Proposed candidate checklist

auburnatl1

A proposed simple coaching candidate checklist. (*note - “visualize” - prior accomplishments, knowledge, reputation, and personal skill set establish possibility something could/would happen): 

1)if you can “visualize” a coach disrupting the current sec order and winning 4* and 5* battles and assembling an upper echelon staff (ie they’d at least a prayer to take on Kirby and Saban mano y mano).  Interview candidate. 

2) If you can “visualize” a coach in front of a grand jury, NCAA,  or in the tabloids - for god knows what. Don’t interview candidate.

The actual interview tries to determine the realistic odds of “possible” actually happening.  Its more complicated than this (political stuff, ect). But way down deep it really isn’t. With this checklist I’d suggest there are 3-4 names max. If you chose to ease  the checklist  - “being better”, “solid”, “8-9 game avg” and/or you dont mind having to use “personal redemption” 4 times to describe a candidate  - the candidate list will get… longer. 

Thoughts?

Edited by auburnatl1

Not singling you out sir, but I think a lot of people are missing an important point regarding recruiting. 

I don't feel it's entirely necessary to compete with Kirby, and Nick head to head. By that I mean that we are not going to out recruit Kirby in GA, nor Nick in AL. 

We can hope to maybe win a battle, or two, but I think what's important is for us to win battles in our usual recruiting strong holds against everybody else. 

Clemson has been a thorn in our side in our own backyard for several years now.  FL State is winning more recruiting battles against us than they should as well. Add in Tennessee, Ohio State, and a few others and that's where the problem truly lies I believe. 

If we can pull in a couple against Bama, and GA, and consistently beat the rest we will see the level of athletes here dramatically increase. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Eagle-1 said:

If we can pull in a couple against Bama, and GA, and consistently beat the rest we will see the level of athletes here dramatically increase. 

Single me out away. If what youre saying is that you don’t feel we can win recruiting extensively in any one state/geography so instead pick our battles and try to target in various areas. It’s reasonable and historically been our approach.  Personally im not sure a top tier program can consistently sustain without “owning” a base geography (which imo has been one of our chronic problems) - it’s a mindset. Football isn’t basketball but Pearl “owns” Atlanta.  It’s been trending for years. He targeted it. He did it (which also starved uga). AU was an afterthought before. I believe Deion (for example) could do the same and add other major areas. Maybe it’s naive or just testosterone, but it’s why I said we need a  “disruptor”. 

Edited by auburnatl1

19 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

Single me out away. If what youre saying is that you don’t feel we can win extensively in any one state/geography so instead pick our battles and try to target in various areas. It’s reasonable and historically been our approach.  Personally im not sure a top tier program can consistently sustain without “owning” a base geography (which imo has been one of our chronic problems) - it’s a mindset. Football isn’t basketball but Pearl “owns” Atlanta.  It’s been trending that way for years.  AU didn’t before. I believe Deion (for example) could do the same and add other major areas. Maybe it’s naive or just testosterone, but it’s why I said we need a  “disruptor”. 

Yeah, I'm starting to warm up to the idea of Deion myself. 

Auburn needs some kind of an anomaly to attract talent. Chizik had some good recruiters on staff initially. Gus was able to attract some talent on the offensive side because of the perception of him being an offensive guru. I could get on board with trying Deion with the hope he could take recruiting to the level we need. After all, if he's not a success it's not my money😁