I believe Dell McGee is the answer

Auburn93

Dell is a good thought but the Dye comparison is dicey, SEC now is nothing like when Dye was hired (much more competitive now, big biz, higher stakes, NIL, portal etc). HC at Auburn must now also be a world class administrator too. Hired Malzahn w/ 1 yr minor HC football experiencr and he never did figure out the admin part of top tier SEC football. Hiring a HC w/ zero HC experience is like playing a true frosh QB - it might work but chances are the honeymoon will be VERY short. I dont want that for Dell now.

Edited by aucanucktiger
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, MaxCohen216 said:

I'm warming to Deion too.  Slowly but surely.

I don't know much about Luke Fickel.  He might be the next Nick Saban, but I'm afraid the AU PTB won't have much patience with an up-and-comer.  Won't give him a chance to work the farm before posting record crops.

I'm with you there but he took Cincy to the Playoff last year. He's not some sexy OC that's killing it at a P5 school. I think you're right though.

• Like 1

I’ll say this again: There is no sure fire head coach that you can go and stay “yep, if we hire him, we will be a national title contender in 2 years.” All of these names being put out are all risky hires and all have flaws and holes. The last coaching cycle you had so many names that were pretty big. Now, most of them are literally the definition of “meh”. That’s why I’m going for Deion. He’s unique and he’s truly an unknown. I just think how he would elevate our program and recruiting to nothing like we’ve ever seen and have us in the national media on a weekly basis. No other coach could bring that kind of excitement here. This program is in a funk and it’s time we get the Pearl of football…

• Like 6

5 hours ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

if he can get his former teammate Takeo Spikes on the staff id be interested

Great former player but does he have any coaching experience. Love seeing him on SEC Network though. 

2 hours ago, MaxCohen216 said:

Good post.  Thank you.

But no.

The PTB at AU will stand for nothing less than a total rebuild than can compete for SEC championships within two years.  That's our reality, whether we like it or not (I like it).

Only two desired coaches can fill that bill: Prime Time or Lane Brain Kiffin.

That's our reality.  IMHO.

But your post was very interesting.

I agree somewhat. While I do believe DS would improve recruiting, nothing else tells me we would be competing for an SEC championship in two to three years. I believe it would potentially be headed in the right direction, but I would prefer a more established coach. That’s not to say he couldn’t pull it off, but it is a big gamble in my eyes and this program needs to stop the big gambles. 

38 minutes ago, woodford said:

I'm with you there but he took Cincy to the Playoff last year. He's not some sexy OC that's killing it at a P5 school. I think you're right though.

I like him, but would he be able to recruit in the south? Among other things, that is what will end Harsin’s tenure here. 

Literally the only reason anyone mentions Dell for HC are the Auburn ties.  If you have him coming from any other school in there's no way anybody is seriously floating a career position coach to take the HC job here, no matter how good a recruiter he is.

• Like 8

Did anyone see the rumor dump today? I refuse to explicitly say what's been said, but the contents have been heavily discussed on public platforms so I figured someone would bring it up.

Edited by AUwent
  • Facepalm 1

I think one challenge ANY coach will have is that the fan base is already … agitated and the 2013 year and portal have convinced some that maybe a quick turn around is possible. I’m doubtful. We’re in a major talent hole and have zero momentum. We need a big personality that can not only recruit  but get the fan base pumped about the direction and staying the course.  Hope. Otherwise, 1 or 2 blow out or embarrassing losses and this fan base will turn on him (total post-game thread “run the damn ball” chaos), quiet hot seat rumors start, recruiting is impacted, and we self destruct.  I know people will say they will   “just want to see improvement”….. Maybe,  but I’m skeptical. We have to emotionally sell out and go with it.

Deion obviously would be far and away the best at this. Heck, he is this.  Lane a very distant second. After that - God help them if they can’t instill excitement, patience, and hang in there.

22 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Did anyone see the rumor dump today? I refuse to explicitly say what's been said, but the contents have been heavily discussed on public platforms so I figured someone would bring it up.

What public platforms would that be? 

27 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Since you saw it, why don't you elaborate 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, AUwent said:

spill the beans for us non-twitters

10 minutes ago, cctiger said:

What public platforms would that be? 

5 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Since you saw it, why don't you elaborate 

4 minutes ago, TigerPAC said:

spill the beans for us non-twitters

See top comment

• Thanks 1
  • Angry 1

37 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Grimes

The most worrisome part about Deion to me is that it feels like whenever someone is almost overwhelmingly the fan favorite choice that generally proves to be a "well, we dodged a bullet there" 

That being said I'm Team Deion all the way LMAO. We have made risky hires with guys that have little experience but lower ceilings in the past - Chizik, Gus, Harsin. Deion has little experience but his ceiling is sky high. And it's time to shake **** up at AU and he's the type of guy that can win battles on the trail and also give us a major culture reset. 

And tbh if it ends up being a bad hire at least we tried something different. If he fails it's not like we would be choosing him over a slam dunk, guaranteed success. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Auburn93 said:

Prime would not be stabilizing figure like Dell would be.  Two different personalities.  Dell has more personal relationships than Prime.  

Lane would certainly kick butt on game day.  He would be like another Petrino. 

Personal relationships to who

Watch Dell’s interviews on YouTube and tell us if he seems like the HC of a top SEC program who can go toe to toe with the best.  Still needs to build confidence when public speaking.

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

See top comment

Hokanson knows nothing. He’s just putting things out there to get subscriptions. It’s pretty well known Harsin will be let go soon, possibly this weekend. Keeping him until the end of the season would be a death sentence to our program. Also, Grimes is not the leading candidate. There is no leading candidate at this time. There are boosters who have favorites but no, there is nothing concrete at this time until we get our AD in place..

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

The most worrisome part about Deion to me is that it feels like whenever someone is almost overwhelmingly the fan favorite choice that generally proves to be a "well, we dodged a bullet there" 

That being said I'm Team Deion all the way LMAO. We have made risky hires with guys that have little experience but lower ceilings in the past - Chizik, Gus, Harsin. Deion has little experience but his ceiling is sky high. And it's time to shake **** up at AU and he's the type of guy that can win battles on the trail and also give us a major culture reset. 

And tbh if it ends up being a bad hire at least we tried something different. If he fails it's not like we would be choosing him over a slam dunk, guaranteed success. 

Exactly. There are no coaches that we will regret if we don’t hire this coaching cycle. Every single one of them would be a risky hire and probably maintaining the typical 8-4 Auburn teams we’ve grown accustomed to in the past. Deion is the only one who has the highest potential out of any of these coaches. Could he be a bust? Yea, but we would no doubt have a loaded roster at least. It’s time for Auburn to do something new and be more forward thinking with college football. Deion would be Pearl on steroids, if that is even possible…

• Love 1

Regardless, I think people melting over the prospect of getting Grimes are out of their minds. I’m more concerned that Nebraska poaches Aranda and the dominoes fall from there. Or Colorado beats us to the punch (where Chizik got him from).

Edited by AUwent

28 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Regardless, I think people melting over the prospect of getting Grimes are out of their minds. I’m more concerned that Nebraska poaches Aranda and the dominoes fall from there. Or Colorado beats us to the punch (where Chizik got him from).

Again, Aranda is another meh coach along with Grimes. We’re not missing anything by not hiring them…