Is the Penn State game the biggest Auburn home game in 20 years?

woodford

This all about context. If Auburn had played this game 6 years ago like Clemson, it would be just another fun, massive CFB game that makes the sport so unique. There was no existential or identity crisis surrounding the program or a question of where Auburn's place in the CFB universe will be in an extremely fast changing environment. That might sound silly because it's just CFB, but the unknowns seem to outnumber the knowns when it comes to Auburn's future. Some of that is recency bias, as in 3 days ago.

Personally, the most important Auburn home game (outside of the 89 IB) was the 2003 Iron Bowl. The entire country saw our sleezy boosters going behind the coach's back and then our HC got to do what we all fantasize about, giving your boss the middle finger and dunking on him in front of everyone. It did not get any better than that and it then it segued into a NC type season.

I know what you're thinking, 'but the 2013 Iron Bowl!' Yes, it was the biggest Iron Bowl since the 89 game, but had Auburn lost it was not the end of the world. It was the beginning of a new era and a total rebirth of the program. I'm talking about importance, not hype. Other home games come to mind (DSOR 17 and 19, Tiger Bowl 16, IB 19), but given everything that has happened in the past several years, the head coaching change, the offseason, the 5-game losing streak, and the changing landscape of CFB I think that this Saturday is the most important Auburn home game since the 2003 Iron Bowl.

This one definitely seems important because the season feels like it hinges on it. We get to see our teams true potential and also it will go a long way in showing us whether or not Harsin will be around beyond this year. We are truly at a fork in the road

• Like 3

If comparing to the 2003 IB because of the repercussions that it might have on the HC’s future, then no. 

Harsin can theoretically lose to PSU and still win 6 more games to keep his job.

Thus the last SEC home game will be his most important because the pressure will be at its peak. So I will vote A&M on 11/12/22.

Not even close IMO. You mentioned the 2013 IB. Context- That was the highest ranking both teams have ever had going into that meeting. The winner was going to go onto play in the SEC championship and then go play for the national championship. Loser stays home. It was our biggest rival. 

It was not just a regular iron bowl. It was the biggest game in Auburn (maybe ever). That one game meant more than any other game I can ever remember. Winning that one game in 2013 will always mean more than if we won the Penn State game 75-0. 
This Penn State game really means nothing. They are not even in our conference. He could lose this game and we could still win the next 4 games and Harsin would be fine.

Heck I think that the Missouri game is even more important than this game honestly. 

• Like 8
  • Love 1

I agree with gr82b4au, this game means nothing in the grand scheme of things. Even less than mercer or SJ St! Had we lost either of those games it would have been much worse than losing to PSU. So no, not important at all. Not an SEC game, not a championship game, not a position in your league game, nothing rides on this game other than fun and pride.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Not even close IMO. You mentioned the 2013 IB. Context- That was the highest ranking both teams have ever had going into that meeting. The winner was going to go onto play in the SEC championship and then go play for the national championship. Loser stays home. It was our biggest rival. 

It was not just a regular iron bowl. It was the biggest game in Auburn (maybe ever). That one game meant more than any other game I can ever remember. Winning that one game in 2013 will always mean more than if we won the Penn State game 75-0. 
This Penn State game really means nothing. They are not even in our conference. He could lose this game and we could still win the next 4 games and Harsin would be fine.

Heck I think that the Missouri game is even more important than this game honestly. 

Could not disagree more. Winning could do massive things for the program in terms of recruiting, momentum, and pride. Win Saturday and we have a legit shot at being 5-0 going into Athens next month and al of a sudden Auburn football looks a helluva lot better than it did 10 months ago.

This is a massive football game. SEC vs B1G. I think it's the biggest matchup all day. Again, it's context. It's not just on the field. 

I don't care if it's a conference game, beating a trash Mizzou team with an 11 am kick off would not even register.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, woodford said:

Winning could do massive things for the program in terms of recruiting, momentum, and pride. Win Saturday and we have a legit shot at being 5-0 going into Athens next month and al of a sudden Auburn football looks a helluva lot better than it did 10 months ago.

And like we did after beating LSU, ARK and Ole Miss and gaining all that momentum last season, we could beat PSU, then shat the bed again and lose to LSU, possibly beginning another losing streak to GA, Ole Miss, ARK & MSU.

Kelly’s squad is also looking for redemption and momentum. Thus, I would say regardless of beating PSU or not, LSU is way more important than PSU.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gr82b4au said:

This is the correct answer.

The 2013 & 2017 Iron Bowls were both much bigger.  Any time a division championship is being decided, its inherently bigger.

Hell, the 2004 UGA game was bigger.  Top 5 matchup and a revenge game.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

Hell, the 2004 UGA game was bigger.  Top 5 matchup and a revenge game.

Proverbial OMG hell yes. I was so freaking nervous that entire game week because 1) undefeated season on the line and 2) the road team had won every game in the series the last 12 years minus 2000 and 2003.

• Love 1

This game is only the biggest home game till the next one.  Every game from here out will have increasing value for the future of Harsin and the trajectory of Auburn's football program for the next 3-5 years.  Win Penn State better not screw up against Mizzou. Then LSU comes to town and that will be huge.  two tough road games against UGA and Ole Miss before the Razorbacks come to town.  Depending on how the road trip goes that game will be huge.  It could be Auburn's 3rd or 4th loss in a row with the season hanging in the balance.  Another tough road game in Mississippi against possible the most underrated team in America just to come home and face a TaMu team that has pushed Auburn around on the line of scrimmage the past 4 years.  There is a distinct possibility that Auburn does not win another game till its last home game against WKU.  Penn State is neat though.

It could be Top 10-20 if looking from a POV of where we are right now; but I could see us looking back in 10 years, in hindsight, and it becoming a bigger deal.  I think calling this THE top home game in the last 20 years does a  HUGE disservice to our incredible highs and lows over the last 20 years.  We've witnessed some incredible moments and some absolutely horrific moments that have shaped this program for decades. 

If we win this and IF it jumpstarts a magical run then maybe top 5.  If we lose then it's just another loss in a long line of losses.

Edited by AUDevil

Perhaps I'm not conveying the message as well as I should. Yes, an Iron Bowl or DSOR are bigger ball games than an OOC game against a P5. My point is, regarding the 13 IB, had we lost that game it would not have been the end of the world. It would have sucked, but we all would be stoked that Auburn was back and probably winding up in a BCS bowl going 10-2.

Given everything that has happened in the past few years this program seems to be at a crossroads. That's my point. This could be a massive step forward in terms of momentum like that 2003 IB.

18 minutes ago, woodford said:

Perhaps I'm not conveying the message as well as I should. Yes, an Iron Bowl or DSOR are bigger ball games than an OOC game against a P5. My point is, regarding the 13 IB, had we lost that game it would not have been the end of the world. It would have sucked, but we all would be stoked that Auburn was back and probably winding up in a BCS bowl going 10-2.

Given everything that has happened in the past few years this program seems to be at a crossroads. That's my point. This could be a massive step forward in terms of momentum like that 2003 IB.

Massive. No. Closing out Bama last fall would have been massive. Of significance. Yes. Never hurts to win 😀

• Like 1

No, but if PSU beats the brakes off of us the fire and brimstone begins. 

• Like 1

What? Winning the 2013 iron bowl practically paved the way to a National championship appearance . That trumps all and everything .

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, woodford said:

This could be a massive step forward in terms of momentum like that 2003 IB.

Disagreed. Way too many hurdles after PSU. 2003 IB was the season finale and as you alluded to, was do or die for Tubbs. The PSU outcome, win or lose, will not determine Harsin’s fate. A win does not suddenly create a catapult for the remainder of the season. The SEC West is the toughest I have ever seen it. ARK, Ole Miss & MSU used to be gimme games. All three can easily beat AU this season. AU can rebound with wins over Mizz & LSU after a loss to PSU. So PSU won’t be a decisive barometer like the 2003 IB was.

Edited by Viper
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, woodford said:

This won’t be the end of the world if we lose as I imagine most people including auburn fans don’t expect us to win. In fact , I would go on to say that some of the fanbase wants us to lose if it finally gives us clarity on CBH status. People are waiting for the inevitable nail.

• Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, gabo4au said:

I agree with gr82b4au, this game means nothing in the grand scheme of things. Even less than mercer or SJ St! Had we lost either of those games it would have been much worse than losing to PSU. So no, not important at all. Not an SEC game, not a championship game, not a position in your league game, nothing rides on this game other than fun and pride.

That’s being intentionally dishonest about what this game represents. Penn State doesn’t look very good. Certainly not the caliber of SEC teams we are going to face. If we lose, we likely aren’t making a bowl.

Edited by AUght2win

5 hours ago, woodford said:

This all about context. If Auburn had played this game 6 years ago like Clemson, it would be just another fun, massive CFB game that makes the sport so unique. There was no existential or identity crisis surrounding the program or a question of where Auburn's place in the CFB universe will be in an extremely fast changing environment. That might sound silly because it's just CFB, but the unknowns seem to outnumber the knowns when it comes to Auburn's future. Some of that is recency bias, as in 3 days ago.

Personally, the most important Auburn home game (outside of the 89 IB) was the 2003 Iron Bowl. The entire country saw our sleezy boosters going behind the coach's back and then our HC got to do what we all fantasize about, giving your boss the middle finger and dunking on him in front of everyone. It did not get any better than that and it then it segued into a NC type season.

I know what you're thinking, 'but the 2013 Iron Bowl!' Yes, it was the biggest Iron Bowl since the 89 game, but had Auburn lost it was not the end of the world. It was the beginning of a new era and a total rebirth of the program. I'm talking about importance, not hype. Other home games come to mind (DSOR 17 and 19, Tiger Bowl 16, IB 19), but given everything that has happened in the past several years, the head coaching change, the offseason, the 5-game losing streak, and the changing landscape of CFB I think that this Saturday is the most important Auburn home game since the 2003 Iron Bowl.

It’s very important. But not more important than that 2013 IB. The world was watching. The greatest moment in CFB history happened. We won our last SEC title. Then we were a collapse away from winning a natty. I’d argue there never will be a more important home game than that one was.

But this one is big. It’ll definitely be one of those turning points either way like the 2003 IB you mention. 

1 hour ago, woodford said:

You’re saying it’s the biggest inflection point game since the 2003 IB.

1 hour ago, Viper said:

Disagreed. Way too many hurdles after PSU. 2003 IB was the season finale and as you alluded to, was do or die for Tubbs. The PSU outcome, win or lose, will not determine Harsin’s fate. A win does not suddenly create a catapult for the remainder of the season. The SEC West is the toughest I have ever seen it. ARK, Ole Miss & MSU used to be gimme games. All three can easily beat AU this season. AU can rebound with wins over Mizz & LSU after a loss to PSU. So PSU won’t be a decisive barometer like the 2003 IB was.

Well, first off, it absolutely could. But more accurately this game could be the beginning of the end if we don’t win. It’s more about the threat of disaster than the prospect of momentum.

We are basically fighting for 6 wins. WKU should give us three. We should take at least two from the batch of Mizzou, LSU, Arkansas, TAMU, OM, and MSU. I see virtually no hope of beating UGA or Bama (but hey, maybe the UA-Texas game was an indicator they are slipping).

Anyway, PSU could be the vital 6th win we need for a bowl and for Harsin to stay alive. 

If we lose, it’s going to be very difficult to get that six, I think.

12 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Well, first off, it absolutely could. But more accurately this game could be the beginning of the end if we don’t win. It’s more about the threat of disaster than the prospect of momentum.

We are basically fighting for 6 wins. WKU should give us three. We should take at least two from the batch of Mizzou, LSU, Arkansas, TAMU, OM, and MSU. I see virtually no hope of beating UGA or Bama (but hey, maybe the UA-Texas game was an indicator they are slipping).

Anyway, PSU could be the vital 6th win we need for a bowl and for Harsin to stay alive. 

If we lose, it’s going to be very difficult to get that six, I think.

If we're fighting to win 6 games, Harsin's not going to be here next year whether we go bowling or not.