2022-23 Coaching Search Thread

Zeek

Just now, W.E.D said:

Outside 1 game is really that different?  Hell, I'd love to have back to back 9 win season, lol.

Ole Miss HS classes are worse than Harsin's.  They are 20-30s.  Change that to top 10 class, which has been shown do-able with a little effort (and cash), and pair it with his ability to recruit in the portal and he has more talent.

Any coach that comes in there should be expected to get a top 10 class & talent in the portal.  It's not unreasonable.

Well yeah he's absolutely better than Harsin. I don't want to sound like he's not.

I know Mississippi schools rely heavy on miss talent, coming here he won't have that, but coming here you have to deal with not being able to recruit your state and now uga has taken over Georgia. I feel like Lane can do some things with talent, it's just going to be very hard to get talent here with him I think

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Bro could you just come in and complain to somebody else posts everyday? Spread your love out a bit. No need to waste your time with me

Sure thing bro! Thought this was a message board.  My bad.   Keep putting out your wonderful insight.   It’s always interesting to read.  

11 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

He'll have better talent here overall and more consistently. 

Tubs elevated here.. I don't think it's really a wild thought you get better teams going from a top 50 school to a top 15

Lane is looking at back to back 10 win seasons, something they've never done and we've only done once.

I do have concerns about a few things with Lane. His defenses scare me. His HS recruiting is really meh..but it's Ole Miss and he had good classes at UT/USC. He makes some dumb in game decisions based off analytics.

Kiffin did a podcast interview recently and the host asked him if he could go back 15 years, would he do anything different. Lane joked and said he would bet on football games because he would already know the final score since he was going back in time. 

But he got serious and he said "If I could change one thing in my life, I would've never left Tennessee." 

I've always thought that if he had stayed there, as young as he was, Tennessee would've been a scary team with a mature Kiffin coaching them. 

• Like 3

Deion Sanders could be Dabo 2.0 or Jimbo 2.0 without the championships. We have no clue. That is my Con for Deion. That’s the risk you take with him. 

the other candidates risk have been talked about over and over 

but the people need to stop with the Jeff Grimes, Todd Monkens of the world. Even this Charles Kelly. He is a coordinator at best 

• Like 2

Just now, aubaseball said:

Sure thing bro! Thought this was a message board.  My bad.   Keep putting out your wonderful insight.   It’s always interesting to read.  

As long as I can keep as good as your angelic rebuttals that you seem to always come to me with but then never can expound. Just come in have some reason to disagree and disappear to get ready for tomorrow. Just don't see the point

Just now, DAG said:

Deion Sanders could be Dabo 2.0 or Jimbo 2.0 without the championships. We have no clue. That is my Con for Deion. That’s the risk you take with him. 

the other candidates risk have been talked about over and over 

but the people need to stop with the Jeff Grimes, Todd Monkens of the world. Even this Charles Kelly. He is a coordinator at best 

But that's a con for everybody is my point. We can say everybody may do good or may do bad. Might as well take the known benefit of upswing in perception and recruiting for the future

3 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Put him on ignore. It's helped many of us here keep our sanity.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Lol who are these people? "Us"? Nobody even knows you or yet alone read your posts

Edited by cole256
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

But that's a con for everybody is my point. We can say everybody may do good or may do bad. Might as well take the known benefit of upswing in perception and recruiting for the future

That is not a con for everybody because Lane Kiffin and others have consistent experience you can point to and say , aha. We literally have no clue at this level. That’s just a fair point. We have no clue if he would be successful here. He has a lot of potential. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DAG said:

Deion Sanders is my #1 but let's not Kidd ourselves. We have no clue how he would compete at this level. I believe he can get us relevant, he would have a lot of support and our recruiting would change, but that in itself doesn''t mean anything until the results are on the field. Every single candidate has pros and cons unless you are NS or Dabo

He has such a great PR team it's hard to see past the character that is Prime. I know recruiting would be great but there are zero data points to show that he could bring success at this level.

Bud Elliott made a great point Cohen probably knows the good and bad of Deion from being in the same state and hearing things. I think we could trust his judgement, maybe? Who knows. Kiffin's lack of defense is a major red flag and should eliminate him as a serious candidate.

I was excited yesterday but now I'm back to being bummed because I know it will be a lackluster hire.

5 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I know Mississippi schools rely heavy on miss talent, coming here he won't have that, but coming here you have to deal with not being able to recruit your state and now uga has taken over Georgia. I feel like Lane can do some things with talent, it's just going to be very hard to get talent here with him I think

I feel like this is overstated and excuse making.  There is more recruiting talent surrounding Auburn than in Mississippi and much more pull for us.  Even with UGA/Bama where they are.

I believe both Lane or Deion will be highly successful upping our talent.  Deion will be ahead, but I don't think by a wide margin.  He's my #1.  He'll change the culture and viewpoint of our school quickly.  Lane is a close 2nd and I think will still be a good hire.  Everyone else is way back in the distance.

1 minute ago, woodford said:

He has such a great PR team it's hard to see past the character that is Prime. I know recruiting would be great but there are zero data points to show that he could bring success at this level.

Bud Elliott made a great point Cohen probably knows the good and bad of Deion from being in the same state and hearing things. I think we could trust his judgement, maybe? Who knows. Kiffin's lack of defense is a major red flag and should eliminate him as a serious candidate.

I was excited yesterday but now I'm back to being bummed because I know it will be a lackluster hire.

I would be happy for either four potential candidates. They all have pros and cons where the trajectory would be a little different for each.

Now if it is Jeff Grimes or anyone else I am going to be like WTF.

5 minutes ago, TeamZero77 said:

Put him on ignore. It's helped many of us here keep our sanity.

lmao

Just now, woodford said:

Dan Lanning should get a call

His buyout is supposedly up there or else I believe he would 

1 minute ago, woodford said:

Dan Lanning should get a call

He's got a 15mm buyout.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

That is not a con for everybody because Lane Kiffin and others have consistent experience you can point to and say , aha. We literally have no clue at this level. That’s just a fair point. We have no clue if he would be successful here. He has a lot of potential. 

Well Harsin had that consistent experience elsewhere and got here and went complete idiot. I don't think consistent experience tell you anything. Like you mentioned jimbo what he looked like at FSU is different at A&M.

No matter to what people point too nothing is guaranteed. The closest thing to a guarantee is what we know what will happen as far as recruiting.

I mean even with the people talking points about Sanders on here literally don't know what they are talking about so base anything on that why? I can only think they are probably making stuff up with the other coaches too, and I mention that as far as a debate on this forum goes. Most points are probably invalid. As far as a debate go

• Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, woodford said:

I think whoever we hire, they're gonna have an area or 2 that's concerning. Kiffin and his defense, Deion and his lack of experience on this level, Matt Rhule and his bad record vs ranked teams and so on. 

At this juncture, we have some cons that would keep great coaches from taking this job. They may worry about the new president and AD, or having to recruit and coach against a Bama and UGA team that's having their best runs in team history, or a roster that has average talent and depth, or worried they may not get enough time to turn it around, etc. 

It sucks to think that this is Auburn's current reality but it's the truth. So anybody that we truly have a shot at hiring, they're gonna have a few drawbacks. 

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

These guys are hilarious. Don't know 80% of them

Always laugh at these folks crying about ignoring ppl

6 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I feel like this is overstated and excuse making.  There is more recruiting talent surrounding Auburn than in Mississippi and much more pull for us.  Even with UGA/Bama where they are.

I believe both Lane or Deion will be highly successful upping our talent.  Deion will be ahead, but I don't think by a wide margin.  He's my #1.  He'll change the culture and viewpoint of our school quickly.  Lane is a close 2nd and I think will still be a good hire.  Everyone else is way back in the distance.

I guess we will see but I completely disagree with the talent surrounding thing. You know me well enough to know I just don't make up stuff. Harsin got us black balled. I don't know if kiffen just fixes that immediately or not. But it's not going to be easy here at first at all

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Well Harsin had that consistent experience elsewhere and got here and went complete idiot. I don't think consistent experience tell you anything. Like you mentioned jimbo what he looked like at FSU is different at A&M.

No matter to what people point too nothing is guaranteed. The closest thing to a guarantee is what we know what will happen as far as recruiting.

I mean even with the people talking points about Sanders on here literally don't know what they are talking about so base anything on that why? I can only think they are probably making stuff up with the other coaches too, and I mention that as far as a debate on this forum goes. Most points are probably invalid. As far as a debate go

No harsin had consistent non power 5 experience . That is not in the same stratosphere .  Then he jumped with the sharks and got ate. It is one thing to be a shark in a pond (Boise state) . But when you aren’t the only shark nor the biggest, that is a major difference.

To me it tells me “At the very least I know he can do this at this level.”

There is nothing you can point to in Deion’s resume that says he can win 10 games here. He has a lot of potential and probably the biggest upside . But I am not going to down play the achievement of the other coaches either to prop up Deion, who is my #1. 

I like Deion a lot and there are things that he does that make me think wow he can be very successful up here. However, it is still based on 99 percent of potential. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

I guess we will see but I completely disagree with the talent surrounding thing. You know me well enough to know I just don't make up stuff. Harsin got us black balled. I don't know if kiffen just fixes that immediately or not. But it's not going to be easy here at first at all

It's an opinion that we disagree on, it's not either of us making things up.  

Yeah, Harsin was a disaster beyond anything anyone could really imagine.  Firing him was the first step.