Will we need a qb for next year?

gr82b4au

4 hours ago, Tiger said:

Robby saw the field before TJ got hurt. They were splitting time at QB early in the season. 

Calzada probably would've been benched behind this OL as well. Let's not act like he was actually good at TAMU

I think the jury is still out on Calzada and am not willing to write him off until he can go through a Spring and Fall while healthy.  He certainly was not a world beater in his first year of starting at aTm though.

Edited by dyehardfanAU
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

Obviously when you look at the roster for next year we are going to need almost an entirely new o line and d line.

what about QB? 

If there’s a great prospect available go for it. But Robbie is getting better and Geriner has all the tools. So it’s not as big a priority as other positions namely linebacker.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JBiGGiE said:

With proper coaching and another season of experience, I think Robby could be Nick Marshall good, he's just not there yet. But O-line is the obvious elephant in the room. Of course I'd be hard pressed right now not to take literally any lineman in the portal. It sure feels like anyone would be preferable to what we've started this season...

Marshall was lightning fast as a running QB, and he was smart on when and how to run.  Just when you didn’t think he would make it to the corner he did.  Almost always a step faster than the defense.  His arm strength was ridiculous.  But…..accuracy was the issue. Loved him though. Robbie has most of the tools, seems durable.  His decision making, ability to see the field and ball handling need work, but he is a freshman and that is normal. He actually reminds me of another discarded QB, Malik Willis. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

I think you would agree. This is first big time starting job in college. He has all the tools. He just needs time and of course a surrounding cast lol

Our offense is so poorly coached, and has been for years, it is hard to judge anyone. The scheme looks like a schoolyard offense drawn in the dirt. The OL talent is obviously lacking.  WR never come back to help the QB, and in their defense they don’t have time. There are usually 3 DL in the backfield flushing the QB. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

Obviously when you look at the roster for next year we are going to need almost an entirely new o line and d line.

what about QB? 

We haven’t seen any proof as yet, that we have an SEC caliber QB , although RA played much better yesterday.

Edited by Hank2020

6 hours ago, Mikey said:

Currently the best QB on campus is Holden Geriner. Whether he suits the offense the new coach favors cannot be known yet but it's hard to believe that our new guy won't like a solid pro-style QB.

We won't get a QB through normal recruiting channels, they are all already taken. The best bet is getting a QB through the portal since Harsin has failed to recruit a QB in this year's class.

Everybody has opinions. Mine is that I've seen why Robbie never got a snap in two years at Oregon. Would he be getting snaps at Auburn if Finley and Calzada had stayed healthy? I don't think so. Robbie can be a big asset to the team as a slot receiver on those jet sweeps and he'd even have the benefit of making the opponent think he might throw the ball.

But yes, we need a QB through the portal, for depth if nothing else.

I understood that RA wasn’t in the QB room. If true hard to get a snap there.

6 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

I understood that RA wasn’t in the QB room. If true hard to get a snap there.

He was recruited as a QB. If he wasn't in the QB room, what does that tell us?

20 minutes ago, Mikey said:

He was recruited as a QB. If he wasn't in the QB room, what does that tell us?

I gotcha, you are saying he wasn’t good enough to be in the QB room. I misunderstood your post. Not getting a snap took me to “you thought he was playing QB position for 2years and never got on the field”. But you are actually saying they moved him to WR/athelete room bc he did not show enough promise at QB. I had just assumed he eas in yhat room due to also playing baseball and coming in late to football practice (as our existing TE did). Gotcha 

58 minutes ago, tigerrules said:

Robbie has most of the tools, seems durable.  His decision making, ability to see the field and ball handling need work, but he is a freshman and that is normal.

For me it’s about consistency.  He makes superb plays, and then he makes terrible plays.  Whether it’s a poor decision, or the right decision just a bad throw.     All that is fixable with experience and good coaching!   Hopefully, he’ll get both and become a great QB!   Same with Geriner.   With those two, we’ve got potential at the QB position.  

I want to challenge a common assertion. In today's limitation on practice time and face time with coaches, how likely are you to 'coach-up' a mediocre player to compete in the SEC? That sounds like a good idea and we all want to think there's an upward path for everybody and we all remember when the Dyes could find diamonds in the rough. But do you now actually have to start with a high-achieving player (for SEC competitiveness)? Lesser conferences can hope for development because they don't have as far to go to match talent of the competition. I'm excluding the inherent requirements like speed, height, etc. Seems like you're going to be very limited to polishing one or two aspects on technique while integrating the player into the scheme. Is our expectation for 'development' supplanted by just a requirement to recruit the necessary level of talent?

Edited by AUx

4 hours ago, AUx said:

Is our expectation for 'development' supplanted by just a requirement to recruit the necessary level of talent?

Great question.