Matt Rhule should be #1 on our List

AUinMS9528

Interesting. Temple & Baylor (his 2 college HC gigs) were horrible in every way, shape & form the first 2 seasons he coached them, before big-time turnarounds in season 3. I remember watching Baylor get absolutely dismembered end of his 2d year. His recruiting is better than average w/ a few blue chippers but not top tier SEC caliber. Y'all were going postal 2 games into Harsin's 2d season (after he took Bama to 4 OTs in season 1), what makes you think you have the capacity for adult deferred gratification historically needed for gRuhl?

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, SRBautigerfan said:

I read somewhere that Rhule was 0-11 against ranked opponents while at Baylor so who knows.  He had back to back winning seasons there before he bolted for the NFL.  Maybe a little prematurely, idk.

If we’re going after a Baylor coach, I’d rather have Aranda.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Interesting. Temple & Baylor (his 2 college HC gigs) were horrible in every way, shape & form the first 2 seasons he coached them, before big-time turnarounds in season 3. I remember watching Baylor get absolutely dismembered end of his 2d year. His recruiting is better than average w/ a few blue chippers but not top tier SEC caliber. Y'all were going postal 2 games into Harsin's 2d season (after he took Bama to 4 OTs in season 1), what makes you think you have the capacity for adult deferred gratification historically needed for gRuhl?

1-11 (after the fallout from the scandal)

7-6

11-3

Speaks for itself. My ONLY issue is the 0-11 stat.

1 minute ago, keesler said:

Everyone would rather have Aranda. Everyone would rather have Saban, too. 🙃

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Strychnine said:

Considering that he grew up, and has spent his entire coaching career in the state of Ohio, he might be quite happy there.

He got his team to the CFP last year.  He has zero experience recruiting at a big time SEC level and he be more like a fish out of water down here.  I just don’t see him jumping into this firestorm down here, going up against some of the nations top coaches every year.  But maybe he wants a change of scenery and wants to take on a massive challenge?

13 minutes ago, MadtownTiger said:

For what it's worth, he's got twelve or so players from Florida, Georgia, and Tennessee, so he has at least modest experience in our immediate footprint.  And I didn't include the handful of guys from Kentucky (or the punter from Australia).

WDE!

If he is hired I hope I'm wrong. 🤞

• Like 1

Fickell unlike Harsin broke new ground and is a nationally relevant name. He actually *would* be like Meyer when Florida got him.

Not going to happen, of course.

Edited by AUwent

11 minutes ago, keesler said:

Did I miss the thread where we all decided Aranda was trash? If so, what was the reasoning?

The current situation could be a win-win for us, as perhaps we have a better shot at Aranda if Rhule ends up at Nebraska.

18 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Whatever dude he didn’t land any 5 star recruits nor land a top 10 recruiting class at either Baylor or Temple. 

6 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Fickell unlike Harsin broke new ground and is a nationally relevant name. He actually *would* be like Meyer when Florida got him.

Not going to happen, of course.

Fickle is a fantastic coach. He would do well anywhere in the country. AU would be blessed to have him in my opinion 

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

Whatever dude he didn’t land any 5 star recruits nor land a top 10 recruiting class at either Baylor or Temple. 

So was your list earlier satire? Listing Trooper twice and referring to him as "Towel" in one mention? If not, what was your source?

• Facepalm 1

Who has turned around worse teams in terrible situations than Matt Rhule? Shoot and he did it quickly. We would be out our dang minds if we didn’t hire him and a chance. I know we only have an appetite for Chip Lindsey but let’s think outside the box a little. In all honesty that guy would not think twice about choosing Nebraska over us. It’s the way we treat coaches.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AUwent said:

So was your list earlier satire? Listing Trooper twice and referring to him as "Towel" in one mention? If not, what was your source?

Yeah, thought it was obvious. Trooper Towel 🤦‍♂️ he might get it

• Love 1

1 hour ago, gr82b4au said:

I know nothing about him. He seems like a real winner but we already hired a guy that has no southern experience and it was the biggest failure in AU history. Does he have contacts down here? 

Lemme help you out:

4509906D-1456-4E58-ACDF-1668353B9A04.png

21 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

Yeah, thought it was obvious. Trooper Towel 🤦‍♂️ he might get it

Poe's law, my friend.

image.gif

Edited by AUwent

4 hours ago, AUinMS9528 said:

Rhule would be in my top 10, about 7th.  I’d put Freeze, Kiffin, M Stoops, Deion, Grimes  and Aranda ahead of him.  He’d lead over Muschamp, Meyer, Lashlee, Mullin, O’Brien, and others.  I have no idea which candidates would consider Auburn, but I’m hoping for Freeze, Kiffin or M Stoops.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Timeslider 6 said:

Why is no one talking about M. Stoops? I mean really, why isn't anyone talking about Stoops?

I agree. Definitely put him on my long list. Has done well at UK. 

He never beat a ranked team and was hired straight to head coach in the  nfl. Just say that 3 times.  He either must be one hell of an interview or the owner is nuts.  I judge all candidates primarily on whether 1) they could directly challenge (not annoy) saban or Kirby 2) they’re not a hot drama mess. Doubtful about first but respectful about how he cleaned up a Baylor train wreck.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

He’s a troll! 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, auburnatl1 said:

He never beat a ranked team and was hired straight to head coach in the  nfl. Just say that 3 times.  He either must be one hell of an interview or the owner is nuts.  I judge all candidates primarily on whether 1) they could directly challenge (not annoy) saban or Kirby 2) they’re not a hot drama mess. Doubtful about first but respectful about how he cleaned up a Baylor train wreck.

To be fair, in his 3rd year at Baylor he only played 2– Oklahoma & UGA — and was competitive against both.

BFF981B0-8312-49B4-9743-146E57E873AF.jpeg

15 minutes ago, Timeslider 6 said:

Why is no one talking about M. Stoops? I mean really, why isn't anyone talking about Stoops?

Because every season around week 5 he starts loosing.........hell we had that with Gus.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

Because every season around week 5 he starts loosing.........hell we had that with Gus.

Yep, if he keeps losing he may just get canned before Harsin.

3 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

Yep, if he keeps losing he may just get canned before Harsin.

He'll be safe at Kentucky where 7 win seasons equal success.