2013 SEC Champtionship

auburnatl1

12 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

His persona was never the same after halftime of the NC game in 13. As painful as it is, if you go back and watch the pregame that night and just look at the fire and confidence Gus had...then compare it to the rest of his career.

I rewatched that game recently with Rod on the call. Man we were on fire that 1st half. AND Marshall overthrew a WIDE OPEN Ricardo Louis on the 1st drive. Should have been up 28-10 at the half.

I called the play that killed us. It was the absolute perfect time to call a fake punt. I freaking yelled it out loud watching TV. “WATCH THE FAKE!”

I have always wondered how could they not have known.

Our special teams were so damn good that season in every phase. But on that night, two special teams plays cost us the National Title. Parkey had kicked something like 85% of his kickoffs for touchbacks that season. That short kickoff…I don’t believe our kickoff coverage team had enough “at-bats” that season to thwart that short kickoff. Guy never was even close to being touched.

And even after that, Tre Mason was one missed block from taking it the distance on the last play. One of our O-Linemen didn’t have his head on a swivel to catch the incoming defender from behind. He was RIGHT there to make the block.

Mason would have scored and DWARFED both the Prayer at JH and the Kick Six. We would have been dubbed the most exciting team in the history of sports, eclipsing the 1980 U.S. Hockey team. 

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, Viper said:

I rewatched that game recently with Rod on the call. Man we were on fire that 1st half. AND Marshall overthrew a WIDE OPEN Ricardo Louis on the 1st drive. Should have been up 28-10 at the half.

I called the play that killed us. It was the absolute perfect time to call a fake punt. I freaking yelled it out loud watching TV. “WATCH THE FAKE!”

Our special teams were so damn good that season in every phase. But on that night, two special teams plays cost us the National Title. Parkey had kicked something like 85% of his kickoffs for touchbacks that season. That short kickoff…I don’t believe our kickoff coverage team had enough “at-bats” that season to thwart that short kickoff. Guy never was even close to being touched.

And even after that, Tre Mason was one missed block from taking it the distance on the last play. One of our O-Linemen didn’t have his head on a swivel to catch the incoming defender from behind. He was RIGHT there to make the block.

Mason would have scored and DWARFED both the Prayer at JH and the Kick Six. We would have been dubbed the most exciting team in the history of sports, eclipsing the 1980 U.S. Hockey team. 

Same here, bro. I felt that fake punt as well. We were dominating and the were desperate for some momentum. 

Kind of a funny story. I was dating the woman who is now my wife. That was our first year together. We watched everygame together. She actually missed the first half of the LSU game and we got dominated. She showed up for the 2nd half and we looked like a different team even though we still lost. The rest of the year, she watched every game with me and was sort of my good luck charm. Well, The night of the NC she watched the first half and then started feeling sick so she laid down. (before anyone gives her a hard time, she was not from here and could care less about football before me. She only watched because I liked it!). We all know how that one ended. I still to this day blame her for us not winning that game whether fair or not lol.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Viper said:

We basically beat the hell out fsu that game and Marshall hit ricardo louis, he flat out dropped the ball -- a sure fire touchdown and parkeys missed fg hurt. If only mason had gone down on the 1yard line instead of scoring at the end and by god we almost pulled off that final miracle play. I was at both championbships 2010 and Pasadena and pasedena was phenomenal, just magical atmosphere.. I will never ever forget it

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

We basically beat the hell out fsu that game and Marshall hit ricardo louis, he flat out dropped the ball -- a sure fire touchdown and parkeys missed fg hurt. If only mason had gone down on the 1yard line instead of scoring at the end and by god we almost pulled off that final miracle play. I was at both championbships 2010 and Pasadena and pasedena was phenomenal, just magical atmosphere.. I will never ever forget it

Yeah you’re right. Louis dropped it. I was thinking of the bomb Marshall threw in the Iron Bowl where Louis got behind the bammer DBs. Just beyond his fingertips. Would have been a 95-yard electrifying TD. I remember that miss absolutely stinging as it was 3rd down, 28-21 just under 5 mins left.

Yes if Mason goes down, we likely win. I can never blame him as he bulldozed one FSU defender around the 10 and was home free. Adrenaline was jacked. 

On 10/19/2022 at 9:05 PM, gr82b4au said:

I was at that game. Right after a hurricane if I remember correctly. So much fun 

Same and was nervous as several gas stations were closed between Mobile and Montgomery.

It was this season we should have realized the importance of the oline. Gus was living off Jeff Grime’s linemen. After these guys left we never recruited but maybe 4 really good linemen. 

Anybody else wondering why Championship is spelled with a t? am I missing an inside joke? If there is no Joke why hasn't @WarTiger fixed it like he always does?

Edited by autiger88