How do you stop a quick passing attack

gr82b4au

40 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

Didn't we drop 7 and 8 in coverage last year and their QB had over 80% completion percentage? Not trying to be an a$$. Just curious as to why it would work this time. 

It's very rare to drop 8 into coverage and the opposing QB have an 80% completion rate when the zone is run correctly. Clifford had the best game of his season against us.  A literal outlier statistically.  I also don't think the players executed it very well as it was their first real test and we didn't disguise the zone very much at the beginning of the year bc guys were inexperienced in the new system.

The game plan when dropping 8 into coverage is to let them dink you for 3-6 yards a pass the whole way down the field expecting that their QB will eventually make a mistake.  If he ends up being perfect, which is rare, you tip your hat. 

The above is still better than blitzing because:

1. with a 1-2 second drop the blitz almost never gets home before the ball is out of the QB's hands, and
  2. The area the blitzer vacates now has to be covered up by someone moving out of their traditional position leaving more space where he vacates and where the blitzer vacates.  You hear the annoucers/QB stat guys talk about throwing into the blitz? This is what they mean.  QB knows the area is open and can deliver a dart before the blitzer even begins to apply pressure.

It is why so few teams blitz and play man against Moo State.

• Like 1

A lot of different things can be done in coverage, but a lot Saturday will come down to D-Line play. 

#1 Stop the run

#2 Defensive Lineman can effect a quick passing game in a couple ways. First and foremost is interior guys getting pressure in the QB's face and getting him off his most comfortable spot in the pocket. On plays they are not able to get penetration they need to get their eyes and hands up to deflect short passes. Outside rushers and guys coming with pressure need the interior guys to force the QB off his sport in order to give them a extra second to second in a half to get sacks. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AUgrad2013 said:

A lot of different things can be done in coverage, but a lot Saturday will come down to D-Line play. 

#1 Stop the run

#2 Defensive Lineman can effect a quick passing game in a couple ways. First and foremost is interior guys getting pressure in the QB's face and getting him off his most comfortable spot in the pocket. On plays they are not able to get penetration they need to get their eyes and hands up to deflect short passes. Outside rushers and guys coming with pressure need the interior guys to force the QB off his sport in order to give them a extra second to second in a half to get sacks. 

Colby Wooden playing inside (1" & 3") would be my plan to collapse the pocket and a lot of Jayson Jones. At 6'6 he can get in passing lanes very easily. 

4 hours ago, Didba said:

It's very rare to drop 8 into coverage and the opposing QB have an 80% completion rate when the zone is run correctly. Clifford had the best game of his season against us.  A literal outlier statistically.  I also don't think the players executed it very well as it was their first real test and we didn't disguise the zone very much at the beginning of the year bc guys were inexperienced in the new system.

The game plan when dropping 8 into coverage is to let them dink you for 3-6 yards a pass the whole way down the field expecting that their QB will eventually make a mistake.  If he ends up being perfect, which is rare, you tip your hat. 

The above is still better than blitzing because:

1. with a 1-2 second drop the blitz almost never gets home before the ball is out of the QB's hands, and
  2. The area the blitzer vacates now has to be covered up by someone moving out of their traditional position leaving more space where he vacates and where the blitzer vacates.  You hear the annoucers/QB stat guys talk about throwing into the blitz? This is what they mean.  QB knows the area is open and can deliver a dart before the blitzer even begins to apply pressure.

It is why so few teams blitz and play man against Moo State.

I agree with everything you said, and I thought exactly the same thing. Now we are the D coordinators and it's the middle of the 4th quarter and the opposing QB IS having a career day. What now? I'm in panic mode and ready to do something different. But you're the boss. What's the correct call?

21 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

I agree with everything you said, and I thought exactly the same thing. Now we are the D coordinators and it's the middle of the 4th quarter and the opposing QB IS having a career day. What now? I'm in panic mode and ready to do something different. But you're the boss. What's the correct call?

I load the field with DBs and have my best pass rusher delay blitz up the one gap with the biggest Dtackle on the team bull rushing  the center. After that pray to the football gods. 

• Haha 1

Another way to neutralize a quick passing game is to play keep away. If our offense can put together some 5 and 6 minute scoring drives that end in TDs, PSU won’t be able to stay in rhythm with the short stuff and will need big plays. 

I think we could do a mixture of press man coverage with inside leverage forcing their WRs to release outside mixed in with some good zone blitz schemes. Our LBs really have to play well as do our Safeties and DBs. IT is a team effort. We need our DL creating pressure with hands up.  Throw in some max zone here and there and if executed correctly I think we can shut them down.

Ultimately,  if I was CJS and trying to keep is as simp and effective, as possible I would probably play cover 2 man most 1st and 2nds  downs with tight press coverage and then mix some zone and zone/blitz packages in on 3rd and longs. One thing I miss about KEvin Steele.....Press man coverage just daring their WRs.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I think we could do a mixture of press man coverage with inside leverage forcing their WRs to release outside mixed in with some good zone blitz schemes. Our LBs really have to play well as do our Safeties and DBs. IT is a team effort. We need our DL creating pressure with hands up.  Throw in some max zone here and there and if executed correctly I think we can shut them down.

Ultimately,  if I was CJS and trying to keep is as simp and effective, as possible I would probably play cover 2 man most 1st and 2nds  downs with tight press coverage and then mix some zone and zone/blitz packages in on 3rd and longs. One thing I miss about KEvin Steele.....Press man coverage just daring their WRs.

This is exactly what @bigbirdwas saying I think. 

• Like 2

On 9/14/2022 at 8:55 AM, bigbird said:

Press man with hard inside leverage with you corners and NB. Punch with your outside hand on the release. That will force the receiver to work along the LoS.

2 shell or robber from your safeties 

Widen OLB and buzz to H/C upon their key

Great minds and what not lol.

20 hours ago, Didba said:

This is exactly what @bigbirdwas saying I think. 

I should have just quoted Bird and said This ^^^^^^ lol.

1 hour ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Great minds and what not lol.

I should have just quoted Bird and said This ^^^^^^ lol.

Nah, flex them bain cells!

• Haha 1

On 9/15/2022 at 1:58 PM, AUgrad2013 said:

#1 Stop the run

I remember a D coordinator saying the exact same thing about Spurriers O. Wayne Hall, maybe? When asked how to stop the Gator passing O, he said stop the run. I remember thinking what a DA he was. After we beat them that year, a statistician did his thing and Ole Steve had a back that averaged 100 YPG every year.  Not many folks knew that or even thought about it. Everyone focused on the pass.  Pre I phone days, those stat guys had to work, and they did good work. So you gotta make any O one dimensional. You can plan for that. 

Edited by JuscAUse!
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JuscAUse! said:

I remember a D coordinator saying the exact same thing about Spurriers O. Wayne Hall, maybe? When asked how to stop the Gator passing O, he said stop the run. I remember thinking what a DA he was. After we beat them that year, a statistician did his thing and Ole Steve had a back that averaged 100 YPG every year.  Not many folks knew that or even thought about it. Everyone focused on the pass.  Pre I phone days, those stat guys had to work, and they did good work. So you gotta make any O one dimensional. You can plan for that. 

That’s a great point. It’s has gotten so much harder to simply “stop the run” with these spread offenses. Ever play is basically 4 plays in one. You have any kind of run game with the QB read off of that. You also have teams running a bubble screen to one side of the field and quick game to the other side. It’s a numbers battle that the offense has an advantage unless you have a defensive line that can disrupt. 

• Like 1