10/14/22 Auburn Articles

aubiefifty

How to watch Ole Miss football vs. Auburn Tigers on TV, live stream Saturday

Francisco Guzman
1-2 minutes

Ole Miss football is set to host the Auburn Tigers on Saturday.

The game is scheduled to begin at 11 a.m. CT at Vaught Hemingway Stadium in Oxford, Mississippi.

The Rebels enter the game unbeaten (6-0) after beating Vanderbilt 52-28 last weekend. The Tigers enter the game 3-3 after a loss to Georgia last week.

Here is everything you need to know to watch Saturday's game.

How to watch Ole Miss football vs. Auburn on TV, live stream

c60efc45-9c5e-491c-948c-51c3962ede23-NAS

Start time: 11 a.m. CT on Saturday, Oct. 15

TV: ESPN

On DirecTV, ESPN is channel 206. On Dish, ESPN is channel 140.

Online live stream: ESPN.com/watch

Online radio broadcast: Ole Miss Radio 

Read more Ole Miss football news

OLE MISS VS. AUBURN:Coaching rumors hover over Ole Miss-Auburn − but don't ask Lane Kiffin for hot-seat advice

LANE KIFFIN:Ole Miss football coach Lane Kiffin explains icy postgame exchange with Vanderbilt's Clark Lea

REPORT CARD:Report card: Ole Miss football proves slew of long TDs can hide plenty of mistakes

Bryan Harsin discusses area of focus for Auburn against Ole Miss

Corey Long
2-3 minutes

Bryan Harsin could be leaning on the run game this weekend when Auburn travels to Vaught-Hemingway Stadium to take on No. 9 Ole Miss.

It was a recipe for success last season when the Tigers racked up 211 yards on the Rebels in a 31-20 win at Jordan-Hare Stadium.

The running lanes haven’t been there for Bigsby this year. The junior had 147 yards rushing in the season opener against San Jose State, but has been held to 51 yards or less in the five games since. With dual-threat quarterback Robby Ashford getting the lion’s share of the snaps now, it’s possible that the running game could benefit.

Ole Miss has been hit-or-miss against the run. They were stout against Kentucky for the most part two weeks ago, but gave up 262 yards on the ground earlier in the season against Tulsa.

Corey Long is a freelance writer for SaturdayDownSouth.com. Follow Corey on Twitter @CoreyLong.

What Bryan Harsin said to preview No. 9 Ole Miss on Tiger Talk

Updated: Oct. 13, 2022, 7:25 p.m.|Published: Oct. 13, 2022, 5:53 p.m.
4 minutes

Auburn (3-3, 1-2) seeks to rebound from a two-game losing streak when the team travels for a road game against No. 9 Ole Miss (6-0, 2-0). Tigers’ head coach Bryan Harsin spoke to Auburn Radio Network broadcasters Andy Burcham and Brad Law less than 48 hours before kickoff at Vaught-Hemmingway Stadium.

Auburn is 13-2 in Oxford and has won six consecutive games against Ole Miss. Harsin won his first game against Ole Miss last season at Jordan-Hare. The Tigers had a 6-2 record after beating a top-10 Rebel team. The Tigers are looking for their first win against a ranked opponent since last October’s win against Ole Miss.

Here are some highlights from Harsin’s chat with reporters here on AL.com.

-- Harsin starts his chat by discussing how the Tigers handle hostile crowds. Auburn had some pre-snap penalties partly because of crowd noise against Georgia. Auburn started the season with five straight home games before last week’s road contest.

“Once get on the field, it’s still football,” Harsin said. “It’s about us playing sound football for 60 minutes.”

-- Harsin said he thought Robby Ashford did well in handling the pressure of his first road start last week. He expects improvement from Ashford as he continues to develop.

“I thought poise was good,” Harsin said. “I thought he operated pretty well. I thought, overall, he made some good decisions.”

--Harsin said Ashford is learning how to manage the emotions of the game as a quarterback.

“He played against a good defense and will learn from that,” Harsin said. “I expect him to take the lessons from last week into the Ole Miss game. I expect him to get better.”

-- Harsin said the Ole Miss defense is much improved from last season. He complimented their ability to rush the quarterback.

-- Harsin says the team was less physical in practice during week seven.

“You can’t ever pull back completely because you have to ensure you’re preparing the players,” Harsin said. “We must prepare them for the speed and physicality before they play. But there has to be a balance to keep them healthy.”

- Harsin says his priority is keeping players healthy and fresh each week.

-- Harsin said the offensive line has to do a great job at blocking to open up opportunities for Tank Bigsby and Jarquez Hunter.

“We have to work together to move the defense,” Harsin said. “We must make sure we can go and attack and be better in the run game.”

-- Harsin complimented Hunter’s work ethic on offense and special teams. Hunter had a 62-yard touchdown against Georgia and was the kickoff team’s first player down the field.

-- Harsin wants players to hone their emotional energy. He doesn’t want them too excited, but a balance of aggression with control.

-- Harsin says Ole Miss can rush the quarterback in several ways.

“They’re a sound defense, Harsin said. “They’re playing at a high level on defense, and that’s why they’re undefeated this season.”

-- “We don’t want to give up penetration on the offensive line,” Harsin said. “We must move the line of scrimmage to give our running backs a chance to get to the second level. That’s how we had success against them last season.”

-- Harsin complimented offensive lineman Kam Stutts on how he’s rebuilt his body in the weight room.

If you purchase a product or register for an account through one of the links on our site, we may receive compensation.

Friends turned foes: 2 Auburn transfers set to greet Tigers at Ole Miss

Published: Oct. 13, 2022, 7:05 a.m.
6-8 minutes

Auburn will be greeted by a couple of familiar faces across the field at Vaught-Hemingway Stadium this weekend.

JJ Pegues and Ladarius Tennison, a pair of former Auburn signees in the 2020 class, will be suiting up against their former team Saturday when ninth-ranked Ole Miss (6-0, 2-0 SEC) hosts Auburn (3-3, 1-2) in Oxford, Miss. The two former Tigers are among the 19 players who transferred from Auburn in the offseason and are part of the group of 14 that Rebels coach Lane Kiffin plucked from the transfer portal this year.

Read more Auburn football: Bryan Harsin provides update on injured QB T.J. Finley

Does Auburn’s offense have an identity crisis at midpoint of season?

Auburn’s poor run-blocking has Tank Bigsby mired in mediocrity

“Me and LT, we talk just about it — we’re just like, take it as a normal game, take it as any other opponent, but we also know we got love for them on the other side,” Pegues said this week. “But at the end of the day, there’s only one goal — to get the win.”

Pegues and Tennison have acclimated themselves well this season to their new SEC West team, which heads into this weekend’s matchup with the nation’s 11th-best scoring defense (14.5 points per game). Pegues, an Oxford native, has appeared in five games at defensive tackle while Tennison has played in all six games for Ole Miss, making five starts in the secondary.

A former four-star prospect who signed with Auburn as a tight end before making the move to defensive tackle, Pegues has 10 tackles, with one sack and a quarterback hurry for the Rebels this season. The 6-foot-2, 315-pounder is coming off a three-tackle performance against Vanderbilt in which he also made a return to the offensive side of the ball, serving as a lead blocker on one of Ole Miss’ four rushing touchdowns in the 52-28 win.

While at Auburn, Pegues became a fan favorite as a freshman, lining up at tight end and getting snaps in a super-sized Wildcat package, though he finished the 2020 season with just five carries for 14 yards, seven catches for 57 yards and completed his only pass attempt. He switched over to defensive tackle ahead of his sophomore season, recognizing he had a better long-term outlook on that side of the ball. Pegues posted 17 tackles with two for a loss and a forced fumble last fall for the Tigers.

In six games this season at Ole Miss, Tennison has 23 tackles, with 4.5 for a loss and a pair of pass breakups, plus two fumble recoveries—one of which he returned for a touchdown. He has worked into an expanded role after appearing in 23 games during his two seasons on the Plains. He had 43 tackles, including 4.5 for a loss while seeing time at nickel and serving a key role on special teams for Auburn.

Tennison hit the transfer portal at the end of the regular season last November, becoming the fifth Auburn player at the time to leave the program. He said this week that part of the reason he decided to leave Auburn was the opportunity to “change up my game.” He believes he has done that in his first season at Ole Miss.

“I got smarter, just being able to learn a lot of things from this type of defense, from the coaches, so I feel like I changed a little bit,” Tennison said.

Pegues entered the portal Jan. 17, becoming the sixth defensive lineman to leave Auburn in the offseason and the 15th overall player to transfer out during a tumultuous offseason of turnover for Harsin’s program. As a native of Oxford, transferring to Ole Miss made plenty of sense for Pegues, who also expressed a desire to remain in the SEC West, which he described as the toughest division in college football, even if it meant having to go up against his former team annually.

When Pegues hit the portal, Kiffin didn’t hesitate to contact him; it was a chance to bring the homegrown product back to Oxford, since Kiffin didn’t have much of an opportunity to recruit him when the coach took over at Ole Miss. Kififn was hired Dec. 6, 2019, and Pegues committed and signed with Auburn 12 days later during the early signing period.

In fact, Kiffin said, the first time the two ever really got to talk was after Pegues’ name showed up in the portal.

“Me and Lane talked about it a little bit,” Pegues said. “We just joke around about it, how he says I never gave him an opportunity to recruit me, but it was really just deep into my recruitment, and I was more to the Mississippi-Alabama (All-Star) game, and I just really had my mind set on one thing. I just didn’t want any other burdens, because for a high schooler that’s a lot to deal with, and going to the Mississippi-Alabama game was really important to me. I was really just locked into that. We really just joke about it every now and then.”

That’s not all Kiffin jokes about, either. When asked Wednesday during the SEC coaches teleconference if he makes note of potential portal players to look out for on opposing teams when watching film, the coach some Rebels fans have dubbed the Portal King deadpanned: “Sure, we’re getting ready to play against a number of them” this weekend when Auburn visits Vaught-Hemingway Stadium.

Kiffin clarified that portal scouting is more of an offseason endeavor, but he’s certainly pleased with the two transfers he plucked from the Plains earlier this year.

“They’re both really neat kids, enjoyable to be around, high energy, fun—you know, which you don’t always necessarily know because you’re dealing with the portal; it’s different recruiting than recruiting guys for years,” Kiffin said. “…Really cool kids, really good players, and glad they’re here.”

As for Pegues and Tennison, the two seem excited about the opportunity to see some familiar faces — several of whom they have stayed in touch with — Saturday, even if they’re on the opposing sideline. During those 60 minutes of action, though, it’s all business.

“You just focus on where you’re at, where your feet are at, just being there and not having too many emotions,” Pegues said. “…I still love them, like I said; they’re my friends, but at the end of the day, I’m playing them, so they’re my enemy until the end of the game.”

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

Bryan Harsin talks about impact of Jarquez Hunter on Auburn offense

Rolando Rosa
2 minutes

Auburn will have a tough test when they head to undefeated No. 9 Ole Miss on Saturday. However, the Tigers are hoping their sophomore running back will provide a boost in his homecoming.

Mississippi native Jarquez Hunter could be just the spark Auburn needs to stun the Rebels. Auburn coach Bryan Harsin was effusive in his praise about not only Hunter’s skills, but also his intangibles and desire.

Hunter has tallied 159 yards and four scores on the ground this season. The 5-foot-10, 202-pound ball carrier scored 3 touchdowns in a 42-16 win against Mercer on Sept. 3. Hunter has also caught 8 passes for 180 yards and 2 touchdowns during his sophomore campaign.

Hunter earned SEC all-freshman team honors last season. Hunter’s 597 rushing yards was 9th all-time for an Auburn freshman. Hunter additionally set an Auburn record with a 94-yard touchdown run vs. Alabama State.

Auburn is coming off a 42-10 loss at No. 2 Georgia for its second straight defeat. Auburn’s last win came in overtime vs. Missouri on Sept. 24.

Auburn leads the all-time series 35-10 vs. Ole Miss. The Tigers have captured 6 consecutive wins in the series. Auburn-Ole Miss is slated for a noon ET kickoff and will be televised on ESPN.

Q&A with Auburn beat writer Justin Ferguson

MICHAEL KATZ Daily Journal
7-9 minutes

OXFORD — The Daily Journal caught up with Justin Ferguson of The Auburn Observer to see what he considers the keys to the Ole Miss-Auburn matchup.

There’s been a lot of talk about Bryan Harsin’s job security. What’s your read on the whole situation, and how has the team responded to everything going on around it in that regard? How has Harsin evaluated the season thus far?

If Bryan Harsin is going to be fired at any point during the season, it will most likely come after this game against Ole Miss. The Tigers are off next week, which would give them time to set up an interim and try to get some positive momentum going before hosting Arkansas toward the end of the month.

Halfway through Year 2, Auburn is going backwards under Harsin. The offense is one of the worst in the Power 5 when it comes to putting points on the board. The defense has held its own but continues to take on injury concerns. On top of that, the Tigers have the fewest 2023 commitments in the SEC and are only ahead of Missouri in the recruiting rankings. There's little-to-no reason for fans to believe that Harsin can turn this around.

To Auburn's credit, this is a team that continues to play extremely hard and says all the right things in this situation. It's just not playing good football — at all. Harsin now has a losing record at Auburn, and he doesn't seem to have any answers as to how to fix this.

Auburn’s win over the Rebels last season was a turning point — though not in a good way — as the Tigers lost all the rest of their games. What happened after that victory?

Auburn was riding high after that nice win over Ole Miss, which is honestly the last impressive victory it's had as a team. The Tigers won at the line of scrimmage against the Rebels last season, then they went to Texas A&M and got dominated up front. A week later, Bo Nix suffered a season-ending injury and the defense blew a giant lead to Mississippi State.

With T.J. Finley at quarterback, Auburn was unable to get much of anything going on offense for the rest of 2021. The Tigers' defense helped them get leads, but they blew all of them in the second half.

This season, the offensive line has regressed, the quarterback situation has suffered without Bigsby, and the defense doesn't have the exact same depth and top-level talent as it did the last time Ole Miss faced Auburn. The Tigers are 3-8 since then, with two wins coming against non-Power 5 teams and the other one coming with Missouri literally handing the game to them.

It’s been a bit of QB carousel, largely due to injuries. What does Robby Ashford bring to the table? If I’m not mistaken, he was an Ole Miss commit. Has he talked about that at all?

We haven't talked to Robby Ashford in a few weeks, so he hasn't talked on the record about once being committed to Ole Miss. I think Ashford would have been a good fit for Lane Kiffin's offense, with the steady diet of RPOs and a commitment to a strong running game.

Ashford is a great athlete who can keep plays alive with his legs, avoid the constant pressure the offensive line gives up and take chunks of yards as a runner. He's also been an upgrade from both Finley and Nix in terms of deep-ball accuracy.

However, in Auburn's more pro-style offense, he's asked to do a lot as a short- and intermediate-level passer. That's just not his game at this point in his career, as he's at the bottom in the SEC in accuracy and efficiency on non-deep balls this season. As such, you can expect to see a mixed bag of results for him against Ole Miss.

How would you evaluate Tank Bigsby’s season so far?

It's pretty much impossible to evaluate Tank Bigsby's season because of how poorly Auburn has played in front of him. Bigsby is getting hit at or behind the line of scrimmage on almost every carry. He's averaging less than a yard before contact per carry. Almost everything he's gotten has been after he breaks a tackle.

Bigsby is going to go down as one of the most gifted backs to come through Auburn in a while, but he's never played behind a good offensive line. He's made little to no impact in games over the last month, and it's honestly because he can't find any room to run behind this line. It's been a waste of all his talent.

What’s the strength of the Auburn defense? Who are the players to watch for?

Auburn is at its best along its defensive front, where it has some top-notch pass rushers. Derick Hall, a Mississippi native, has been playing some of the best ball of his career and is towards the top of the SEC in quarterback pressures. Colby Wooden, a versatile defensive lineman, is coming off a few really strong games in a row. Both of those guys are potential All-SEC players with good NFL Draft futures.

The Tigers aren't as strong at linebacker or defensive back as they have been in the past, but D.J. James has been excellent in the first half of the season. He's a cornerback transfer from Oregon who is disruptive when the ball is in the air and has one of the best coverage grades in the conference. I would expect him to draw the assignment of Jonathan Mingo quite often on Saturday.

Auburn has won six-straight against Ole Miss with a couple different coaches. Has there been a common theme in those games that’s given Auburn a decisive edge?

Auburn beats Ole Miss at the line of scrimmage more often than not. The Tigers usually have more talent and depth in the trenches, and that's how you can pull off a winning streak like this.

This year, Auburn's offensive line is the worst it's been in a while and has taken on several injuries. The defensive line has been its biggest strength — and will most likely be the key to staying in this game — but it can still be prone to giving up big running plays and already has lost a talented edge rusher in Eku Leota for the season.

Ole Miss, meanwhile, looks a lot better on the offensive line and on defense. Kiffin and his staff have done a great job building this roster to be more competitive with the traditional powers in the SEC, while Auburn has regressed in this department.

If Auburn wants to make it seven in a row against Ole Miss, _____ has to happen.

This has to be a low-scoring, defensive slugfest where Auburn can handle Kiffin's offense for what would be the third year in a row. The Tigers have to take care of the ball — they're one of the nation's worst in turnover margin this season — and get some big impact plays on defense and special teams to help out a boom-or-bust (mostly bust) offense.

Stay in it until the fourth quarter, play clean football and hope for the big plays to go your way. If any of those things go the other way, you're probably looking at a comfortable Ole Miss win at home.

Newsletters

MICHAEL KATZ is the Ole Miss athletics reporter for the Daily Journal. Contact him at michael.katz@djournal.com.

3 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

We’ve traveled to a new planet where there’s at least 19 months to one year. 

That planet is lush and covered with a 100 foot canopy of cannabis.

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

• aubiefifty changed the title to 10/14/22 Auburn Articles

sorry boys it was a typo and i missed it because i have to check my sugar every morning now. the 9 and the 0 are right by each other. do not by gawd make me sick golf on you boys.he cannot run fast on them bony knees but he can sling a full can or pbr almost seventy yards...................

Edited by aubiefifty

Why Auburn's entire O-line needs to 'think like a center'

ByNathan King 10 hours ago

If Auburn is to have any hope of upsetting No. 9 Ole Miss this weekend — or winning just a few more games in the back half of the regular season, for that matter — its deficiencies along the offensive line require the utmost attention.

Some of the team’s sporadic O-line issues from the past couple seasons — compounded with multiple injuries and the preseason loss of a starter — have now come to a head in 2022, with the Tigers now severely lacking in run-blocking, and not overly impressive in pass protection.

There’s been reshuffling up front almost every other week, with Tate Johnson being inserted as the starting center after Nick Brahms medically retired before the season, Brandon Council being moved from left guard to center after Johnson’s season-ending elbow injury, and now both starters on the right side of the line — guard Alec Jackson and tackle Austin Troxell — both having sustained injuries against Georgia that caused them to leave the game and not return. Even if they are both available this weekend in Oxford — Bryan Harsin didn’t share any update this week — the current starting five hasn’t shown much improvement this year, especially in run-blocking.

Finding a rhythm in the second half of the season starts with communication, Harsin said, and that can’t be only the center’s job.

“It’s really all five guys,” Harsin said Thursday evening on Tiger Talk. “The O-line is such a difficult position because you are getting a variety of looks. Every single one of those guys has to be prepared; they have to know what they’re getting. We say the center is the guy directing all of it, but everybody has to play like a center. You’ve got to think like a center.”

Case in point: After the LSU loss, where Auburn had its best Power Five performance of the season on the offseason line, Council said the improvements were simple, and that the unit as a whole was more consistent at pre-snap communication. That, combined with a continually growing rapport with quarterback Robby Ashford, who’s only started three games, gave the offense a better sense of confidence on a play-to-play basis.

Ashford’s side of the equation is one thing; against Georgia he had a whopping seven throwaways and had the worst completion rate for an Auburn QB (34.2%) in a decade. But the Tigers’ only allowed 15 pressures in the game, per Pro Football Focus — a unsatisfactory but not completely unmanageable number — especially when compared to the 40 they gave up against Penn State.

Five pre-snap penalties for the offense against Georgia didn't inspire confidence in that vein of communication, either.

The bigger issue has come in the ground game, where preseason first team All-SEC running back Tank Bigsby has been rendered highly ineffective, and the Tigers are averaging just 2.9 yards per carry against Power Five teams — their lowest clip in those games since the dreaded 2012 season.

According to Football Outsiders, which tracks offensive line success rates using an NFL model, Auburn is averaging only 2.4 line yards per carry — which gives the offensive 100 percent credit for rushing yardage between 0-3 yards, and 50 percent credit for 4-8 yards — which is also the team’s lowest mark since 2012.

“We’ve got to work together to move that line of scrimmage,” Harsin said. “We’ve got to dent that defense. That’s what’s going to give us a chance to get to the second level and third level, which is what we did last year.”

Left tackle Kilian Zierer and left guard Kameron Stutts, who moved from right guard to left when Council slid over to center, have been more consistent than others, giving the Tigers a decent left side of the line to lean on moving forward.

Stutts in particular might be having the best season among Auburn’s offensive line. A senior and former three-star, in-state recruit, Stutts had appeared in only three career games prior to this season, but had a strong offseason and supplanted veteran Keiondre Jones as the starting right guard in the preseason.

Now at 6-foot-5 and 339 pounds, Stutts has allowed the fewest quarterback pressures (four) among Auburn’s starting O-linemen this season, per PFF, and against Georgia had the team’s highest run- and pass-blocking grade.

“He transformed his body; that was number one,” Harsin said of Stutts. “He did a lot of things in the weight room that made him the player that he is. He’s in better shape; he’s able to move; he’s faster; he’s more physical; he’s stronger. Then overall, just experience — knowing how to prepare, knowing how to play. That’s what’s showed up so far.”

In its second straight top-10 road game, Auburn kicks off in Oxford at 11 a.m. CST on ESPN.

1COMMENTS

*** Subscribe to Auburn Undercover for the latest news and intel, podcasts, recruiting coverage and more ***

*** Get Auburn news straight to your inbox with the Auburn Undercover newsletter ***

Players to watch, keys to victory against Ole Miss - The Auburn Plainsman

7-9 minutes

On Saturday, Auburn will travel to Oxford, Mississippi, to fight for its fourth win of the season  against the Ole Miss Rebels coming off consecutive losses in conference play. 

Additionally, Auburn (3-3) is hoping for their first win against a ranked opponent against No. 9, undefeated Ole Miss. 

In contrast, Ole Miss is fighting to keep its spot in the top 10 and redeem themselves after a slow start against Vanderbilt last week. The Rebels have been working up the ranks since the beginning of the season, starting at No. 21 in the pre-season rankings.  Now, with a 6-0 record, they broke the top 10 and have proven to be a team that finishes strong.

"Well, they were pretty good last year. They are better (this year)," said head coach Bryan Harsin. "Again, they have made improvements. You can see the guys are playing with confidence. They've got momentum, and I think that impacts really the whole team."

Regarding the coaching, Bryan Harsin is in desperate need of a win to provide some momentum to his team and to cool down the hot seat he appears to be in, especially after the back-to-back SEC losses and last-minute overtime win versus Missouri that proceeded the win against San Jose State. 

After beating the Spartans to get off to a 2-0 start, the Tigers have not been able to put up over 17 points in a game.

Since joining the Rebels, head coach Lane Kiffin has not yet beaten the Tigers. Last year, No. 10 Ole Miss fell to a No. 18 Auburn team, despite having numerous opportunities to take the lead.

“Huge game coming up – a team that has beat us twice and has really good players,” Kiffin said.

Last Saturday, nothing seemed to be working for the Tiger offense; Auburn totaled 110 rushing yards and 165 in passing, leading to its solo touchdown in the fourth quarter. 

Running back Tank Bigsby ran only for 19 yards on 10 attempts, averaging 1.9 yards, in contrast to his 45 yards and 12 carries against LSU.

Players to watch

Auburn 

Jarquez Hunter (RB)

In last week’s game, he was Auburn's leading receiver with three receptions for 73 yards and Auburn’s solo touchdown. Additionally, he was the second leading rusher, behind quarterback Robby Ashford. He has consistently shown he is tough to bring down running the ball. His hands are pretty sure too, making him a dual threat and hard to cover.

Oscar Chapman (P)

With the Tigers struggling to move the ball, Chapman has punted 28 times this season, averaging 41.9-yards a punt to put the opposing offense deep in their own territory on a consistent basis. Currently, he is ranked third in the SEC in punting and has been a help to the defense and Auburn in winning the field position battle. 

Robby Ashford (QB)

Ashford led the team in rushing and passing yards last week and has shown he can be an offensive threat through both. He can scramble once the pocket collapses and is quick to run for a gain. Ole Miss has the number one tackling defense in the SEC, so the threat of Ashford being a running quarterback will be crucial for positive yardage plays. 

Enjoy what you're reading? Get content from The Auburn Plainsman delivered to your inbox

Moreover, if he connects with the receivers down the field, it will open more opportunities for him to run, since the defense will be spread out.

OLE MISS

Jonathan Mingo (WR)

Mingo leads the SEC in receiving yards, and last week against Vanderbilt, he had the most receiving yards in a single game by any college football player this season. He racked up nine receptions for 247 yards. Once he is open he is a reliable target, so if the Tiger secondary gets caught sleeping, Mingo will make explosive plays for long gains.

AJ Finley (S)

For the season, the Mobile, AL. native is tied for the most tackles on Ole Miss (45) and is ranked seventh overall in the SEC for tackles. He maintains tight coverage and has one interception against Kentucky. He also has a forced fumble and a fumble recovery this season. He might be crucial against a turnover-prone Auburn team.

Running backs 

Also from Alabama, freshman starting running back Quinshon Judkins is second overall in the SEC for rushing yards with a total of 581 yards this season, averaging 6.1 yards per attempt and 96.8 yards per game. He has been explosive since his collegiate debut against Troy, when he had 87 yards and a two-yard TD off the bench. 

Behind Judkins is junior running back from Houston, Texas, Zach Evans. Against Vanderbilt, he led the team in rushing with 80 yards on 11 carries and a TD. Evans gives the Rebels a strong, experienced backup, and he has proven to be a playmaker in big games.

Keys to Victory 

Auburn

For Auburn to win, it will need to give Ashford more time in the pocket. Ashford is a young QB who needs the time to create plays and go over every option, and that will be a concern against Ole Miss, who's third in the SEC in sacks (16).

With that being said, the Tigers need to develop a pass game. Auburn has proven to have a strong run game with two reliable running backs and a mobile QB, but Ole Miss’s defense will defend the run game. Running more passing plays will cause the defense to spread out and then the running backs can find holes and get into the secondary. 

“I think (we need to run) the ball, but you have got to be able to balance it out to by throwing it," Harsin said. "You don't want to get one-dimensional. You still have got to throw it and still need to be able to hit some easy throws. You have got to be able to hit some big plays."

Ole Miss

Ole Miss needs to play a defensive game and win time of possession. If Auburn establishes a run game, then it could be a threat. 

Additionally, the defense needs to overwhelm Ashford and the Auburn QBs. When the pocket collapses, Ashford is forced to throw out of bounds or attempt to run, and that is when he is prone to fumble. Ashford has six fumbles in three SEC starts thus far. 

Offensively, the Rebels need to utilize Mingo and burn Auburn on long passes. The senior can outrun the cornerbacks, and it will be difficult for the Tigers to slow down QB Jaxson Dart and the Rebel passing game. 

Auburn has shown they are more a first-half team this year, jumping out to early lead but only scoring 10 second-half points in its three SEC games this season, and if Ole Miss keeps the intensity up and moves fast the whole game, that trend might continue in week seven.

The game will kick off at 11 A.M. from Oxford, Miss. on Saturday and will be broadcast on ESPN.

"They (Ole Miss) have a lot of things going on. They're feeling it right now. They’re a very good opponent," Harsin said. "It is going to be a challenge for us as we get ready for these guys to go on the road and again handle the noise, handle the travel. We haven’t handled all those things.”

Do you like this story? The Plainsman doesn't accept money from tuition or student fees, and we don't charge a subscription fee. But you can donate to support The Plainsman.

Share and discuss “Players to watch, keys to victory against Ole Miss” on social media.