Interesting comments from Mike G

russnagel1

9 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Didn't Harsin say he would be calling the plays with Austin as the OC?

Yes, he did.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

Fair. My point is that most of our fan base expects a to be in or around the sec mix every year. Delusional or not. That means we have to compete with Bama, and UGA every year (and the rest of sec west hell) and win at least one of them most years. That means we have to be at least in the same zip code as them in recruiting level. And they’ve been WAY ahead of us for years and have starved us of premier talent. It’s a full jump start.  In my opinion Harsin was a “solid” choice on paper but not a game changer. And that’s whats required. Forgetting all the game management frustration - solid was never going to work. Wrong tool for the problem. Yes the AU admin are friggin nuts and they killed whatever chance he might have had. But imo even if the admin wacko thing had never have happened,  in the long term, he really never had a chance anyway. Just my opinion. I’m wrong a lot.

It's great to know there are other folks on the board who are wrong a lot. I'm definitely a long time member of that club! I suspect the club is larger than some folks think 😂

These guys have media passes right? They're not going to bite the hand that feeds them. Backing TJ so much to show support of Harsin, trying to give Harsin a pass, etc

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Auburn93 said:

Dell Mcgee is the only one I know.

He could be the next Jimbo or Mario great recruiting does not always equate winning. Saban, Day, Meyer, Dabo and to a degree Smart have been good at both. Not to mention they develop the talent they recruit. Is it too much to ask to see a little more head coaching acumen from Dell before making him a HC? IMO Auburn needs to go after an established winning HC or legitimate proven coordinator that can put together a staff that can recruit at a high level.

• Like 1

On 10/6/2022 at 9:50 AM, aucom96 said:

A lot of this speculation over how Harsin was abused presumes that there was no reasonable purpose behind the investigation. All the crap with the girl, yeah... that was uncalled for and unfortunate. But Harsin fired a coach a few games in, had another respected coordinator leave for an arguably lesser job, had accusations from formers players, there was a lot of smoke that this guy was at best a difficult person to work with. 

There was no guarantee Davis would have made any significant difference in what we're seeing. He was not a well seasoned coordinator, he was a project. When he left, Harsin - an offensive coach - hired his close associate to take over that offense. Calzada was his choice. Ashford was his choice. Neither won out over a guy who probably couldn't start at any SEC program outside of maybe Vanderbilt, but the named starter is still sharing reps with one of them. All of this screams poor management. Clearly Harsin can conceive and sell a plan, but his own execution is apparently lacking and some of that has to be attributable to his ability to work with others. 

It just isn't working out. There may be a team that needs a guy like Harsin and will give him the space and time to adjust, but it's not Auburn. Football is not a by-the-way sport almost anywhere in the SEC. You are not going to be able to hide in your office or in the locker room with 4 or 5 years to figure things out, but that's the pace Harsin has been operating at. Davis was not going to make a difference in that anymore than Bobo or anyone else. 

Because Harsin is a head coach, and because he is tied to Auburn University......those accusations HAD to be investigated. Remember softball? Auburn obviously learned a lesson there. I do not blame Auburn for looking into his relationship with his secretary, and making sure that it was nothing there that could harm the University.  Auburn did not want a Wimp Sanderson scandal going on, and I don't blame them at all. There was no real witch hunt. There was an unusual situation that needed to be examined by the University, and that's all there was to it.  Harsin, a man who is all about appearances, apparently didn't see that coming. 

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

22 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

In a different situation or light I think Harsin would have been the right hire. However with Auburn being super Auburn like…timing was just not right. You had an AD make the hire who was not unilaterally supported, some still on the Gus Bus, etc. You get here and you see meddling and you try and lay down the law, and then all hell breaks loose. Maybe right coach wrong time, or wrong coach at the absolute worst time. Time to move on.

Harsin was never going to be the right guy. He is not SEC coaching material. He doesn't have the right personality and he doesn't comprehend the culture of the SEC. He is who and what he is, and timing had nothing to do with it. I hope this is something that the new AD and President understand about the next coach they hire. He must be willing to do what it takes to succeed in a very tough, highly competitive conference, and in the toughest division in college football. Harsin just didn't want to do what it takes. If he had.....he would've made the effort right from the start. He just never even took the first step. He brought Boise to Auburn and thought he could just plug it in. It was a very lazy approach. 

• Like 9
  • Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

Harsin was never going to be the right guy. He is not SEC coaching material. He doesn't have the right personality and he doesn't comprehend the culture of the SEC. He is who and what he is, and timing had nothing to do with it. I hope this is something that the new AD and President understand about the next coach they hire. He must be willing to do what it takes to succeed in a very tough, highly competitive conference, and in the toughest division in college football. Harsin just didn't want to do what it takes. If he had.....he would've made the effort right from the start. He just never even took the first step. He brought Boise to Auburn and thought he could just plug it in. It was a very lazy approach. 

“Brought Boise to Auburn” is the lazy take.   Harsin had two successful coordinators who know the SEC landscape. As well as two alumni Auburn players on staff. Austin Davis was not a Boise guy but a NFL coach who our QBs were very excited to work with.  I’m not making excuses for Harsin, he certainly has not done well, but I’m not going to make up shite to throw around. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

Because Harsin is a head coach, and because he is tied to Auburn University......those accusations HAD to be investigated. Remember softball? Auburn obviously learned a lesson there. I do not blame Auburn for looking into his relationship with his secretary, and making sure that it was nothing there that could harm the University.  Auburn did not want a Wimp Sanderson scandal going on, and I don't blame them at all. There was no real witch hunt. There was an unusual situation that needed to be examined by the University, and that's all there was to it.  Harsin, a man who is all about appearances, apparently didn't see that coming. 

There are many inside that believe Harsin was guilty but if you don’t have pictures or videos, and the party investigated doesn’t admit it, it’s tough to prove guilt.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 2
  • Dislike 2

22 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

There are many inside that believe Harsin was guilty but if you don’t have pictures or videos, and the party investigated doesn’t admit it, it’s tough to prove guilt.

Guilty of what? Come on man, critize his coaching,  play calling, staff handling,  player communication,  recruiting etc. He needs to go ASAP.   No need to  drag his family thru the mud. Just cut him loose and be done with it

• Like 7

On 10/6/2022 at 9:16 AM, russnagel1 said:

Starting at about the two minute mark Mike G makes some interesting comments about how things were supposed to go concerning the hiring of Austin Davis.

this was already posted in one of the auburn article threads.

• Facepalm 1

Like others have pretty well articulated, and I respect anyone’s opinion and their right to have one (I operate a message board after all), but those guys are somewhat of a joke.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RunInRed said:

Like others have pretty well articulated, and I respect anyone’s opinion and their right to have one (I operate a message board after all), but those guys are somewhat of a joke.

Telling fans what they want to be true instead of what is actually happening may get you some followers, but your credibility is nonexistent.

• Like 3

LSU is about to get blown out at home. These are the same guys that’s trying to say that even though it was a loss Auburn moved the ball. Auburn should have won that game period. No excuses 

Edited by e808
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Guilty of what? Come on man, critize his coaching,  play calling, staff handling,  player communication,  recruiting etc. He needs to go ASAP.   No need to  drag his family thru the mud. Just cut him loose and be done with it

Who is dragging his family thru the mud? He did it, not me.

• Facepalm 1

These guys quoted conversations they’ve had with 2/4 QBs on the roster and people are hating on it 😂 🤡.

Everything they are saying is true. The entire season was torpedoed with the offensive coordinator debacle and then the witch hunt. It’s still on Harsin to make it work and he hasn’t. I hope we go with Urban Meyer. 

10 hours ago, e808 said:

LSU is about to get blown out at home. These are the same guys that’s trying to say that even though it was a loss Auburn moved the ball. Auburn should have won that game period. No excuses 

We should've gone undefeated in home *conference* play this year between that and Arky and A&M disappointing. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Who is dragging his family thru the mud? He did it, not me.

Anyone can provide hard legit proof of the alleged transgressions?  If this stuff was true then why was he not fired in February? Unless proven it can be perceived to be dragging his fam through the mud. 

1 hour ago, PoetTiger said:

Anyone can provide hard legit proof of the alleged transgressions?  If this stuff was true then why was he not fired in February? Unless proven it can be perceived to be dragging his fam through the mud. 

I already explained, no pictures or videos, no admission of guilt. Do you actually think people just made this all up out of the blue?

13 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

I already explained, no pictures or videos, no admission of guilt. Do you actually think people just made this all up out of the blue?

Without proof? Yes. I do. And if you haven't been hiding under a freaking rock for a decade or so, you wouldn't be sure either. I don't support keeping him, but you are a complete idiot if you think accusing someone of crap like that without verifiable proof is a good thing. We don't disagree on Harsin as a coach. But I don't want anything to do with someone who thinks that rumor bs was cool, and if you do, you've never read the Auburn Creed, or understood it. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Accusations like that should come with some proof…I mean how hard can it be in a digital Information Age…. no emails, texts, odd expenses, nothing. And if it was proof he would could have been fired for cause.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JuscAUse! said:

Without proof? Yes. I do. And if you haven't been hiding under a freaking rock for a decade or so, you wouldn't be sure either. I don't support keeping him, but you are a complete idiot if you think accusing someone of crap like that without verifiable proof is a good thing. We don't disagree on Harsin as a coach. But I don't want anything to do with someone who thinks that rumor bs was cool, and if you do, you've never read the Auburn Creed, or understood it. 

Again, it wasn’t a rumor. It wasn’t just made up out of thin air because people didn’t want the guy as coach etc. I’ll say it one more time, there were no videos or pictures, no admission of guilt, and he was threatening to lawyer up, to get his money. Of the many terrible decisions Greene made, (with a lame duck school president) he again had Harsin’s back with the so-called investigation.

So here we are.

6 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

Accusations like that should come with some proof…I mean how hard can it be in a digital Information Age…. no emails, texts, odd expenses, nothing. And if it was proof he would could have been fired for cause.

So you are of the belief it was just all made up by some very terrible people, several, several of them? Just terrible, horrible Auburn people, made all of this up?