Auburn/Tennessee Metrics in Year 2 Under New HC

woodford

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Wait, are you claiming Willis as a Gus success? 

No, I'm refuting this erroneous statement:

12 hours ago, aubaseball said:

He took a QB (that Gus couldn’t even evaluate)

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

No, I'm refuting this erroneous statement:

Would you say Gus couldn't develop him?

6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Would you say Gus couldn't develop him?

Clearly Willis didn't develop while at Auburn. How much of that is on Gus and how much is on the player who admitted he didn't put the work in at Auburn is the question. Me, I'll take the player at his word.

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

Clearly Willis didn't develop while at Auburn. How much of that is on Gus and how much is on the player who admitted he didn't put the work in at Auburn is the question. Me, I'll take the player at his word.

Okay.

I'll take the decade long history of terrible QB development vs a kid that wants to be professional in his responses leading up to the NFL combine and draft.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Okay.

I'll take the decade long history of terrible QB development vs a kid that wants to be professional in his responses leading up to the NFL combine and draft.

According to some of your earlier takes, had Willis been here when Harsin took over Willis would have been booted for being a slacker and malcontent. Right along with Nix, Pegues, Tennison, Shivers and 17 more. How has that worked out?

9 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Okay.

yeah, gus didn't even know what he had in Cam until 4 or so games into the season.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Mikey said:

According to some of your earlier takes, had Willis been here when Harsin took over Willis would have been booted for being a slacker and malcontent. Right along with Nix, Pegues, Tennison, Shivers and 17 more. How has that worked out?

Deflect deflect deflect. 

Nix was a loss as far as talent goes. His  attitude and cancerous locker room behavior was not   

Tennison has 30 tackles in 7 games.

Pegues has 16 in 7 games.

Shivers has 402 on 99 carries. That's 4.1 ypc.

BTW, how are those 17 others doing? 🤣

How many of that deals with anything we were discussing probably makes a lot of sense to you.

11 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Nix was a loss as far as talent goes. His  attitude and cancerous locker room behavior was not   

This doesn't make much sense, man. The team played considerably better with Nix at QB. He was replaced by a guy (Calzada) who opted to have surgery instead of suiting up for his team this year even though he is healthy enough to be playing. The other guy they brought in last year (TJ Finley) is currently posting things on social media mocking Robbie Ashford and is quite clearly disgruntled/will not stay with the team. Then, you have Robbie Ashford who is blowing up on the sidelines and visibly pouting and getting into it with Tank Bigsby (isn't this what we knocked Nix for?)

So I don't see how anyone on the current roster is behaving any "better" than Nix was. The main difference is that the team was clearly considerably more competitive with Nix than they are with any of these other guys. I think it's about time to put to rest the whole "team cancer" stuff with Nix. It clearly wasn't as real as it was made out to be, and really, the entire takeaway here is that he absorbed way too much blame considering the situation he was in. It seems very strange to me to see so much "support" for Ashford given that he shows the same emotionality flaws that Nix showed, who was blasted for those flaws. Ashford in general is like the poor man's Nix (even from a playing standpoint/flaws standpoint) but why is he so beloved? Nix also legitimately played his heart out so it can't be because Ashford "plays hard".

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, metafour said:

This doesn't make much sense, man. The team played considerably better with Nix at QB. He was replaced by a guy (Calzada) who opted to have surgery instead of suiting up for his team this year even though he is healthy enough to be playing. The other guy they brought in last year (TJ Finley) is currently posting things on social media mocking Robbie Ashford and is quite clearly disgruntled/will not stay with the team. Then, you have Robbie Ashford who is blowing up on the sidelines and visibly pouting and getting into it with Tank Bigsby (isn't this what we knocked Nix for?)

So I don't see how anyone on the current roster is behaving any "better" than Nix was. The main difference is that the team was clearly considerably more competitive with Nix than they are with any of these other guys. I think it's about time to put to rest the whole "team cancer" stuff with Nix. It clearly wasn't as real as it was made out to be, and really, the entire takeaway here is that he absorbed way too much blame considering the situation he was in. It seems very strange to me to see so much "support" for Ashford given that he shows the same emotionality flaws that Nix showed, who was blasted for those flaws. Ashford in general is like the poor man's Nix (even from a playing standpoint/flaws standpoint) but why is he so beloved? Nix also legitimately played his heart out so it can't be because Ashford "plays hard".

The issue isn't that he was a much better talent  Nix is 100% a better talent compared to our current QBs. No one is arguing otherwise.

There was a whole lot wrong in the locker room last year, Nix was a major player in it

8 minutes ago, metafour said:

He was viewed as selfish by guys on the team. Pretty much that simple

Just now, bigbird said:

The issue isn't that he was a much better talent  Nix is 100% a better talent compared to our current QBs. No one is arguing otherwise.

There was a whole lot wrong in the locker room last year, Nix was a major player in it

I'd argue the talent. It depends what that particular talent is though

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I'd argue the talent. It depends what that particular talent is though

He's shown that he's got talent this year. Unfortunately for us, we never saw it translate well here 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, bigbird said:

How is the locker room this year without him in it? Stellar? Why do you have one QB (Finley) making Tik Tok's about Robbie Ashford and basically saying that he sucks? 

Last year's team was winning until Nix got hurt. The team chemistry couldn't have been as bad you claim it to be. They beat LSU, Ole Miss, and Arkansas. Since then their highlight win is a should-be loss to Missouri.

Again, if the team chemistry was so bad with Nix, why was the team so much more competitive? That makes no sense. This just looks like one of those over-blown stories because he was chosen as the fall-guy for a lot of Auburn's failure. And what, he got to Oregon where they're currently rolling and magically he's not a locker room cancer there? If you check Twitter, Anthony Schwartz already made a post that was meant to poke fun at people who threw Nix under the bus. I don't buy that he was as hated or "cancerous" as you're still trying to sell him as.

I'm not saying that he didn't cause problems or whatever, but again: explain to me how any of the current guys are "better" in the locker room? This is a team that should be 2-5, the team chemistry can't POSSIBLY be good lol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, metafour said:

why was the team so much more competitive?

One, we had a LB that could diagnose and make plays.  We don't have LBs this year and it's been the biggest issue defensively.

Trox and Jones last year were far superior to this year's version.  Brahms was better than Johnson. Hamm was better than any OL now.

Bobo and Mason were better than the Boise boys 

We had more experience

There is a multitude of reasons why we were better last year.  Its a different team on many levels 

• Like 3

Just now, bigbird said:

There is a multitude of reasons why we were better last year.  

But you just glossed over all of my other obvious points which were the real questions LOL.

HOW IS THE OFFENSIVE CHEMISTRY BETTER SINCE NIX LEFT? It's great that Ashford is yelling at Tank while TJ Finley is sitting on his phone making cryptic posts about how Ashford sucks? Really? 

And again, is Bo Nix a team cancer at Oregon? Or is his cancerous behavior only activated once he hits a certain vicinity to Auburn's campus? Guys who are true "cancers" are generally going to be that way regardless of where they are.

You need to just accept that the whole s*** was overblown. Just like last year it was overblown how amazing we'd be once Harsin brought in his guys who "mesh with him". I like how now you're giving Bobo and Mason credit, but wait, they along with Nix were the main whipping boys for last season. Did you forget already? The team was going to be good this year because we got rid of Bobo, Mason, and Nix. Those were your three big moves that were going to lead to unity and competence. Whoops.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, metafour said:

But you just glossed over all of my other obvious points which were the real questions LOL.

HOW IS THE OFFENSIVE CHEMISTRY BETTER SINCE NIX LEFT? It's great that Ashford is yelling at Tank while TJ Finley is sitting on his phone making cryptic posts about how Ashford sucks? Really? 

And again, is Bo Nix a team cancer at Oregon? Or is his cancerous behavior only activated once he hits a certain vicinity to Auburn's campus? Guys who are true "cancers" are generally going to be that way regardless of where they are.

You need to just accept that the whole s*** was overblown. Just like last year it was overblown how amazing we'd be once Harsin brought in his guys who "mesh with him". I like how now you're giving Bobo and Mason credit, but wait, they along with Nix were the main whipping boys for last season. Did you forget already? The team was going to be good this year because we got rid of Bobo, Mason, and Nix. Those were your three big moves that were going to lead to unity and competence. Whoops.

I see what you're saying. My bad 

I don't think the chemistry is better. I think it was tracking in that direction throughout the spring and summer, but as with bad teams adversity hit and they weren't good enough to withstand it.  

I also believe that removing Nix helped lead to that initial positive trajectory.  His removal helped heal some of the bad locker room, but then other issues took over and we're not mature or mentally tough enough to withstand that.

3 minutes ago, metafour said:

It’s literally just a simple answer of it’s a whole different team, year and coaching staff.   Not to mention all the crap that went on behind the scenes.   In my opinion, this year was doomed last January when all the negative things came out on Harsin.   Add all the transfers and you get a completely different set of circumstances than last year.  

12 minutes ago, metafour said:

The team was going to be good this year because we got rid of Bobo, Mason, and Nix. Those were your three big moves that were going to lead to unity and competence. Whoops.

You're right.

I thought, like most normal instances, that familiarity and comfort would lead to an improvement.  So removing unfamiliarity, uncomfortableness, and  awkwardness from the staff should've lead to a better product. 

I was wrong.

• Like 2

Offensive production isn't a direct correlation of team chemistry. You have a bunch of different variables from one team to another

Auburn/Tennessee Metrics in Year 2 Under New HC:

Tennessee is unstoppable.
Auburn is unbearable.
This is the only metric that matters. 

Edited by AUINSY
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, AUINSY said:

Auburn is unbearable.

They are far from unstoppable but I like how exciting they play! Here is to hoping they bear UGA!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, AUINSY said:

Auburn is unbearable.

I’m guessing Tenn’s metrics are better than ours. This Tennessee team has 2013 Auburn potential. Need the requisite luck.

49 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

I’m guessing Tenn’s metrics are better than ours. This Tennessee team has 2013 Auburn potential. Need the requisite luck.

From what I heard today there’s only a 300-ish total yard difference between UT and the 2019 LSU team at this point in their seasons. Now that’s something to think about. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bigbird said:

I'll take the decade long history of terrible QB development

Cam was better when he left AU than he was when he got here. Marshall was better when he left AU than he was when he got here. Stidham was better in his first year than he had been before. He could have been better still his second year had he not played the entire season with priority #1 being to avoid injury so his draft chances wouldn't be hurt. Nix got better in year 2.

There was no decade long history of terrible QB development.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

Cam was better when he left AU than he was when he got here. Marshall was better when he left AU than he was when he got here. Stidham was better in his first year than he had been before. He could have been better still his second year had he not played the entire season with priority #1 being to avoid injury so his draft chances wouldn't be hurt. Nix got better in year 2.

There was no decade long history of terrible QB development.

You're wrong and look foolish 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1