Not firing him yesterday was a mistake

AUght2win

Putting myself out there with this take, so feel free to razz me if I’m way off. But we’re going to play OM close Saturday and maybe even beat them.

Auburn is 35-10 all time against Ole Miss. We’ve beaten them 6 in a row. We seem to beat them even when they’re at their absolute best, like last year. Auburn just almost always beats OM, period.

They’re obviously a much better overall team than us this season. But the talent gap isn’t enormous. We’ll be the best defense they’ve played (I would think we’re better than Kentucky). Vandy put up big offensive numbers on them Saturday. And Kiffin’s analytics can blow a game fast.

If we do upset them, we’re likely stuck with Harsin until the end of the year. That completely destroys recruiting with the fact that 80% of kids sign on ENSD. 

Had we canned him yesterday, we’d have 10 weeks to distance ourselves from Harsin before ENSD. We’d have guys like Cadillac or Zach (who have a good chance of being retained on the next staff, regardless of HC) promising  that the next coach is going to be incredible, and that we’re moving on.

I just don’t understand our PTB. They wanted him gone in February. Why wait another day? Every hour that passes with CBH still at the helm is actively hurting the program. 

I’ll never root against Auburn. But we’ll be in a real disastrous situation if we win Saturday.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

Putting myself out there with this take, so feel free to razz me if I’m way off. But we’re going to play OM close Saturday and maybe even beat them.

Auburn is 35-10 all time against Ole Miss. We’ve beaten them 6 in a row. We seem to beat them even when they’re at their absolute best, like last year. Auburn just almost always beats OM, period.

They’re obviously a much better overall team than us this season. But the talent gap isn’t enormous. We’ll be the best defense they’ve played (I would think we’re better than Kentucky). Vandy put up big offensive numbers on them Saturday. And Kiffin’s analytics can blow a game fast.

If we do upset them, we’re likely stuck with Harsin until the end of the year. That completely destroys recruiting with the fact that 80% of kids sign on ENSD. 

Had we canned him yesterday, we’d have 10 weeks to distance ourselves from Harsin before ENSD. We’d have guys like Cadillac or Zach (who have a good chance of being retained on the next staff, regardless of HC) promising  that the next coach is going to be incredible, and that we’re moving on.

I just don’t understand our PTB. They wanted him gone in February. Why wait another day? Every hour that passes with CBH still at the helm is actively hurting the program. 

I’ll never root against Auburn. But we’ll be in a real disastrous situation if we win Saturday.

See Hoke’s post from Friday.

I don’t think you have anything to worry about re: beating OM.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, AUwent said:

See Hoke’s post from Friday.

I don’t think you have anything to worry about re: beating OM.

Even if we don’t and we fire him then, it’s still a crucial lost week toward ENSD. 

9 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

If we beat Ole Miss it would put a fitting end to the Lane Train hype once for all, lol.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, SRBautigerfan said:

If we beat Ole Miss it would put a fitting end to the Lane Train hype once for all, lol.

Seriously it’ll be the end of either CBH’s actual tenure or Lane’s assumed  future tenure. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SRBautigerfan said:

Lol!   Yeah, if the Lane Train and his merry band of Rebel Land Shark Black Bears lose to this poop show in a flaming dumpster that should end all talk of Lane to AU!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Even if we don’t and we fire him then, it’s still a crucial lost week toward ENSD. 

Not going to make any move on recruiting until next coach is announced.

11 minutes ago, SRBautigerfan said:

7 minutes ago, AUinMS9528 said:

Lol!   Yeah, if the Lane Train and his merry band of Rebel Land Shark Black Bears lose to this poop show in a flaming dumpster that should end all talk of Lane to AU!

I agree if we somehow beat Kiffen I think that should pretty much finish him as a potential candidate but it is Auburn and it would be JABA to still try to hire him, lol. Not sure that he would really be interested, he seems to have things going well where he is and they appear to let him do his thing, standards are much lower there so he has a lot more wiggle room. 

• Like 1

I imagine Kiffin is going to have a field day with our secondary and lack of pass rush. We knocked out Corral last year for most of the game if I recall. They seem more balance this year. Probably same stuff as usual though, close first half then blow out second half.

Harsin's done regardless of the outcome of this game. Said it a few times before, but I imagine after the A&M game is when they send him packing. Though wouldn't surprise me since BYE week is next week they leave him in Oxford.

58 minutes ago, clwn said:

I imagine Kiffin is going to have a field day with our secondary and lack of pass rush. We knocked out Corral last year for most of the game if I recall. They seem more balance this year. Probably same stuff as usual though, close first half then blow out second half.

Harsin's done regardless of the outcome of this game. Said it a few times before, but I imagine after the A&M game is when they send him packing. Though wouldn't surprise me since BYE week is next week they leave him in Oxford.

But you’re missing the point. With ENSD it becomes crucial to let a guy go ASAP and get started on your next regime. In the old days it was fine to wait until the first week of December because you had 3 months to salvage recruiting and put together a decent class. You can’t afford to wait like that anymore.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hank2020 said:

Historically true. Speculation is always “not necessarily true”.

History doesn’t apply anymore. With the portal and ENSD, we’re in uncharted waters.

• Like 2

I agree that we have a good chance to beat OM.  We seem to have their number just like Florida used to always have Tennessee's.   That will probably keep CBH on the sideline through the IB.

• Dislike 2

Fire him today. Name Zac interim,  get the ball rolling and get bowl eligible.  Then we have the extra practice time for new coach to evaluate.  Someone, call Rich Mcglynn and tell him the plan

1 minute ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Fire him today. Name Zac interim,  get the ball rolling and get bowl eligible.  Then we have the extra practice time for new coach to evaluate.  Someone, call Rich Mcglynn and tell him the plan

Ain't happening everyone needs to be patience. Ii know it almost impossible but we got to do this right.

We all wanted him weeks ago

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AUght2win said:

That’s the 17 million dollar question now isn’t it? 

• Like 1

Still trying to track down that hotel housekeeper that can give direct testimony that it was Harsin who tore off that mattress tag.

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

Also I feel for the next AD in whoever they pick. If anything, this place has showed me, you can’t make mofos happy. I swear if NS was available people would be saying he is too old and want have the advantages of Bama.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Ain't happening everyone needs to be patience. Ii know it almost impossible but we got to do this right.

This makes me think we are still trying to fire him with cause OR we are hoping he takes another job to do away with the buyout. Or I could be way off base on both fronts

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

This makes me think we are still trying to fire him with cause OR we are hoping he takes another job to do away with the buyout. Or I could be way off base on both fronts

Or you could be right on the money 💰 

25 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Don't over think it just a lot of moving parts

A couple $M to Colorado or ASU to incentivize taking their job now, to reduce AU buyout by ~ $5-10M. Or something like that? Would be a decent deal if you could do it.

Plus, need to get AD installed ASAP, AND be ready to pull trigger on a major hiring action without losing opportunities. A lot of moving pieces with a lot of legal and business risk. Definitely GO Time for Roberts and a business team that has looked less-than-stellar for almost a decade.

AU's behavior with him has been too flaky and quiet. I don't think it's (all) simply incompetence and hostility.

Edited by AUx

56 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

I’m genuinely asking - why is keeping him part of “doing it right”? Why not get an interim? We see how they’re paying off elsewhere, and it starts the decoupling process. 

There are situations and circumstances where a totally blameless organization can end up with years of litigation after the legal termination and compensation of an employee. This is seeming to drag probably because many steps must execute serially. My theories on what could make it vastly more complicated are just that, would be purely fictional, and need not stoke the rumor mill.

It 'feels' like Auburn is being super extra cautious. That could be due to the financing, changing terms of the buyout (contract), looking out for the best interest of the players, addressing a more complex environment in this situation, or all of the above and then some. And despite my frequent ridicule of the Auburn admin, I rather (again) 'feel' like they are (trying) to work calculus this time; not just stumbling over themselves. I'd say that's actually a very good thing, for a change. I still reserve the right to baselessly ridicule the administration for comedic effect.