• Carolyn Maloney
    U.S. Representative from New York
  •  
  • Donald Trump Jr.
    Donald Trump Jr.
    American businessman (born 1977)

Former President Trump Holds Rally In Warren, Michigan - Credit: Getty Images

Former President Trump Holds Rally In Warren, Michigan - Credit: Getty Images

Donald Trump charged the Secret Service as much as five times the typical government rate to stay at his properties, records obtained by the House Oversight Committee reveal. The development is only the latest example of the former president using the office to enrich himself.

“The exorbitant rates charged to the Secret Service and agents’ frequent stays at Trump-owned properties raise significant concerns about the former President’s self-dealing and may have resulted in a taxpayer-funded windfall for former President Trump’s struggling businesses,” Committee Chair Carolyn Maloney (D-N.Y.) wrote to Secret Service Director Kimberly Cheatle, The Washington Post reported on Monday.

The committee obtained records showing the Trump Organization overcharged the Secret Service to stay at Trump properties on at least 40 occasions, including once instance in which they charged the agency $1,185 per night to protect Donald Trump Jr. when the government rate was $201.

The Trump Organization charged the Secret Service at total of $1.4 million to accommodate agents protecting the president and his family, which means $1.4 million in taxpayer money went directly to the president’s private company. Trump visited his properties constantly while in office, including making 145 trips to Mar-a-Lago — the Palm Beach, Florida, estate where he hoarded hundreds of classified documents after leaving the White House.

“Given the long-standing concerns surrounding the former President’s conflicts of interest and efforts to profit off the presidency, the committee has a strong interest in obtaining a complete accounting of federal government spending at Trump properties,” Maloney continued. “The Committee continues to examine potential legislation to prevent presidential self-dealing and profiteering, as well as to curb conflicts of interest by ensuring that future presidents are prevented from exercising undue influence on Secret Service spending.”

4 minutes ago, jj3jordan said:

Clinton rented out the pool house to the secret service for his mortgage plus a nice profit. Still is.

why are you telling such a big lie jj? i thought you were a straight shooter? it is a bull**** lie made to smear the clintons which you righties love doing. man i cannot wait to hear your excuse. but i fact checked and snope checked and it is just a lie. just like they wer supposedly getting the secret service to pay their mortgage. good grief dude.......have you no shame? and i am letting the whataboutism slide this time. we are not discussing the clintons we are discussing trump. funny you accused me of this a week or so ago of whataboutism and here YOU are in all your blazing glory.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Got a reference for that?

ask him for copies of receipts........lol. it was a lie started i think around 2007. easily debunked.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

why are you telling such a big lie jj? i thought you were a straight shooter? it is a bull**** lie made to smear the clintons which you righties love doing. man i cannot wait to hear your excuse. but i fact checked and snope checked and it is just a lie. just like they wer supposedly getting the secret service to pay their mortgage. good grief dude.......have you no shame? and i am letting the whataboutism slide this time. we are not discussing the clintons we are discussing trump. funny you accused me of this a week or so ago of whataboutism and here YOU are in all your blazing glory.

My bad fiddy  I was basing off my recollection at the time. I read the snopes article too. Not that snopes is unbiased.  They did have SS in their house out back and the taxpayers did pay for it.  The snopes article also said every  former president gets protection at taxpayer cost. I apologize for posting that without checking more recent articles about it. I ask your forgiveness.