Will we need a qb for next year?

gr82b4au

With proper coaching and another season of experience, I think Robby could be Nick Marshall good, he's just not there yet. But O-line is the obvious elephant in the room. Of course I'd be hard pressed right now not to take literally any lineman in the portal. It sure feels like anyone would be preferable to what we've started this season...

• Like 4

1 minute ago, JBiGGiE said:

With proper coaching and another season of experience, I think Robby could be Nick Marshall good, he's just not there yet. But O-line is the obvious elephant in the room. Of course I'd be hard pressed right now not to take literally any lineman in the portal. It sure feels like anyone would be preferable to what we've started this season...

RGIII thought Robby most resembled him of any quarterback, that’s some pretty high praise. He’s got wheels, and can throw, he just needs a line, receivers, and coaching…which is a lot. But he’s got the skills and toolset. 

Depends on who we end up with probably. I think Robbie can be great. But he’s VERY raw and needs a lot of coaching. 
That said, I think we’re going to need some depth. I’m guess Holden comes back and Robbie comes back. I think Calzada already has a foot out the door. I’m not 100% on the rules. I think Finely can only transfer if is able to get a medical redshirt. Otherwise he’d have to sit out a year. So I’m less convinced he transfers. If he does, we will need to pick up a QB either out of high school or in the portal for depth in case of injury. 

I'm not sure you can properly judge our QB play this year behind this OL. Why this group hasnt been addressed yet is beyond me. This OL group is about to be responsible for 2 Offensive Minded HC fired in 3 years.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

Obviously when you look at the roster for next year we are going to need almost an entirely new o line and d line.

what about QB? 

No way to know. With an imminent firing and the transfer portal, there’s no telling who will or won’t stay, and no telling who the new coach will or won’t keep. 

8 hours ago, AUINSY said:

RGIII thought Robby most resembled him of any quarterback, that’s some pretty high praise. He’s got wheels, and can throw, he just needs a line, receivers, and coaching…which is a lot. But he’s got the skills and toolset. 

He is not going through his progressions very well.  He bails out before he needs too and in the 2 minute drills he stays too long.  In this type of offense a Qb is going to beat you with his arm and not his legs.  He is more suited to a double option type of offense where he can be more of a running back.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Carnell said:

He is not going through his progressions very well.  He bails out before he needs too and in the 2 minute drills he stays too long.  In this type of offense a Qb is going to beat you with his arm and not his legs.  He is more suited to a double option type of offense where he can be more of a running back.

I think you would agree. This is first big time starting job in college. He has all the tools. He just needs time and of course a surrounding cast lol

• Like 1

are all our kids that bad or is it coaching? i think it is coaching.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, AU_Tiger_88 said:
9 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

are all our kids that bad or is it coaching? i think it is coaching.

I think it's both and that can be shown through both recruiting rankings and on field play. 

• Like 2

Currently the best QB on campus is Holden Geriner. Whether he suits the offense the new coach favors cannot be known yet but it's hard to believe that our new guy won't like a solid pro-style QB.

We won't get a QB through normal recruiting channels, they are all already taken. The best bet is getting a QB through the portal since Harsin has failed to recruit a QB in this year's class.

Everybody has opinions. Mine is that I've seen why Robbie never got a snap in two years at Oregon. Would he be getting snaps at Auburn if Finley and Calzada had stayed healthy? I don't think so. Robbie can be a big asset to the team as a slot receiver on those jet sweeps and he'd even have the benefit of making the opponent think he might throw the ball.

But yes, we need a QB through the portal, for depth if nothing else.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Currently the best QB on campus is Holden Geriner. Whether he suits the offense the new coach favors cannot be known yet but it's hard to believe that our new guy won't like a solid pro-style QB.

We won't get a QB through normal recruiting channels, they are all already taken. The best bet is getting a QB through the portal since Harsin has failed to recruit a QB in this year's class.

Everybody has opinions. Mine is that I've seen why Robbie never got a snap in two years at Oregon. Would he be getting snaps at Auburn if Finley and Calzada had stayed healthy? I don't think so. Robbie can be a big asset to the team as a slot receiver on those jet sweeps and he'd even have the benefit of making the opponent think he might throw the ball.

But yes, we need a QB through the portal, for depth if nothing else.

I thought you were just being hyperbolic, but wow, all but 3 of the top-50 quarterbacks are already committed. 

32 minutes ago, HabitualChiller said:

I thought you were just being hyperbolic, but wow, all but 3 of the top-50 quarterbacks are already committed. 

With the early signing period the timing of the recruiting cycle has changed. It was a couple of months ago when I checked on how many O-linemen were still available. Only six in the top 250 prospects were non-committed O-linemen. By this time, any player that's still on the market is likely to have some problem. Grades, who knows what? Most of the top kids have been committed for quite some time now.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Regardless of if Robby would have seen the field or not, he has taken advantage of the opportunity given him. He is getting better and his numbers would be alot better if he had a decent Oline. Tom Brady wasn't getting any playing time, with the Patriots, until Drew Bledsoe got hurt. Sometimes, it is all about timing. 

Robby saw the field before TJ got hurt. They were splitting time at QB early in the season. 

Calzada probably would've been benched behind this OL as well. Let's not act like he was actually good at TAMU

Edited by Tiger
  • Like 2