10/19/22 Auburn Articles

aubiefifty

Auburn captain: Important to play with pride, play for fans

Mark Murphy
4-5 minutes

AUBURN, Alabama–Finishing the first half of their 2022 schedule with a second blowout loss, the Auburn Tigers are likely going to need strong leadership from their team captains to get their football season moving in a positive direction. One of the Tigers’ most experienced players, linebacker Owen Pappoe, said he wants to do his part to see the group improve.

“We can still play with pride,” Pappoe said as the Tigers turn their attention to their second road game of the season with a trip to Ole Miss this week. “There are guys who have aspirations of making it to the next level because the season is not going as planned you just can't tank it.”

Pappoe led all tacklers in Saturday’s game at Sanford Stadium with eight stops, one more than safety Donovan Kaufman. The Tigers trailed in the game 14-0 at halftime as the Bulldogs used a questionable decision by Auburn to fake a punt in their own territory, a play that backfired, plus a long punt return to set up Georgia’s touchdowns in the first half.

The Bulldogs only had to move 36 and 31 yards for their first half scores. Meanwhile, the Auburn offense couldn’t put in any points on the board.

Asked if it is frustrating when the offense is struggling, Pappoe said, “Yeah, but we sill have to come out there and do our part. Just because they are not getting points on their end doesn’t mean we can let off the gas and give up big plays and all of that...

“We can go out and there and get three-and-out, three-and-out and three-and-out so we can do our part as a defense,” the team captain added.

Discussing the motivation for his team, which dropped to 1-2 in Southeastern Conference play heading into this week’s game at Ole Miss, Pappoe said, “You still have got to play hard, not even just for yourself and your future, for Auburn. There are plenty of people, fans and alumni, who support us. We would be doing them a disservice going out there and not to play up to the level we need to play.”

Asked how he thought the Tigers handled their first road game of the year, Pappoe said, “We lost the game so not good enough.”

The defense gave the offense great field position to start the second half when Colby Wooden sacked Stetson Bennett on the third play of the period and recovered the football at the UGA 19. The offense managed to gain seven yards on three plays before setting for an Anders Carlson field goal.

Escaping major damage, the Bulldogs responded with their first long drive of the game, moving 81 yards on 11 plays to take a 21-3 lead. By the time Auburn managed a touchdown the outcome had long been decided with the home team up 35-3.

Asked how the defense can improve moving forward after a rough second half, Pappoe said, “You have got to find the positives. We created a turnover, which is something we have been struggling with at the beginning season so we are heading in the right direction (with forcing turnovers). I believe that is three straight with one. Just looking at the positives of the situation, there are lessons in every loss, but overall we just have got to get better on both sides of the ball.”

26COMMENTS

Asked if he feels a responsibility to help that happen in his role as a captain, Pappoe said, “Definitely, just make sure the guys aren’t waving the white flag. What have we got, seven more games left? We need to finish the season strong.”

• Like 1

Jason Caldwell's Monday morning quarterback column

Jason Caldwell
4-5 minutes

Starts at the line of scrimmage

If you want to look at Auburn football's issues against Georgia, it all starts and ends at the line of scrimmage. The Tigers last beat the Bulldogs in 2017 at Jordan-Hare Stadium. In that game, Auburn ran for 237 yards while holding Georgia to just 46. Each team had one rushing touchdown in that contest. Counting that game, Auburn has just three rushing touchdowns against Georgia in the last seven meetings. During that same stretch, Georgia has 13 scores on the ground. As for the yardage totals, in those seven meetings the Bulldogs have 1,423 yards, or an average of 203 yards per game. Auburn has 715 yards rushing, an average of 102 yards per game. Since that first meeting of 2017, Georgia is averaging 229.5 yards rushing against Auburn in the last six meetings while Auburn is averaging 79.7 yards per game on the ground.

Saturday’s 292-93 total was the third straight game where Georgia has been over two hundred yards rushing against Auburn while holding the Tigers to under 100.

There’s no question this is a game that requires offenses to make explosive plays in the passing game to win at the highest level, something this Georgia team better find in a hurry if it wants to win another title. But as the Bulldogs have shown in this series, if you can physically dominate at the line of scrimmage those plays aren’t needed nearly as much.

Battleground states

Alabama has been the dominant program in college football over the course of the last 15 years or so, but during that span Auburn continued to win its fair share of recruiting battles and played in some very big games. It has been the emergence of Georgia on the national stage that has done the most damage to the Auburn program during that time. 

Auburn was still able to get its fair share of top players from Georgia while continuing to add talent from Alabama, but it has been a steady decline in the Tigers getting impact players from its two most important states. That has shown up on the field. Auburn will usually play Alabama extremely well when the game is in Jordan-Hare Stadium. Except for a couple of occasions, that has been the history since the game moved to campuses. 

Since Nick Saban arrived at Alabama in 2007, Auburn is a combined 8-24 against Alabama and Georgia. If you want to play and compete for titles in the Southeastern Conference, Auburn has to start getting back on equal footing with its two biggest rivals. That starts with becoming more of a player in its own backyard.

Around the league

We’ve reached the halfway point of the SEC schedule and to this point I continue to believe that Tennessee is the one team that can challenge Alabama and Georgia in the league. The Vols still aren’t exceptionally strong on defense, but they can score points in bunches and both Alabama and Georgia are having issues on offense at the moment.

The importance of the quarterback position was on display Saturday with Kentucky and Arkansas both losing without their starters and Alabama struggling against Texas A&M while playing without Bryce Young. I don’t think there’s a more important player to his team in the league than KJ Jefferson is to Arkansas. They are a solid team with him, but just average without him. 

30COMMENTS

Speaking of Arkansas, they don’t have a guaranteed win left on the schedule as they sit at 3-3 overall. This week they travel to BYU to play at altitude and following a bye week they are at Auburn, Liberty, LSU and Ole Miss at home before finishing at Missouri. Jefferson getting back makes them better, but there’s not a layup in the bunch.

I’m still very interested to see this Ole Miss team in person this week. They have some interesting things going on, but they were also trailing Vanderbilt at halftime on Saturday before running away in the second half. Lane Kiffin likes to go fast and use tempo, something that could really be an issue for Auburn’s defense on Saturday if the Rebels can run the football. Just a few early thoughts on what is another big road trip for the Tigers.

">247Sports

Everything Bryan Harsin said following Auburn's loss to Georgia

Lance Dawe
16-20 minutes

Auburn (3-3, 1-2 SEC) took in on the chin in Athens on Saturday, losing 42-10 to the No. 2 Georgia Bulldogs (6-0, 3-0 SEC).

None were more openly responsible for the loss than Auburn head coach Bryan Harsin.

Here is everything Harsin had to say following the huge loss.

Opening statement...

“Yeah, disappointed. Really good football team we just played, Georgia, all the way around. We knew that going into the game, and physical as well. I think that was a big part of the game, just the physicality of it. That showed up, really, in the second half. I thought our guys, in the first half, defensively in particular did some good things, but the second half, just the physicality of Georgia, that showed up. Then, penalties were big in this game as well, and that seemed to be a factor that hurt momentum.

“Guys are disappointed. The challenge is: How do you take this football game—and we’ve been saying this—learn from it? What are the things we’re going to do moving forward before he head back on the road again and go play against another good football team? So, it continues to be a challenge every single week. Our guys know that. How we respond to that is going to be the key for us. All credit to Georgia. Those guys, well coached, really good players. Those guys, they play with confidence at home, and I thought we handled some of the environment well at times, but the false starts—whether that was because of that or not, we’ll go back and look at the film and evaluate that. So, questions.”

The fake punt in first quarter...

“Yeah, we were (trying to create a spark), and that was the look too. That was something that we actually had happen to us earlier in the year, and that was something we felt like was going to be the right opportunity. They presented that the first time we kicked it, came out, checked it, and that was the look. I don’t know exactly what happened; obviously, there was a one-on-one somewhere that we didn’t win, but absolutely (we did) try to create a spark to continue the drive. We knew tonight was going to be a challenge offensively with their defense, so any positive yards we could get and extension of drives, that was a chance for us to do that, in that field position as well, because they weren’t going to be in safe; they were going to give us a chance with that look, and they did give us the look. They out-executed us in that moment right there, but overall I thought we had a good design for that opportunity.”

Team preparation leading into the game...

“Well, looking now, not good enough. I mean, obviously, when you look at the game. That’s what you can evaluate. That’s on all of us. It starts with me, and every single one of us. You have to self-assess, is what you have to do. What did you do well? What didn’t you do well? You know, we try to address all those things every week as they happen, before we get into the game. Because you know when you get into a football game, those things you do in practice or things that don’t go well in meetings or some of the details, whatever it might be, you try to address them right there. That’s why you practice, and you talk about, ‘Hey, look, these are some of the things we have to correct before we get into the game, because certainly our opponent is going to try to take advantage of that if we don’t do those things.’ So, every single week it’s a challenge to get yourself prepared and ready. Not because of lack of effort, not because of lack of those guys wanting to go out there and be successful; I don’t think anybody’s not focused and trying, but at the same time, it’s football, and whether it’s scheme, whether it’s a fundamental — whatever it might be — that’s the challenge every single week. You got to take advantage of that in your preparation to try to correct that before you get into a game. But there’s plenty of things Georgia did as well.

“They're a good football team. We knew there was going to be ebbs and flows in this game; we knew there was going to be momentum changes, and that we had to endure that while we were in this game. We talked about those things. It was just too much throughout the game. Some of the big plays they made in the second half, the score got out of hand at that point.”

Second-half issues...

"I don't know. We have to work on that. That remains to be seen. I wish I could sit up here and tell you. Until we actually go out there and prove it, it's just a matter of us going back and looking at those things, which we have. It's a continuation of us needing to get better at it. I need to look at everything that we're doing — everything we're doing on a Sunday and a Monday and a Tuesday. Just our preparation, every single thing that we do. If it's not working, you don't want to go back and continue to try and do the same things over and over and over again. There's a process; there's a plan. But it has to be better. It starts with me; it starts with what we are actually doing, how we're practicing, how we're emphasizing all the things that show up in every single one of these games. You want a different result; every guy in that locker room wants a different result. In order to do that you have to evaluate: 'What are we doing?' You have to self-assess, and then we've got to go back to work. The key is, when you do self-assess and you do decide this is the plan moving forward and this is how we're going to get better, you have to go out there and really attack it every single day.

"You take games like this — when you lose, it should hurt, it should burn, it eats at you. It's something that fuels you as you go back into your practice and your preparation for everybody. In the film room, in the coaches' meeting rooms and all that, are we giving our guys the best chance to be successful? Then when we get on the field, are we doing those things so that when we go out there and play, we're not going to have some of those mistakes that showed up in the game today."

Defense getting worn down...

"A little bit. I thought our defense has played well — they have all season long in a lot of ways. And then it's just not enough. At some point, you have to put some points on the board; you've got to even the game out, keep it close and give some hope. Our guys on defense, a little bit — they started to run the ball, and that was a factor in the game. That's what you don't want to let happen. You want a game where you want control of the run, and try to balance the offense out a little bit. When the score is getting to what it is, you know the team is going to run it, and you know they're going to give you lots of different looks. They can kind of have their variety of plays they want to attack with. It's a lot of different things you have to defend. When the score is closer and the game is tighter and all that, then teams will probably go back to what they think will work for them. Our defense has played hard. I thought the run Stetson had, that was big. That hurt. That big, long quarterback draw that he hit, that was a big, explosive play that turned into a touchdown. When you're talking about yardage and explosive plays that become touchdowns, that's really the one that hurt us the most on defense."

Injuries on both sides of the line of scrimmage...

"Yeah, we had a lot. I can't tell you exactly their status right now, but I know on the offensive line, we lost a few key starters. On the defensive line, you know, guys were banged up and coming out. So that's been a little bit of an issue this season, is some of the injuries, having some of our key players out, and I think that's one of the keys to being a successful team throughout the year, is if you can avoid the injury bug a little bit. And things happen in football, unfortunately. Guys come out, but that's where your depth really shows up, when you've got some guys. And there were guys on the offensive line, they didn't really get many reps this week, but they're in tune with what we're doing. And so, as a backup player, you've gotta be able to come in there, and against a really good football team, you're not getting all the same amount of rest, but you've got to go step up and that's what you're asking guys to do.

"And I believe this, too — not just the players that come in, the other guys have to elevate their game, too. Guys that have been playing, guys that have been out there. Everybody knows when somebody goes down, those guys that were your key players that are still healthy and are still out there playing, they've got to elevate themselves, but the injuries certainly become a factor throughout the season. We're at the midway point right now. Every team is dealing with injuries, and that's where your depth shows up. That's where those guys that aren't getting as many opportunities, when they do get it, to go in there and and try to continue with the game plan and the things that we thought would work for us in the game. We've got to keep executing that. We can't change everything because of injuries, and everybody knows that. We've just got to be better at it."

Robby Ashford's fumble, Auburn's overall performance...

"Yeah, I don't know what happened on the — I mean, the ball came out. I think, I don't know if he just dropped it or somebody knocked it out. I was kind of watching something else. I just saw the ball come out. So, either way, it's a turnover. And those are costly, and that's been something that, you know, everybody knows that, too. No one's trying to put the ball on the ground. You want to take care of it. But that becomes a big factor in games. I think we were even tonight in the turnovers. I think we got one, they had one. Overall performance, I'll go back and look at it. He competed. You know, he had plenty of things that he had to work through tonight as well. I mean, they got pressure on us, which we knew that they would do, alright? Because they're good upfront; make good decisions, take care of the football, those type of things. Put us in position where, hopefully we have some manageable third downs. So that's not really on him.

"First and second down, we've got to be in manageable third downs. I think we're in quite a few third-and-10s tonight. And that's hard. You know, that's kind of where the defense has the — well, the defense has the advantage, alright? When you're third-and-10, third-and-11. You want to be more third-and-4, third-and-5. And we were the one that Jarquez got. I think that was a third-and-4. We were able to get the ball in his hands quick, good throw, and it was on their sideline, but Jarquez obviously made a spectacular play to get down the sideline and score, but you want to be in those more manageable situations for him. Early in the game, I thought when guys were covered, he utilized his legs and did some really good things running the ball. And we knew that would be an advantage for us. We knew that could hurt their defense, if they covered everybody and Robby was able to take off and go get some scramble yards with his legs, and he did that tonight."

Why Auburn only had 40 total yards in the third quarter...

"I wish I had the answer for that. Alright? I really do. If I did, we would fix those things. I think part of the struggle is you're playing good teams. Part of the struggles are some self-inflicted things that we've done to ourselves. And the key to having a successful game is being consistent throughout the game, and whether at the end of it, the score is in your favor or not, you want to have some type of consistency. And I think that's the biggest challenge for us right now. The most frustrating thing is we're not. You know, we do some really, really good things at times, and then, you know, we just have some things that hurt us. And the consistency piece, that's the key, right. And as you watch teams, and why they win, they're consistent. And they keep themselves in the game, they keep it close, and then your last six, five minutes of a game, when you're in a close football game, that's where you got to go make some plays, if you're behind. That's where you got to go execute. You’ve got to put your guys in a position to be successful in those moments, but you’ve got to give yourself a chance by being consistent to be in those moments in games. And even if you're ahead, too, you know, you’ve got to you got to continue to keep playing well, because teams can come back on you and, and find ways to win.

"I just think our consistency, I just think we're too up and down throughout games and that's what we have to clean up. And that's really the challenge is just knowing that we can go execute these things and also putting our guys in the position to have a chance to be successful as well. So it's a combination of, we have to do a better job coaching, and put them in better positions to be successful. And then we’ve got to go out there and make those plays when we have an opportunity to do that. We'll be more consistent with that."

What Auburn did well against Georgia's offense early in the game...

"Yeah, I think we played hard. I do. I think our guys up front, just watching our D-line, I thought we played hard up front, and so we were able to slow some of the run game down. I thought in the back end when they did throw it—You know, they were throwing a lot of quick throws today, some screens. They had a couple boots that were successful that snuck out and No. 0 had a big play to his right, to Stetson’s right. But overall, I thought coverage was pretty good. I thought the front was pretty good. The big play was Stetson’s draw play that he hit. You know, that was the one that really opened it up. But overall, I mean, still, in a game like that, I mean, that's a good offense that you're playing against. They've obviously shown they can be explosive, they’ve got a lot of really good players at skill positions. Their O-line — I think that O-line has played this entire year together. Right? And that's one area — those guys, they've stayed healthy up front. Those guys are good.

"So, you know, we did some good things, just not enough. But I also think at the same time, you know, we put them in a tough field position when we didn't get the fake. We also, on offense, you know, we’ve got to be able to move the ball enough to create field position. Even if we're not scoring, getting the ball out there to the plus-40 plus-50 and so on and trying to keep them more backed up in those situations, too. You’ve got to play a field position and I think that was a factor in the game as well."

Auburn's penalties...

"Yeah, yeah, it's freaking frustrating. It is. It's frustrating as hell. And you don't know why. I mean, that's one of the things too, it happens, like it's not changing in the game. And right or wrong, you can argue it all you want. But it's not going to change the outcome right there in that moment. So you’ve got to respond to that. And, you know, we've been saying it too: first and 10, second and five is different than second and 15. Right? First and 15. So, against really good teams, you start getting behind the chains, it's the advantage to the defense. Alright? And then even, you know, on the defensive side as well, I mean, some costly penalties to right, where we have a chance to make a big play, and we might have an offsides or something that way. So, you know, that goes back to we’ve got to play more clean. And, you know, before I get too deep into that, I mean, you go back and watch, I mean, why was it a penalty? Was it a penalty? You know. How are we playing? You know, was it one of those that, you know, from just a technique standpoint, we were just poor on it? Or was it lack of discipline?

"But anytime that you're trying to create momentum, penalties are going to hurt you in those in those ways, where it hurts momentum. And, you know, that was just too much. I think we had 10 tonight. You know. And then we had, I think, eight in the first half. So it's just too many, alright, to put yourself in a position to create the momentum that you need. And in games like this, and on the road, you need to have momentum. You’ve got to find ways to give your team a chance to go out there and sustain some drives, create some field position and have some momentum in a game like this."

Auburn travels to Oxford, Mississippi to take on the No. 9 Ole Miss Rebels this Saturday. Kickoff is at 11 a.m. central.

Takeaways and impactful plays from Auburn’s 42-10 loss at No. 2 Georgia

Published: Oct. 09, 2022, 1:12 p.m.
9-11 minutes

Pro Football Hall of Fame coach and two-time Super Bowl winner Bill Parcells famously said, ‘You are what your record says you are during his coaching tenure. At times the axiom can be unfair. However, as the dust settles from Auburn (3-3, 1-2 SEC) getting destroyed 42-10 by No. 2 Georgia, recurring themes are starting to follow Bryan Harsin’s second season as the Tigers’ head coach.

Harsin is 9-10 as the Tigers’ head coach following the Georgia loss, with a game looming next week against No. 9 Ole Miss, who defeated Vanderbilt 52-28 around the same time Auburn was getting blasted by Bulldogs at Sanford Stadium.

Auburn not winning in Athens since 2005 isn’t on Harsin. It isn’t fair to blame him for Georgia becoming a premier program and Auburn not keeping up over the last 20 years, considering he’s not halfway through his second year as the coach. However, the Tigers suffered through a standard set of unfortunate circumstances that have followed Auburn’s struggles against Top-25 teams since the last win against a ranked team last Halloween weekend against the Rebels at Jordan-Hare.

Read More Auburn Football: Rewinding Auburn’s blowout 42-10 loss vs No. 2 Georgia

What Bryan Harsin said during the presser after 42-10 loss at No. 2 Georgia

Bryan Harsin ‘freaking frustrated’ by miscues in loss at No. 2 Georgia

Untimely pre-snap penalties on offense, a costly turnover, and several mistakes plagued the Tigers in what felt like a replay of the 29-point loss against Penn State.

“You take games like this -- when you lose, it should hurt, it should burn, it eats at you. It’s something that fuels you as you go back into your practice and preparation for everybody,” Harsin said. “In the film room, the coaches’ meeting rooms, and all that, are we giving our guys the best chance to succeed? Then when we get on the field, are we doing those things so that when we go out there and play, we’re not going to have some of those mistakes that showed up in the game today.”

Let’s look at a few observations from Saturday’s 32-point loss.

-- Auburn had 10 penalties and had at least one pre-snap infraction on each of the first five drives of the game against Georgia. The Tigers were regularly in 3rd and long situations. Offensive lineman Brandon Council believed Auburn could ‘demolish’ Georgia if the Tigers could avoid long third downs. We’ll never know if he was right because Auburn had too many 3rd downs with more than five yards to gain.

“It’s frustrating as hell. And you don’t know why. I mean, that’s one of the things too; it happens, like it’s not changing in the game,” Harsin said. And right or wrong, you can argue it all you want. But it’s not going to change the outcome right there at that moment. So you’ve got to respond to that. And, you know, we’ve been saying it too: first and 10, second and five is different than second and 15. Right? First and 15. So, against really good teams, you start getting behind the chains; it’s the advantage to the defense.”

-- Robby Ashford was 13-38 passing for 165 yards in his first road start. Ashford struggled with accuracy, but one of the issues was the third-down situations when Georgia came with blitz packages. Ashford had seven throwaways, which were often the right decision with no receivers open, or a running lane for him to scramble through. UGA didn’t record a sack against Auburn mostly because Ashford would run when the opportunity presented itself or throw it away.

“Early in the game, I thought when guys were covered, he utilized his legs and did some really good things running the ball,” Harsin said. “And we knew that would be an advantage for us. We knew that could hurt their defense if they covered everybody, and Robby was able to take off and go get some scramble yards with his legs, and he did that tonight.”

-- Unfortunately for Auburn, one of Ashford’s best runs came with a costly fumble. He found a hole in the Georgia defense on 3rd and four at the UGA 41 at the 4:42 mark in the second quarter. Georgia led 14-0, but Auburn was driving; it was the Tigers’ first trip past the 50-yard line with a chance to cut the Dawgs’ lead down to seven. Instead, Ashford lost control of the ball.

“I mean, the ball came out. I think I don’t know if he just dropped it or if somebody knocked it out. I was kind of watching something else,” Harsin said. “I just saw the ball come out. So, either way, it’s a turnover. And those are costly, and that’s been something that, you know, everybody knows that, too. No one’s trying to put the ball on the ground. You want to take care of it. But that becomes a big factor in games.”

-- Georgia scored the first touchdown of the game after a failed fake punt attempt by Auburn on 4th and six from the Auburn 34-yard-line with 25 seconds left in the first quarter. Tight end John Samuel Shenker took the snap and ended up four yards shy of a first down. Georgia scored a few plays later. Calling a fake punt in that situation screams desperation. However, Auburn had 258 yards compared to Georgia’s 500.

Auburn had 10 first downs, which equals the number of penalties against the team. The Tigers were also 5-17 on third down, which goes back to the false start infractions, among other concerns. Calling a fake punt in the first quarter is the type of gadget play a team runs when it knows it’s inferior and is looking for every possible way to stay competitive. Perhaps the boys in Vegas knew what they were doing when making Georgia a 29.5 favorite on the sportsbooks.

“I don’t know exactly what happened; obviously, there was a one-on-one somewhere that we didn’t win, but absolutely (did it) to try to create a spark to continue the drive,” Harsin said. “We knew tonight was going to be a challenge offensively with their defense, so any positive yards we could get and extension of drives, that was a chance for us to do that, in that field position as well, because they weren’t going to be in safe; they were going to give us a chance with that look, and they did give us the look.”

-- Auburn was already down to an emergency center, with Council having to step in for Tate Johnson, who’s out with an injury. Johnson was the second-string center until Nick Brahms had to retire from football with an injury before the season. Auburn’s already depleted offensive line got more banged up against Georgia. Right Tackle Austin Troxell left with an injury, and Jalil Irvin had to spell Alec Jackson at Right Guard.

Making matters worse for Auburn Edge rusher Derick Hall left in the fourth quarter with an undisclosed injury. He told reporters after the game that he was fine. Losing Hall would be devasting especially since his bookend Eku Leota is done for the season with a torn pectoral muscle.

“I know on the offensive line, we lost a few key starters. On the defensive line, you know, guys were banged up and coming out,” Harsin said. “So that’s been a little bit of an issue this season, is some of the injuries, having some of our key players out, and I think that’s one of the keys to being a successful team throughout the year, is if you can avoid the injury bug a little bit. And things happen in football, unfortunately. Guys come out, but that’s where your depth really shows up, when you’ve got some guys.”

-- Games are won in the trenches. Georgia got six rushing touchdowns on 264 yards, including a 62-yard run by quarterback Stetson Bennett while Auburn had 92 rushing yards, led by 52 from Ashford. If your team has Lamar Jackson or Michael Vick, it might be okay for the quarterback to be the leading rusher. But, Ashford, while speedy, mostly got his job as the pocket collapsed, and he was running to avoid sacks. Also, Tank Bigsby having 19 yards on 10 carries isn’t a recipe for success when the offense was supposed to revolve around the talented running back.

-- Jarquez Hunter’s 60-plus yard touchdown catch was too little too late for Auburn to attempt a comeback. However, Hunter’s catch did stop a disturbing trend of Auburn not scoring in the second half. The Tigers got shut out in last week’s loss in the second half against LSU, in which Auburn blew a 17-0 lead. Auburn didn’t score in the second half against Missouri in the miraculous overtime win that took a missed late field goal and a fumble at the goal line to seal.

“I don’t know. We have to work on that,” Harsin said when asked about the team’s second-half scoring issues. “That remains to be seen. I wish I could sit up here and tell you. Until we actually go out there and prove it, it’s just a matter of us going back and looking at those things which we have. It’s a continuation of us needing to get better at it.”

-- Hunter’s touchdown was Auburn’s first touchdown scored in the second half by an Auburn player in Sanford Stadium since 2007 by Mario Fannin. Ashford’s touchdown pass was the first by Auburn quarterback at Georgia’s home field in 2009 by Chris Todd. There are lots of legit critiques for Harsin. However, as the stats mentioned earlier reflect, Auburn’s problems beating Georgia go back over 15 years.

Nubyjas Wilborn covers Auburn for Alabama Media Group.

Auburn opens as biggest underdog against Ole Miss since 2001

Published: Oct. 09, 2022, 1:03 p.m.
3 minutes

Brock Bowers, Keionte Scott, Cam Riley

Auburn linebacker Cam Riley (13) and cornerback Keionte Scott (6) break up a pass intended for Georgia tight end Brock Bowers (19) during the first half of an NCAA college football game Saturday, Oct. 8, 2022, in Athens, Ga. (AP Photo/John Bazemore)AP

For the third time in as many weeks, Auburn will head into an SEC game as the underdog.

Fresh off a 42-10 blowout at the hands of rival Georgia, in what was Auburn’s first road test of the season, Bryan Harsin’s squad will try to rebound in its second straight road game -- an 11 a.m. matchup against No. 9 Ole Miss in Week 7. The Tigers (3-3, 1-2 SEC) opened as 13.5-point underdogs against the Rebels (6-0, 2-0), according to VegasInsider.com.

Read more Auburn football: Bryan Harsin left searching for answers, “hope” after loss to Georgia

Bryan Harsin justifies failed fake punt attempt against Georgia

Scarbinsky: Auburn will be hopeless and helpless until it is Harsin-less

That’s the largest point spread in favor of Ole Miss in the series in more than two decades. The last time Auburn met Ole Miss as a two-score underdog was in 2001, when the Rebels were favored by 14 points, according to OddsShark data. Auburn won that game, 27-21, in Jordan-Hare Stadium.

Auburn has largely dominated Ole Miss in the SEC West rivalry, particularly of late while winning six straight games against the Rebels. The Tigers’ last loss in the series was in 2015 on the Plains; they haven’t lost in Oxford, Miss., since the dreaded 2012 season, though that win was among the 33 overall vacated by Ole Miss between 2010 and 2016.

Auburn holds an overall series lead of 35-11 against Ole Miss, including a 13-3 record in Vaught Hemingway Stadium. The Tigers have not been road underdogs in the series since 2014, when the two teams met in a top-10 clash, with the Rebels a slight favorite on their home turf. Auburn won that game, 35-31.

The Tigers are 1-5 against the spread this season, only covering in their Week 5 loss to LSU. The Rebels, meanwhile, are 3-3 against the spread. The teams will meet at 11 a.m. Saturday, with the game airing on ESPN.

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

Statistically speaking: Auburn's defense folding in the red zone

Published: Oct. 10, 2022, 7:09 a.m.
14-18 minutes

Auburn’s mantra on defense this season has been to try to “defend every blade of grass” on the field, but those blades of grass between the goal line and the 20-yard line have proven particularly tricky for the Tigers’ defense at the season’s midway point.

As Auburn enters the second half of its 2022 slate, it does so with a defense that has struggled in the red zone. The Tigers are 12th in the SEC and 96th nationally in red-zone defense, as opponents have scored on 87.5 percent of their trips inside Auburn’s 20-yard line. Auburn’s defense has also given up touchdowns on two-thirds of its opponents’ 24 red-zone trips this season after Georgia was exceptionally efficient in that area during its 42-10 win Saturday in Athens, Ga. The Bulldogs scored touchdowns on each of their five red-zone trips against the Tigers, with touchdown runs of 1, 1, 2, 7 and 15 yards in their latest win in The Deep South’s Oldest Rivalry.

Read more Auburn football: Bryan Harsin left searching for answers, “hope” after blowout loss to Georgia

Bryan Harsin justifies failed fake punt attempt against Georgia

Scarbinsky: Auburn will be hopeless and helpless until it is Harsin-less

Of the 16 red-zone touchdowns Auburn has surrendered this season, 14 of them have been on the ground. Auburn’s last four opponents -- Penn State, Missouri, LSU and Georgia -- have scored on 14 of their 16 red-zone opportunities, with 13 touchdowns, all of them rushing.

Auburn’s overall red-zone defense is on pace to be the program’s worst since 2011, when teams scored on 88 percent of their red-zone opportunities against the then-defending national champions. Auburn’s red-zone touchdown defense is on par with that of the 2020 team, which allowed touchdowns on 65.79 percent of opponents’ trips inside the 20-yard line (25-of-38). Of course, red-zone numbers can shift consierably from week-to-week; it takes just one really good bend-don’t-break performance to change the outlook of a team’s red-zone defensive efficiency, so Auburn could very well manage to correct course in that aspect of the field.

Still, Auburn’s defensive struggles with its back to the goal line are notable. The Tigers are tied for 91st among FBS teams in opponents’ red-zone touchdown rates, and only five Power 5 programs have allowed more red-zone touchdowns this season than Auburn’s 16: Oklahoma (17), Oregon (18), Arizona (19), Colorado (20) and Arizona State (20). Of those teams, only Oregon (5-1) has a winning record through six weeks.

Here’s a look at those numbers, as well as where Auburn ranks among SEC and FBS teams in various other statistical categories through six weeks:

----

RUSHING OFFENSE (SEC rank, FBS rank)

2013: 328.3 (1st, 1st)

2014: 255.5 (2nd, 13th)

2015: 196.4 (5th, 35th)

2016: 271.3 (1st, 6th)

2017: 218.3 (4th, 26th)

2018: 167.5 (10th, 68th)

2019: 199.1 (4th, 33rd)

2020: 162.5 (7th, 67th)

2021: 161.5 (9th, 66th)

After Mercer: 285.0 (3rd, 14th)

After San Jose State: 247.5 (3rd, 14th)

After Penn State: 204.7 (6th 40th)

After Missouri: 174.0 (10th, 57th)

After LSU: 159.4 (10th, 66th)

After Georgia: 148.3 (10th, 75th)

Why: Auburn ran for 93 yards against Georgia.

PASSING OFFENSE

2013: 173.0 (11th, 106th)

2014: 229.5 (7th, 66th)

2015: 173.6 (12th, 110th)

2016: 169.5 (14th, 112th)

2017: 233.4 (5th, 65th)

2018: 222.5 (9th, 74th)

2019: 207.5 (9th, 87th)

2020: 220.3 (10th, 71st)

2021: 240.0 (8th, 59th)

After Mercer: 212.0 (11th, 84th)

After San Jose State: 190.0 (12th, 103rd)

After Penn State: 225.3 (9th, 87th)

After Missouri: 202.8 (12th, 103rd)

After LSU: 229.6 (9th, 82nd)

After Georgia: 218.8 (11th, 97th)

Why: Auburn threw for 165 yards against Georgia.

PASS EFFICIENCY OFFENSE

2013: 149.63 (6th, 24th)

2014: 156.79 (1st, 8th)

2015: 124.47 (10th, 79th)

2016: 135.17 (6th, 54th)

2017: 153.59 (5th, 13th)

2018: 140.11 (8th, 51st)

2019: 128.35 (9th, 89th)

2020: 122.96 (11th, 89th)

2021: 126.85 (12th, 94th)

After Mercer: 143.37 (9th, 61st)

After San Jose State: 123.23 (12th, 94th)

After Penn State: 121.20 (12th, 104th)

After Missouri: 121.09 (13th, 105th)

After LSU: 122.98 (13th, 101st)

After Georgia: 113.77 (14th, 114th)

Why: Robby Ashford completed 13-of-38 passes for 165 yards and a touchdown against Georgia.

TOTAL OFFENSE

2013: 501.3 (2nd, 11th)

2014: 485.0 (2nd, 16th)

2015: 370.0 (10th, 94th)

2016: 440.8 (6th, 43rd)

2017: 451.6 (3rd, 26th)

2018: 389.9 (11th, 78th)

2019: 406.5 (6th, 64th)

2020: 382.8 (9th, 77th)

2021: 401.5 (10th, 67th)

After Mercer: 497.0 (7th, 49th)

After San Jose State: 437.5 (9th, 57th)

After Penn State: 430.0 (8th, 61st)

After Missouri: 376.8 (12th, 89th)

After LSU: 389.0 (10th, 80th)

After Georgia: 367.2 (12th, 94th)

Why: Auburn had 258 yards of offense against Georgia.

SCORING OFFENSE

2013: 39.5 (2nd, 12th)

2014: 35.5 (4th, 35th)

2015: 27.5 (8th, 75th)

2016: 31.2 (6th, 49th)

2017: 33.9 (4th, 27th)

2018: 30.9 (8th, 47th)

2019: 33.2 (3rd, 28th)

2020: 25.1 (9th, 89th)

2021: 27.8 (11th, 71st)

After Mercer: 42.0 (7th, 34th)

After San Jose State: 33.0 (9th, 67th)

After Penn State: 26.0 (11th, 91st)

After Missouri: 23.8 (13th, 100th)

After LSU: 22.4 (13th, 107th)

After Georgia: 20.3 (14th, 112th)

Why: Auburn scored 10 points in Week 6.

SACKS ALLOWED

2013: 18 sacks, 1.29 per game (3rd, 22nd)

2014: 15 sacks, 1.15 per game (3rd, 15th)

2015: 19 sacks, 1.46 per game (4th, 33rd)

2016: 19 sacks, 1.46 per game (3rd, 27th)

2017: 36 sacks, 2.57 per game (10th, 100th)

2018: 23 sacks, 1.77 per game (6th, 39th)

2019: 18 sacks, 1.38 per game (4th, 18th)

2020: 20 sacks, 1.82 per game (6th, 41st)

2021: 22 sacks, 1.69 per game (5th, 31st)

After Mercer: 0 sacks, 0.00 per game (1st, 1st)

After San Jose State: 1 sack, 0.50 per game (2nd, 12th)

After Penn State: 8 sacks, 2.33 per game (10th, 84th)

After Missouri: 12 sacks, 3.00 per game (12th, 112th)

After LSU: 15 sacks, 3.00 per game (12th, 111th)

After Georgia: 15 sacks, 2.50 per game (11th, 95th)

Why: Auburn did not give up a sack against Georgia.

THIRD-DOWN CONVERSIONS

2013: 46.5 percent (4th, 24th)

2014: 52.5 percent (1st, 2nd)

2015: 41.3 percent (6th, 49th)

2016: 41.8 percent (4th, 53rd)

2017: 45.5 percent (3rd, 15th)

2018: 36.9 percent (11th, 90th)

2019: 40.5 percent (6th, 60th)

2020: 44.9 percent (6th, 32nd)

2021: 40.2 percent (8th, 61st)

After Mercer: 50.0 percent (7th, 40th)

After San Jose State: 42.1 percent (8th, 57th)

After Penn State: 38.2 percent (10th, 78th)

After Missouri: 32.0 percent (13th, 114th)

After LSU: 33.8 percent (12th, 105th)

After Georgia: 32.9 percent (14th, 114th)

Why: Auburn converted five of its 17 third-down attempts in Week 6.

RED ZONE OFFENSE

2013: 88.5 percent (2nd, 21st)

2014: 87.9 percent (4th, 31st)

2015: 90.2 percent (2nd, 13th)

2016: 85.5 percent (5th, 52nd)

2017: 88.1 percent (6th, 36th)

2018: 81.1 percent (11th, 88th)

2019: 90.4 percent (3rd, 21st)

2020: 85.0 percent (6th, 50th)

2021: 84.8 percent (7th, 55th)

After Mercer: 100.0 percent (1st, 1st)

After San Jose State: 100.0 percent (1st, 1st)

After Penn State: 83.3 percent (11th, 73rd)

After Missouri: 85.7 percent (8th, 62nd)

After LSU: 82.4 percent (10th, 75th)

After Georgia: 83.3 percent (7th, 64th)

Why: Auburn scored a field goal on its lone red-zone trip against Georgia.

RUSHING DEFENSE

2013: 162.1 (10th, 62nd)

2014: 168.8 (10th, 67th)

2015: 182.7 (11th, 81st)

2016: 132.8 (3rd, 27th)

2017: 137.0 (5th, 35th)

2018: 135.9 (6th, 32nd)

2019: 123.2 (4th, 25th)

2020: 163.4 (8th, 62nd)

2021: 128.1 (5th, 29th)

After Mercer: 74.0 (3rd, 25th)

After San Jose State: 64.0 (1st, 10th)

After Penn State: 124.3 (8th, 55th)

After Missouri: 126.5 (10th, 52nd)

After LSU: 138.2 (9th, 65th)

After Georgia: 163.8 (11th, 92nd)

Why: Georgia ran for 292 yards and six touchdowns against Georgia.

PASSING DEFENSE

2013: 258.6 (13th, 100th)

2014: 230.1 (12th, 68th)

2015: 222.5 (11th, 63rd)

2016: 229.2 (9th, 67th)

2017: 182.4 (5th, 18th)

2018: 219.5 (7th, 58th)

2019: 213.8 (8th, 47th)

2020: 242.6 (4th, 79th)

2021: 245.8 (12th, 96th)

After Mercer: 197.0 (7th, 56th)

After San Jose State: 236.0 (11th, 83rd)

After Penn State: 234.7 (11th, 81st)

After Missouri: 220.8 (10th, 65th)

After LSU: 193.6 (7th, 35th)

After Georgia: 196.0 (8th, 32nd)

Why: Georgia threw for 208 yards against Auburn.

PASS EFFICIENCY DEFENSE

2013: 126.88 (9th, 63rd)

2014: 124.19 (10th, 52nd)

2015: 116.99 (8th, 31st)

2016: 116.83 (4th, 22nd)

2017: 113.84 (4th, 19th)

2018: 118.12 (6th, 31st)

2019: 120.71 (9th, 32nd)

2020: 139.34 (7th, 75th)

2021: 136.73 (9th, 75th)

After Mercer: 122.63 (9th, 66th)

After San Jose State: 120.06 (10th, 63rd)

After Penn State: 129.03 (11th, 73rd)

After Missouri: 125.83 (10th, 58th)

After LSU: 115.38 (6th, 29th)

After Georgia: 116.79 (6th, 27th)

Why: Stetson Bennett completed 22-of-32 passes for 208 yards against Auburn.

TOTAL DEFENSE

2013: 420.7 (12th, 86th)

2014: 398.8 (9th, 64th)

2015: 405.2 (13th, 71st)

2016: 361.9 (5th, 28th)

2017: 319.4 (5th, 14th)

2018: 355.4 (8th, 38th)

2019: 337.0 (7th, 28th)

2020: 406.0 (6th, 63rd)

2021: 373.8 (9th, 61st)

After Mercer: 271.0 (3rd, 35th)

After San Jose State: 300.0 (6th, 40th)

After Penn State: 359.0 (10th, 56th)

After Missouri: 347.2 (9th, 49th)

After LSU: 331.8 (6th, 35th)

After Georgia: 359.8 (9th, 56th)

Why: Auburn gave up 500 yards of offense to Georgia.

SCORING DEFENSE

2013: 24.7 (9th, 48th)

2014: 26.7 (10th, 62nd)

2015: 26.0 (11th, 54th)

2016: 17.1 (4th, 7th)

2017: 18.5 (3rd, 12th)

2018: 19.2 (4th, 14th)

2019: 19.5 (6th, 17th)

2020: 24.7 (4th, 38th)

2021: 21.8 (5th, 27th)

After Mercer: 16.0 (8th, 48th)

After San Jose State: 16.0 (6th, 42nd)

After Penn State: 24.3 (9th, 66th)

After Missouri: 21.8 (9th, 58th)

After LSU: 21.6 (8th, 44th)

After Georgia: 25.0 (10th, 60th)

Why: Auburn allowed 42 points against Georgia.

SACKS

2013: 32 sacks, 2.29 per game (4th, 46th)

2014: 21 sacks, 1.62 per game (11th, 95th)

2015: 19 sacks, 1.46 per game (13th, 104th)

2016: 25 sacks, 1.92 per game (8th, 75th)

2017: 37 sacks, 2.64 per game (5th, 25th)

2018: 38, 2.92 per game (3rd, 16th)

2019: 28 sacks, 2.15 per game (9th, 64th)

2020: 26 sacks, 2.36 per game (6th, 53rd)

2021: 35, 2.69 per game (7th, 40th)

After Mercer: 1 sack, 1.00 per game (7th, 71st)

After San Jose State: 4 sacks, 2.00 per game (3rd, 61st)

After Penn State: 4 sacks, 1.33 per game (9th, 98th)

After Missouri: 8 sacks, 2.00 per game (6th, 71st)

After LSU: 11 sacks, 2.20 per game (7th, 57th)

After Georgia: 12 sacks, 2.00 per game (7th, 69th)

Why: Auburn had one sack against Georgia.

THIRD-DOWN DEFENSE

2013: 33.0 percent (1st, 13th)

2014: 36.0 percent (4th, 29th)

2015: 44.9 percent (13th, 109th)

2016: 34.8 percent (4th, 25th)

2017: 32.9 percent (3rd, 20th)

2018: 34.7 percent (6th, 30th)

2019: 29.9 percent (2nd, 8th)

2020: 50.3 percent (14th, 121st)

2021: 35.8 percent (7th, 37th)

After Mercer: 44.4 percent (10th, 92nd)

After San Jose State: 38.7 percent (10th, 87th)

After Penn State: 40.5 percent (11th, 91st)

After Missouri: 38.2 percent (11th, 73rd)

After LSU: 37.1 percent (10th, 65th)

After Georgia: 38.1 percent (10th, 68th)

Why: Georgia converted 6-of-14 third-down tries against Auburn.

RED ZONE DEFENSE

2013: 73.1 percent (2nd, 10th)

2014: 74.1 percent (4th, 13th)

2015: 75.5 percent (5th, 15th)

2016: 74.4 percent (3rd, 11th)

2017: 83.3 percent (6th, 64th)

2018: 82.9 percent (9th, 64th)

2019: 71.8 percent (2nd, 8th)

2020: 76.3 percent (3rd, 27th)

2021: 81.6 percent (6th, 58th)

After Mercer: 100.0 percent (8th, 78th)

After San Jose State: 87.5 percent (12th, 83rd)

After Penn State: 92.3 percent (14th, 108th)

After Missouri: 82.4 percent (7th, 60th)

After LSU: 84.2 percent (11th, 77th)

After Georgia: 87.5 percent (12th, 96th)

Why: Georgia scored touchdowns on all five of its red-zone opportunities against Auburn.

Kenny McIntosh, Cayden Bridges

NET PUNTING

2013: 40.54 (2nd, 9th)

2014: 37.44 (12th, 67th)

2015: 37.58 (7th, 54th)

2016: 39.90 (5th, 21st)

2017: 35.61 (14th, 115th)

2018: 41.91 (2nd, 5th)

2019: 38.50 (9th, 63rd)

2020: 38.70 (9th, 64th)

2021: 41.79 (3rd, 20th)

After Mercer: 29.00 (11th, 111th)

After San Jose State: 39.75 (8th, 66th)

After Penn State: 40.71 (6th, 52nd)

After Missouri: 43.53 (2nd, 10th)

After LSU: 44.11 (1st, 6th)

After Georgia: 41.68 (2nd, 16th)

Why: Auburn’s Oscar Chapman averaged just 36.6 net yards per punt against Georgia.

KICK RETURNS

2013: 23.40 (5th, 27th)

2014: 20.03 (11th, 82nd)

2015: 27.94 (2nd, 4th)

2016: 19.04 (12th, 100th)

2017: 23.22 (3rd, 25th)

2018: 21.52 (6th, 48th)

2019: 20.50 (7th, 67th)

2020: 21.96 (6th, 43rd)

2021: 23.88 (6th, 25th)

After Mercer: 7.67 (12th, 108th)

After San Jose State: 5.20 (14th, 127th)

After Penn State: 11.56 (14th, 124th)

After Missouri: 11.56 (14th, 127th)

After LSU: 13.75 (14th, 121st)

After Georgia: 14.08 (14th, 124th)

Why: Auburn had one 18-yard kickoff return against Georgia.

KICK RETURN DEFENSE

2013: 25.79 (14th, 121st)

2014: 21.73 (9th, 84th)

2015: 21.17 (12th, 61st)

2016: 18.00 (1st, 13th)

2017: 27.20 (14th, 129th)

2018: 19.44 (3rd, 39th)

2019: 22.30 (11th, 96th)

2020: 26.67 (13th, 121st)

2021: 17.36 (3rd, 15th)

After Mercer: 13.00 (8th, 35th)

After San Jose State: 13.67 (4th, 20th)

After Penn State: 17.75 (5th, 35th)

After Missouri: 17.40 (5th, 25th)

After LSU: 18.75 (7th, 44th)

After Georgia: 18.25 (6th, 39th)

Why: Georgia had one 16-yard kickoff return against Auburn.

PUNT RETURNS

2013: 11.78 (2nd, 22nd)

2014: 17.82 yards per return (1st, 4th)

2015: 11.93 yards per return (7th, 28th)

2016: 10.69 (5th, 24th)

2017: 8.52 (8th, 51st)

2018: 10.75 (6th, 39th)

2019: 12.83 (4th, 18th)

2020: 9.11 (6th, 44th)

2021: 8.30 (7th, 60th)

After Mercer: 9.00 (3rd, 35th)

After San Jose State: 11.17 (4th, 33rd)

After Penn State: 10.88 (7th, 42nd)

After Missouri: 9.60 (7th, 44th)

After LSU: 8.92 (7th, 50th)

After Georgia: 8.92 (9th, 52nd)

Why: Auburn did not return a punt against Georgia.

PUNT RETURN DEFENSE

2013: 7.0 (8th, 51st)

2014: 7.79 (10th, 72nd)

2015: 12.43 (11th, 110th)

2016: 3.17 (1st, 8th)

2017: 11.43 (14th, 108th)

2018: 3.36 (3rd, 9th)

2019: 17.29 (14th, 130th)

2020: 2.75 (3rd, 17th)

2021: 4.12 (2nd, 23rd)

After Mercer: 0.00 (1st, 12th)

After San Jose State: 0.00 (1st, 13th)

After Penn State: 0.00 (1st, 14th)

After Missouri: minus-0.50 (1st, 5th)

After LSU: minus-0.50 (1st, 5th)

After Georgia: 7.43 (8th, 67th)

Why: Georgia averaged 10.6 yards on five punt returns against Auburn.

TURNOVER MARGIN

2013: even, 0.0 per game (9th, 61st)

2014: plus-seven, 0.54 per game (4th, 27th)

2015: plus-two, 0.15 per game (8th, 51st)

2016: plus-three, 0.23 per game (6th, 42nd)

2017: minus-one, minus-0.07 per game (7th, 71st)

2018: plus-nine, 0.69 (3rd, 16th)

2019: plus-six, 0.46 per game (3rd, 27th)

2020: plus-four, 0.36 per game (6th, 38th)

2021: plus-one, 0.08 per game (8th, 64th)

After Mercer: minus-two, minus-2.00 per game (13th, 106th)

After San Jose State: minus-four, minus-2.00 per game (14th, 121st)

After Penn State: minus-eight, minus-2.67 per game (14th, 130th)

After Missouri: minus-six, minus-1.50 per game (13th, 126th)

After LSU: minus-nine, minus-1.80 per game (14th, 129th)

After Georgia: minus-nine, minus-1.50 per game (14th, 128th)

Why: Auburn forced one turnover and committed one against Georgia.

PENALTY YARDS PER GAME

2013: 40.64 (7th 30th)

2014: 68.92 (14th, 112th)

2015: 46.38 (7th, 34th)

2016: 36.54 (1st, 6th)

2017: 38.36 (2nd, 13th)

2018: 56.69 (9th, 75th)

2019: 55.23 (10th, 74th)

2020: 49.82 (7th, 56th)

2021: 46.38 (6th, 44th)

After Mercer: 20.00 (2nd, 5th)

After San Jose State: 52.50 (7th, 53rd)

After Penn State: 55.33 (7th, 60th)

After Missouri: 48.00 (6th, 40th)

After LSU: 54.40 (7th, 55th)

After Georgia: 55.33 (8th, 58th)

Why: Auburn committed a season-high 10 penalties for 60 yards against Georgia.

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

1 hour ago, bishoptf said:

Hey @aubiefiftythe original posting says 10/19...maybe you have a time machine but pretty sure you meant 10/9 :)

thank you

2 hours ago, bishoptf said:

Hey @aubiefiftythe original posting says 10/19...maybe you have a time machine but pretty sure you meant 10/9 :)

He's been time travelling!

Edited by AUINSY
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, AUINSY said:

He's been time travelling!

I wish he could time travel and tell us how this mess is going to get sorted :)

I need some good news for a change...

Edited by bishoptf
  • Like 1