Why is Harsin still employed?

cbo

I've thought for months that the weekend before the bye week was the right time to fire Harsin. Give the interim some time to get his team together. Disappointed this hasn't been done yet and I don't want to hear about the AD situation or wheels in motion or whatever. 

The positives of firing Harsin far outweigh the negatives:

Positives:

Show the fanbase you care and that Harsin is not acceptable.

Get a jumpstart on salvaging this recruiting class. The recruiting staff, minus Harsin and his goofs, seem to be legit. They landed a top rated OT already. Give them more ammunition on the trail. No one wants to come play for Harsin. 

Send a message to the players that you will only accept the best for them in a coaching staff. I know that we might be in bad shape with an interim staff, but show them you give a damn and are trying. I guarantee Harsin will completely lose these players by the end of the season. Show that you care and maybe they will rally. 

I don't have to look at Harsin again. 

Negatives:

I don't know, some kind of potato joke. I'm too tired. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

Its in the bylaws - no coach ca be terminated without at least 3 weeks of the AUFamily  meltdown thread.  Until it’s dusted off, the university is paralyzed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Watch us beat Ark, Miss. St, and WKU and go to a bowl game without none of his help of course, but that those teams just lay an egg playing us that Saturday (minus WKU, talent should win that one). They give him another year lol.

Talk about meltdown.

Spite aside, I really don’t know what firing him and the other Potato guys do to actually help recruiting. In theory, it should show momentum, but I don’t know what it actually does for you 

I also think to put it bluntly, there’s no one else on staff that can put together something resembling a head coaching performance on the staff. Maybe it’s another egg on Harsin’s face, but we have virtually zero head coaching experience and the main staff doesn’t have another PCer outside of the Boise guys. 

41 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Spite aside, I really don’t know what firing him and the other Potato guys do to actually help recruiting. In theory, it should show momentum, but I don’t know what it actually does for you 

I also think to put it bluntly, there’s no one else on staff that can put together something resembling a head coaching performance on the staff. Maybe it’s another egg on Harsin’s face, but we have virtually zero head coaching experience and the main staff doesn’t have another PCer outside of the Boise guys. 

I would usually agree on the part about no one on staff that can put together something resembling a head coaching performance but really right now that includes Harsin. I mean it could be worse but really not sure how much worse it could be vs how Harsin is coaching at the moment, I mean we keep putting up records of the worst kind every week, lol.  I say give Zac or one of the other guys an opportunity, Harsin currently is not accomplishing anything and he sure isn't coaching them up, lol.

I wanted to see him gone after the UGA game...but really with the bye week there should be no excuse, if they go through the bye then he is going to be here the rest of the way, oh boy can't wait to see what dreadful records he breaks the rest of the season...:)

Edited by bishoptf
  • Like 1

It took me at least 2 minutes to figure out the potato reference... I can't take this chiz any more. Someone fire this guy so I get on with my life. #WDE

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bishoptf said:

I would usually agree on the part about no one on staff that can put together something resembling a head coaching performance but really right now that includes Harsin. I mean it could be worse but really not sure how much worse it could be vs how Harsin is coaching at the moment, I mean we keep putting up records of the worst kind every week, lol.  I say give Zac or one of the other guys an opportunity, Harsin currently is not accomplishing anything and he sure isn't coaching them up, lol.

I wanted to see him gone after the UGA game...but really with the bye week there should be no excuse, if they go through the bye then he is going to be here the rest of the way, oh boy can't wait to see what dreadful records he breaks the rest of the season...:)

Eh, we’ve had some disappointments, but outside of PSU/UGA, we’ve been right there in almost every game. Harsin has performed badly as a head coach, but that’s still a level that we don’t have from virtually anyone else on the staff. The head coach part shouldn’t even be the biggest aspect of my previous post - there’s no other play callers outside of the Boise guys. I think it would just be asking too much out of a bunch of largely inexperienced assistants to mimic a system on the fly 

• Like 1

If you fire him now then any player that wants to jump in the portal can.  They have a 30 day window to do that.  So why not let him run through the rest of the season? You won't get a coach hired to finish the season.  You may save a little on the buyout but not much. 

If you fired him now and players decided to bolt you may be playing walkons for the rest of the season.  I know it won't be that extreme but still could happen.  Also, we don't have an AD yet to start the search and that needs to be ready to go before firing him unless you have a deal made already.  Recruiting will take a dump but that isn't saying that much.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, AU_Tiger_88 said:

If you fire him now then any player that wants to jump in the portal can.  They have a 30 day window to do that.  So why not let him run through the rest of the season? You won't get a coach hired to finish the season.  You may save a little on the buyout but not much. 

If you fired him now and players decided to bolt you may be playing walkons for the rest of the season.  I know it won't be that extreme but still could happen.  Also, we don't have an AD yet to start the search and that needs to be ready to go before firing him unless you have a deal made already.  Recruiting will take a dump but that isn't saying that much.

I also think this is one of the biggest factors.  It also does nothing to fire him right now, it's not like we'll hire a new coach until December.

18 minutes ago, AU_Tiger_88 said:

If you fire him now then any player that wants to jump in the portal can.  They have a 30 day window to do that. 

The college football season will be over in 30 days.  I wonder how many would jump with such little time left in the season and those that choose to go would have to learn a new system with their new teams?

21 minutes ago, AU_Tiger_88 said:

Make a hire too late and you lose out on probably most of the better players in the portal plus get a slower start on saving a recruiting class. 

Next year we're going to be Vandy-bad with the roster we will have if we can't make up some ground in the portal. I think Auburn is being way too Auburn on this one and are not going to like the empty stadium seats in Jordan Hare next season. 

On 10/16/2022 at 10:48 PM, clwn said:

Watch us beat Ark, Miss. St, and WKU and go to a bowl game

That would be AUsome!   This would open the door for the possibility of the new coach getting a few practices with his new team to confirm how much work he needs to do in the portal!

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

The college football season will be over in 30 days.  I wonder how many would jump with such little time left in the season and those that choose to go would have to learn a new system with their new teams?

1 hour ago, aucom96 said:

Make a hire too late and you lose out on probably most of the better players in the portal plus get a slower start on saving a recruiting class. 

Next year we're going to be Vandy-bad with the roster we will have if we can't make up some ground in the portal. I think Auburn is being way too Auburn on this one and are not going to like the empty stadium seats in Jordan Hare next season. 

I understand what you are both saying but think about what the university has to do not in order:

a. Search for a new AD ; follow internal processes as it is a Gov entity; hire the new AD

b. Fire Harsin

c. Conduct a coaching search, this could include hiring a search group having a committee interview or AD interview or both.

- go through all of the coaching rumors and false starts as people even not interviewed will say they are not interested to get pay raises, etc...

not a quick process and yeah if they don't hire a good AD the rest of the sports programs will be affected.

I’ve wanted him out because I want to know that he’s gone. Even if we go to a bowl game, the product on the field has been almost record breakingly terrible, and recruiting is I believe the worst it’s ever been. He’s in over his head. So, I want him out now because I want to know for sure that we’re moving on. 

But there are some benefits to waiting. 
1. The players haven’t quit on him. As bad as of a job he’s doing, he hasn’t lost the team. If you do fire him, players might finally just call this season over. So we have a chance to steal one or two more wins if he stays. Having a better record will help the next coach recruit. 
2. There’s really no good option to take the interim job if we fire him. The assistant head coach is Zac, but he’s still a pretty green coach. Our coordinators are also potato boys that are in over their heads. So you wouldn’t want to put one of them in charge either. Again, 5-7 or 6-6 looks a lot better than 3-9 to a recruit. 
3. Let’s say they put Zac or Caddy in charge, would you want them to have to carry that likely losing record? Or would you rather Harsin finish the job and have to carry that with him?

At this point, he’s probably a dead man walking anyway. Unless there’s a miraculous turn around, our record will probably not be better than 6-6. The boosters hate him. Most of the fans hate him. Recruiting is in the dumps. Unless we make a really stupid AD hire, he’s out.

Edited by ScotsAU
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Harsin just got a shoutout on College Gameday of who deserves to be on the hot seat. 

YEP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  and did you see the piece about Bo Nix? It was very well done. 

3 hours ago, AU_Tiger_88 said:

What makes you think players would bolt? King and Calzada have already decided thanks but no thanks and taken a redshirt. It would probably improve team morale, its not like the players dont know whats coming. Recruiting has already improved under the assumption Harsin wont be back.

1 minute ago, CR said:

What makes you think players would bolt? King and Calzada have already decided thanks but no thanks and taken a redshirt. It would probably improve team morale, its not like the players dont know whats coming. Recruiting has already improved under the assumption Harsin wont be back.

I don't know if they would bolt or not.  However, it is a risk with the new portal rules.  Also, as someone mentioned the team hasn't quit on him as of yet.  So there is that also, they might if he is fired who knows.  We are talking about young people who sometimes go on their emotions.  I get that some have shut it down and taken a redshirt, that is how they avoided losing a s*** show year.  I don't have a dog in the hunt but I do try to list why they may or may not be doing things.  If you really want to know, get a fake press badge and get an interview with the interim AD

2 hours ago, AUinMS9528 said:

That would be AUsome!   This would open the door for the possibility of the new coach getting a few practices with his new team to confirm how much work he needs to do in the portal!

Harsin is on the sideline through the IB, I think

Just now, EagleEye67 said:

Harsin is on the sideline through the IB, I think

I think you’re right.  😢

I was talking about the possibility of us hiring a guy in time to be at some of the bowl practices if we somehow wind up winning six games.   

• Like 1

On 10/17/2022 at 1:48 AM, Systems said:

It took me at least 2 minutes to figure out the potato reference... I can't take this chiz any more. Someone fire this guy so I get on with my life. #WDE

I see what you did there.