Should USA be a Christian nation?

TexasTiger

Same answer as should be given to the following:

Should the United States declare it is a Muslim nation?

Should the United States declare it is a Hindu nation?

Should the United States declare it is a Buddhist nation?

Should the United States declare it is a Jewish nation?

Should the United States declare it is a Pastafarian nation?

Should the United States declare it is an Athiest nation?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Define "Christian nation." What exactly would that mean? Theocracy at all levels of government? Or just a meaningless plaque on a wall?

Declared by whom? Ya know, anybody can "declare" something. The question is, would any person, group, or agency have the authority to make a declaration like that in a way that would be generally accepted and applied nationally?

An amendment to the U.S. Constitution? It would never receive the necessary support.

A ruling by the Supreme Court? The court can only rule on cases brought before it.

The Church of Joe Bob? Yeah, right.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

We do not know how to be a "Christian" nation.

Probably help to understand what a Christian is and what it isn't. Put in the work.

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

Probably help to understand what a Christian is and what it isn't. Put in the work.

When he's done, please explain it to the "rest" of us.

(And I am not talking about what they purport to be, but what they actually are.)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Leftfield said:

Same answer as should be given to the following:

Should the United States declare it is a Muslim nation?

Should the United States declare it is a Hindu nation?

Should the United States declare it is a Buddhist nation?

Should the United States declare it is a Jewish nation?

Should the United States declare it is a Pastafarian nation?

Should the United States declare it is an Athiest nation?

I think some of the problem here is some conflate "nation" with "government".

We should obviously strive to be a nation of various religions and a secular government.

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 3

As a follower of Jesus, there is absolutely NO way to be a "Christian" nation.

As much as I love my roman, Southern baptist, fundamentalist, and all around Evangelical brothers and sisters, I consider their understanding of the Gospel to be spiritual terrorism. And I don't want it to hold sway over me and my family. 

I think that if you really do your homework, you would find this Christian Nation nonsense is pretty Antichrist

• Like 4

18 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

You make sense at times. 

So do you. ;)

So what did you think of my second sentence:   "We should obviously strive to be a nation of various religions and a secular government."

Edited by homersapien

10 hours ago, NolaAuTiger said:

@homersapien the English version, that is. 😂

Would that our constitution were as straightforward.

"France is an indivisible, secular, democratic and social Republic, guaranteeing that all citizens regardless of their origin, race or religion are treated as equals before the law and respecting all religious beliefs" states the Constitution of 1958."

Perhaps it's time for an update.

Edited by homersapien

9 minutes ago, homersapien said:

So do you. ;)

So what did you think of my second sentence:   "We should obviously strive to be a nation of various religions and a secular government."

We are a nation of varying religions. Thus the need for separation for separation of state and religion. “Strive” don’t get what you are saying. 

22 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

We are a nation of varying religions. Thus the need for separation for separation of state and religion. “Strive” don’t get what you are saying. 

"Strive" means we should try to keep it that way.  In other words, we should welcome varying religions.

Doesn't that make sense?  Is it not obvious to you?

I get the feeling you aren't really in favor of it.

Edited by homersapien

On 9/21/2022 at 4:05 PM, homersapien said:

I think some of the problem here is some conflate "nation" with "government".

We should obviously strive to be a nation of various religions and a secular government.

The thing that has always bothered me about religion is this conceit among followers that their religion is the only acceptable vessel for morality. Most of us have heard the joke of religion boiling down to the phrase "don't be a d**k," but all religions pretty much share the same lessons about being a good person, just with different stories and characters. Certainly there are some major points of contention, but the gist is the same.

Most of my life I've heard people talk about someone being a "good, Christian man" or "good Christian, woman." There wasn't necessarily any malice toward other religions behind it, but there's such an ingrained arrogance to that very statement, as if saying "good, Buddhist" person would be completely alien. Of course the most disdain is held for athiests. Think I've said this before, but who should be held in higher regard: the person who does the right thing because they believe in an always-watching higher power that is teaching them to (and might punish them if they don't), or the person who does the right thing because it's the right thing?

Definition of integrity in my kids' karate class:  Doing the right thing even when no one is watching.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 2

4 hours ago, homersapien said:

"Strive" means we should try to keep it that way.  In other words, we should welcome varying religions.

Doesn't that make sense?  Is it not obvious to you?

I get the feeling you aren't really in favor of it.

“Favor”? I have my beliefs, you have yours. Pretty simple

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

“Favor”? I have my beliefs, you have yours. Pretty simple

Obviously. :-\

But the question is, would you prefer that our country welcome various religions, or not?

Edited by homersapien

11 hours ago, homersapien said:

Obviously. :-\

But the question is, would you prefer that our country welcome various religions, or not?

“Welcome”? Religions other than Christianity are at liberty to exercise their faith in this country.

What are you attempting to get at Brother Homer? Personally I don’t go out my way to have them over for coffee and tea and doubt you do either. Outside of family and a few close friends I have few people over though.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Leftfield said:

The thing that has always bothered me about religion is this conceit among followers that their religion is the only acceptable vessel for morality. Most of us have heard the joke of religion boiling down to the phrase "don't be a d**k," but all religions pretty much share the same lessons about being a good person, just with different stories and characters. Certainly there are some major points of contention, but the gist is the same.

Most of my life I've heard people talk about someone being a "good, Christian man" or "good Christian, woman." There wasn't necessarily any malice toward other religions behind it, but there's such an ingrained arrogance to that very statement, as if saying "good, Buddhist" person would be completely alien. Of course the most disdain is held for athiests. Think I've said this before, but who should be held in higher regard: the person who does the right thing because they believe in an always-watching higher power that is teaching them to (and might punish them if they don't), or the person who does the right thing because it's the right thing?

Definition of integrity in my kids' karate class:  Doing the right thing even when no one is watching.

Religious people generally have several things pounded in their heads from a very young age:

1) The Religion they follow is (generally) the only correct religion in the world and is the only one that will lead to salvation 

2) Their religion is the only reason "good" and "morality" exist at all in the world. Example: If it wasn't for thousands of years of people reading in their religious book that it is wrong to kill, steal, lie, etc then humans would have no idea that those things are truly "wrong" and the world would be absolute evil and chaos without their religion. Good atheist or good people of other religions only exist because of the historical influence their own religion and their own version of God has had on society. 

3) Everyone that is not apart of their religion is out to get them, persecute them, destroy them, etc. Everyone that is not apart of their religion is against them and against their God and against everything that is good or moral or right in the world. 

4) They will be rewarded for eternity in death for believing and fighting for their religion in this life. Anyone who is not apart of their religion will face eternal punishment for not being so. 

These are very powerful and influential beliefs and statements that a lot of Religious people are raised on and that they form their entire worldview around. It's really interesting to me to see so many young people increasingly starting to break away from the religions and beliefs their parents/churches/ and sometimes even schools raised them on, and I think its good that a stronger variety of beliefs is starting to take hold in the US. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Leftfield said:

You guys are something. Do you actually run around trying to determine motives behind “doing the right thing”? 
You have always been one of my favorite and seemly level headed posters on forum. Seems you have coffeetized.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

16 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

You guys are something. Do you actually run around trying to determine motives behind “doing the right thing”? 
You have always been one of my favorite and seemly level headed posters on forum. Seems you have coffeetized.

He is more like homer actually.  I think both he and coffee are disciples of homer.

• Haha 1