Steve Bannon sentenced to 4 months in prison for criminal contempt

aubiefifty

Yahoo News

Steve Bannon sentenced to 4 months in prison for criminal contempt of Congress

Mark Hosenball
Mark Hosenball
·Contributor
Fri, October 21, 2022 at 10:16 AM

WASHINGTON — Steve Bannon, ex-White House strategist and adviser to former President Donald Trump, was sentenced Friday to four months in federal prison and a $6,500 fine for refusing to appear before the House select committee investigating the Jan. 6, 2021, assault on the U.S. Capitol.

U.S. District Court Judge Carl Nichols sentenced Bannon to four months each on two counts of criminal contempt of Congress, but the prison terms will be served concurrently.

Steve Bannon, former White House chief strategist under former President Donald Trump, gestures outside U.S. District Court in Washington on the day of his sentencing on contempt of Congress charges on Friday.

Steve Bannon, former White House chief strategist under former President Donald Trump, gestures outside U.S. District Court in Washington on the day of his sentencing on contempt of Congress charges on Friday. (Kevin Lamarque/Reuters)

A jury found Bannon guilty of the two counts in July — one for refusing to appear for a deposition before the panel and the other for refusing to produce requested documents. Each count carries a minimum potential sentence of 30 days and a maximum of one year in prison, as well as a fine of $100 to $1,000.

Federal prosecutors sought six months behind bars, while Bannon’s attorneys asked the court for probation.

The judge released Bannon pending an appeal from his attorneys, and, in a response to the prosecution's accusations during the hearing that he considered himself above the law, told reporters after the sentencing that "this thing about I'm above the law is a total lie."

when i read this i stood up at my desk and danced the funky chicken........lock em up by gawd!

19 hours ago, Leftfield said:

giphy.gif

No, no its not. Bannon seems to be a Breitbart Freak Show all by himself. The funny-puzzling-WTF thing here is why is he loyal to trump? trump threw him under the bus years ago and trump never plays nice with anyone that doesnt kiss his ass.

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see if he serves even a single day. I suspect it is doubtful.