Matt Rhule should be #1 on our List

AUinMS9528

58 minutes ago, DAG said:

I am expecting to see elite line play and a first round pick QB in the making then. All I’ve heard is he has the best offense of any candidates that we have discussed. 

Well I'm sure he'll keep that in mind:poke:

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Well I'm sure he keep that in mind:poke:

Clearly since he is working behind the scenes part time to recruit for Auburn. Totally professional BTW. :whistle:

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

Clearly since he is working behind the scenes part time to recruit for Auburn. Totally professional BTW. :whistle:

Show me you're naive without saying it. And you're not naive, so why the manufactured shade?

5 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Show me you're naive without saying it. And you're not naive, so why the manufactured shade?

How am I naive when that was alluded to in the recruiting forum, Mr inference ?

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

How am I naive when that was alluded to in the recruiting forum, Mr inference ?

Thinking that, in college football, working behind the scenes in unprofessional is naive.

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Thinking that, in college football, working behind the scenes in unprofessional is naive.

Is that what I said ? I don’t think I said that . Re-read it again. If he supposedly the OC at Baylor but he is recruiting for Auburn currently , that is okay right ?

Just now, DAG said:

Is that what I said ? I don’t think I said that . Re-read it again. If he supposedly the OC at Baylor but he is recruiting for Auburn currently , that is okay right ?

My apologies. FTR, He isn't recruiting for Auburn.

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

My apologies. FTR, He isn't recruiting for Auburn.

Fair enough . That’s is what my perception was based in the recruiting thread .

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Auburnguy101 said:

And he’s not even that good of an offensive coordinator. Baylor’s offense is really struggling this year, just like how BYU’s offense struggled his last year there. His offenses are great the first year but then teams adjust to him and he’s nothing but average in his second years. 

They lost their Top 3 receivers (one of which was a 2nd round pick) and Top 2 RB's from last year's roster, all of whom graduated. That is a lot to lose for a school like Baylor all in one year; this isn't Alabama where they can just reload with the next batch of 5-stars the following year and everything keeps turning without a hitch.

Your "stats" on BYU are completely wrong as well. He was there from 2018-2020. 2020 was the season that Zach Wilson ended up being drafted 2nd overall and BYU was ranked in the ~Top 5 in total offense. So BYU most definitely did not "struggle" in his final season there. He started at Baylor the following year, in 2021.

Edited by metafour
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DAG said:

I am expecting to see elite line play and a first round pick QB in the making then. All I’ve heard is he has the best offense of any candidates that we have discussed. 

Just hard for me to get juiced up bout Grimes. I haven't really researched him though. I'm just trying to figure out the appeal of him.  He was here 2 or 3 yrs. Did he reel in a bunch of 5*? Was the line play that good? Is he our  Sam Pittman? Someone explain the appeal

5 minutes ago, metafour said:

They lost their Top 3 receivers (one of which was a 2nd round pick) and Top 2 RB's from last year's roster, all of whom graduated. That is a lot to lose for a school like Baylor all in one year; this isn't Alabama where they can just reload with the next batch of 5-stars the following year keeps turning without a hitch.

Your "stats" on BYU are completely wrong as well. He was there from 2018-2020. 2020 was the season that Zach Wilson ended up being drafted 2nd overall and BYU was ranked in the ~Top 5 in total offense. So BYU most definitely did not "struggle" in his final season there. He started at Baylor the following year, in 2021.

Besides here, Check out what his OL did at LSU.

1 minute ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Just hard for me to get juiced up bout Grimes. I haven't really researched him though. I'm just trying to figure out the appeal of him.  He was here 2 or 3 yrs. Did he reel in a bunch of 5*? Was the line play that good? Is he our  Sam Pittman? Someone explain the appeal

Let’s hope he is not Sam Pittman. That is for sure . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

Let’s hope he is not Sam Pittman. That is for sure . 

I mean, I get OL is our glaring weakness. But, hope we not just including Grimes cause of that. We need help EVERYWHERE on offense from players to play calling. But, Bird and Golf seems to think it could be a good hire. So I will defer to them till I can research Grimes more

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

For me it's a few things.

He runs an adaptive offense, not a "system".  Those coaches are typically better X&O guys.

His offense has been proven effective at different places.

He has developed players at every stop and put them in the league.

He has been a very successful recruiter in the SEC at multiple stops.

He is very good at reading and working a room.  He can manage personalities very well across all spectrums.

He relates very well to players and families.

He is a good man and father.

The Power, $$$, and Admin would all be behind him for the first time in ages. 

He is highly thought of in the industry. His coaching network is extensive.  He could assemble a dynamic staff. 

He has previous connections with the area coaches and schools from his time here and LSU.

He doesn't have any negative associated with him or his career.  

His pedigree indicates a high probability of success.

There are others, but you get it or you don't 

• Like 6

16 hours ago, Mike2686 said:

Out of that list for me it is Rhule all day. He won at the top G5 level. He won at the Big 12 level. He took over two dumpster fires and had them rolling. He might not have made it in the NFL, not many college coaches do. Sure he just got fired. FROM THE NFL. Saban was FIRED from the NFL. Kiffin was FIRED from the NFL. So have numerous other college coaches who made the jump. Auburn alone will land you a top 15-20 class. Any coach worth his weight can pull in a few studs to balance it out to the top 7-10. It's not hard here. Rhule with his college history and NFL pedigree; not just as a head coach, but he was an offensive line coach for the Giants as well could recruit successfully here. Now with the transfer portal the way it is, you can literally change your team in an offseason. Need linemen? Go get them. Need a QB find the type you like and go get them there are usually a ton in the portal. For me I would have a friend of a friend of a friend on the phone with one of Seth Hennigan's (Memphis) friends yesterday. No way he stays at Memphis for his Junior season. Need other positions? Depth maybe? Go get them. In my opinion when it comes to this, Rhule is the guy who will have the patience, and know how to get this done and would likely be happy making Auburn his home until he retires if he is good enough.

Kiffin is probably gone to Nebraska unless he really loves Ole Miss and Deion will jump to Florida State the moment they call him.

While the transfer portal era sample size is still pretty small I am fairly certain that there have not been a plethora of SEC quality OL and QBs available.  Sure, there are some, but not enough that you can just assume that all of our woes could be fixed through it in one or even two seasons.

15 minutes ago, bigbird said:

He runs an adaptive offense, not a "system".  Those coaches are typically better X&O guys.

He is very good at reading and working a room.  He can manage personalities very well across all spectrums.

He is highly thought of in the industry. His coaching network is extensive.  He could assemble a dynamic staff. 

He has previous connections with the area coaches and schools from his time here and LSU.

Thanks, good analysis,  saved me alot of research. 

16 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Show off

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, bigbird said:

All of this. He would be a steal imo.

I would trust his judgement to build a staff. 

From Baylor's website:

"Since 2000, 17 offensive linemen that played under Grimes have been selected in the NFL Draft including three first rounders (Levi Jones, Nate Solder and Greg Robinson)."

Edited by woodford
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, bigbird said:

We get it, he's from Texas /s

Edited by W.E.D
  • Haha 4

36 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Regardless of who ends up as the HC just the thought of everyone being on the same page and not self induced internal strife is the true gold standard. I absolutely believe that if everyone in the PTB/BOT/Boosters group went in the same direction we could become the next powerhouse in college football.

• Like 3

Let’s see Chizik was here with Tubs at a time Auburn achieved an undefeated season. Hire Chizik. Gus was with Chizik when we won the natty. Hire Gus. Get to the natty and two SEC title games, winning one. Then Gus flames out. So now we get off the formula and hire Harsin, and it does not work. So now let’s go back to the same formula we have used the past two decades or so. Hire a coach that was part of a successful regime at Auburn (albeit temporary) All which worked in the interim but never led to sustained success. If hired we shall see if the formula of picking from the same tree yields different results. I like Grimes, did a good job while here, and I will get behind the hire. But let’s look at what others did…LSU - hired a coach who had been to the playoff twice, maybe 3 times. UGA hired a coordinator who was part of several championship teams at Bama. OSU promotes an OC who was part of a National title, Michigan hired an established NFL and college coach who had been to a SB. I just want Auburn to air higher this time around and if we miss so be it, but let’s not settle and not shoot for the big fish.