Not firing him yesterday was a mistake

AUght2win

The "good news" is that we're not going to beat this OM squad.  We're lacking talent at too many key positions to beat good teams.

Edited by dyehardfanAU
  • Like 1

Just because he isn’t officially gone doesn’t mean that there isn’t progress being made on multiple fronts. 

That said, it is really hard to be a nobody that don’t know jack squat right now. I just have to have faith that the right decisions are being made….👀

2 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

This makes me think we are still trying to fire him with cause OR we are hoping he takes another job to do away with the buyout. Or I could be way off base on both fronts

That’s been my thoughts the whole time. Though he’s flopped here, Harsin is a marketable coach. We’re just hoping someone takes him off our hands. Personally I like the strategy. The season is going to have similar outcome either way. Can’t lose top recruits that you don’t have. Having no coach on Dec 1 isn’t any better than a known coach who’s tenure is ending. 

They may even have a side deal worked out. Like hey, take another job and we won’t hold the entire buyout against you/them. Doubtful, but maybe.

6 minutes ago, kwagoner said:

That’s been my thoughts the whole time. Though he’s flopped here, Harsin is a marketable coach. We’re just hoping someone takes him off our hands. Personally I like the strategy. The season is going to have similar outcome either way. Can’t lose top recruits that you don’t have. Having no coach on Dec 1 isn’t any better than a known coach who’s tenure is ending. 

They may even have a side deal worked out. Like hey, take another job and we won’t hold the entire buyout against you/them. Doubtful, but maybe.

Seems to be complicated.  But hopefully wheels are turning

• Like 1

I think our defense can slow down OM for a while but at some point they will wear out from staying on the field because of the lack of offense.  It’s the same story every Saturday.  Awful O line means no running game and that means Robby back there running for his life trying to throw the ball to receivers with little or no separation.  Just a horrendously coached offensive football team and I don’t think the coaches have a clue about how to fix it.  

• Like 1

I don't really see us beating ole miss.

Yeah, our Defense will keep us competitive early on, but I expect our offense to be as listless and unproductive as usual and that'll give OM enough possessions to wear out our D's depth and energy and start getting the points piled on. 

17 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Ain't happening everyone needs to be patience. Ii know it almost impossible but we got to do this right.

We all wanted him weeks ago

Listen to the wisdom of the ages.  Golf is right (as always, unless it's politics or grammar).

Harsin sort of checkmated us by bringing in his Boise staff.  At the moment, you just cannot replace that many people.

12 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

Listen to the wisdom of the ages.  Golf is right (as always, unless it's politics or grammar).

Harsin sort of checkmated us by bringing in his Boise staff.  At the moment, you just cannot replace that many people.

Why would we have to fire the Boise Guys before the end of the season if Harsin is let go before then?  I would think the only staff changes would be whoever gets promoted to interim would have their original spot filled with someone like Trovon Reed.

Edited by dyehardfanAU
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Why would we have to fire the Boise Guys before the end of the season if Harsin is let go before then?  I would think the only staff changes would be whoever gets promoted to interim would have their original spot filled with someone like Trovon Reed.

I think that level of dysfunction would make our current level of dysfunction look like a dream.  Who do you think the Boise guys allegiance is to,,, Harsin or, Auburn?

As the wise man said, "we have to do this right".

19 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Putting myself out there with this take, so feel free to razz me if I’m way off. But we’re going to play OM close Saturday and maybe even beat them.

Auburn is 35-10 all time against Ole Miss. We’ve beaten them 6 in a row. We seem to beat them even when they’re at their absolute best, like last year. Auburn just almost always beats OM, period.

They’re obviously a much better overall team than us this season. But the talent gap isn’t enormous. We’ll be the best defense they’ve played (I would think we’re better than Kentucky). Vandy put up big offensive numbers on them Saturday. And Kiffin’s analytics can blow a game fast.

If we do upset them, we’re likely stuck with Harsin until the end of the year. That completely destroys recruiting with the fact that 80% of kids sign on ENSD. 

Had we canned him yesterday, we’d have 10 weeks to distance ourselves from Harsin before ENSD. We’d have guys like Cadillac or Zach (who have a good chance of being retained on the next staff, regardless of HC) promising  that the next coach is going to be incredible, and that we’re moving on.

I just don’t understand our PTB. They wanted him gone in February. Why wait another day? Every hour that passes with CBH still at the helm is actively hurting the program. 

I’ll never root against Auburn. But we’ll be in a real disastrous situation if we win Saturday.

So in other words, the QB for the first time EVER is not going to turn the ball over multiple times?

Did you know the team has yet to give up or have a vacation day?  They have been playing at top form including an OL that doesn't know who to block.

16 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

I think that level of dysfunction would make our current level of dysfunction look like a dream.  Who do you think the Boise guys allegiance is to,,, Harsin or, Auburn?

As the wise man said, "we have to do this right".

I think their allegiance for the most part is to themselves. They do not want to cut themselves short. What are they going to do? Quit? Just because Harsin got fired? Then they won't get their own buyouts. That's borderline insane.I don't recall many situations where a HC was fired and the rest of the staff said "F You ________(insert school), we are ride or die with ________(insert coach)!" and walked away.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, icanthearyou said:

I would say thanks but think it was a compliment and a shot at the same time.  I don't care about grammar at my age. Just glad I can still see the keys to type. As for politics you have no idea about me. 

20 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Auburn is 35-10 all time against Ole Miss. We’ve beaten them 6 in a row. We seem to beat them even when they’re at their absolute best, like last year. Auburn just almost always beats OM, period.

There's a flip-side to this: pretty much every time we've lost in Oxford in recent memory, it has concluded with the head coach of Auburn being fired that season. This is one of those situations, man. This isn't last season where a lot of their players were out due to injury and then their QB got injured during the game and they had to play a true freshman.

• Like 2

So if we let him go now, the players have a 30 day window to leave. Firing him later allows us to possibly have a coach in place for the players to consider before deciding. JFYI...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Putting myself out there with this take, so feel free to razz me if I’m way off. But we’re going to play OM close Saturday and maybe even beat them.

They’re obviously a much better overall team than us this season. But the talent gap isn’t enormous. We’ll be the best defense they’ve played (I would think we’re better than Kentucky). Vandy put up big offensive numbers on them Saturday. And Kiffin’s analytics can blow a game fast.

If we do upset them, we’re likely stuck with Harsin until the end of the year. That completely destroys recruiting with the fact that 80% of kids sign on ENSD. 

Had we canned him yesterday, we’d have 10 weeks to distance ourselves from Harsin before ENSD. We’d have guys like Cadillac or Zach (who have a good chance of being retained on the next staff, regardless of HC) promising  that the next coach is going to be incredible, and that we’re moving on.

I just don’t understand our PTB. They wanted him gone in February. Why wait another day? Every hour that passes with CBH still at the helm is actively hurting the program. 

I’ll never root against Auburn. But we’ll be in a real disastrous situation if we win Saturday.

“Next coach will be amazing. Trust us. Sign right here.” Not sure that’s a winner.

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

So if we let him go now, the players have a 30 day window to leave. Firing him later allows us to possibly have a coach in place for the players to consider before deciding. JFYI...

Yikes.  Did not know that.  Are they immediately eligible? 

23 minutes ago, bigbird said:

This is a non-issue. His "support" it pretty much all Seniors and Super-Senior type guys who are gone this year anyway. If anything, I'm sure there are quite a few young guys who wouldn't be too shaken up if he was shown the door. I can't imagine too many guys upset that the guy who's leading them out onto the field to get obliterated ends up being fired.

• Like 3

I actually LOL's at the thought that they would get a coach in quickly after letting Harsin go. Have people ever seen an AU coaching search? I swear people just throw out what they want to believe. 

14 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I actually LOL's at the thought that they would get a coach in quickly after letting Harsin go. Have people ever seen an AU coaching search? I swear people just throw out what they want to believe. 

There is different leadership than in the past

• Like 3

18 hours ago, AUx said:

There are situations and circumstances where a totally blameless organization can end up with years of litigation after the legal termination and compensation of an employee. This is seeming to drag probably because many steps must execute serially. My theories on what could make it vastly more complicated are just that, would be purely fictional, and need not stoke the rumor mill.

It 'feels' like Auburn is being super extra cautious. That could be due to the financing, changing terms of the buyout (contract), looking out for the best interest of the players, addressing a more complex environment in this situation, or all of the above and then some. And despite my frequent ridicule of the Auburn admin, I rather (again) 'feel' like they are (trying) to work calculus this time; not just stumbling over themselves. I'd say that's actually a very good thing, for a change. I still reserve the right to baselessly ridicule the administration for comedic effect.

But it’s cancelled out when you consider everyone saw this coming and the PTB wanted this 8 months ago. We should have been beyond ready to pull the trigger. 

I truly hope Nebraska, Georgia Tech, and Arizona State aren’t just that much more organized than our PTB.