has a history of building good offensive lines, which lord knows we need right now. Runs a versatile offense, but actually plays to the strengths of his players. 
Cons: No head coach experience. Not a splash hire that most Auburn fans seem to need. 

Stoops

Pros: Knows how to recruit against schools with more prestige. Seems to be a guy that changes philosophy as the game changes. Has shown he can build a program from nothing to relevance.

Cons: A defensive guy in an offensive league. Was never able to get UK past slightly relevant (could be UK’s prestige, stoops, or both).

Matt Rhule

Pros: Built Baylor up from the ashes.

Cons: Left Baylor and Carolina in ruins after he left.

Ill also bite on the Mike Leach following the AD idea. Leach is a fascinating person. He’s very opinionated, which I think would cause problems with our boosters. I also think his offense is great at playing spoiler, but not the kind of offense to get you into the championship caliber circle. 

Those are the options I see as most legitimate right now. Given this list, I’d go (best to worst for Auburn job): Prime, Grimes, Freeze, Stoops, Kiffin, Leach, Rhule.

I know I’m about to catch flak for where I put Kiffin. I just think he’s overhyped and simultaneously a bad fit for Auburn’s culture. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

He has to be good in the portal at Ole Miss b/c they're not going to win battles with major 4 and 5 stars. He was able to recruit fine at Tenn and USC. We know we'll have a QB and offense that can actually score under him. Just have to make sure he has someone that can do the same for defense. I'm tired of having a lack luster offense and QBs. Teams must score in today's college football and we have not been able to do that consistently in a long time. 

Good points.

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

So who has actually seen or read Sanders saying he wants to make HBCU's relevant?

No one. In fact, he said on game day and in other interviews that he’d absolutely entertain power 5 offers.

30 minutes ago, DAG said:

There are only four individuals who deserve a serious look : Kiffin, Sanders, Rhule and Freeze. Sorry to everyone else.

I agree , except not sure on Ruhle. Don't know enuf about him

• Like 2

Just now, NWALA Tiger said:

I agree , except not sure on Ruhle. Don't know enuf about him

Great program builder but lacked winning that pivotal game at both Temple and Baylor. Also can he recruit at a high volume ?

He is fourth to me 

• Thanks 1

Just now, DAG said:

Great program builder but lacked winning that pivotal game at both Temple and Baylor. Also can he recruit at a high volume ?

He is fourth to me 

Let me ask u this. What type of coach is Sanders? CEO type or does he call his own plays? I get the recruiting part. I'm more interested in him assembling a staff and what it would look like