State of the Roster (Updated 10/24)

Zeek

13 minutes ago, EagleEye67 said:

I'd prefer Prime by far, but will fully support Grimes.

Until I don't :big:

I prefer Prime too, but I'll be happy with Grimes.   It's like an ice cream cone or an ice cream cone with sprinkles :)

10 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Were there even 5 SEC ready OL in the portal last year?  I hate to break it to you but we're not finding 5 within 2 years minimum and there are plenty of other holes to fill as well.  We were at least a 2 year rebuild before Harsin put us further behind.

I am not talking about getting back to an 8-4 team, I'm talkiing about the soonest we can reasonably expect to compete for championships.  There's no difference between 8-4 and 6-6.

From a fan perspective I have to disagree but I get what you're saying. Would be very happy with 8-4 next season all things considered.

29 minutes ago, Zeek said:

From a fan perspective I have to disagree but I get what you're saying. Would be very happy with 8-4 next season all things considered.

That's just my take, I don't expect everyone to agree.  I feel like if we're not in the hunt for an SECCG appearance at the end of the season then we have failed as a program.  I don't expect us to make it every season but I do expect us to be in the hunt.  8-4 is not in the hunt.

Edited by dyehardfanAU
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

37 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

There's no difference between 8-4 and 6-6.

There is a large difference between the two.

37 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Were there even 5 SEC ready OL in the portal last year? 

Fortunately we don't have to find 5.  Stutts and Jones can both come back.  Coffey can come back if he stays under the minimum games played and can RS this year.  J Wright, not listed...can also come back.

I'd imagine on of Harris/Smith/Tate Johnson/Jerringan can develop.

So that leaves min 2 starters needed.  But also need plenty of depth and guys who are leaving schools after a year or two.

2 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

There is a large difference between the two.

Fortunately we don't have to find 5.  Stutts and Jones can both come back.  Coffey can come back if he stays under the minimum games played and can RS this year.  J Wright, not listed...can also come back.

I'd imagine on of Harris/Smith/Tate Johnson/Jerringan can develop.

So that leaves min 2 starters needed.  But also need plenty of depth and guys who are leaving schools after a year or two.

If you truly think we're 2 OL away from being competitive then I'm not sure anything i say will change your mind.

1 minute ago, dyehardfanAU said:

If you truly think we're 2 OL away from being competitive then I'm not sure anything i say will change your mind.

No, because there a plethora of other positions we need help with.

2 hours ago, Auburnguy101 said:

This is where a coach like Deion would immediately bring in talent and depth to a depleted roster. He’s really the only one I think that could make an immediate impact on our roster…

This rumor that some of the members of this staff care and are working their asses off recruiting while others OC/DC/TE/OL coaches haven't been doing crap all fall is asinine.  

As Deion said in the 60 minutes piece, "It's unfathomable to me to understand that you don't wanna do your job and you gettin compensated."   

He would immediately jack up the entire department if folks ever considered not doing the job they're paid to do. 

33 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

No, because there a plethora of other positions we need help with.

Including 5 championship level starting OL.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

This rumor that some of the members of this staff care and are working their asses off recruiting while others OC/DC/TE/OL coaches haven't been doing crap all fall is asinine.  

As Deion said in the 60 minutes piece, "It's unfathomable to me to understand that you don't wanna do your job and you gettin compensated."   

He would immediately jack up the entire department if folks ever considered not doing the job they're paid to do. 

If it can be proven that they have not left campus to recruit they should be terminated with zero compensation.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

3 year rebuild.  

How many year(s) rebuild was the Tennessee job when Heupel took over a 3-7 team? They had ~20 players transfer(including 9 starters I believe) and possible sanctions were/are looming.

Edited by mb711

1 hour ago, JerryAU said:

Exactly. I know Deion is a big risk but he’s also someone who is different than anyone Auburn would ever hire. I think that is what Auburn needs. This is a stale program and most of these candidates I believe will not bring much unity to the fan base. I stand by statement that yes, he might have the lowest floor, but I also believe he has by far the highest ceiling of any candidate…

3 hours ago, DAG said:

If the Utah State AD is hired, I presume Grimes is the run away favorite. I think we need to get our mental ready for that and to support him.

Oh I already have succumbed to the reality that Grimes will be our next coach, he’s the most Auburn candidate. Doesn’t mean I won’t stop vouching for Deion until it is official haha…

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Auburnguy101 said:

Oh I already have succumbed to the reality that Grimes will be our next coach, he’s the most Auburn candidate. Doesn’t mean I won’t stop vouching for Deion until it is official haha…

I agree. I think Deion

is the best option. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

I've seen the term "quiet quitting" being used. From everything I've seen. That's seems accurate. I just wonder if AU is trying to get some kind of "cause" thing together at the end of the season, bc what he doing right now is pure negligence. If he were out recruiting, doing his thing but still losing games, fine, but he's doing the exact opposite.

Well, the jokes’ on Harsin. Recruiting is picking up the more he doesnt speak to any of them. Hes a player repellant.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Auburnguy101 said:

Same brother same!

• Like 1

This is bleak. Can't win a lot of games without OL or DL. 

I, for one, will be very forgiving about on the field results next season. As long as the new HC is recruiting his ass off. 

• Love 3

If our roster wasn't in such bad shape, I would probably be warm toward Grimes.  We do not have a normal roster.  It needs some major attention.  For that reason, as well as some excitement around Auburn, I think we need to get Deion.  Attacking the transfer portal, JUCO, and the left-over recruits after ESD, is of vital importance.  I do think we are a couple years from being back on top but I think Prime and his new staff can go a long way in one off season to address several of the problem areas.  I would be excited for an 8-4 record next year.  If that were to happen, I think the following year, we could have a real chance to get into the top 10.  Maybe this is wishful thinking but two full off seasons of restocking the roster with top talent could make this reality.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, cbo said:

I, for one, will be very forgiving about on the field results next season. As long as the new HC is recruiting his ass off. 

Great mindset

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Zeek said:

Regardless of who we hire as head coach it's going to be a challenge to manage the roster that he will have left. Here is a look at how things will look going into next season.

Quarterback (4 Returning)

• TJ Finley - SR
  • Robby Ashford - RS SO
  • Zach Calzada - RS SO?
  • Holden Geriner - RS FR
  • Trey Lindsey - will graduate
  • Sawyer Pate - JR walk-on

At least one of Finley/Ashford/Calzada is likely to transfer out. I'm not sure who will and it likely depends on the new staff and how they rank those three. My bet is that Finley leaves. Auburn will have just three scholarship quarterbacks with no signs of adding a high school recruit in this class. Likely opening up a spot for yet another transfer quarterback.

Running Back (5 Returning)

• Tank Bigsby - likely leaving for the NFL
  • Jarquez Hunter - JR
  • Damari Alston - SO
  • Jordon Ingram - JR
  • Sean Jackson - RS SO
  • Damari Alston - SO
  • Justin Jones - SR walk-on

I could see someone like Jordon Ingram transferring out if he ever wants to see the field in his career. Right now he is firmly behind Hunter, Alston, and Jackson. Jeremiah Cobb is likely to come in as a true freshman and be out true #3 option assuming we keep his commitment. Tank leaving will hurt but I'm excited to see what Jarquez can do as a full time starter. Man I wish we got Quinshon Judkins; he wanted to be here so bad.

Wide Receiver (10 Returning)

• Shedrick Jackson - exhausted eligibility
  • Tommy Nesmith - exhausted eligibility walk-on
  • Ja'Varrius Johnson - SR
  • Malcolm Johnson Jr - RS JR or SR
  • Ze'Vian Capers - RS JR or SR
  • Koy Moore - JR
  • Tar'Varish Dawson Jr. - RS SO
  • Jay Fair - SO or RS FR
  • Dazalin Worsham - RS SO or JR
  • Landen King - RS SO
  • Camden Brown - RS FR or SO
  • Omari Kelly - RS FR or SO
  • Jackson Billings - JR walk-on
  • Trent Mason - SR walk-on
  • Jake Kruse - RS FR walk-on
  • Colby Stafford - SO walk-on
  • Whit Johnson - SO walk-on

We have some recruits in and getting JaV back for his senior year will be important to have some experience and production returning. Shedrick Jackson will be gone and we will lean heavy on the young and unproven guys yet again. This is a position I expect to see some transfers form. Capers, Johnson Jr, and Dawson have been here a while to barely see any targets; they could be looking elsewhere. We will have 2-4 high school receivers coming up and maybe a transfer if we can pull someone. Five walk-ons tells you we are a little thin here.

Tight End (4 Returning)

• John Samuel Shenker - will be out of eligibility I believe
  • Tyler Fromm - SR
  • Luke Deal - SR
  • Brandon Frazier - SR
  • Micah Riley-Ducker - RS FR or SO
  • Camden Etheredge - SO walk-on
  • Grant Hidalgo - JR walk-on

If the next head coach plans on using TEs at all we need to do some serious recruiting. We have none committed in the 2023 class and three rising seniors; none of which are guaranteed to return. It wouldn't surprise me to see Frazier leave considering he has never really seen the field here. I somewhat expect, if he is still at Auburn, Landen King to shift back to TE under a new coach.

Offensive Line (6 Returning)

• Jalil Irvin - graduating
  • Nick Brahms - retired
  • Brenden Coffey - graduating
  • Kameron Stutts -  graduating
  • Austin Troxell - graduating
  • Alec Jackson - graduating
  • Brandon Council - graduating
  • Tate Johnson - SR
  • Keiondre Jones - SR
  • Avery Jernigan - RS SO or JR
  • Cort Bradley - RS SO
  • Colby Smith - RS SO
  • EJ Harris - RS FR or SO
  • Thomas Kirkham - RS SO walk-on

We literally don't have enough guys returning for a two-deep. If the new staff is smart they'll beg some of the seniors to use their bonus year but some are totally out of eligibility. The transfer portal has never been more important for Auburn that it will be this cycle. JuCo guys are going to be heavily recruited as well.

Defensive Line & Edge Rusher (8 Returning)

• Derick Hall - NFL
  • Colby Wooden - SR but likely enters the NFL Draft
  • Marcus Bragg - I believe will be out of eligibility
  • Morris Joseph Jr. - I believe will be out of eligibility as well
  • Marcus Harris - SR he wants to leave early but idk if he will/should
  • Marquis Burks - likely gone?
  • Eku Leota - likely the NFL but injury might make him take the bonus year
  • Garrison Walker - SR
  • Jayson Jones - JR
  • Zykeivous Walker - RS JR?
  • Jeffrey M'ba - RS SO or JR
  • Tobechi Okoli - RS SO
  • Marquis Robinson - RS SO
  • Dylan Brooks - RS SO
  • Enyce Sledge - RS FR
  • Joe Frazier Jr - walk-on
  • Jackson Kelly - RS SO walk-on
  • Godwin Owolabi - RS SO walk-on
  • Hayden Brice - out of eligibility walk-on

Honestly we need to hope that Eku Leota getting injured makes him want to use that bonus year (which I believe he still has). Otherwise things look really rough for next year's DL group. We have some guys coming in from high school but we'll need the portal and other guys to develop. M'ba has been hurt and Jayson Jones doesn't have the power to go with his size. This is a position of concern next season.

Linebacker (9 Returning)

• Owen Pappoe - likely doesn't use his bonus year
  • Sammy Cohen - out of eligibility walk-on
  • Barton Lester - out of eligibility walk-on
  • Wesley Steiner - SR
  • Desmond Tisdol - SR
  • Cam Riley - SR
  • Eugene Asante - SR
  • Kameron Brown - SR
  • Jake Levant - JR
  • Joko Willis - JR
  • Powell Gordon - RS FR
  • Robert Woodyard Jr - RS FR
  • Jonathan LeGrand - SR walk-on

Going to be blunt here. Steiner has been terrible, Riley is too thin, not sure if Kam Brown is a walk-on, Levant is a former walk-on and a warm body, Joko is a borderline edge rusher, Powell isn't really an SEC linebacker, and it's sounding like Woodyard might not be that capable either. Our linebackers look terrible this year and it looks worse next season. Plus there will be five seniors next year... not a great path we're heading down.

Defensive Backs (12 Returning)

• Nehemiah Pritchett - out of eligibility I believe
  • Jaylin Simpson - SR
  • DJ James - SR
  • Zion Puckett - SR
  • Marquise Gilbert - JR
  • Donovan Kaufman - JR
  • Craig McDonald - JR
  • Keionte Scott - JR
  • Cayden Bridges - RS SO
  • JD Rhym - RS FR or SO
  • Austin Ausberry - RS FR or SO
  • AD Diamond - RS SO
  • Caleb Wooden - RS FR
  • Tony Hunley Jr - SR walk-on
  • Greg McConico Jr - SR walk-on
  • Mac McClinton - SO walk-on
  • John Reese Bellew - JR walk-on
  • Paul Thompson Jr - SO walk-on

I think Pritchett could use his bonus year but I don't know if he will. Otherwise we return everyone other than whomever might transfer out. This group is in desperate need of some speed and height. We have been decent in coverage but nowhere near ball hawks. We have only had two interceptions and both were off weird tips. Simpson and Pritchett are brutal in coverage. We have some talent coming in and guys with upside. One of our better returning positions next season.

Kicker (1 Returning)

• Anders Carlson - out of eligibility
  • Alex McPherson - RS FR
  • Evan McGuire - JR walk-on

I think we'll be better next year with Carlson gone.

Punter (1 Returning)

• Oscar Chapman - SR (he should return)
  • Marshall Meyers - JR walk-on
  • Daniel Perez - SO walk-on

Chapman has been great this year. There is a small chance he could bolt for a pro job.

Long Snapper (1 Returning)

• Jacob Quattlebaum - out of eligibility
  • Kyle Vaccarella - RS SO not sure if he is on scholarship but he was rated the #1 LS coming out of HS
  • Reed Hughes - JR walk-on

The only current QB worth a scholarship for next season is Holden Geriner.  TJ Finley might be a good tight end transition, but he's too slow.  Robby Ashford might be a good wingback transition, but he's too fragile.

Whoever the new coach is next year, expect him to make sure Geriner is the only current QB on the roster.  He will "entice" Finley and Ashford to transfer, if they can.  And I hope they can/do, because both of them are pathetic excuses for SEC QBs.

Zack Calzada might be worth keeping as a backup, but he's not willing to accept a blanket backup role.

Edited by MaxCohen216

2 hours ago, CR said:

Well, the jokes’ on Harsin. Recruiting is picking up the more he doesnt speak to any of them. Hes a player repellant.

I guess I've missed it... Is no one butt Caddy and Zach  recruiting?

Edited by NWALA Tiger

1 hour ago, cbo said:

That is the way I felt about this year. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I guess I've missed it... Is no one butt Caddy and Zach  recruiting?

Jay G. Tate apparently confirmed that Harsin, Kiesau, Schmedding, and Friend have not been.

5 hours ago, alabastertiger said:

I prefer Prime too, but I'll be happy with Grimes.   It's like an ice cream cone or an ice cream cone with sprinkles :)

Yeah, but that ice cream cone might melt before the AU PTB gives the new coach a chance.  Sprinkles or not.  That's my concern.

8 hours ago, alabastertiger said:

We are going to have to pull off a Kiffen like performance in the transfer portal this year.   He basically brought in a whole new team in transfers and we'll have to do something similar.

Maybe Kiffin will be here to pull off a Kiffin-like performance.