Serious question:

aubiefifty

Serious question: was Harsin ever given a chance to be successful (i.e. did he have enough buy-in and support at any point in time)?

Here’s the 247 article from Christian Clemente. Since its behind the paywall, here’s the relevant bit:

On the board this week, someone asked about Auburn's coordinators — offensive coordinator Eric Kiesau, defensive coordinator Jeff Schmedding and special teams coordinator Roc Bellantoni — and whether or not they've been on the road yet.

To which I answered that they have not.

Auburn has meetings on Friday nights before the game, in which the coordinators are required to attend.

Is that normal? Yes, it is normal for meetings to be on Friday night ahead of the game. It is not normal, however, for coordinators to have to be there, according to sources at other programs.

Thus far Auburn's coordinators, offensive line coach Will Friend or tight end coach Brad Bedell have not been on the road once this fall.

this is all on harsin. i am sure someone will tell me what i am missing?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

i thought friend had been? also caddy seems to be the only one recruiting right now on staff.  they did not know about trovon since he is in an admin job. i will be upset if they let caddy go along with the taters.

Edited by aubiefifty

One could maybe make the argument that it impacted recruiting. But Harsin has clearly done stuff that has hindered it as well. So a decent part of the over 50 rated recruiting class is on him.

The on the field failure is almost all him. Play calling has been abysmal. Our players are undisciplined and commit a lot of penalties. Players are being very misused. 
So yes. He’s had a chance, and he’s failed. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

Here’s the 247 article from Christian Clemente. Since its behind the paywall, here’s the relevant bit:

On the board this week, someone asked about Auburn's coordinators — offensive coordinator Eric Kiesau, defensive coordinator Jeff Schmedding and special teams coordinator Roc Bellantoni — and whether or not they've been on the road yet.

To which I answered that they have not.

Auburn has meetings on Friday nights before the game, in which the coordinators are required to attend.

Is that normal? Yes, it is normal for meetings to be on Friday night ahead of the game. It is not normal, however, for coordinators to have to be there, according to sources at other programs.

Thus far Auburn's coordinators, offensive line coach Will Friend or tight end coach Brad Bedell have not been on the road once this fall.

this is all on harsin. i am sure someone will tell me what i am missing?

If they are still on payroll shouldn't they be recruiting? It's part of the job. Unless someone higher than Harsin told them not to recruit 

• Like 2

Probably not but he didn't do himself a single favor during his time at Auburn.  If he knew how to recruit his seat would not have gotten so hot so fast.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

Serious question: was Harsin ever given a chance to be successful (i.e. did he have enough buy-in and support at any point in time)?

Yes. Absolutely. 1000% he was given a chance. The margin for error and patience is small, but that’s why his paychecks are HUGE. 

It’s a big job and a hard job. But that’s the job. He just didn’t get it done.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

The people running the University have too much class to detail the reasons behind the investigation over the winter. It’s terrible that he had to go through that, but the sooner we can understand that the college football game as we knew it is changed—and is a business—the sooner we can accept that coaches that don’t succeed have to go…and ultimately they have no one but themselves to blame. 

in short answer: yes. 
He’s not a bad dude or a bad coach. This was just over his head. 

I agree. He may legitimately be a terrible coach though. His only success has come at a program where he’s spent his entire life. Just X’ and O’s I’ve seen nothing to indicate he’s a good coach. 

• Love 1

48 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Probably not but he didn't do himself a single favor during his time at Auburn.  If he knew how to recruit his seat would not have gotten so hot so fast.

And that is all on him. It's been stated ad nauseum, but he was in over his head AND he didn't take it serious enough.

How do you watch tape on Bama, LSU, and Georgia and not feel like you're wasting time watching film when you should be recruiting? lol Did it ever occur to him or his potato gang that they might want to live on the trail? No because they have never had to do that. That's why you don't hire people who don't have big time football experience.

• Like 3

I don't think he ever had 100% support from some he would need to be successful but at the same time I also think it was just a very bad fit for all involved.  He could be a great coach(don't really think this now) somewhere else but I don't think that was ever a possibility here.    I have no hate for him and it looks like despite him leaving us soon, he is still doing his job as well as he ever has.  He could be much more petty and still walk away with 15 million.  I look forward to a change.

Harsin is his own worst enemy. Don't let the national media or some bammers writing editorials sway the thought process. He had his chance......it's over. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

It's 50/50, Harsin was seriously undermined by a booster/boosters with false accusations though a mouthpiece mod on another site that blindly regurgitate the lies publicly BUT he has done absolutely nothing to help himself.  The OL was Gus's downfall and will be Harsin also. Harsin had last season (and spring practice) to 100% know he had the worse OL in the SEC and maybe the entire country but did absolutely nothing to make it better through the transfer portal (maybe he couldn't attract them from all the bad press)

Edited by keywest
  • Like 1

I think Auburn was very supportive of the vision Harsin sold, but Bryan Harsin did not have an understanding of what he needed to do to be successful here. 

You have to recruit, making inroads at the very least in Alabama and Georgia. You have to understand roster deficiencies and take steps to overcome them. You have to sell your program and yourself to the boosters, administration, media and fans. All of this is before you even get to X's and O's.  And these are the areas that made it very clear that Bryan Harsin was not going to succeed on a timeframe that any SEC school would accept. 

If he's going to limit himself to X's and O's, he needs to fall back to a position, coordinator or consultant job, probably for a smaller school. What college football has become, I'm not sure Pat Dye or even Bryant could succeed at. It demands a lot. If Auburn has fault in this, it's primarily in having a poor understanding of who they were hiring. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, aucom96 said:

I think Auburn was very supportive of the vision Harsin sold, but Bryan Harsin did not have an understanding of what he needed to do to be successful here. 

You have to recruit, making inroads at the very least in Alabama and Georgia. You have to understand roster deficiencies and take steps to overcome them. You have to sell your program and yourself to the boosters, administration, media and fans. All of this is before you even get to X's and O's.  And these are the areas that made it very clear that Bryan Harsin was not going to succeed on a timeframe that any SEC school would accept. 

If he's going to limit himself to X's and O's, he needs to fall back to a position, coordinator or consultant job, probably for a smaller school. What college football has become, I'm not sure Pat Dye or even Bryant could succeed at. It demands a lot. If Auburn has fault in this, it's primarily in having a poor understanding of who they were hiring. 

I would definitely agree, he has to recruit. I don’t believe recruiting footprint makes any difference as long as he gets them. If they come from Fla, Louisiana, or out west as long as they pan out and are rated as high recruits.

2 hours ago, aublue88 said:

I don't think he ever had 100% support from some he would need to be successful but at the same time I also think it was just a very bad fit for all involved.  He could be a great coach(don't really think this now) somewhere else but I don't think that was ever a possibility here.    I have no hate for him and it looks like despite him leaving us soon, he is still doing his job as well as he ever has.  He could be much more petty and still walk away with 15 million.  I look forward to a change.

I agree. This program has been lost for a lot of years. No AD anyone believed in and too much mediocrity over the last 12 to 15, barring the Title in 11. Yes, I thought BH may provide a new spin on things and get rid of some of the laziness from the last regime. He did that to a point, was vilified and then showed he was unable to recruit in the South. All I keep reading is hire the AD first and foremost and then deal with BH. AU is already so behind the 8 ball for 2023 recruiting, do what is really hurt by letting him finish the year. Certainly would cut down on buyout money, which we seem to be owing forever. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, aucom96 said:

My first day on the job I am visiting or at least calling the head coach at Grayson, North Gwinnett, Buford, Colquitt County, Hoover, Prattville, Thompson, Central-Phenix City, etc. Hell, I'd even reach out to the directors of each state's HS athletic association. Let everyone know you exist at least.

Did CBH ever step foot on Thompson's campus? or even Central's?

19 minutes ago, woodford said:

My first day on the job I am visiting or at least calling the head coach at Grayson, North Gwinnett, Buford, Colquitt County, Hoover, Prattville, Thompson, Central-Phenix City, etc. Hell, I'd even reach out to the directors of each state's HS athletic association. Let everyone know you exist at least.

Did CBH ever step foot on Thompson's campus? or even Central's?

There were several he missed but i forget which ones. remember when nick was buying high schools stuff? he was huge for him and he gathered a ton of goodwill by doing it.

On 10/17/2022 at 2:53 PM, passthebiscuits said:

The people running the University have too much class to detail the reasons behind the investigation over the winter. It’s terrible that he had to go through that, but the sooner we can understand that the college football game as we knew it is changed—and is a business—the sooner we can accept that coaches that don’t succeed have to go…and ultimately they have no one but themselves to blame. 

in short answer: yes. 
He’s not a bad dude or a bad coach. This was just over his head. 

Perfectly put. 

The only what if I have at this point is what if Bo doesn’t get hurt and Auburn finishes last season 9-3 or 8-4?  Does Auburn rack up commitments to end the year?  If Auburn beats Bama and wins a higher end bowl game does the February stuff even happen?  I guess Bo probably still leaves and Auburn still struggles this year but you may have seen a strong recruiting class over the summer with no dark cloud hanging over Harsin.  You’d have Fab and the Boys making up for Harsin’s lack of recruiting prowess during the struggles of the season and he’d enter 2023 on a hot seat but with a lot better roster situation than Auburn has right now.  Does he flame out in 2023 at that point?  Who knows.  

• Like 1