this is what breaks my heart about this year

aubiefifty

the betting line is basically we get stomped by thirty points. and this is our oldest rival. and adding insult is that coach on the other that is just killing it could have been our head coach and just imagine where we would be now? all because we refused to let him coach the bowl game for his current team at the time. i honestly believe we could have had another natty by now under him as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

the betting line is basically we get stomped by thirty points. and this is our oldest rival. and adding insult is that coach on the other that is just killing it could have been our head coach and just imagine where we would be now? all because we refused to let him coach the bowl game for his current team at the time. i honestly believe we could have had another natty by now under him as well.

I feel much the same as you.  I'm not sure if an AU deal with Kirby would have been made had the initial AU rejection not occurred, but maybe it would have.  I've heard conflicting accounts.

In any event, I wish we had gotten him.  Georgia has their head coaching question answered for the next 15 years.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MaxCohen216 said:

I feel much the same as you.  I'm not sure if an AU deal with Kirby would have been made had the initial AU rejection not occurred, but maybe it would have.  I've heard conflicting accounts.

In any event, I wish we had gotten him.  Georgia has their head coaching question answered for the next 15 years.

the being thirty point dog to the dawgs just kills me too tho.

• Like 1

We need to hire an SEC level Athletic Director and let him do his job. He doesn't need to be managed by some overpowered compliance officer, or some booster-installed watchdog. 

Even if we had hired Smart, he would have taken that Georgia job. We are big on building these Frankenstein monsters that are obviously conceived outside of the AD and it always eventually falls apart. Chizik was a solid football mind and coordinator that had stumbled at his first coaching job. Someone decided to give him an all-star staff of street agent recruiters and a hotshot OC and it worked...until he decided he wanted control and the players became a disciplinary nightmare and finally quit on him. Gus was great until changes in rules effectively destroyed his offensive advantage. I feel like caring about defense was basically forced on him and he and his offensive staff were terrible at roster management. 

If we had a professional AD, we could look at a bigger picture instead of just jumping at whatever quick fix we think will fast-track us to competing with Georgia and bama. We need to hire a head coach with that big picture thinking that can sell the program to fans, media, his staff and players. We need a staff pulling in one direction, that can successfully recruit to that direction and understands our challenges in the areas we recruit. Harsin talked a lot of this game, but he came and did mostly the opposite. That's on Greene. We need better than Greene this time and we need to let that AD make the hire. 

Do I expect that to happen? Not a chance. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, aucom96 said:

We need to hire an SEC level Athletic Director and let him do his job. He doesn't need to be managed by some overpowered compliance officer, or some booster-installed watchdog. 

Even if we had hired Smart, he would have taken that Georgia job. We are big on building these Frankenstein monsters that are obviously conceived outside of the AD and it always eventually falls apart. Chizik was a solid football mind and coordinator that had stumbled at his first coaching job. Someone decided to give him an all-star staff of street agent recruiters and a hotshot OC and it worked...until he decided he wanted control and the players became a disciplinary nightmare and finally quit on him. Gus was great until changes in rules effectively destroyed his offensive advantage. I feel like caring about defense was basically forced on him and he and his offensive staff were terrible at roster management. 

If we had a professional AD, we could look at a bigger picture instead of just jumping at whatever quick fix we think will fast-track us to competing with Georgia and bama. We need to hire a head coach with that big picture thinking that can sell the program to fans, media, his staff and players. We need a staff pulling in one direction, that can successfully recruit to that direction and understands our challenges in the areas we recruit. Harsin talked a lot of this game, but he came and did mostly the opposite. That's on Greene. We need better than Greene this time and we need to let that AD make the hire. 

i understand kirbster would leave when mama called but good lord think of all that talent we would have to  work with! it would have been more than worth it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

the being thirty point dog to the dawgs just kills me too tho.

Yeah, I remember a time when Georgia DREADED playing us, instead of getting excited about playing us.

• Love 1

6 minutes ago, MaxCohen216 said:

Yeah, I remember a time when Georgia DREADED playing us, instead of getting excited about playing us.

and then the qb would act like a crybaby because he got his behind handed to him..........grins. oh well

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

If it makes you feel any better, I don’t think Kirby would’ve been as successful here. Too much of a culture clash for Auburn. 

But I agree with you wholeheartedly on the first part. Rivalry games should be competitive, and we’re probably getting blown out on Saturday. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

If it makes you feel any better, I don’t think Kirby would’ve been as successful here. Too much of a culture clash for Auburn. 

But I agree with you wholeheartedly on the first part. Rivalry games should be competitive, and we’re probably getting blown out on Saturday. 

this will be one of the few times i will not watch the game or will turn the channel if it gets bad. i am loyal and i love our kids but at 67 heartbreak takes a toll on me.

I'm not upset that Kirby was never the HC at Auburn. I can't stand him. What I hate is that GA was very fertile recruiting ground for Auburn and we lost that when Kirby took over at UGA. That was going to happen anyway once he took the HC job, and Kirby leaving for UGA would've happened too. You all say you would've been OK with that but I really think it would've bothered many people. He would've raided staff, recruits, some players....think about that. 

But what I really hate is that UGA will probably look forward to humiliating Auburn and will run up the score if that opportunity presents itself. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

Kirby would have failed at Auburn. He had players bought under Saban and now he is buying them at Georgia.  Rich McGlynn would have shut him down.  He would have to win with lesser players at Auburn.  He has never had to do that. WE WANT A COACH that wants to be at Auburn.  He didn't want to be here.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Auburn93 said:

Kirby would have failed at Auburn. He had players bought under Saban and now he is buying them at Georgia.  Rich McGlynn would have shut him down.  He would have to win with lesser players at Auburn.  He has never had to do that. WE WANT A COACH that wants to be at Auburn.  He didn't want to be here.  

i agree with all you said but he did want to come to get the head coaching thing on his resune but i also understand he would have left for ga if he got the chance.

3 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i agree with all you said but he did want to come to get the head coaching thing on his resune but i also understand he would have left for ga if he got the chance.

I would never have trusted Kirby....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tigerbelle said:

I would never have trusted Kirby....

He'd be where he is now regardless. I can't stand that bowl cut bum. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, aucom96 said:

I don't believe that at all. Georgia probably would've held on to Richt a year longer and Kirby would've had it rolling at Auburn by the end of 2015. I truly believe had this timeline occurred Georgia winds up hiring Jimbo. 

It's all speculation but I'd bet that his 13-15 classes would've all been top 10 or top 5. I don't believe he would dip on the program he was building to go to another program that would have to play Auburn every year. Kirby is a Georgia Bulldog through and through, but he would have fit in at Auburn perfectly. Pat Dye 2.0. 

If everyone is so hellbent on thinking Kirby would've left for Georgia, then why did he stay at Alabama so long? He could've called Mark Richt up and asked for the DC job whenever. You're not tied to your alma mater. It's a business. Hell, Will Muschamp coached Florida. I know that dude HATES Florida. 

Edited by woodford
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, woodford said:

If everyone is so hellbent on thinking Kirby would've left for Georgia, then why did he stay at Alabama so long? He could've called Mark Richt up and asked for the DC job whenever. You're not tied to your alma mater. It's a business. Hell, Will Muschamp coached Florida. I know that dude HATES Florida. 

Kirby isn't where he is just because he's that great of a coach, he's where he is because he owns that Georgia recruiting bed. At best, Auburn had a share of it when we were on top of recruiting and that's as well as I suspect Kirby would have done at Auburn. When he was in Tuscaloosa, he was in a situation where the Alabama recruiting market was already his. He inherited a similar situation at Georgia and tightened it up. It was the perfect land for him. The Auburn job would have been much more challenging and I'm sure his list of conditions was or would have been long to take it. Doesn't really matter now, but I'll just say I'm confident he's much more content with his current situation. 

5 hours ago, aucom96 said:

Even if we had hired Smart, he would have taken that Georgia job.

I love this ridiculous assertion.  When was the last time a coach left AU for a "better" job?  There is zero evidence that this was an eventuality.

Edited by dyehardfanAU
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

I love this ridiculous assertion.  When was the last time a coach left AU for a "better" job?  There is zero evidence that this was an eventuality.

People kill me when they say this dumb stuff . Then be the first to cry about not getting quality coaching. Nobody knows what he would’ve done. Auburn fans love sabotaging narratives 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

There is zero evidence that this was an eventuality.

Yeah, it's an opinion about a "what if". Gus flirted with other jobs. I don't think it's an insult to Auburn to say that the Georgia job presented numerous advantages to Kirby Smart, regardless of what job he held at the time. 

18 minutes ago, aucom96 said:

Yeah, it's an opinion about a "what if". Gus flirted with other jobs. I don't think it's an insult to Auburn to say that the Georgia job presented numerous advantages to Kirby Smart, regardless of what job he held at the time. 

Let's just pretend you are right.  Who cares so long as he leaves the cupboards stocked for the next coach.

I was under the impression in the interview with AU Kirby requested details of all the current NCAA allegations but we refused to share that with him in case he took the information back to Bama. Am I off base? Could've sworn I read that here at the time. 

Had he been hired here and had things humming and we gave him a raise when UGA came calling I'm not sure it would have been such an easy decision to go back to UGA and start over. This is a business and a lot goes into these decisions beyond alma mater. Not saying he wouldn't have left but I don't think it's fair to assume he would've left, particularly if he had things looking good here

• Like 2

6 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

Yes bowl cut became a heck of a recruiter.    I’m not so sure he is such a great X’s and O’s coach but when he gets all the 5* guys and his team is playing against less talented teams at least 10 games a year it equals a lot of success.  I have always thought if they ever got a coach who could keep the Georgia talent in the state he would have some great teams.  Other teams (including Auburn) used to take a lot of the top Georgia HS talent out of state but Kirby has pretty much locked down now.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I was under the impression in the interview with AU Kirby requested details of all the current NCAA allegations but we refused to share that with him in case he took the information back to Bama. Am I off base? Could've sworn I read that here at the time. 

Had he been hired here and had things humming and we gave him a raise when UGA came calling I'm not sure it would have been such an easy decision to go back to UGA and start over. This is a business and a lot goes into these decisions beyond alma mater. Not saying he wouldn't have left but I don't think it's fair to assume he would've left, particularly if he had things looking good here

I remember when Pat Dye left to go coach at UGA...oh wait...maybe I'm thinking about that time that Vince Dooley left UGA to come to AU...

Edited by dyehardfanAU
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

that coach on the other that is just killing it could have been our head coach and just imagine where we would be now? all because we refused to let him coach the bowl game for his current team at the time.

I'm not sure it was as simple as that. Plus I 100% believe he would have taken the GA job after Richt left anyways. Where would that have left us? Probably with Gus after he left.

• Like 1