Tulsi Gabbard says she is leaving the Democratic Party

aubiefifty

Tulsi Gabbard says she is leaving the Democratic Party

Dylan Stableford
Dylan Stableford
·Senior Writer
Tue, October 11, 2022 at 8:43 AM·2 min read

Tulsi Gabbard says she is leaving the Democratic Party.

In a video posted to Twitter, the former U.S. congresswoman from Hawaii — who mounted an unsuccessful campaign for the 2020 Democratic presidential nomination — said she can “no longer stomach” the direction that “woke Democratic Party ideologues are taking our country.”

“I can no longer remain in today's Democratic Party that's under the complete control of an elitist cabal of warmongers,” Gabbard said, “who are driven by cowardly wokeness who divide us by racializing every issue and stoking anti-white racism, who actively work to undermine our God-given freedoms that are enshrined in our Constitution, who are hostile to people of faith and spirituality, who demonize the police but protect criminals at the expense of law-abiding Americans who believe in open borders, who weaponize the national security state to go after their political opponents and above all, who are dragging us ever closer to nuclear war.

“Now I believe in a government that's of the people, by the people and for the people,” Gabbard continued. “Unfortunately, today's Democratic Party does not. Instead it stands for a government that is of, by and for the powerful elite.”

The 41-year-old U.S. Army Reserve officer, who represented Hawaii's Second Congressional District from 2013 to 2021, said she is calling on “fellow common sense, independent-minded Democrats” to join her in leaving the party.

She posted a similar, lengthy statement online explaining her departure.

Tulsi Gabbard at a Democratic presidential debate in 2019.

Tulsi Gabbard at a Democratic presidential debate in Westerville, Ohio, on Oct. 15, 2019. (Shannon Stapleton/Reuters)

During the 2020 Democratic primary, Gabbard participated in several debates, sparring with fellow candidates over foreign policy.

She also sued Hillary Clinton for seeming to suggest that Republicans were “grooming” Gabbard to be a spoiler as a third-party candidate. Clinton, who did not mention Gabbard by name, further suggested that she was “the favorite of the Russians.” (Gabbard eventually dropped her lawsuit.)

Gabbard won just two delegates during the primary, both from American Samoa. She dropped out of the race in March 2020 and endorsed Joe Biden.

Since leaving Congress, Gabbard has been a regular on Fox News, even serving as a fill-in host for Tucker Carlson.

The reaction to her announcement was swift, at least on Twitter. Shortly after the video was posted, the phrase “Good riddance” was trending.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, homersapien said:

Didn't say if she was joining the Rethuglicans.  She'd fit right in.

9 hours ago, AUDub said:

6f6.jpg

Several ways to read that. :laugh:

I have never gotten why the Dems hate Tulsi so ******* much. I mean I know she doesnt follow the narrative.....Wait, I think I just figured it all out. ;)

Edited by DKW 86
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

I have never gotten why the Dems hate Tulsi so ******* much. I mean I know she doesnt follow the narrative.....Wait, I think I just figured it all out. ;)

When she went full on apologist for Assad and his regime she lost me forever. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

Oh she's following the narrative all right - the Republican narrative.

Or is it you think only Democrats have a "narrative"? 

(Which would be your narrative.)

4 hours ago, AUDub said:

When she went full on apologist for Assad and his regime she lost me forever. 

That never happened. There’s that narrative thingy again. 

4 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Oh she's following the narrative all right - the Republican narrative.

Or is it you think only Democrats have a "narrative"? 

(Which would be your narrative.)

She talked to Assad about exploring a non-war option. Her being a soldier would make that important to her. But of course it was not what the MIC wanted and voila’ she is now a villain forever in the eyes of a few. 

31 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

That never happened. There’s that narrative thingy again. 

Yeah it did. 

During her unauthorized trip to Syria she just so happened to bump into Assad, held a meeting with him, got shown around a bit and came back even more adamant that he didn't gas his own people when it had been undisputably proven that he had.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

this move is probably in her best interest moving forward. 

She'd certainly win more votes as a Republican presidential candidate than she did as a Democratic one. 

I still LOL at her Russia-Ukraine takes. She swallowed Russian propaganda hook line and sinker and even one time said that press/media freedom in Russia was about the same as it was in the United States, which is a ridiculous claim. 

Edited by CoffeeTiger
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, pensacolatiger said:

I mean - the writing is on the wall, poopy pants killed the party.  Rats…….sinking ship.  

She's been more popular on the right than the left for a long while now, hence all the appearances on Tucker's White Power Hour

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CoffeeTiger said:

I still LOL at her Russia-Ukraine takes. She swallowed Russian propaganda hook line and sinker and even one time said that press/media freedom in Russia was about the same as it was in the United States, which is a ridiculous claim. 

That is a legit complaint. I fell for the No Ukraine War thing to tho, so I take my lumps as well.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

Follows Putin’s narrative. See why you love her.

2 hours ago, pensacolatiger said:

I mean - the writing is on the wall, poopy pants killed the party.  Rats…….sinking ship.  

This rat was called out a long time ago— from Republicans & Democrats.

12 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Follows Putin’s narrative. See why you love her.

Oh I am sure you think all active military people betray the nation they are sworn to protect daily...

• Facepalm 1

30 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

Oh I am sure you think all active military people betray the nation they are sworn to protect daily...

Nah. Just the ones that do. I’m sure you think Flynn is normal.

1 hour ago, TexasTiger said:

Nah. Just the ones that do. I’m sure you think Flynn is normal.

Absolutely not. I think Flynnhas publicly lost his mind several times over the last 7 years. 

2 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

Gabbard’s approach to Syria is built upon two core beliefs about U.S. foreign policy. First, the United States must leave behind its recent history of engineering the downfall of foreign regimes. Second, the U.S. military’s top priority should be to eliminate terrorist groups such as ISIS and Al Qaeda. From these two premises, a third foundation of Gabbard’s foreign policy can be inferred: that the United States must sometimes tolerate the existence of brutal foreign governments, especially if they share a common interest in fighting the same terrorist groups as America.

None of these are radical assumptions about American foreign policy. Indeed, Gabbard’s anti-interventionism is tightly aligned with the prevailing zeitgeist in U.S. politics. According to polling data, voters today are opposed to U.S. involvement in Yemen, supportive of a withdrawal from Afghanistan, and roughly evenly split on the question of whether the United States should cease operations in Syria. Military veterans are among those most critical of the so-called “forever wars” in Afghanistan, Iraq, and elsewhere.

Gabbard’s insistence that the U.S. military should focus on counterterrorism rather than regime change is also well within the mainstream of political opinion. In this regard, Gabbard is not unlike the last Democratic occupant of the Oval Office. After all, it was Barack Obama who, as a candidate for the presidency, explicitly coupled his headline promises to end the Iraq War and shrink America’s overall military footprint with a commitment to ramp up the fight against Al Qaeda and their Taliban enablers in Afghanistan and Pakistan.