Matt Rhule should be #1 on our List

AUinMS9528

20 minutes ago, Auburnguy101 said:

I never said I was Nostradamus. I just know that he will not be successful given our current circumstances. If Grimes was hired in 2012, I could see him being good here. However, Auburn needs immediate impact and positivity, he brings none of that. It would not excite anyone and his recruiting is no where near the level of what we could have in other coaches. So, there are your facts. Plus, I’ll say again, he has jumped around many jobs and there is a reason he hasn’t become a head coach yet. Sorry, I don’t see instant contender when I look at his resume and recruiting prowess…

Im not Nostradamus, I just KNOW whats going to happen. Sorry, couldnt help myself.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, KansasTiger said:

Im not Nostradamus, I just KNOW whats going to happen. Sorry, couldnt help myself.

No worries. I get it. Again, as I’ve said before, there is no sure fire coach this coaching cycle. Also, I’m tired of the retreads and/or coaches who have had ties with Auburn. Nothing about Grimes screams championship. Don’t you think if he was that good that some power 5 program would have chosen him already? That’s my point. He would be a typical Auburn hire though so I wouldn’t be surprised if it were him…

33 minutes ago, DAG said:

Well that was inferred by me because I am smart man 🤣.

I am going to take that as Deion Sanders is working hard behind the scenes. 

I'll take it lol 😂

I'm really concerned about just who will be hired. It's not like they've come back with future HOF coaches. And please, please, please, don't name the university after him because he has ONE good year.

16 hours ago, Auburnguy101 said:

I get it, people have their preferences. I just look at Grimes and I see nothing special or anything that screams he can make us better than what we have been doing. Yes, he would be better than Harsin, any coach would be. However, if our goal is to win championships, we need someone who would make an immediate impact. As I’ve said, unfortunately for this coaching cycle, every coach has huge flaws and just bring no excitement. That’s why I would go all in on Deion, he’s the only one who could recruit with the top programs and give us a huge morale boost to our program. I have no doubt he would be able to bring an NFL caliber staff as well. As I’ve said before, there are people with money in the Auburn program who want Deion and I’m hoping we can at least interview him…

In the SEC West plus playing UGA every year no coach is going to have an immediate impact especially with our current roster and the fact that some of the best players on that Roster like Hall will be gone next year.  Even with the Portal we won't get enough quality O-Line and D-Line to be at a level where we have enough talent to compete with bama and UGA out of the gate. The Portal might bring us to decent year 1 and 2 and a great recruiting coach can get the type players we need. Don't get me wrong there are quality players to be had in the Portal but there is a limited number of them in the O-Line. 

We need a coach who can build us back up. The Portal will help but it is not a panacea.   So far of the candidates that people have talked about to me two stand out Grimes and Ruhle I would he happy with either of them but I would not expect either to turn us around especially in year one there is to much talent gap both in starters and depth pieces.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

In the SEC West plus playing UGA every year no coach is going to have an immediate impact especially with our current roster and the fact that some of the best players on that Roster like Hall will be gone next year.  Even with the Portal we won't get enough quality O-Line and D-Line to be at a level where we have enough talent to compete with bama and UGA out of the gate. The Portal might bring us to decent year 1 and 2 and a great recruiting coach can get the type players we need. Don't get me wrong there are quality players to be had in the Portal but there is a limited number of them in the O-Line. 

We need a coach who can build us back up. The Portal will help but it is not a panacea.   So far of the candidates that people have talked about to me two stand out Grimes and Ruhle I would he happy with either of them but I would not expect either to turn us around especially in year one there is to much talent gap both in starters and depth pieces.  

Not true whatsoever. There is one coach who if hired would bring in a lot of talent immediately: Deion Sanders. We don’t need a program builder, we’re not Vanderbilt or some sanctioned school who has no talent. Deion would immediately get recognition from the top portal players as well as top uncommitted players if hired. Grimes would be seen as meh and take 3-4 years to see any kind of progress and unfortunately Auburn does not have time to just wait to see if he would be good. Auburn needs to find the coach who can be the most elite recruiter and hire assistants can develop and coach those players. Deion is the only that it is realistic that can do those things…

2 hours ago, Auburnguy101 said:

Not true whatsoever. There is one coach who if hired would bring in a lot of talent immediately: Deion Sanders. We don’t need a program builder, we’re not Vanderbilt or some sanctioned school who has no talent. Deion would immediately get recognition from the top portal players as well as top uncommitted players if hired. Grimes would be seen as meh and take 3-4 years to see any kind of progress and unfortunately Auburn does not have time to just wait to see if he would be good. Auburn needs to find the coach who can be the most elite recruiter and hire assistants can develop and coach those players. Deion is the only that it is realistic that can do those things…

I agree, if we can get him. I have my doubts on that though. I think just like we did when we hired Harsin, we will try to stay in 5-6 m range and try to guess right.

6 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

I just don’t think Rhule will come here for less than Kirby/Saban money. I don’t think we are willing to go that high.

We paid Gus $21.5 million. We're going to pay CBH $15+. I really hope we're not bargain hunting for our next coach. 

1 minute ago, soblfly said:

We paid Gus $21.5 million. We're going to pay CBH $15+. I really hope we're not bargain hunting for our next coach. 

Harsin is about 8th in SEC on pay. Not bargain hunting but not Kirby/Saban money either. Remember, all money paid to Rhule as HC backs off what he gets from Carolina (40 m I think). He is going to want big money right now. After he sits for awhile he may be willing to accept less unless he likes announcing (I’m sure he will get a contract as that doesn’t back any NFL money down).

2 hours ago, Auburnguy101 said:

Our number one weakness but not our only weakness is the O-Line.  I doubt if there were 10 SEC ready O-Line in the Portal last year.  I don't doubt Deion would have name recognition and get a great HS class and a good number of Portal players. My point is even Deion won't be able to pull in the number of players we need on the O-Line as we are so depleted. As we have seen over last few years if O-line can't block the offense stalls. 

One bad player on O-line is enough to disrupt whole offense. If you think Deion could pull 5 or 6 O-Linemen out of the Portal when other teams also want them you are not being realistic.  If we went the Deion route while not my first choice I would not be upset but I don't think we would see a one season turn around. The best we could hope for is a winning record 1st year and then a slightly better record second year.  We have the least amount of O-line depth of any team in the SEC and after our Covid seniors leave it will be even worse. 

Even a good defense wears down when O goes 3 and out over and over. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Our number one weakness but not our only weakness is the O-Line.  I doubt if there were 10 SEC ready O-Line in the Portal last year.  I don't doubt Deion would have name recognition and get a great HS class and a good number of Portal players. My point is even Deion won't be able to pull in the number of players we need on the O-Line as we are so depleted. As we have seen over last few years if O-line can't block the offense stalls. 

One bad player on O-line is enough to disrupt whole offense. If you think Deion could pull 5 or 6 O-Linemen out of the Portal when other teams also want them you are not being realistic.  If we went the Deion route while not my first choice I would not be upset but I don't think we would see a one season turn around. The best we could hope for is a winning record 1st year and then a slightly better record second year.  We have the least amount of O-line depth of any team in the SEC and after our Covid seniors leave it will be even worse. 

Even a good defense wears down when O goes 3 and out over and over. 

We were a 2 year minimum rebuild when Harsin was hired and have only put ourselves further behind since.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

We were a 2 year minimum rebuild when Harsin was hired and have only put ourselves further behind since.

I agree that is why I don't believe any coach we bring in can do an immediate turn around. I think a minimum of 3 years even with the Portal.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I agree that is why I don't believe any coach we bring in can do an immediate turn around. I think a minimum of 3 years even with the Portal.

I think 2 years is possible with the portal.   But we’d have to hit several home runs in recruiting and portal.   I agree, 3 is more likely.   

• Like 1

On 10/12/2022 at 7:59 PM, Auburnguy101 said:

No worries. I get it. Again, as I’ve said before, there is no sure fire coach this coaching cycle. Also, I’m tired of the retreads and/or coaches who have had ties with Auburn. Nothing about Grimes screams championship. Don’t you think if he was that good that some power 5 program would have chosen him already? That’s my point. He would be a typical Auburn hire though so I wouldn’t be surprised if it were him…

I agree. Also, Pittman from Arky seems to have fallen back to earth. It’s just a crap shoot, but personally, I would prefer a guy with some HC experience in the SEC, or at the least, a higher up Coordinator from a successful program. Yes, that does not automatically mean success as HC, but look what Smart has done learning under Saban. Honestly, win or lose tomorrow, I think Heupel has done wonders for Tennessee, which goes against my thoughts of being an SEC person, but maybe he is the exception. 

31 minutes ago, Old fan 47 said:

I agree. Also, Pittman from Arky seems to have fallen back to earth. It’s just a crap shoot, but personally, I would prefer a guy with some HC experience in the SEC, or at the least, a higher up Coordinator from a successful program. Yes, that does not automatically mean success as HC, but look what Smart has done learning under Saban. Honestly, win or lose tomorrow, I think Heupel has done wonders for Tennessee, which goes against my thoughts of being an SEC person, but maybe he is the exception. 

Most coaches nowadays are crap shoots. There are very few coaches that would be considered sure fire. Lincoln Riley was when he was at Oklahoma. Smart was Saban’s right hand man, people knew he was going to be really good. Brian Kelly had  a great record at Cincinnati and made Notre Dame relevant again. Other than those hires, it’s really a crap shoot. That’s why me and others are clamoring for Deion. All things being equal, go for the guy who is an elite recruiter and can attract the most talent. Having experience doesn’t mean anything nowadays. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is the definition of insanity. Auburn continues to hire the same coaches with the same backgrounds and it’s gotten us nowhere consistently. Yes, we’ll have those special seasons, but those are every 5-6 years sandwiched between mediocre seasons. I don’t know about you, but I’m tired of the rollercoaster seasons. Go get Deion and see what he can do, it’s not like we’ll regret missing out on these other coaches who will probably flame out in 4 years anyways…

1 hour ago, Auburnguy101 said:

Most coaches nowadays are crap shoots. There are very few coaches that would be considered sure fire. Lincoln Riley was when he was at Oklahoma. Smart was Saban’s right hand man, people knew he was going to be really good. Brian Kelly had  a great record at Cincinnati and made Notre Dame relevant again. Other than those hires, it’s really a crap shoot. That’s why me and others are clamoring for Deion. All things being equal, go for the guy who is an elite recruiter and can attract the most talent. Having experience doesn’t mean anything nowadays. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is the definition of insanity. Auburn continues to hire the same coaches with the same backgrounds and it’s gotten us nowhere consistently. Yes, we’ll have those special seasons, but those are every 5-6 years sandwiched between mediocre seasons. I don’t know about you, but I’m tired of the rollercoaster seasons. Go get Deion and see what he can do, it’s not like we’ll regret missing out on these other coaches who will probably flame out in 4 years anyways…

I can agree with this statement, as long as DS hires really good coaches around him to assist. If he did the same thing Harsin has done and hires his buddies, I doubt the results are too much different, even with a talented roster. 

1 hour ago, Auburnguy101 said:

Riley was definitely a good bet. Smart was definitely not a sure thing (but definitely known as great recruiter). Most even said at the time that he was not a great DC as they gave Saban all the defensive credit., no more than say Venables was. Kelly was a good bet but was still a risk. Agree Sanders is a good risk due to the probability of his recruiting prowess. He akso seems to have a strong NFL staff.

Edited by Hank2020

17 minutes ago, Old fan 47 said:

I can agree with this statement, as long as DS hires really good coaches around him to assist. If he did the same thing Harsin has done and hires his buddies, I doubt the results are too much different, even with a talented roster. 

Look at his staff at JSU. It’s littered with coaches who have NFL experience and college experience alike. He would put together a dynamic staff no doubt…

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Riley was definitely a good bet. Smart was definitely not a sure thing (but definitely known as great recruiter). Most even said at the time that he was not a great DC as they gave Saban all the defensive credit., no more than say Venables was. Kelly was a good bet but was still a risk. Agree Sanders is a good risk due to the probability of his recruiting prowess. He akso seems to have a strong NFL staff.

That’s what I mean. Usually there are couple of can’t miss names in a year when coaching changes happen that are can’t miss. This is not one of those years. The candidates people list on here and other boards are the definition of meh and average. Here’s the question for everyone: who’s the coach most capable of elevating Auburn from what Gus did at Auburn? Freeze? Outside of all of the off the field baggage, his on the field product is mediocre and had a losing record to Gus. He had one 10 win season but beat UAT twice and people automatically flock to him because of that. Also, he’s a terrible person. Next. Kiffin? He makes so many boneheaded decisions that have cost him so many games, sounds familiar? Next. Dave Aranda. Had a great year last year but his first year and now his year he has been struggling. An ok recruiter but nothing like we need. Next. Grimes. No head coaching experience, which I have heard many people say it’s a must. Also, wonder why he has never had a head coaching job? Next. My point is that none of these coaches are can’t miss or coaches that we would regret no taking. For me, Deion is the one that is completely different and has the highest potential. But again, it’s Auburn, the place where mediocre coaches come to get paid at a Saban-like salary with 7-8 wins a year records..

• Like 1

I agree Kirby is really good but I'm not sure he would have been that good if he had taken an HC job somewhere else. Perfect match at UGA.

On 10/13/2022 at 4:52 AM, cbo said:

You must sleep a lot. 

Was a typo.....should have been 11:00pm, 2:30am, 6:30am.  Live in Indonesia.

7 hours ago, AUinMS9528 said:

I think 2 years is possible with the portal.   But we’d have to hit several home runs in recruiting and portal.   I agree, 3 is more likely.   

If Auburn doesn’t find a QB along with an OL it will all be for nothing.  Auburn is going to need a lot of help with DL and some LB’s too