2022-23 Coaching Search Thread

Zeek

14 minutes ago, woodford said:

He has such a great PR team it's hard to see past the character that is Prime. I know recruiting would be great but there are zero data points to show that he could bring success at this level.

The plus side is that character and publicity could spark the quick turnaround in talent we'll need in the portal and ongoing recruiting. But I suspect it would come at a stiff price and I'm not sure how much Auburn wants to pay for a short term boost. Can Deion put an offense on the field that's competitive against top level defenses? Can he field a defense to defend the more high octane offenses appearing in the SEC? I don't know. I'm not sure anyone does. It would be the biggest risk/reward proposition of the names being mentioned outside of Hugh Freeze. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, woodford said:

Dan Lanning should get a call

He won't just because his buy out is massive right now... But I agree if it wasn't so large he would be on my short list. 

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

No harsin had consistent non power 5 experience . That is not in the same stratosphere .  Then he jumped with the sharks and got ate. It is one thing to be a shark in a pond (Boise state) . But when you aren’t the only shark nor the biggest, that is a major difference.

To me it tells me “At the very least I know he can do this at this level.”

There is nothing you can point to in Deion’s resume that says he can win 10 games here. He has a lot of potential and probably the biggest upside . But I am not going to down play the achievement of the other coaches either to prop up Deion, who is my #1. 

I like Deion a lot and there are things that he does that make me think wow he can be very successful up here. However, it is still based on 99 percent of potential. 

To me there's nothing on anybody 's resume that tells me they can win 10 games here. I'm not downplaying anybody I'm literally saying if I had to bet MY money or house or whatever there's nothing that anybody offers that says anything is definite or even probable. 

Also the way I look at it I can't think of many coaches that bring in a bunch of talent that consistently performs bad. Recruiting is the closest variable that we have that correlates to success.

But anyway appreciate the chat, looks like I'm becoming more unpopular since I'm not interested in fights anymore. Just looking for great convos

Just now, cole256 said:

To me there's nothing on anybody 's resume that tells me they can win 10 games here. I'm not downplaying anybody I'm literally saying if I had to bet MY money or house or whatever there's nothing that anybody offers that says anything is definite or even probable. 

Also the way I look at it I can't think of many coaches that bring in a bunch of talent that consistently performs bad. Recruiting is the closest variable that we have that correlates to success.

But anyway appreciate the chat, looks like I'm becoming more unpopular since I'm not interested in fights anymore. Just looking for great convos

Well Lane Kiffin won 10 games before in the SEC? That’s a fact . I mean we will just have to agree to disagree on this front. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Its been, what?  30 plus years since Auburn had back to back 10 win seasons?  Coach Dye 88-89?  I think. 

So yeah the odds are not great we will find that with any hire given the history of our program.  

I just don't think there are any sure things in college football anymore.  Scott Frost was supposed to resurrect the Nebraska program...ouch...Jimbo was supposed to be in the playoff by now...ouch...Venables...shaky start to say the least at OU...

All things considered I'm hoping for the energy and positive recruiting press Prime would bring.  Then we'll see about the rest.  Auburn needs to do something different this time than same old same old.  Grimes would be the typical Auburn hire.  We don't need typical this time around. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Well Lane Kiffin won 10 games before in the SEC? That’s a fact . I mean we will just have to agree to disagree on this front. 

Auburn now is not the Auburn you are used to. Not the same prestige. Not the same recruiting expectation, but our 2 rivals are stronger has more of a lock on their states. But yes I said earlier we can agree to disagree. 

4 minutes ago, Tigers77 said:

Its been, what?  30 plus years since Auburn had back to back 10 win seasons?  Coach Dye 88-89?  I think. 

So yeah the odds are not great we will find that with any hire given the history of our program.  

I just don't think there are any sure things in college football anymore.  Scott Frost was supposed to resurrect the Nebraska program...ouch...Jimbo was supposed to be in the playoff by now...ouch...Venables...shaky start to say the least at OU...

All things considered I'm hoping for the energy and positive recruiting press Prime would bring.  Then we'll see about the rest.  Auburn needs to do something different this time than same old same old.  Grimes would be the typical Auburn hire.  We don't need typical this time around. 

You see a similar vision as me. There's nobody walking that could consistently beat our schedule consistently with lesser talent. We will either upgrade our talent or we will be a lesser team than those others. 

You will have to use an anamoly to argue that. There aren't a bunch of examples of a team that consistently brought in talent that's not successful

Edited by cole256
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tigers77 said:

Let me tell you, Energy and Positivity until you don't win. Ask the Aggies how excited they are at the moment. They were full of laughter with that #1 recruiting class. Auburn needs to take their time and get this right. Just wish our fans would be objective. Too many people looking at one solving lining versus the whole picture.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, aucom96 said:

The plus side is that character and publicity could spark the quick turnaround in talent we'll need in the portal and ongoing recruiting. But I suspect it would come at a stiff price and I'm not sure how much Auburn wants to pay for a short term boost. Can Deion put an offense on the field that's competitive against top level defenses? Can he field a defense to defend the more high octane offenses appearing in the SEC? I don't know. I'm not sure anyone does. It would be the biggest risk/reward proposition of the names being mentioned outside of Hugh Freeze. 

That is why he would be a CEO/Recruiting type coach and hire a good OC and DC and let them run their sides of the ball.

Jeff Grimes - He can coach up offensive linemen we need that

Matt Rhule - He is a program rebuilder we need that

Lane Kiffin - He can win 10 back to back games we need that

Deion Sanders - Publicity and energy we need that

Hugh Freeze - successful experience every we need that

All of that is literally one aspect of coaching. Look at the whole picture and see where we need to go.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, roe4christ said:

That is why he would be a CEO/Recruiting type coach and hire a good OC and DC and let them run their sides of the ball.

Is that the sort of head coach he is now? I just don't know. It would be exciting, but there are no guarantees and I suspect we'd have to spend as much or more to get Sanders than anyone else that's been mentioned. 

Just now, aucom96 said:

Is that the sort of head coach he is now? I just don't know. It would be exciting, but there are no guarantees and I suspect we'd have to spend as much or more to get Sanders than anyone else that's been mentioned. 

Doubt that. Lane Kiffin would be the most expensive to get. I think DS is just looking for the opportunity. Lot's of people talk a big game. Give him the opportunity.

Auburn people just have a tendency in thinking stuff is different for them.  Also the whole I have to see it before it can be done is that traditional thinking that gives you a slow painful death. 

There's much more in people than most can look and see on a piece of paper. Then half the stuff that is said isn't even true on here.

How can you solve a problem when the variables given isn't even correct?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, cole256 said:

As long as I can keep as good as your angelic rebuttals that you seem to always come to me with but then never can expound. Just come in have some reason to disagree and disappear to get ready for tomorrow. Just don't see the point

I gave you a rebuttal.   Comparing the the time when Muschamp was here to today’s environment, is like trying to compare offense’s from the 70’s to today’s football.   Players consistently show that they will leave faster now than ever.   Your opinion, just like mine, is just that an opinion.   You don’t know what will happen, just like I don’t.   But yet, you somehow think that people aren’t allowed to question your opinion after you post a comment.   That’s an interesting concept on a message board.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Quite frankly all four of these candidates heck five can be successful here. These guys aren't paying y'all bills lol. All of them have pros and cons. The trajectory is just different with all of them. I would be content with every single one of them

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Quite frankly all four of these candidates heck five can be successful here. These guys aren't paying y'all bills lol. All of them have pros and cons. The trajectory is just different with all of them. I would be content with every single one of them

They are all better then Harsin...  Of course that's not a very hard thing to do... 

1 minute ago, autiger88 said:

They are all better then Harsin...  Of course that's not a very hard thing to do... 

lmao true statement. 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yeah. Like him or not Kiffin has proved he can win in the SEC with both Bama recruits and his own in. This fact is not debatable. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, autiger88 said:

it’s an exciting time to be an Auburn fan 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

I gave you a rebuttal.   Comparing the the time when Muschamp was here to today’s environment, is like trying to compare offense’s from the 70’s to today’s football.   Players consistently show that they will leave faster now than ever.   Your opinion, just like mine, is just that an opinion.   You don’t know what will happen, just like I don’t.   But yet, you somehow think that people aren’t allowed to question your opinion after you post a comment.   That’s an interesting concept on a message board.  

Now you are just making up stuff. Look I'm not trying to argue with you and you just didn't understand what I was saying and that's fine. But I'm not looking to argue all that will lead to is a bunch of people I don't know piling on because I share an opinion they don't have. 

Then as soon as a reply it will be I'm the one starting problems. So whatever you saying I'm saying ok but you really just didn't understand what I initially said to you and of course you went to the aren't allowed to question you stuff. 

I don't feel what you said is correct at all, I just don't want to argue with more than one person at a time.

You already see a guy that neither one of us was talking to trying to start stuff up. Continuing going back and forth with you would just increase that number

I'm not gonna lie I wouldnt be mad if Kiffen got it but I do know that I would be pissed during games a lot due to some of his calls... But if he won I wouldn't stay mad long. 

Edited by autiger88

Just now, DAG said:

it’s an exciting time to be an Auburn fan 

Now it is there is hope again on the horizon and with us going against the grain and hiring a non JABA AD it does give me hope that we will actually hire a non JABA football coach as well... 

I'm not gonna lie I wouldny be mad if Kiffen got it but I do know that I would be pissed during games a lot due to some of his calls... But if he won I wouldn't stay mad long. 

Yes you would stay mad!

I just disagreed with you to give you 5 more likes 😂

• Haha 1

I'm not gonna lie I wouldny be mad if Kiffen got it but I do know that I would be pissed during games a lot due to some of his calls... But if he won I wouldn't stay mad long. 

Oh he is going to have those for sure . You would only be mad about freeze smh. You shouldn’t be mad at all!

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

As far as kiffen why would we expect anything different than what he's doing at ole miss? Same division, same resources.....He's never had a team that was scary good.....I feel like what you see is what you will get

Same resources???