I believe Dell McGee is the answer

Auburn93

Just like Dye he has his tentacles in the University of Georgia and Alabama high school systems.

Unlike Dye he has not been a head coach. Dye was only a head coach for four years. He was linebacker coach and then became a head coach.  Dye wasn't even a coordinator. I think Dell can make the jump without going to East Carolina. 

Dye wanted the job. If Dell becomes head coach, he would have a similar passion due to being a former player. He wouldn't just be a mercenary.

The historical relationship is there for success. Dye to Auburn. Dooley to UGA. Dell from Auburn to UGA back to Auburn. 

Dye and his staff shifted power in the SEC because he took players from the UGA and from the UAT.  This is what made DYE OUR BEST COACH.  It wasn't his game day coaching. 

Dell can do the same. He can bring strength and stability, and he can do it for multiple years.

Edited by Auburn93
  • Like 8
  • Love 1
  • Facepalm 1

I like it.

There's an alternate reality where Gus promotes Dell to a position coach position after the 2013 season and he gradually works his way up to OC and Auburn football is in a much better place.

Sigh.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Auburn93 said:

Just like Dye he has his tentacles in the University of Georgia and Alabama high school systems.

Unlike Dye he has not been a head coach. Dye was only a head coach for four years. He was linebacker coach and then became a head coach.  Dye wasn't even a coordinator. I think Dell can make the jump without going to East Carolina. 

Dye wanted the job. If Dell becomes head coach, he would have a similar passion due to being a former player. He wouldn't just be a mercenary.

The historical relationship is there for success. Dye to Auburn. Dooley to UGA. Dell from Auburn to UGA back to Auburn. 

Dye and his staff shifted power in the SEC because he took players from the UGA and from the UAT.  This is what made DYE OUR BEST COACH.  It wasn't his game day coaching. 

Dell can do the same. He can bring strength and stability, and he can do it for multiple years.

Why? 

17 minutes ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

Dell is technically 1-0 as a head coach. We couldn't hire anyone else with a 100% win percentage? 

Allllllllll that matters...

😁

• Haha 1

I would rather have Kiffin, Sanders, Grimes, or Monken (if he were to bring DM over here as OC). But if none of those work out, Dell would be a super solid backup.

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

I'd prefer Jeff Grimes or Dell McGee for the Auburn job. Just looking around college football, experience as a head coach is no guarantee of success.

Grimes with Dell as his OC would be a combo I could get on board with

• Like 1
  • Love 3

That's a nah from me.  If Dell wants to be a HC he needs to go to a smaller school and prove he's capable.  We are at way too important juncture in AU history to gamble like that.

• Like 8

If Dell hadn't gone to Auburn, but instead went to Troy or Bama, would you still feel this way?

• Like 3
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

I'd prefer Jeff Grimes or Dell McGee for the Auburn job. Just looking around college football, experience as a head coach is no guarantee of success. We don't have to look very far to see that. :( I'm thinking "fit" is more important that prior head coaching experience. There's a good chance McGee or Grimes would be a good fit at AU.

Nailed it Mikey!!!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Auburn93 said:

Good post.  Thank you.

But no.

The PTB at AU will stand for nothing less than a total rebuild than can compete for SEC championships within two years.  That's our reality, whether we like it or not (I like it).

Only two desired coaches can fill that bill: Prime Time or Lane Brain Kiffin.

That's our reality.  IMHO.

But your post was very interesting.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, AUJarhead said:

If Dell hadn't gone to Auburn, but instead went to Troy or Bama, would you still feel this way?

I like Dell for all the reasons I listed.  Therefore, I would not feel the same way had he attended a different university.

• Love 1

5 minutes ago, MaxCohen216 said:

Good post.  Thank you.

But no.

The PTB at AU will stand for nothing less than a total rebuild than can compete for SEC championships within two years.  That's our reality, whether we like it or not (I like it).

Prime would not be stabilizing figure like Dell would be.  Two different personalities.  Dell has more personal relationships than Prime.  

Lane would certainly kick butt on game day.  He would be like another Petrino. 

Edited by Auburn93
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Auburn93 said:

Prime would not be stabilizing figure like Dell would be.  Two different personalities.  Dell has more personal relationships than Prime.  

Lane would certainly kick butt on game day.  He would be like another Petrino. 

Yes, that's a concern. Prime Time has proven to be a great influence and recruiter.  But what has he proven as a head coach?  Not much.

My main concern is that he's too much of a "player's coach", and can't be truly mean and unrelenting in driving players to reach their full potential, like Saban and Smart can.

Saban and Smart will throw players out of a speeding car and think nothing of it if they don't perform well.  They are no friend to an under-performing player.  That's the kind of coach we need if we want to compete for championships.

On the other hand, Gus Malzahn was a friend to our players and provided them a shoulder to cry on...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MaxCohen216 said:

Yes, that's a concern. Prime Time has proven to be a great influence and recruiter.  But what has he proven as a head coach?  Not much.

My main concern is that he's too much of a "player's coach", and can't be truly mean and unrelenting in driving players to reach their full potential, like Saban and Smart can.

Saban and Smart will throw players out of a speeding car and think nothing of it if they don't perform well.  They are no friend to an under-performing player.  That's the kind of coach we need if we want to compete for championships.

On the other hand, Gus Malzahn was a friend to our players and provided them a shoulder to cry on...

I wound disagree about Prime. You need to watch many of his practice and game videos. He knows how to relate with his players but is also a disciplinarian, but no profanity and not degrading his players. It’s actually constructive criticism. You don’t have to curse and degrade an athlete to get your point across. The number one trait of a good coach is gaining their players’ trust and you can tell how all of his players respect Deion. Saban and Smart are cold hearted but get their point across. Deion goes about it differently but gets the same results, albeit at a lower level of competition…

• Like 3
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, Auburnguy101 said:

I wound disagree about Prime. You need to watch many of his practice and game videos. He knows how to relate with his players but is also a disciplinarian, but no profanity and not degrading his players. It’s actually constructive criticism. You don’t have to curse and degrade an athlete to get your point across. The number one trait of a good coach is gaining their players’ trust and you can tell how all of his players respect Deion. Saban and Smart are cold hearted but get their point across. Deion goes about it differently but gets the same results, albeit at a lower level of competition…

I'm open to Prime.  I'd just have to see the results at the D1 level to fully get on board.  It's always a gamble to hire a coach with no D1-level experience.  He doesn't even have any experience as a D1 coordinator.

But hey, Pat Dye was sort of a gamble in his day I guess...

Not my top choice but i can see the logic behind it. If i'm ok with Grimes being the choice with no head coaching experience than why not Dell? I do think Grimes has a wider coaching tree and that would help with filling a staff. 

4 minutes ago, MaxCohen216 said:

I'm open to Prime.  I'd just have to see the results at the D1 level to fully get on board.  It's always a gamble to hire a coach with no D1-level experience.  He doesn't even have any experience as a D1 coordinator.

But hey, Pat Dye was sort of a gamble in his day I guess...

And I understand the concerns of his inexperience. I really do get the hesitation in supporting someone like Deion, I’m not naive haha. However, here’s the thing. College football has changed over the past 5-10 years, I mean even 2 years since our last coaching search. It’s more like a business now and promoting your brand and getting the top recruits. If you get the top recruits, you have a chance. I mean, look at A &M, they are constantly in the top 10-15 preseason because of talent alone. If Jimbo wasn’t so stubborn and relinquished offensive play calling (sound familiar) they would actually be the second best program in the West. Besides the point though, what I’m saying is in order to even have a chance to being competitive you have to bring in the top recruits. You can’t do the “coach up 3 stars to 5 stars” anymore. And that brings us to Deion. He is the only coach who’s name alone would attract the top talent and would immediately have our roster competitive with the top teams. These other coaches wouldn’t stand a chance against Saban and Smart. Deion is a high risk, I agree. But he’s also the coach with the highest potential and it’s not even close…

• Like 6

1 hour ago, MaxCohen216 said:

Good post.  Thank you.

But no.

Why those two? I've warmed up to Deion but it's still all hype at this point. I like Lane a lot. I think he's a funny dude and I appreciate his trolling online. Offensive genius. Maybe has found a new cheat code with the portal? But why would he come to Auburn? He has a great chance to win 10+ games again this year and that would be back-to-back for Ole Miss He might have things humming over there. If he came to Auburn, he'd be using a lot of duct tape to start out with.

Luke Fickell is the most accomplished coach out there that we could actually have a chance in hell of snatching up.

14 minutes ago, woodford said:

Why those two? I've warmed up to Deion but it's still all hype at this point. I like Lane a lot. I think he's a funny dude and I appreciate his trolling online. Offensive genius. Maybe has found a new cheat code with the portal? But why would he come to Auburn? He has a great chance to win 10+ games again this year and that would be back-to-back for Ole Miss He might have things humming over there. If he came to Auburn, he'd be using a lot of duct tape to start out with.

Luke Fickell is the most accomplished coach out there that we could actually have a chance in hell of snatching up.

I'm warming to Deion too.  Slowly but surely.

I don't know much about Luke Fickel.  He might be the next Nick Saban, but I'm afraid the AU PTB won't have much patience with an up-and-comer.  Won't give him a chance to work the farm before posting record crops.