2022-23 Coaching Search Thread

Zeek

1 hour ago, autiger88 said:

Same...😂 I don't even know if this board will be able to handle the traffic if Prime is named HC... Lmao 

y48Y8l.gif

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

I thinks it’s a valid for people to have questions and concerns about Deion, and those that do should not be dragged for it. He gets an A+ in a lot of areas, but he does not go without question and although he does check a lot of boxes he does not check them all. And before the Deion torch and pitchfork mob comes for me, he is my preferred choice (1a. Deion 1b. Rhule) I also like Dan Quinn and Dan Lanning, with Ken Dorsey (Bills OC) being an out of the nowhere candidate. 

Other than P5 HC experience, what boxes does he not check?

ContentThriftyDalmatian-size_restricted.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, ScotsAU said:

That’s probably the short list of names, but I hate the order. 

Kiffin

Pros- Lots on paper of him as a head coach. Great offenses. Good recruiter.

Cons- he’s a pompous a-joke and an internet troll. His defenses are never good. Every game ends up being a shoot out. Not the best cultural fit for our program.

Freeze

Pros: Lots on paper of him as a head coach. Runs a pretty Malzahn style offense, but is better at it than Malzahn. Fielded decent defenses at Ole Miss.

Cons- Odd/questionable values and baggage. Hard to tell how much of his success at OM was due to the illegal stuff behind the scenes. He runs a very Malzahn offense. (will that work in the sec anymore?)

Deion

Pros: Dynamite Recruiter. Charismatic. Seems to have success in everything he does. Taken at his word, he seems to be really legitimately enjoying coaching. As a school that’s always expected a coach to be a mentor on and off the field, he appears to check that box.

Cons: Not a lot of experience, so high risk. Some folks think he’s all talk, and that his interest in mentoring players is all BS. 

Grimes

Pros: Experience in the SECand at Auburn. Generally has good offenses. Has a history of building good offensive lines, which lord knows we need right now. Runs a versatile offense, but actually plays to the strengths of his players. 
Cons: No head coach experience. Not a splash hire that most Auburn fans seem to need. 

Stoops

Pros: Knows how to recruit against schools with more prestige. Seems to be a guy that changes philosophy as the game changes. Has shown he can build a program from nothing to relevance.

Cons: A defensive guy in an offensive league. Was never able to get UK past slightly relevant (could be UK’s prestige, stoops, or both).

Matt Rhule

Pros: Built Baylor up from the ashes.

Cons: Left Baylor and Carolina in ruins after he left.

Ill also bite on the Mike Leach following the AD idea. Leach is a fascinating person. He’s very opinionated, which I think would cause problems with our boosters. I also think his offense is great at playing spoiler, but not the kind of offense to get you into the championship caliber circle. 

Those are the options I see as most legitimate right now. Given this list, I’d go (best to worst for Auburn job): Prime, Grimes, Freeze, Stoops, Kiffin, Leach, Rhule.

I know I’m about to catch flak for where I put Kiffin. I just think he’s overhyped and simultaneously a bad fit for Auburn’s culture. 

Nice writeup. To me Deion and Grimes are 1a and 1b with Rhule and Stoops next. I go back and forth on Deion and Grimes as to which should be 1a and which should be 1b. I would be very happy with either.    Like you I am not that impressed by Kiffin yes his offenses score but his defenses are always weak.  Years ago the saying was you win with defense. The modern offenses and rule changes have changed that to an extent but to win the big games where both teams usually have strong offenses the difference is the team that gets a few key stops. That is not what happens with a Kiffin team.

Stoops isn't flashy but will build a winning program but will need time. Rhule is intriguing I see both sides of the argument when people talk about him. One key advantage if we did think Rhule is our man assuming we could convince him he could start immediately at least in keeping recruits and finding others.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

I thinks it’s a valid for people to have questions and concerns about Deion, and those that do should not be dragged for it. He gets an A+ in a lot of areas, but he does not go without question and although he does check a lot of boxes he does not check them all. And before the Deion torch and pitchfork mob comes for me, he is my preferred choice (1a. Deion 1b. Rhule) I also like Dan Quinn and Dan Lanning, with Ken Dorsey (Bills OC) being an out of the nowhere candidate. 

Where did I drag anyone for their opinion? You got that out of my response to part of Viper's post? Really?

😄  Basically dodged an answer. Well played Prime. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

He’s a pro in trolling lol. Hope AU is taking him seriously 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bro Johnny Mac said:

I’m a 54 year old grand father...

Im wanting Prime! Surely I’m not the only old dude wanting him😆

You are not, I'm a 70-year old grand dad and am onboard with hiring Deion.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Because he’s already been hired. 😂🤞

Edited by Auburn Tiger
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, woodford said:

You want to a hire a coach who will win and sell tickets. The moment you ignore your customers (us who watch on TV and buy tickets) is the beginning of the end of your tenure.

I think you may be communicating the other side of the same coin.    What 18-22 year olds, AU administration, boosters, keyboard gurus, and casual fans all have in common is they all want to win!!!!!   Winning really does solve (almost) everything!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Viper said:

ContentThriftyDalmatian-size_restricted.

Recruiting against other elite SEC coaches. Right now he kicking ass against a bunch of no names in the SWAC. Coaching against teams with comparable or better talent, Right now JSU is flat out better than anyone in the SWAC. They can just roll their helmet on the field and win. Also see Celebration Bowl 2021 vs South Carolina State, where Ollie Pugh out coached Deion with far less talent. Yeah he is the number candidate in the club house but it is fair for him to be questioned just like all other potential candidates. Are his overall strengths enough to compensate for potential weaknesses?

14 minutes ago, Auburn Tiger said:

Because he’s already been hired. 😂🤞

That would be AUsome news to hear  the day after the Iron Bowl... 😁 One can hope. 

Edited by autiger88
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Where did I drag anyone for their opinion? You got that out of my response to part of Viper's post? Really?

Oh my bad of course not…lol

• Facepalm 1

6 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Recruiting against other elite SEC coaches. Right now he kicking ass against a bunch of no names in the SWAC. Coaching against teams with comparable or better talent, Right now JSU is flat out better than anyone in the SWAC. They can just roll their helmet on the field and win. Also see Celebration Bowl 2021 vs South Carolina State, where Ollie Pugh out coached Deion with far less talent. Yeah he is the number candidate in the club house but it is fair for him to be questioned just like all other potential candidates. Are his overall strengths enough to compensate for potential weaknesses?

Of course it's ok to ask and hear people's answer but if it's the same questions over and over again that's been answerd ad nauseam in the 3 other Prime threads it gets old... 

All the candidates have their weaknesses and their strengths. 

Edited by autiger88

2 hours ago, Bro Johnny Mac said:

I’m a 54 year old grand father...

Im wanting Prime! Surely I’m not the only old dude wanting him😆

Heck, I'm 20 years older than you and I'd like to see  Deion as the HC too. I guess I'm hip and all that, lol.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

He’s already gone toe to toe with Saban over a Top 250 O-Lineman.

I’ll say it till the end of time. Recruiting is all that matters. Build it (blue chips) and they (great assistants) will come.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, msza said:

Not sure if Harsin should be a reference point for a future coach's performance.

im not saying that. im saying we are where we are with harsin. the chance its going to get worse with prime is incredibly small but the chance he could be outstanding is much high. even if he is as bad as harsin was (which would very difficult) Auburn isn't any worse off in the grand scheme. Auburn is a going concern so to speak, its not going anywhere. if we make 10 bad hires in a row, there will still be an 11th hire to try and make up for it.

don't let the fear of striking out keep you from swinging.

3 hours ago, gctiger said:

He’s entitled to his opinion just the same as I am to mine.  As a lifetime alum I feel zero frustration and I’’m quite happy that the administration is doing their proper due diligence instead of rushing to judgement to hire a flash in the pan!

Lifetime alum? Like you were born as an alum? Is anything not aged like fine wine considered a "flash in the pan"? 

47 minutes ago, Viper said:

He’s already gone toe to toe with Saban over a Top 250 O-Lineman.

I’ll say it till the end of time. Recruiting is all that matters. Build it (blue chips) and they (great assistants) will come.

Jimbo may be the exception 

1 hour ago, PoetTiger said:

So, ya like Deon or anyone else that would be JABA...

1 hour ago, PoetTiger said:

Yes they pretty much are.

6 minutes ago, WarEagleT said:

Lifetime alum? Like you were born as an alum? Is anything not aged like fine wine considered a "flash in the pan"? 

I’ve got a lifetime membership in the Alumni Association because I paid a higher amount of dues upon graduation, rather than a lower amount of dues for an annual membership.  Anyone that knows much about Auburn would know this.  The answer to your second question is maybe…

Edited by gctiger

8 hours ago, Viper said:

Not too many, that's for sure. The ONLY thing we don't know is whether Deion can handle the larger scope necessary to be a successful HC in the SEC. That is something none of us can know for sure. On the other side of the equation, he has most of the traits already going for him that check the boxes of a real leader. So you just have to consider everything and make a decision. I personally think he will do an excellent job for Auburn and it's a risk worth taking to achieve the desired reward. 

Edited by IronMan70
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

So *are* we in a better position than the last search? I think I speak for everyone when I say I don't want to be forced to settle for Charles Kelly--FSU hated him as DC. If we were to get that desperate (and if Caddy doesn't do unexpectedly well over the next month, like 3-1 and a close loss to the Turds), Dell should be the pick.

Of everyone Zeek listed, here's my preference--not by how realistic I think they'd be, because I see no way we could afford Kiffin:

Sanders
Kiffin
Freeze
Grimes

Stoops

Rhule

Kelly

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

My list in no order:

Will Muschamp

Rhett Lashlee

Travis Williams

Bill obrien

Dan Mullen

BTW- I am attempting to buck the system. Everytime I (as most of us) have given a list it ends up being someone not remotely close to being on that list. Seriously though, to me there are only 3 names- Rhule, Prime and Freeze.

image.jpeg

• Haha 2