State of the Roster (Updated 10/24)

Zeek

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I guess I've missed it... Is no one butt Caddy and Zach  recruiting?

Lots of staffers and others but HC, OC and DC are dead weight. 

5 hours ago, cbo said:

This is bleak. Can't win a lot of games without OL or DL. 

I, for one, will be very forgiving about on the field results next season. As long as the new HC is recruiting his ass off. 

On the DL, Jones is the biggest fail, other than mba being injured, dude has absolutely no get off with his size, and evidently doesn't possess much strength 

3 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

How is that not a violation of contract 

If they are indeed not out recruiting, that has to be a violation.  You are not doing what you were hired to do.  Besides coaching, developing (both of which you haven't done well at all), recruiting has to be a part of the job description.  Could be something at the very least that could result in a reduced buyout.  They definitely could argue this point.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can see it all now. There is a breakfast meeting called between the PTB and Deion.

PTB:

"Coach Sanders, here is $ xxxx/player in NIL money to go get 5 SEC starter quality offensive linemen for '23."  

Deion:

"What do you want me to do this afternoon ?" 

Edited by IronMan70
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

15 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

On the DL, Jones is the biggest fail, other than mba being injured, dude has absolutely no get off with his size, and evidently doesn't possess much strength 

Yup. All that size and no strength just doesn't mean much.

• Like 1

I want to say GaTech brought in close to 30 guys through the portal this past year.  Auburn is going to have to rebuild both lines and LBs through the portal this offseason.  Sounds like Auburn will bring in 4-5 Oline guys through traditional recruiting but doubtful you’ll want any of those guys starting next season.  It’s going to take at least 2 years of high school recruiting and transfer portal to get depth back where it needs to be.  Bring in the right coach and I don’t think it’s too far of a stretch for Auburn to be competitive next year.  At least a bowl team anyway.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2022 at 11:43 PM, roe4christ said:

If they are indeed not out recruiting, that has to be a violation.  You are not doing what you were hired to do.  Besides coaching, developing (both of which you haven't done well at all), recruiting has to be a part of the job description.  Could be something at the very least that could result in a reduced buyout.  They definitely could argue this point.

This "not recruiting" story doesn't meet the common sense rule. If some staff members are not out recruiting there has to be a reason. Harsin makes all such assignments. Assistants aren't simply staying home because they want to stay home. There is some sort of plan in place that sends some out and keeps others on campus. We don't know what that plan is but the idea of guys sitting at home when they are supposed to be out recruiting is nonsense.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Zeek said:

Yup. All that size and no strength just doesn't mean much.

I just assumed he was a project that would take at least a year to get his body SEC ready.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

This "not recruiting" story doesn't meet the common sense rule. If some staff members are not out recruiting there has to be a reason. Harsin makes all such assignments. Assistants aren't simply staying home because they want to stay home. There is some sort of plan in place that sends some out and keeps others on campus. We don't know what that plan is but the idea of guys sitting at home when they are supposed to be out recruiting is nonsense.

Yep, I read a pretty detailed article today in 50's thread where it appears they're recruiting and making visits all over.  It detailed Harsin's every move this week on the plane to Bham/Mobile and that the asst's & coordinators were in middle Georgia for the long weekend of the bye week.

Strange that it's been said (J.Tate?) that the only guy's recruiting has been Caddy/Zack/Ike?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

Lol.....I wonder what's going on.....almost seem as if he's almost blackballed in state doesn't it 🤔

• Dislike 1

On 10/18/2022 at 10:09 AM, Zeek said:

Regardless of who we hire as head coach it's going to be a challenge to manage the roster that he will have left. Here is a look at how things will look going into next season.

Quarterback (4 Returning)

• TJ Finley - SR
  • Robby Ashford - RS SO
  • Zach Calzada - RS SO
  • Holden Geriner - RS FR
  • Trey Lindsey - will graduate
  • Sawyer Pate - JR walk-on

At least one of Finley/Ashford/Calzada is likely to transfer out. I'm not sure who will and it likely depends on the new staff and how they rank those three. My bet is that Finley leaves. Auburn will have just three scholarship quarterbacks with no signs of adding a high school recruit in this class. Likely opening up a spot for yet another transfer quarterback.

Running Back (5 Returning)

• Tank Bigsby - likely leaving for the NFL
  • Jarquez Hunter - JR
  • Jordon Ingram - JR
  • Damari Alston - SO
  • Sean Jackson - RS SO
  • Justin Jones - SR walk-on
  • Luke Reebals - SO walk-on

I could see someone like Jordon Ingram transferring out if he ever wants to see the field in his career. Right now he is firmly behind Hunter, Alston, and Jackson. Jeremiah Cobb is likely to come in as a true freshman and be out true #3 option assuming we keep his commitment. Tank leaving will hurt but I'm excited to see what Jarquez can do as a full time starter. Man I wish we got Quinshon Judkins; he wanted to be here so bad.

Wide Receiver (10 Returning)

• Shedrick Jackson - exhausted eligibility
  • Tommy Nesmith - exhausted eligibility walk-on
  • Ja'Varrius Johnson - SR
  • Malcolm Johnson Jr - RS JR or SR
  • Ze'Vian Capers - RS JR or SR
  • Koy Moore - JR
  • Tar'Varish Dawson Jr. - RS SO
  • Jay Fair - SO or RS FR
  • Dazalin Worsham - RS SO or JR
  • Landen King - RS SO
  • Camden Brown - RS FR or SO
  • Omari Kelly - RS FR or SO
  • Jackson Billings - JR walk-on
  • Trent Mason - SR walk-on
  • Jake Kruse - RS FR walk-on
  • Colby Stafford - SO walk-on
  • Whit Johnson - SO walk-on

We have some recruits in and getting JaV back for his senior year will be important to have some experience and production returning. Shedrick Jackson will be gone and we will lean heavy on the young and unproven guys yet again. This is a position I expect to see some transfers form. Capers, Johnson Jr, and Dawson have been here a while to barely see any targets; they could be looking elsewhere. We will have 2-4 high school receivers coming up and maybe a transfer if we can pull someone. Five walk-ons tells you we are a little thin here.

Tight End (4 Returning)

• John Samuel Shenker - will be out of eligibility I believe
  • Tyler Fromm - SR
  • Luke Deal - SR
  • Brandon Frazier - SR
  • Micah Riley-Ducker - RS FR or SO
  • Camden Etheredge - SO walk-on
  • Grant Hidalgo - JR walk-on

If the next head coach plans on using TEs at all we need to do some serious recruiting. We have none committed in the 2023 class and three rising seniors; none of which are guaranteed to return. It wouldn't surprise me to see Frazier leave considering he has never really seen the field here. I somewhat expect, if he is still at Auburn, Landen King to shift back to TE under a new coach.

Offensive Line (8 Returning)

• Jalil Irvin - graduating
  • Nick Brahms - retired
  • Brenden Coffey - graduating
  • Kameron Stutts -  graduating
  • Austin Troxell - graduating
  • Alec Jackson - graduating
  • Brandon Council - graduating
  • Kilian Zierer - graduating
  • Tate Johnson - SR
  • Keiondre Jones - SR
  • Jeremiah Wright (SR)
  • Avery Jernigan - RS SO or JR
  • Cort Bradley - RS SO
  • Colby Smith - RS SO
  • Garner Langlo - RS SO
  • EJ Harris - RS FR or SO
  • Thomas Kirkham - RS SO walk-on
  • Evan Richards - SO walk-on

We literally don't have enough guys returning for a two-deep. If the new staff is smart they'll beg some of the seniors to use their bonus year but some are totally out of eligibility. The transfer portal has never been more important for Auburn that it will be this cycle. JuCo guys are going to be heavily recruited as well.

Defensive Line & Edge Rusher (8 Returning)

• Derick Hall - NFL
  • Colby Wooden - SR but likely enters the NFL Draft
  • Marcus Bragg - I believe will be out of eligibility
  • Morris Joseph Jr. - I believe will be out of eligibility as well
  • Marcus Harris - SR he wants to leave early but idk if he will/should
  • Marquis Burks - likely gone?
  • Eku Leota - likely the NFL but injury might make him take the bonus year
  • Zykeivous Walker - RS JR leaving the team
  • Garrison Walker - SR
  • Jayson Jones - JR
  • Jeffrey M'ba - RS SO or JR
  • Tobechi Okoli - RS SO
  • Marquis Robinson - RS SO
  • Dylan Brooks - RS SO
  • Enyce Sledge - RS FR
  • Joe Frazier Jr - walk-on
  • Jackson Kelly - RS SO walk-on
  • Godwin Owolabi - RS SO walk-on
  • Hayden Brice - out of eligibility walk-on

Honestly we need to hope that Eku Leota getting injured makes him want to use that bonus year (which I believe he still has). Otherwise things look really rough for next year's DL group. We have some guys coming in from high school but we'll need the portal and other guys to develop. M'ba has been hurt and Jayson Jones doesn't have the power to go with his size. This is a position of concern next season.

Linebacker (9 Returning)

• Owen Pappoe - likely doesn't use his bonus year
  • Sammy Cohen - out of eligibility walk-on
  • Barton Lester - out of eligibility walk-on
  • Wesley Steiner - SR
  • Desmond Tisdol - SR
  • Cam Riley - SR
  • Eugene Asante - SR
  • Kameron Brown - SR
  • Jake Levant - JR
  • Joko Willis - JR
  • Powell Gordon - RS FR
  • Robert Woodyard Jr - RS FR
  • Jonathan LeGrand - SR walk-on

Going to be blunt here. Steiner has been terrible, Riley is too thin, not sure if Kam Brown is a walk-on, Levant is a former walk-on and a warm body, Joko is a borderline edge rusher, Powell isn't really an SEC linebacker, and it's sounding like Woodyard might not be that capable either. Our linebackers look terrible this year and it looks worse next season. Plus there will be five seniors next year... not a great path we're heading down.

Defensive Backs (12 Returning)

• Nehemiah Pritchett - out of eligibility I believe
  • Jaylin Simpson - SR
  • DJ James - SR
  • Zion Puckett - SR
  • Marquise Gilbert - JR
  • Donovan Kaufman - JR
  • Craig McDonald - JR
  • Keionte Scott - JR
  • Cayden Bridges - RS SO
  • JD Rhym - RS FR or SO
  • Austin Ausberry - RS FR or SO
  • AD Diamond - RS SO
  • Caleb Wooden - RS FR
  • Tony Hunley Jr - SR walk-on
  • Greg McConico Jr - SR walk-on
  • Mac McClinton - SO walk-on
  • John Reese Bellew - JR walk-on
  • Paul Thompson Jr - SO walk-on

I think Pritchett could use his bonus year but I don't know if he will. Otherwise we return everyone other than whomever might transfer out. This group is in desperate need of some speed and height. We have been decent in coverage but nowhere near ball hawks. We have only had two interceptions and both were off weird tips. Simpson and Pritchett are brutal in coverage. We have some talent coming in and guys with upside. One of our better returning positions next season.

Kicker (1 Returning)

• Anders Carlson - out of eligibility
  • Alex McPherson - RS FR
  • Evan McGuire - JR walk-on

I think we'll be better next year with Carlson gone.

Punter (1 Returning)

• Oscar Chapman - SR (he should return)
  • Marshall Meyers - JR walk-on
  • Daniel Perez - SO walk-on

Chapman has been great this year. There is a small chance he could bolt for a pro job.

Long Snapper (1 Returning)

• Jacob Quattlebaum - out of eligibility
  • Kyle Vaccarella - RS SO not sure if he is on scholarship but he was rated the #1 LS coming out of HS
  • Reed Hughes - JR walk-on

Added two OL I had left out somehow. Also removed Z-Walker. 

If I added up right we have 61 returning scholarship players. Leaving 24 spots (there will be transfers and other movement that frees up spot). The next coach needs to sign a full 25 out of high school, add roughly 10 from the portal, and a handful of JuCo guys to rebuild correctly. There are also some guys they need to kindly nudge off the roster to try and fix things.

Ideally, you see a roster that has even an even number of players from different grade levels at each position. So having a senior, junior, sophomore, and freshman at quarterback is your dream world. Same for running back and other positions vary. 

What we can't do is sign 5 high school linebackers to fill a hole. That just puts us right back in this spot 3-4 years right now. It has to be a combination of high school recruits, JuCo, and transfers. This lets you stagger out their eligibility better. 

Need a clear and concise plan for the roster and someone who can recruit the players necessary for a quick turnaround. 

• Like 2

• Zeek changed the title to State of the Roster (Updated 10/24)
On 10/20/2022 at 9:55 AM, Mikey said:

It’s called quiet quitting and I’m waiting for my buyout check since y’all don’t want me (rightfully so I might add)

8 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Added two OL I had left out somehow. Also removed Z-Walker. 

If I added up right we have 61 returning scholarship players. Leaving 24 spots (there will be transfers and other movement that frees up spot). The next coach needs to sign a full 25 out of high school, add roughly 10 from the portal, and a handful of JuCo guys to rebuild correctly. There are also some guys they need to kindly nudge off the roster to try and fix things.

Ideally, you see a roster that has even an even number of players from different grade levels at each position. So having a senior, junior, sophomore, and freshman at quarterback is your dream world. Same for running back and other positions vary. 

What we can't do is sign 5 high school linebackers to fill a hole. That just puts us right back in this spot 3-4 years right now. It has to be a combination of high school recruits, JuCo, and transfers. This lets you stagger out their eligibility better. 

Need a clear and concise plan for the roster and someone who can recruit the players necessary for a quick turnaround. 

Our HS class is going to be small.  Unless we have our mind made up, it's probably going to take 2 weeks to get a new coach hired.  That'll give the new HC about 10 days to line up a staff, keep the current class committed and maybe find a straggler that wants to jump on any hype the hire might have created.  We have 11 right now....I can't imagine we're going to have much more than 15 on NSD unless the new coach comes in shocks some folks.  Feb signing day is really only a handful of guys or late risers.  Unless we want to take 10 3* kids, I can't see us taking more than 5.  20ish is probably a best case, IMO.  

I wouldn't be shocked if 10 kids transferred.  That leaves us with about 35 slots.

Unless you can find a JUCO starter (which seemingly is rare) we need to take 15-20 from the portal.  Grad Srs, Jrs, kids leaving after 1 year.  Rebuild the entire roster.  The faster you can show on the field results, the faster you'll get buy-in from HS kids.

Jesus, the OL and Edge depth chart is terrifying 

• Like 5

Correct me if I am wrong but could have sworn coming Jones was getting comparisons to Derek Brown. Btw DB had a helluva game yesterday for the panthers

Edited by e808
Typo
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, e808 said:

Correct me if I am wrong but could have sworn coming Jones was getting comparisons to Derek Brown. Btw DB had a helluva game yesterday for the panthers

He had a good one the game before as well

• Like 1

On 10/18/2022 at 12:58 PM, Zeek said:

A part of the problem is there isn't really a team geographically close to us imploding like LSU did with coach O. So there won't be as much talent to easily snake last second. 

TEXAS A&M?!?! Jimbo, come on down!

I know it's not like the geographically closest, but still in the same conference...I love this meme, I don't know why it makes me laugh so hard

image.thumb.jpeg.c33c260ff34b49a4e92b784741e98645.jpeg

Edited by AUINSY
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, AUINSY said:

TEXAS A&M?!?! Jimbo, come on down!

I know it's not like the geographically closest, but still in the same conference...I love this meme, I don't know why it makes me laugh so hard

image.thumb.jpeg.c33c260ff34b49a4e92b784741e98645.jpeg

I know they have money but my God that would be such a wild buyout 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

An October 2022 thread predicting players we'll have available in August 2023? Interesting.

Not much else to talk about with the AD hiring taking 1/4 of a year and the HC not being fired until the end of the season.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

That’s why I would prefer a coach sooner than later so they can start working on the portal and shoring up whatever pieces of recruiting class we may have left 

When exactly do you think we could hire a new coach?

8 hours ago, Zeek said:

I know they have money but my God that would be such a wild buyout 

A&M in a tailspin free fall: