new two deep for penn state...one change

aubiefifty

AUBURN — Auburn football has tweaked its quarterback ranking on the depth chart twice in a three-day stretch, amounting up to a net change of zero from Week 2 to Week 3.

T.J. Finley is once again listed as the only starter for the Penn State game.

That shouldn't come as a surprise, except that Auburn (2-0) made a last-second change before its 24-16 win against San Jose State: Finley had started the week as the lone starter, but in an updated depth chart handed out before kickoff, the starter was listed as Finley OR Robby Ashford, the Oregon transfer who outperformed Finley in the season opener.

Finley started the game. Ashford started the Tigers' second possession. Both threw interceptions by the end of the first quarter. Then Finley was the only QB who threw in the last three, completing 12 of 15 passes and rushing for a touchdown.

Now the "OR" has disappeared as Auburn prepares to host No. 22 Penn State (2-0) on Saturday (2:30 p.m. CT, CBS). Finley first. Ashford second.

It's the only change.

Here's the full two-deep.

Quarterback

The starter:T.J. Finley, jr.

The reserve: Robby Ashford, r-fr.

Running back

The starter: Tank Bigsby, jr.

The reserve: Jarquez Hunter, so.

Receiver

The starters: Shedrick Jackson (X), sr.; Malcolm Johnson Jr. (Z), jr.; Ja'Varrius Johnson (H), jr.

The reserves: Camden Brown (X), fr.; Koy Moore (Z), so.; Tar'Varish Dawson (H), r-fr.

Tight end

The starter: John Samuel Shenker, sr.

The reserves: Luke Deal, jr.

Offensive line

The starters: Kilian Zierer (LT), sr.; Brandon Council (LG), sr.; Tate Johnson (C), jr.; Kameron Stutts (RG), sr.; Austin Troxell (RT), sr.

The reserves: Brenden Coffey (LT), sr.; Jeremiah Wright (LG), jr. OR Jalil Irvin (LG), sr.; Avery Jernigan (C), so. OR Jalil Irvin (C), sr.; Keiondre Jones (RG), sr.; Alec Jackson (RT), sr.

FILM ANALYSISAuburn football: This area of Tigers' pass coverage is bad omen before Penn State game

AUBURN PLAYERSFor starting safety Donovan Kaufman, 9 years of football without dad in the stands ended in Auburn's season opener

Defensive line

The starters: Colby Wooden, jr.; Marcus Harris, jr.; Jayson Jones (nose), so.

The reserves: Morris Joseph Jr., sr.; Jeffrey M'ba, so.; Marquis Burks (nose), sr.

Edge

The starters: Derick Hall, sr.; Eku Leota, sr.

The reserves: Dylan Brooks, so.; Marcus Bragg, sr.

Linebacker

The starters: Owen Pappoe, sr.; Cam Riley, jr.

The reserves: Wesley Steiner, jr.; Eugene Asante, jr. OR Jake Levant, so.

Cornerback

The starters: Nehemiah Pritchett, jr.; Jaylin Simpson, jr.

The reserves: D.J. James, sr.; Keionte Scott, so. OR J.D. Rhym, fr.

Safety

The starter: Zion Puckett, jr.; Donovan Kaufman, so.

The reserves: Craig McDonald, so. OR Marquise Gilbert, so.; Cayden Bridges, r-fr.

Kicker

The starter: Anders Carlson, sr.

The reserve: Alex McPherson, fr.

Punter

The starter: Oscar Chapman, jr.

The reserve: Alex McPherson, fr.

Returner

Punts: Ja'Varrius Johnson, jr. OR Keionte Scott, so.

Kickoffs: Nehemiah Pritchett, jr. OR Jarquez Hunter, so.

This article originally appeared on Montgomery Advertiser: Auburn football quarterback tweak on depth chart for Penn Stat

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would suspect there’s still plays for Robby.  This may also help TJ feel more comfortable, like breathing room. Penn St will come in and stack the box. TJ must hit some nice ones, early. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sevenlee36 said:

Damn it, I thought it was going to say Holden was starting. What a waste

what if it ruined holden because he was playing too early? they say it happens.................no we need to do holden the right way and hopefully make sure no one messes him up. i will not trust qb coachs at auburn until i see some superior coaching. harsin was a qb and his reputation is he knows how to make qb's better. tj has improved.  and he will either continue to get better or not.

1 hour ago, alexava said:

I would suspect there’s still plays for Robby.  This may also help TJ feel more comfortable, like breathing room. Penn St will come in and stack the box. TJ must hit some nice ones, early. 

i think the team looked ahead this past weekend and we struggled because of it. i have been told a lot of coaches do it. i think tj played well after his last pick and even some sportswriters have said it. plus we are at home and it is a revenge game because folks thought we should have won up there. i think if the d steps up we win. i do not think tj has reached his full potential yet but i think it is coming.

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

AUBURN PLAYERS For starting safety Donovan Kaufman, 9 years of football without dad in the stands ended in Auburn's season opener

This is awesome. 

• Like 6
  • Love 3

On 9/12/2022 at 7:52 PM, aubiefifty said:

i think the team looked ahead this past weekend and we struggled because of it. i have been told a lot of coaches do it. i think tj played well after his last pick and even some sportswriters have said it. plus we are at home and it is a revenge game because folks thought we should have won up there. i think if the d steps up we win. i do not think tj has reached his full potential yet but i think it is coming.

The first half had me thinking bad stuff. And TJ did find a groove. Penalties must improve. Pass defense must improve. But we practically lost to Georgia state last year then competed in every game minus UGA. There’s hope. San Jose is may be not terrible too. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, alexava said:

The first half had me thinking bad stuff. And TJ did find a groove. Penalties must improve. Pass defense must improve. But we practically lost to Georgia state last year then competed in every game minus UGA. There’s hope. San Jose is may be not terrible too. 

i always heard san jose is a giant killer. i could be mistaken as my memory is so bad it is alarming. it might be high sugar. but i think we were looking ahead. and san hose did beat hars one year. he is now five and one and taking in consideration he knows then well i think we barely worked on  them and worked on penn state. even if that was true it will be a rough road. but auburn people need this win. the team needs this win. harsin needs the win. i think this is the most important game we will have played in a while.

Both Mercer and SJSU squib kicked on kickoffs to us. Shame because we have some good returners. It has taken that part of our game away. I hope our coaches have a plan to neutralize that with formation or alignment going forward. Im interested to know if PSU does it. 

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

They gave Robert a real shot to win the job, can’t say he didn’t have that 

I disagree because the San Jose State game probably didn’t go as planned. He threw that one pick and didn’t really a chance to make up for it . TJ has more turnovers than him justified or not it’s still a turnover. IDK how CBH gonna handle it but the teams run average is significantly higher when Robby is in the game

Edited by e808

39 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

The measures some folks will stretch to cope is impressive, is it not? 

True, SJSU is likely not a very good team but plenty of teams in the past have struggled with inferior opponents and gone on to have good and sometimes even great seasons. Look at us in 2017. Struggled with a 5 win Mercer but went on to beat bama and georgia. It really isn't that unusual.

1 hour ago, JerryAU said:

The measures some folks will stretch to cope is impressive, is it not? 

Indeed. Washington beats Portland St by 46. We beat SJSU by 8.

200.gif

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Viper said:

200.gif

and App St dropped 40 on NC and lost then beat TAMU. ND gave up more points to Marshall than they did vs OSU. Apples to oranges 

13 minutes ago, Viper said:

Last year Oregon struggles to beat Fresno State by 6 and the next week they go to Ohio State and win by 7. Fresno State gets beat by Boise State by 26. 

It happens.

• Like 1

Just now, JMassie11 said:

and App St dropped 40 on NC and lost then beat TAMU. ND gave up more points to Marshall than they did vs OSU. Apples to oranges 

Isn’t NC undefeated?

Didn’t SJSU have to come from behind to beat Portland St in the last 2 mins of the game?

Didn’t Portland St have 4 more sacks on SJSU than AU did on SJSU?

4 minutes ago, Viper said:

Isn’t NC undefeated?

Didn’t SJSU have to come from behind to beat Portland St in the last 2 mins of the game?

Your point? You’re still comparing apples to oranges in attempt to rationalize your objective and distain for Harsin. 

1 hour ago, e808 said:

I disagree because the San Jose State game probably didn’t go as planned. He threw that one pick and didn’t really a chance to make up for it . TJ has more turnovers than him justified or not it’s still a turnover. IDK how CBH gonna handle it but the teams run average is significantly higher when Robby is in the game

that’s going to drastically change now that we are playing equal talented and athletic players. Not only that , it is clear he still has growing to do mentally when things don’t go his way. That’s where experience does make a difference.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1

Just now, nurbis said:

Last year Oregon struggles to beat Fresno State by 6 and the next week they go to Ohio State and win by 7. Fresno State gets beat by Boise State by 26. 

It happens.

Fresno lost to Boise NINE weeks after Oregon.

Oregon also gave up exactly 38 to Utah…twice. It happened. 

They are who Utah thought they were.

10 minutes ago, Viper said:

Isn’t NC undefeated?

And if your aunt had balls she'd be your uncle.  Your point?

If anybody thought we wouldn't suck loudly this year, you weren't paying attention 'round about February of this year.  

2 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

Your point? You’re still comparing apples to oranges in attempt to rationalize your objective and distain for Harsin. 

Bottom line is AU struggled to beat a 5-7 Mountain West Conference team, who struggled to beat Portland St, by single digits.

No objective. That’s the facts.

If that’s not alarming, just wait a few games…you too will be disgracing Harsin. As if no one else has. *eyeroll*

• Dislike 1

The thing I find hilarious are the posters who re-appear when things seem rocky.

Let us win come Saturday and there will be an MIA on them. 

• Like 2